09-25-2005, 05:09 PM
:winner

5!

buehrle4cy05
5!

tifosiv122
Great way to end the regular home season.

Erik

FielderJones
09-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Good to have you back, dude! That's the Buehrle we know!

Madvora
YESS!!!! Keep this momentum!

PAPChiSox729
Great outing by Mark...

I think he is in the playoff rotation.

:wink:

Erik The Red
The Sox pitching has been nails this last week or so. Now on to Detroit to hopefully sweep and sew up the division before stepping foot in Cleveland.

rdwj
A 2 1/2 game never felt so BIG!!

And a complete game by Buehrle - makes me feel SOOOOO much better!!

Let's win tomorrow and move that lead to 3!

Yorke97
09-25-2005, 05:11 PM
SOX WIN!!

TWINS LOSE!!

INDIANS LOSE!!!

I think that makes for a perfect day!

The Racehorse
Watching Mark Buehrle get the Twins 1, 2, 3 in the bottom of the 9th was a freakin' sight for sore eyes!

:bandance:

HotelWhiteSox
Get the field ready for Oct. 4th Bossard!

PAPChiSox729
09-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Great win tonight. The starters have gotten back on track. As a result, we are starting to rack up the W's once again.

Brian26
09-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Buehrle opened the season in style at the Cell and he ends up closing it (at least until the playoffs) in style. Nice job!

antitwins13
09-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Alright now let's rub D-Town's faces in it

California Sox
09-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Great series for the starting pitching. 4 runs in 26IP. That's pretty phenomenal (even if Minny's lineup is a shell of its former self). Take three out of four from Detroit and we're in!

Does anyone else feel like Maggs will get up for this series?

SoxFan64
A split in Detroit, one of three in Cleveland should do it. I know that is one short but I expect that Cleveland will lose two more games total -- one against us and one against TB.

billnahorodny
A 2 1/2 game never felt so BIG!!

Ain't that the truth! Great game for Mark!

Keep it going!

The Dude
09-25-2005, 05:15 PM
Awesome!! Magic Number on one hand now!

5 ALIVE!

PK delivers, MB delivers....all is well in White Sox land. Shouldve been a 4 game sweep, but we'll take it!

No question this team is going to the playoffs but hopefully in the form of winning the division from those pesky Toons.

MUsoxfan
09-25-2005, 05:15 PM
What a great confidence booster (for both the team and myself). SOLID two games in a row. Dave Wills will be rooting extra hard for the D-Rays this week

FielderJones
09-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Let's fix that Soxogram!

Hey ESPN, bite me!

Brian26
09-25-2005, 05:17 PM
From White Sox.com:

Well-deserved honor: White Sox broadcaster John Rooney called his final home game Sunday afternoon, after spending 18 seasons with the team. Rooney threw out the first pitch to Ed Farmer, his radio broadcast partner.

mike squires
09-25-2005, 05:17 PM
5 with 7 to go actually sounds pretty good especially us playing Detroit and figuring Cleveland loses at least 2 more games. Strap it down folks...It's going to be fun.

IT's all smiles tomorrow Wags!!!

5 whitesox magic number

3 # of working days until Squire has entire month of OCtober off.

daveeym
09-25-2005, 05:18 PM
:gulp:

cbone
I love it! What great pitching these last games. On to Detroit to take care of business! The number is 5!!!!!!

CanBuehrleWait
No question this team is going to the playoffs but hopefully in the form of winning the division from those pesky Toons.

Amen to that. Go Sox. :redneck

Madvora
I predicted this last night.

Sunday - Sox win, Cleveland loses - 2.5 / 5
Monday - Sox win - 3 / 4
Tuesday - Sox lose, Cleveland loses - 3 / 3
Wednesday - Sox win, Cleveland wins - 3 / 2
Thursday - Sox win, Cleveland wins - 3 / 1
Friday - Sox clinch division in Cleveland!

Obviously I hope we don't have any loses here, but this is how I think it's going to play out.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 05:20 PM
What a huge win for our Sox today!!! A 2.5 game lead is huge at this time of the year. Now, we have a two-loss cushion with just a week left. It's gonna take a lot for Cleveland to even tie us (and, we win by default, since we've won the season series).

I think we have the advantage over Cleveland with the next opponents. I'd gladly take playing Detroit over Tampa, since Tampa's much better.

It's time to decrease the magic number by one tomorrow! We can STILL go in to Cleveland with the division already won!

You know, the BEST thing about this weekend was that both of us had four-game series, and Cleveland gained absolutely NOTHING on us in the process. Four games more are knocked off the schedule, and no ground was gained on us!!!

