PDA

View Full Version : John Rooney first pitch

32nd&Wallace
09-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Anyone see this? I just saw a glimpse of it on the highlights...was it pretty emotional? stabding o? hawk say anything about it?

ND_Sox_Fan
09-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Just got home from the game. It wasn't too emotional. He got a nice ovation, and waved to the crowd. Farmer caught the throw and took a picture with him - that was it.

Pulaski
09-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Just got home from the game. It wasn't too emotional. He got a nice ovation, and waved to the crowd. Farmer caught the throw and took ba picture with him - that was it.

The Score and the Sox need to do something to keep him. He is the best in baseball.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 08:27 PM
The Score and the Sox need to do something to keep him. He is the best in baseball.

THE SCORE is the one who doesn't want him...Instead, they're planning on going home-grown here. Sources say they're highly considering MIKE NORTH. And that is NOT supposed to be in teal here, sadly.

tebman
09-25-2005, 08:43 PM
THE SCORE is the one who doesn't want him...Instead, they're planning on going home-grown here. Sources say they're highly considering MIKE NORTH. And that is NOT supposed to be in teal here, sadly.
What a gruesome thought -- Mike North on every Sox radio broadcast!

Aieeee! Run for your lives!:cower:

32nd&Wallace
09-25-2005, 08:56 PM
What a gruesome thought -- Mike North on every Sox radio broadcast!

Aieeee! Run for your lives!:cower: This would be the worst idea in broadcast sports. The chemistry between Hawk and DJ would be electric compared to Farmer and North. Just because you talk about sports doesn't mean you are in a position to analyze it.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 08:57 PM
This would be the worst idea in broadcast sports. The chemistry between Hawk and DJ would be electric compared to Farmer and North. Just because you talk about sports doesn't mean you are in a position to analyze it.

Mike North talks about sports??? That's new to me!!!

Lip Man 1
09-25-2005, 08:57 PM
For the 8th time, unless you hear someone from the WHITE SOX themselves talking about this it is NOT going to happen. That from a person in the organization.

Lip

gf2020
09-25-2005, 08:58 PM

As Lip has said, we haven't heard anything from the White Sox about North and it's very unlikely that it will happen. Highly is far too strong a word.

EDIT: I should have known Lip would sense something wrong in the Soxverse and comment for himself.

32nd&Wallace
09-25-2005, 09:01 PM
North said on his show last week after he went off on a rant about ozzie that "there's a chance that he might have to see these guys on a plane next year"

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2005, 09:08 PM
North said on his show last week after he went off on a rant about ozzie that "there's a chance that he might have to see these guys on a plane next year"This whole thing is just a charade that North can use to boost his sagging ratings. This is a textbook example of how it works. North is NOT going to be a Sox broadcaster next year.

TDog
09-25-2005, 09:20 PM
This would be the worst idea in broadcast sports. The chemistry between Hawk and DJ would be electric compared to Farmer and North. Just because you talk about sports doesn't mean you are in a position to analyze it.

I can imagine North talking about doing something after the game and Farmer saying, "What do you want, a medal?" It would degenerate from there.

I imagine it could be entertaining -- if you had no interest in the game they were supposed to be calling.

The White Sox should refuse North, as they would have the right to do, and insist on Bill Melton.

As for the subject of the threat,
Rooney had to be received better than Willie Wonka when he throws out the first pitch on Kids Days.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Does anyone know Dave Wills' contract situation with Tampa?

downstairs
09-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Can everyone shut up about Mike North. It is not going to happen. There is one guy who started this rumor, and ironically enough his name is also Mike North.

At best 1/2 of the Sox fans like him, and 1/2 hate him. That makes for good talk radio... but NOT announcers. That's not how the formula works.

Its easy to see how a Mike North works on morning radio. You need to create controversy, be loud, all of that. That's the gig, and always has been in *talk radio*.

But there is no real forum for racism and homophobia as a radio announcer for a baseball game... kinda doesn't quite fit.

Daver
09-25-2005, 09:31 PM

He is under contract for next seaon.

cwsfannick
09-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Borchard for Wills. That has to be a trade of equals on some level.

Stoky44
09-25-2005, 10:09 PM
So I understand that the Score doesn't have the money or want to spend the money to keep Rooney. But why doesn't uncle Jerry do something about it. We are talking a couple hundred thousand at the most. I mean that is not even the league minimum. I hate the Yankees, but if this was "the boss" you know he would do it. No mater who the sox get it will be a step down, unless we steal Vin from LA. In the big picture of things, why the hell can't JR just put out a little of his own cash. But that is always the complaint with that cheap ass.

Thanks John for the memories, you won't be forgoten!

DickAllen72
09-25-2005, 10:16 PM
The Sox should hire Rooney to do the TV play by play.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-25-2005, 10:26 PM
The Score has another contributor who formerly added color (putting it mildly) in the late 1970s. Here he is running the bases - backwards of course.

http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10108000/10108940.jpg
I hope Wills hurries over here after one year of Farmer's PBP.

My dream team would be Rooney & Stone on TV (and then I wouldn't have to worry about listening to the radio).