Unregistered
09-25-2005, 05:20 PM
A split in Detroit, one of three in Cleveland should do it. I know that is one short but I expect that Cleveland will lose two more games total -- one against us and one against TB.
No way should we split in Detroit. At least 3 of 4 against that pathetic team.

wags1978
09-25-2005, 05:21 PM
ok ok

i panicked

I believe....

let's keep gas prices low and white sox runs high

TomBradley72
09-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Buehrle? Check.
Garcia? Check.
Contreras? Check.
MacCarthy? Check
Garland? Check..
Rested Bullpen? Check.
Running Game Coming Back? Check.
Solid defense? Check.
Clutch hitting? Check.
Indians showing that they're mortal? Check.
White Sox coming together at the right time? :cheers:

Muopsies
09-25-2005, 05:22 PM
In '59, the sox played cleveland and clinched before finishing the season at detroit. 05, detroit, then finish at cleveland. I'm going with thursday for the clinch

Muopsies
09-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Buehrle? Check.
Garcia? Check.
Contreras? Check.
MacCarthy? Check
Garland? Check..
Rested Bullpen? Check.
Solid defense? Check.
Clutch hitting? Check.

As Lou Brown said in Major League, "It's starting to come together, Pepper, starting to come together"

SOXSINCE'70
09-25-2005, 05:28 PM
SOX WIN!!

TWINS LOSE!!

INDIANS LOSE!!!

I think that makes for a perfect day!

Almost.The sCrUBbies won.:(: :(:

delben91
Beautiful all around.

Put us 3 up tomorrow Jon!

(And the Dolphins won too!! Rejoice!!) :cool:

PAPChiSox729

Meh.

I have one word for you.

FIVE!!

:supernana:

SOXSINCE'70
09-25-2005, 05:29 PM
As Lou Brown said in Major League, "It's starting to come together, Pepper, starting to come together"

Can Harry Doyle call the playoff games??

"The Postgame show is brought to you by.......christ,I can't
find it;to hell with it!!" :D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
09-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Meh.

I have one word for you.

FIVE!!

:supernana:

I'll breathe easier when the number is ZERO.

Iguana775
09-25-2005, 05:34 PM

What do the Cubs have to so with the AL Central?

kitekrazy
Buehrle? Check.
Garcia? Check.
Contreras? Check.
MacCarthy? Check
Garland? Check..
Rested Bullpen? Check.
Solid defense? Check.
Clutch hitting? Check.

Carl Everett multiple Ks? Check.

PAPChiSox729
I'll breathe easier when the number is ZERO.

I think we all will. But still, it is always nice to hear how small that number is getting.

Muopsies
09-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Did Cleveland just have their Brant Brown moment? "A fly ball to Seizmore.......HE DROPPED THE BALL OH NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" I just thought about that.

beckett21
09-25-2005, 05:35 PM

The Sox did what they needed to do against the Twinkies. Another 3 out of 4, and all they need at MOST is one win against Cleveland.

Now that the Tribe lost one, maybe they will realize their own mortality and drop a couple to TB. In that case, this division could be wrapped up before going to Cleveland. :cool:

Just as long as the Sox keep winning, there's nothing Cleveland can do to catch them.:bandance:

1951Campbell
09-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Can Harry Doyle call the playoff games??

"The Postgame show is brought to you by.......christ,I can't
find it;to hell with it!!" :D: :D:

"Nice drop-in SOXSINCE'70, that broadcast school is really paying off!"

:)

5!

kitekrazy
09-25-2005, 05:36 PM

How about a sweep? Wouldn't that clinch a playoff spot?

longshot7
09-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Anyone who thinks Cleveland will catch us is crazy.

Muopsies
09-25-2005, 05:38 PM
How about a sweep? Wouldn't that clinch a playoff spot?

That and one Tampa win will have us clinch Thursday. 2 Tampa wins and it's Wednesday.

TomBradley72
09-25-2005, 05:38 PM

It's Joe Cowley's fault.

longshot7
09-25-2005, 05:40 PM
That and one Tampa win will have us clinch Thursday. 2 Tampa wins and it's Wednesday.

No, if we sweep Detroit, we'd at least tie against Cleveland, and we have the tiebreaker with them.

kitekrazy
Now that the Tribe lost one, maybe they will realize their own mortality and drop a couple to TB. In that case, this division could be wrapped up before going to Cleveland. :cool:

Look at the amount of runs they've given up all week. They play Tampa who hits well and they've thrown a wrench in more than one team's playoff plans.

beckett21
Anyone who thinks Cleveland will catch us is crazy.

It's a lot easier to say this now than it was after that atrocious performance Thursday night.

Fortunately I climbed back in off the ledge Friday morning, and all is right in the White Sox world again. :cool:

SOXSINCE'70

5!

I am the valedictorian of Harry Doyle's broadcasting school.:D: :D:

beckett21
09-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Look at the amount of runs they've given up all week. They play Tampa who hits well and they've thrown a wrench in more than one team's playoff plans.

TB taking it to the Angels today as well.

I'd much rather be playing Detroit than Tampa right now. :D:

tebman
09-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Did Cleveland just have their Brant Brown moment? "A fly ball to Seizmore.......HE DROPPED THE BALL OH NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" I just thought about that.
Y'know, the same thing occurred to me. What if that became the Toons' back-to-reality moment and they went on to lose 3 of their next 4 games? The universe is always seeking equilibrium and I think 17 out of 19 is quite enough -- time for things to even out. :yup:

longshot7
09-25-2005, 05:43 PM
It's a lot easier to say this now than it was after that atrocious performance Thursday night.

Fortunately I climbed back in off the ledge Friday morning, and all is right in the White Sox world again. :cool:

I said it in July, but nobody caught the reference.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 05:43 PM

Somehow, I see visions of Gomes, Cantu, Crawford, and Huff dancing over the Cleveland pitchers this week!!!

All we need from Tampa is for them to take ONE game from Cleveland.

kitekrazy
09-25-2005, 05:44 PM
TB taking it to the Angels today as well.

I'd much rather be playing Detroit than Tampa right now. :D:

I just hope the A's don't overtake the Angels. They could ruin our World Series.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 05:45 PM
I just hope the A's don't overtake the Angels. They could ruin our World Series.

Not happening...The A's is DEAD!!!

DickAllen72
09-25-2005, 05:48 PM

A great win by the Sox today against their nemesis the Twins, Cleveland loses to KC on a dropped ball in the ninth, The Sox extend their lead to 2-1/2 games and cut their magic number by two to 5, and all you can do is rag on Carl?

If you look up "kitekrazy" in the dictionary you'll see a picture of a dark cloud.

BTW, although Carl has been ice cold the last month, who hit the go ahead home run against the Indians last week late in the game? Who got the one out double that stuck in the fence that started off the Sox winning rally the other night?

Carl has always been a streaky hitter, and when he gets hot again, look out.

beckett21
09-25-2005, 05:50 PM

I'm equally respectful of the Angels and the A's. Neither one will be easy. That said, I think the Sox could handle either one in a short series. I don't fear Oakland any more than I do Anaheim (I refuse to call them LA).

Probably the most positive thing to come out of this close race is that the Sox are already effectively playing *playoff* games. They all count from here on out. It's a good dress rehersal for the main event.

slobes
09-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Thank you for that huge game Mark.

Let's go get em in Detroit

kitekrazy
09-25-2005, 05:58 PM
If you look up "kitekrazy" in the dictionary you'll see a picture of a dark cloud.

And now I know why you have the name "dick"?

So what if Carl is streaky. I don't like giving outs away in the lineup. He's pretty consistent at striking out. The guy even complained to the press about being moved down the order.

Read Morrissey's latest column.

FarWestChicago
09-25-2005, 05:59 PM
I just hope the A's don't overtake the Angels. They could ruin our World Series.The A's? :?:

:rolling:

Brian26
09-25-2005, 06:04 PM
No, if we sweep Detroit, we'd at least tie against Cleveland, and we have the tiebreaker with them.

Ah, good point. Really, we only need to get the magic number down to 1 to win the division since we own the season series/tie breaker with Cleveland.

slavko
09-25-2005, 06:05 PM

They did make the playoffs despite that moment. Unforgettable. I was on an exercise bike at the North Suburban YMCA watching the game. All the other exercise bikes stopped as Cubbie fans gasped for breath and I was laughing my arse off and pedaling away.

Sizemore lost the ball in the sun. If Rita had gone in the direction they thought it would instead of veering Northeast, it would have been cloudy in KC today. Somebody up there likes us.

flo-B-flo
09-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Probably the most positive thing to come out of this close race is that the Sox are already effectively playing *playoff* games. They all count from here on out. It's a good dress rehersal for the main event. Even though I liked that they jumped out so far, I was very leary of losing that edge as the season went on. Can't be nothing but good to be playing meaningful games as a preparation for the playoffs. That written They scared me ****less.:cool:

HotelWhiteSox
09-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Ah, good point. Really, we only need to get the magic number down to 1 to win the division since we own the season series/tie breaker with Cleveland.

I thought this is what they had the coin tosses for, if there was a tie (or are you guys describing a different situation)? There's a thread on it somewhere, a tie would force a one game playoff in Cleveland. I agree that it shold be the season series winner, but Selig was jealous of the NFL's overtime system

RSN33
09-25-2005, 06:19 PM

Just thought I would post this, since there seems to be some confusion.

Head-to-Head record has NO BEARING on a tie-breaker for divisional lead.
Every tie is settled via a 1-game playoff as per MLB.com

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050925&content_id=1223384&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Incidentally, Cleveland would host the game, as this was already settled with a coin flip over a week ago.

Edit: HotelWhiteSox just beat me to it.

longshot7
09-25-2005, 06:24 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050925&content_id=1223384&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Incidentally, Cleveland would host the game, as this was already settled with a coin flip over a week ago.

When did this change? And why do we play the regular season anyway? I can understand the wildcard being decided via tiebreaker, but divisions?!!!

mcp5185
09-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Great performance by Mark today, and the bats seem to be coming around a bit. Great series taking 3 of 4 and one more thing.....