Tragg
09-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Anyone know what he's paid and the amount in dispute?
It's got to be fairly deminimis in the scheme of things.

32nd&Wallace
09-25-2005, 10:47 PM
Anyone know what he's paid and the amount in dispute?
It's got to be fairly deminimis in the scheme of things.Rooney is probably paid somewhere between half-a-million and a million.

LuvSox
09-25-2005, 10:55 PM
My theory is Rooney wants to be on a national level while broadcasting baseball. Let's face it, he is more than talented enough to be on a national stage. It's time for his career to move forward. It was great seeing him throw the pitch to Farmio today. I'm going to miss him dearly.

TornLabrum
09-25-2005, 11:06 PM

He's signed for two years. I heard a story that the Devil Rays' owner and Jerry Reinsdorf don't get along, so we shouldn't be looking for him to release Dave from his contract.

HotelWhiteSox
09-25-2005, 11:06 PM
He probably wants to go do the Cardinals

At first I thought there was no way the North would get the job, but now I'm a little worried. As seen with the Rooney situation, the Score does the hiring/signing. Also, JR and North seem to get along/be friends. :(:

kevingrt
09-26-2005, 12:56 AM
He is under contract for next seaon.

I would love, not as much as Rooney and Farmer, but a Willis and Farmer booth would not be bad at all.

As for Willis I wanna know his opinion on this season and especially this last month. Dolgin has been good but I want to hear Willis!

TheOldRoman
09-26-2005, 01:37 AM
He's signed for two years. I heard a story that the Devil Rays' owner and Jerry Reinsdorf don't get along, so we shouldn't be looking for him to release Dave from his contract.
That may be true, but after this season a new partner is taking over majority ownership. Vince Namoli, who is one of the worst owners in sports, is finally being forced out.
Most importantly, whether one owner likes another owner or not, I find it hard to imagine he would hold down one of his employees and prevent him from moving up in the world/living his dreams. I liken it to assistant coaches interviewing for head coaching/managerial jobs. The coach's current team has to give the other team permission to interview him, and I have never heard of a case where the permission wasn't given. You don't want to hold someone back like that. Besides that, the person would be upset and likely not do as good a job the next year if the owner kept him down. If Willsy found out that he was the Sox' first choice, and the Rays wouldn't let him out of his contract, Im sure he would be might pissed. An angry worker is not a good worker.

Vernam
09-26-2005, 01:40 AM
Anyone see this? I just saw a glimpse of it on the highlights...was it pretty emotional? stabding o? hawk say anything about it?Where's that "thread hijacked" icon when I need it? Did I miss where the original post mentioned Mike North? :?:

To answer your question, Rooney said in the post-game that he kept his emotions in check until he looked up and saw it was Farmio who would catch the pitch. Then he almost lost it.

A classy guy.

Vernam

StillMissOzzie
09-26-2005, 02:40 AM
I would love, not as much as Rooney and Farmer, but a Willis and Farmer booth would not be bad at all.

As for Willis I wanna know his opinion on this season and especially this last month. Dolgin has been good but I want to hear Willis!

Watchootalkin' bout, Willis? Dontrelle?

I think you are referring to Dave Wills.

SMO
:D:

CLR01
09-26-2005, 06:38 AM
My vote goes to a North/Levine team. Broadcasting excellence.

SoxFanTillDeath
09-26-2005, 08:54 AM
My vote goes to a North/Levine team. Broadcasting excellence.

:tealpolice:
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Uncle_Patrick
09-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Anyone see this? I just saw a glimpse of it on the highlights...was it pretty emotional? stabding o? hawk say anything about it?

I was at the game yesterday. I'd say about half the crowd stood and applauded when John came out to threw the first pitch. I got this feeling that many people around me either weren't really clear on who John Rooney was, or did not understand that he is not going to be back next year. I have to say that I was glad to see John through out that pitch but was feeling quite bummed out realizing that we only have a few games left with him in the broadcast booth.

MsSoxVixen22
09-26-2005, 09:51 AM
I will prob be :whiner: when I listen to Rooney and Farmio's last broascast t/g. I still can't believe he's gonna be gone. I didn't know it was the Score that didn't want him. :redface: I would like to see Farmio paired with Wills or maybe even Carmen from ESPN 1000. (I know that would probably never happen but it's just a thought) I thought Carmen did a respectabel job with the lineups, IMHO, a few weeks ago. Anyone know when they're gonna announce who Rooney's replacement will be?

:gulp: This one's for you Rooney

SouthSide_HitMen
09-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Anyone know when they're gonna announce who Rooney's replacement will be?

My hunch is after the playoffs / World Series when the White Sox will be officially off the air on ESPN and The Score can start pimping White Sox baseball. I also think Ron Kittle will be named the color announcer at that time.

kaufsox
09-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Man, I wish just one, ONE of the broadcasters for the Sox could be a pro. By and large ex-jocks are okay at best, brutal at worst. I can't imagine North getting the job, he is too much of a lightning rod to be a solid choice. BTW, I was at the game and the Rooney toss was quite nice. The Sox did not have to do anything and I thought it was a pretty nice move to recognize his service to the organization.