5!!!:bandance:

P.S. If we end up tied with the tribe for the division and wild card is there a tie-breaker game or is that decided by the playoff game too?

TommyJohn
09-25-2005, 06:36 PM

I am dead certain that if the White Sox and Indians tie for the division, with
one being the wildcard, there will be no playoff.

eg. Let's say They both finish 98-64. Boston and New York finish 96-66.
Boston and New York would have a playoff, with the loser going home.
The Indians and White Sox would not, as there would be no need. If all
four tie at 98-64, I believe then it would be a different story.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-25-2005, 06:41 PM
When did this change? And why do we play the regular season anyway? I can understand the wildcard being decided via tiebreaker, but divisions?!!!

The coin toss comes into play IF the Sox and Cleveland are tied and NEITHER can qualify as the wild card. This ISN'T going to happen.

If the Sox and Cleveland are tied for the division title with either qualifying as the wild card, the Sox get the division title based on head-to-head games. Cleveland can't catch the Sox regardless of the outcome of next weekend's games. The Sox already clinched it. The Sox have been playing well since last April, remember?
:cool:

MLB will not schedule an extra game to decide a division title when both teams qualify for the playoffs regardless of the outcome. The Sox are awarded the division title on a tiebreaker with Cleveland entering the postseason as the wild card.

Cleveland has an uphill battle and they can blame their lousy effort in the first half for making it so.

Sucks to be Cleveland.

longshot7
09-25-2005, 06:43 PM
The coin toss comes into play IF the Sox and Cleveland are tied and NEITHER can qualify as the wild card. This ISN'T going to happen.

If the Sox and Cleveland are tied for the division title with either qualifying as the wild card, the Sox get the division title based on head-to-head games. Cleveland can't catch the Sox regardless of the outcome of next weekend's games. The Sox already clinched it. The Sox have been playing well since last April, remember?

MLB will not schedule an extra game to decide a division title when both teams qualify for the playoffs regardless of the outcome. Cleveland has an uphill battle and they can blame their lousy effort in the first half for making it so.

Sucks to be Cleveland.

Thanks for explaining. I feel better. Driver's Seat = Us.

RSN33
09-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Guys - read the bulletin.. OF COURSE it matters who wins the division (central). This is why they have 1-game playoffs to determine the winner. It's plainly listed as to what happens if there is a tie for record at the end of play on Sunday.

The wildcard winner goes on the road v. the best divisional winner (so long as they aren't in the same division).

If it was as simple as head-to-head record, they'd have clearly stated that.

Yes, it's too early to worry about what happens - HOWEVER, no team is guaranteed the wild card yet anyway. 3 teams are tied for that right now.

It almost happened last year where the Giants and Dodgers would have played for the divisional win, with the loser of that game having to play Houston the NEXT DAY to determine the wild card. It never happened since the division was won outright.

Here is the first paragraph:

**What if all three divisions in the AL end in a tie?
Next Monday (Oct. 3), the Red Sox would play the Yankees at Yankee Stadium, the White Sox would play the Indians at Jacobs Field and the A's would play the Angels at Angel Stadium. The loser with the best record wins the Wild Card.**

It can't get any clearer than that - head-to-head record does NOT MEAN ANYTHING. Sorry PaleHoseGeorge, but you're wrong.

Here's to a great week of baseball.

eastchicagosoxfan
09-25-2005, 06:46 PM
The Sox now take three of four meaningful games in September against the Twins. What a difference from past performances. A sweep of Detriot is a real possibility, as they are really struggling. Way to GO-GO SOX!!!:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-25-2005, 06:49 PM

Link, please. Link.

RSN33
09-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Link, please. Link.

It's in my first post on this same page, actually -- but here it is again.

longshot7
09-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Guys - read the bulletin.. OF COURSE it matters who wins the division (central). This is why they have 1-game playoffs to determine the winner. It's plainly listed as to what happens if there is a tie for record at the end of play on Sunday.

The wildcard winner goes on the road v. the best divisional winner (so long as they aren't in the same division).

If it was as simple as head-to-head record, they'd have clearly stated that.

Yes, it's too early to worry about what happens - HOWEVER, no team is guaranteed the wild card yet anyway. 3 teams are tied for that right now.

It almost happened last year where the Giants and Dodgers would have played for the divisional win, with the loser of that game having to play Houston the NEXT DAY to determine the wild card. It never happened since the division was won outright.

**What if all three divisions in the AL end in a tie?
Next Monday (Oct. 3), the Red Sox would play the Yankees at Yankee Stadium, the White Sox would play the Indians at Jacobs Field and the A's would play the Angels at Angel Stadium. The loser with the best record wins the Wild Card.**

It can't get any clearer than that - head-to-head record does NOT MEAN ANYTHING. Sorry PaleHoseGeorge, but you're wrong.

Here's to a great week of baseball.

I don't think he is. What is described above is only if two or more divisions (four teams) all finish with the same record. If NY or Boston finish with 96, and Cle & Sox finish with 98, then the Sox have the division, Cle the wild card, and NY & Bos play a playoff to see who stays alive.

RSN33
09-25-2005, 06:52 PM
I don't think he is. What is described above is only if two or more divisions (four teams) all finish with the same record. If NY or Boston finish with 96, and Cle & Sox finish with 98, then the Sox have the division, Cle the wild card, and NY & Bos play a playoff to see who stays alive.

No Longshot...

what is being described is what happens if all divisions are tied, REGARDLESS OF RECORD..

It clearly states that the loser of each game with the BEST RECORD will win the WC.

Yes - - if both NY and Boston are tied with 96 wins and if the WS and Tribe are tied with 98, there's no possible way for the loser of Boston/NY to win the WC.

What it DOES state is that ANY tie DOES require a playoff game and is NOT determined by any kind of head-to-head tie breaker. That's my only point.

MarySwiss
09-25-2005, 06:53 PM

5!

:rolling:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-25-2005, 06:58 PM

Blaspheme - On a Sunday no less.

You are wrong - No tie breaker game if both teams (Division winner & wild card winner) are from the same division.

See NL Central 2001.

longshot7
09-25-2005, 07:02 PM
What it DOES state is that ANY tie DOES require a playoff game and is NOT determined by any kind of head-to-head tie breaker. That's my only point.

I didn't get that from the sample you provided.

SouthSide, what happened in the NL Central 2001?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-25-2005, 07:03 PM
No Longshot...

what is being describe is what happens if all divisions are tied, REGARDLESS OF RECORD..

It clearly states that the loser of each game with the BEST RECORD will win the WC.

That's nuts. This isn't remotely what Bloom is claiming. His article is recapping what happens when teams tie, not what happens to the White Sox and Cleveland if BOTH qualify for the postseason.
:?:

Yes, if the Sox and Cleveland are tied, there will be a playoff in Cleveland. But if both Cleveland and the Sox have superior records to both runner-ups in the East and West divisions -- a very likely scenario given the assumption Cleveland is good enough to catch the Sox -- then it's sayonara to the trailing team from either Boston or New York, Oakland already pushing up daisies.

Bloom says NOTHING about automatic wild cards. That's not the subject he is covering. He just assumes -- like you -- that two teams from a single division won't sew it up by October 3. However this is very real possibility given the placement of the Sox over Cleveland, New York, and Boston.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-25-2005, 07:06 PM
I didn't get that from the sample you provided.

SouthSide, what happened in the NL Central 2001?

St. Louis tied Houston for the NL Central title. Houston was named NL Central Division Champion due to the tie breaker of best head to head record.

Tony LaRussa was livid and demanded a tie breaker game (to gain the #1 seed) to no avail. St. Louis media guides refer to the 2001 team as Co - 2001 NL Central Champions but MLB does not.

ElDuque26
09-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Mark was bananas!!!!

:bandance: B:bandance: A:bandance: N:bandance: A:bandance: N:bandance: A:bandance: S:bandance:

MarySwiss
09-25-2005, 07:13 PM
St. Louis tied Houston for the NL Central title. Houston was named NL Central Division Champion due to the tie breaker of best head to head record.

As it should be, but does anyone know FOR A FACT that that rule is still in effect? It seems to be unclear. There was a thread on this yesterday, but the issue seemed far from clear-cut.

RSN33
09-25-2005, 07:14 PM
PHG, I apologize. You are right.

I have to plead complete confusion on the last 3 bolded statements as being seperate and final regardless of situation. Doesn't anyone else get that same ruling from what he says?

What if the Yankees tie the Red Sox in the AL East?
Next Monday (Oct. 3), the Yankees would host the Red Sox.

What if the Indians and the White Sox are tied in the AL Central?
Next Monday (Oct. 3), the Indians would host the White Sox.

What if the A's and Angels are tied in the AL West?
Next Monday (Oct. 3), the Angels would host the A's.

Why list all 3 in a row as being a playoff without the stipulation of what happened with HOU/STL in 2001?

HOWEVER -- it does bring up some interesting scenarios given the 3-way tie for the WC and tie atop the AL East.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-25-2005, 07:14 PM
As it should be, but does anyone know FOR A FACT that that rule is still in effect? It seems to be unclear. There was a thread on this yesterday, but the issue seemed far from clear-cut.

I would bet my house to a dozen donuts.

If the two teams are tied from the same division with not playoff spot at stake (1 wins the Division, 1 wins the Wild Card) there is no tie breaker team.

I expect Eric Widge to handle it with less whining than LaRussa.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 07:15 PM

Brian Dolgin stated last night on the postgame show that, if the Wild Card doesn't have any other teams in the running, the tie-breaker would be the Sox season series victory.

longshot7
09-25-2005, 07:16 PM
No sweat. We got this.

MarySwiss
09-25-2005, 07:17 PM
I would bet my house to a dozen donuts.

Which way? I sure hope you're right, SouthSide. To my mind, that's how it should be, but who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of MLB?

Best case: we win out and it's a non-issue.

RSN33
09-25-2005, 07:24 PM
http://www.all-baseball.com/ref/wildcard.html#tie

Here it is:

If they both qualify for the postseason and are in a tie - yes, the WS win due to h-2-h.

However, since NY/BOS/CLE are currently all tied (in the loss column anyway), and CLE catches the WSox, that scenario would play out.

Mr. Bloom's scenarios are more than misleading - at least, IMO.
What a day.....:gulp:

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Best case: we win out and it's a non-issue.

We actually have a two-loss cushion, as we currently have three less losses than Cleveland. It's nice to have a small margin for error here. It kinda takes a bit of the "edge" off.

This is good for our Sox, though, so they don't get caught "backing in" to the playoffs, much like they did in 2000.

MarySwiss
09-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Well, I think we can all agree on one thing--it's nuts.

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Well, I think we can all agree on one thing--it's nuts.Why do you think they call it a WILD card?:wink:

MarySwiss
09-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Why do you think they call it a WILD card?:wink:

I think they should call it a NUTS card! :D:

Daver
09-25-2005, 07:49 PM
I think they should call it a NUTS card! :D:

I think they should do away with it completely, but that is just me.

hose
09-25-2005, 07:52 PM
What a great game today!!!!

I still can't believe they got that game in today. As I was standing on the ramp looking at the rain come down in the parking lot I almost started to head for the Green Line.

Dark Clouds = no problem for Burles and the Sox.

Sunshine = a Grady Sizemore loss for Cleveland .:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance :

Ol' No. 2
I think they should call it a NUTS card! :D:It's not as crazy as how they break WC ties in the NFL. Some of those criteria are so obtuse, even the NFL brass can't figure them out. I believe it eventually gets down to road wins over teams with mascots that have fur.

That's why I say "Screw the tiebreakers. Settle it on the field."

Heffalump
Great game today........My wife and I sat in the rain for almost two hours, but it was worth it.............Glad to see Buehrle back to his old form and the offense continue to produce enough to get the job done.

Great job to KC too for pulling one out vs. the Toons!!

Bring on Mags and the kitty kats!!

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 07:55 PM

Maybe they need the elephant gun to do away with it? :cool:

Lip Man 1
09-25-2005, 07:55 PM
The division clinching number is now 5, but what is the number for clinching a post season berth...is it also now at 5?

The Sox could possibly make the Cleveland series meaningless if they keep winning and the Tribe loses a game. That would be the perfect situation. Ozzie can rest a few players every day and Hernandez could get a start to see if he should be on the post season roster or not.

Right now he hasn't pitched in a while and is an unknown for Ozzie.

Lip

ilsox7
09-25-2005, 07:57 PM
The division clinching number is now 5, but what is the number for clinching a post season berth...is it also now at 5?

The Sox could possibly make the Cleveland series meaningless if they keep winning and the Tribe loses a game. That would be the perfect situation. Ozzie can rest a few players every day and Hernandez could get a start to see if he should be on the post season roster or not.

Right now he hasn't pitched in a while and is an unknown for Ozzie.

Lip

Three wins and we're in, no matter what.

A. Cavatica
09-25-2005, 07:57 PM
MLB could mandate that "for the good of the game, since nobody cares about the White Sox" we have to play a tiebreaker even if we finish a game in front of Cleveland.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-25-2005, 08:02 PM
MLB could mandate that "for the good of the game, since nobody cares about the White Sox" we have to play a tiebreaker even if we finish a game in front of Cleveland.

:tool
"Good idea, A. I think the Sox should play at least one "home" game of each playoff series in Milwaukee, too."

PaleHoseGeorge
09-25-2005, 08:09 PM

I believe the postseason clinch is 3. New York and Boston play each other three times so one of them has to lose at least twice. That's what makes it's so nice to have played solid baseball for six months. It makes things so much easier at the end.

As for getting some rest, **** that ****. I'm much happier knowing the Sox are bearing down right now than simply coasting into the playoffs. This has been dress rehearsal for the REAL playoffs.

A. Cavatica
09-25-2005, 08:09 PM
:tool
"Good idea, A. I think the Sox should play at least one "home" game of each playoff series in Milwaukee, too."

Who am I kidding? They wouldn't resort to such a stunt. They'd just assign the Hunter Wendelstedt crew to the Sox-Cleveland series.

ChiSoxGirl
09-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Some thoughts on today's game.

First of all, kudos and MANY, MANY thanks to alohafri for hooking me up with Stadium Club passes for today! It was my first time up there on a game day and it's an experience I won't soon forget! I stayed nice and dry during that hour & nine minute rain delay. It was also nice seeing whitesoxwilkes & his fiancee, Mrs. alohafri, and steff. :smile: We enjoyed some awesome food & spirits and watched the Royals tie it up in the 7th. It was so loud at that point that it sounded like we were watching the Sox up there!!

My signature had reflected a personal losing streak for roughly 10 weeks now, and I'm happy to say that since I went to the game today, my 9 of 10 personal losing streak is now history, baby! :bandance:

I knew Buehrle had his stuff from the very first inning when I think he threw maybe two pitches out of the zone. That feeling- and you all know which feeling I'm referring to- seemed to be back at the ballpark today and it was a long time in coming. Almost everyone contributed to today's HUGE win and Buehrle's complete game salvaged that tired bullpen for yet another day.

In the 2nd or 3rd inning (I forget which) when KC scored in the bottom of the 9th to win it, everyone at Comiskey went crazy and came to their feet for what seemed like a good minute. It was an energetic, happy crowd today and I am so grateful I got to be a part of it.

I didn't "say goodbye" to the ballpark as I usually do on my last game of the season. I usually stay afterwards for a few minutes and let everything soak in because I know I won't be back until April, but seeing as though I'll be back there in about 10 days, it wasn't necessary. :bandance:

mjmcend
09-25-2005, 08:24 PM
If I can count correctly and if it is true that if the Sox and Toons have identical records at the end of the year but are both better than the other wild card teams, the Sox get the division title, then if the Sox sweep Detroit then they are clinch the division regardless of what the Indians, Yankees, or Red Sox do.

If we sweep Detroit then we have 98 wins. Here is how the other teams stack up right now.

Yankees 91 wins, 7 left
Boston 91 wins, 7 left
Indians 92 wins, 6 left

So the max any other team can have is 98 wins, but New York and Boston play each other 3 times so there is no way they both can reach the 98 win mark leaving the loser out of the playoffs. If Cleveland wins out (including sweeping us), we finish with identical records but we get the division title and home field and the #1 seed due to our winning the season head to head series.

What this means...... nothing groundbreaking, but it is nice to know (for me anyway) that if we win the next 4 it doesn't matter what anyone else does or what we do in Cleveland.

longshot7
09-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Three wins and we're in, no matter what.

Four wins.

C-Dawg
09-25-2005, 08:30 PM
In the 2nd or 3rd inning (I forget which) when KC scored in the bottom of the 9th to win it, everyone at Comiskey went crazy and came to their feet for what seemed like a good minute. It was an energetic, happy crowd today and I am so grateful I got to be a part of it.

Over in the RF stands we had to keep turning around to see the scoreboard; when KC won it whoever it was that noticed it first stood up and pointed, and yelled "Hey look, KC won!!". It was cool to hear the cheers from the fans at the Cell.

Did anyone ruin their team posters with the rain? I took along a plastic bag to protect mine, but still had to cover one end of it with a big cup because the bag wasn't big enough. Didn't want that poster to get ruined!

:bandance:

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 08:33 PM
I didn't "say goodbye" to the ballpark as I usually do on my last game of the season. I usually stay afterwards for a few minutes and let everything soak in because I know I won't be back until April, but seeing as though I'll be back there in about 10 days, it wasn't necessary.

I hear ya on that. Last night was my final regular season game, and I didn't even cry over it, even though I've invested so much money and time in this team this year, because I'll be going to the playoff games myself. First game: Home Playoff Game #1.

I can't wait for the playoffs!!! I've never been to a professional playoff game before!!!

SOX ADDICT '73
09-25-2005, 08:40 PM
But Daver, think of all the Dark Clouds who would've offed themselves over the last two weeks if the Sox didn't have the Wild Card to "fall back on"...

Lip Man 1
09-25-2005, 08:43 PM
There is a story on the White Sox web site that says the magic number for both stands at five. I have no idea how they got that, just repeating what it says.

Lip

soxjim
09-25-2005, 08:47 PM
What an exciting game to be at. First I ended my 7 game losing streak. The last time I saw them win in person was on July 4th. Second when the the final score from KC was posted and cheering as the SOX scored with the crowd was just great to be a part of. Third sitting at the park at the end of the game thinking what it would be like to be at a playoff game. Was going to go but the person we were going to go with said my wife and I get to loud. Well he is right there. My wife lost her voice and has to teach school tomorrow. She said it is well worth it. Keep it up SOX and go shut down the tigers big Jon.:bandance:

SOX ADDICT '73
09-25-2005, 08:49 PM
There is a story on the White Sox web site that says the magic number for both stands at five. I have no idea how they got that, just repeating what it says.

Lip
Isn't that site run by MLB, Lip?

If so, maybe they're figuring it's possible that the Yankees and the Red Sox could both win all three of their head-to-head games.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2005, 08:52 PM
For what it's worth:

"They have a magic number of five to clinch the division over Cleveland or a playoff spot over Boston and New York, with four games to play in Detroit and three at Jacobs Field in Cleveland."

Story by Scott Merkin who covers the Sox for the web site.

Lip

ilsox7
09-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Four wins.

No, three. Do the math and it's clear.

EDIT: For the final time, here is the math:

The Sox currently are 94-61. Both New York and Boston have 64 losses. If the Sox win 3 more games, they finish 97-65. If Boston and New York win out up until their series, one team has to win the series. If it goes 2/3 to either team, whoever wins the series ends up 97-65. They win the division. The other team goes 96-66, finishing 1 game behind the Sox. Hence, three more wins and we are in.

Also, as mentioned, if we sweep Detroit, we clinch the division, even though it could be a technical tie (we'd win head to head).

doublem23
09-25-2005, 08:56 PM
For what it's worth:

"They have a magic number of five to clinch the division over Cleveland or a playoff spot over Boston and New York, with four games to play in Detroit and three at Jacobs Field in Cleveland."

Story by Scott Merkin who covers the Sox for the web site.

Lip

That's just the plain old Magic Number that doesn't take into account the Boston-New York series that is upcoming. Either the Yankees or Red Sox are going to lose 2 games this week. You can take that prediction to Vegas. :thumbsup:

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2005, 09:07 PM

Lip

Technically, that's correct.

The magic number is just 163 - Sox wins - X team's losses, without regard to head-to-head matchups.

Since the Yankees, Red Sox and Indians all have 64 losses, our magic number over them is the same.

But if the Sox can win 3 more games, they're in the playoffs, period, due to the fact that either Boston or New York has to lose at least 2 games that final series.

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Way to go MB! :supernana: :bandance: :gulp: :)

GO SOX!

soxtalker
09-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned before. (I think that I got it originally from WSI a couple of years ago.) The RIOT site (http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/%7Ebaseball/american_league.html) (from UC Berkeley) has a calculation of magic numbers that takes the opponents into account. Note that this is refreshed only in the morning, so that today's games haven't been included.

LuvSox
09-25-2005, 09:18 PM
Did anyone ruin their team posters with the rain? I took along a plastic bag to protect mine, but still had to cover one end of it with a big cup because the bag wasn't big enough. Didn't want that poster to get ruined!

I ended up with 5 of those things somehow. I hung one in my garage and gave the rest to neighborhood kids.

bafiarocks03
09-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Wooo! Ok Hi! So, I went to the game today!! It was very fun! Oh except for the whole rain delay thing! Haha I was sitting in my poncho while it was pouring! It was fun! And this lady took a picture of us sitting there, from the Daily Harold, and she took our names and stuff! So you guys all have to go get that paper tomorrow! I'm supposed to be in it! YAY! Ok what else what else..

Oh Ozney was there! before it starting raining and stuff Ozney went out to play catch with Viz and i was like AHHH OZNEY! That made me happy! Bafia was also there too!! And they both batboyed!! I was like YES!! Joe Crede waved at my friend again with her "Crede's my Sweetie" sign. We all got on the JumboTron!!

Oh yah..Our Friend is just awesome! He got us seats in 123 row 4! and we sat there from the 4th inning on! cuz we had all 3 different seats. I was like yes! And Terry Tiffee (i think) threw a ball to us after the inning was over and he threw it over our heads and the guy 2 rows behind us caught it. I was like what!! And i said to the guy, Dude, He was throwing that ball to us!!!!! and i was very mad at that guy! Oh yea and before the game, they had the lineups all up there and stuff, and there was no scotty, and borchard was it there, and casanova, and gload, and anderson! We were like whoa what the heck is going on! Then we kinda got excited becasuse Brian was playing! So we quickly made a sign on the back of my other one, that said Brian, Here's your sign!! because you know last time he was like hey were is my sign! then they changed it and no anderson! we were like what!! Come on!! haha oh then Man Soo Lee signed my you..can..board..yes sign! He's awesome i love that guy!

Anyway!...Afterward in the Parking Lot, Willie came out, and rolled down his window and was agian blowing kisses at me!! I was like ah.........I love you! He's the bestest!!

So ya..and we won! hahah 5!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes!

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Wooo! Ok Hi! So, I went to the game today!! It was very fun! Oh except for the whole rain delay thing! Haha I was sitting in my poncho while it was pouring! It was fun! And this lady took a picture of us sitting there, from the Daily Harold, and she took our names and stuff! So you guys all have to go get that paper tomorrow! I'm supposed to be in it! YAY! Ok what else what else..

Oh Ozney was there! before it starting raining and stuff Ozney went out to play catch with Viz and i was like AHHH OZNEY! That made me happy! Bafia was also there too!! And they both batboyed!! I was like YES!! Joe Crede waved at my friend again with her "Crede's my Sweetie" sign. We all got on the JumboTron!!

Oh yah..Our Friend is just awesome! He got us seats in 123 row 4! and we sat there from the 4th inning on! cuz we had all 3 different seats. I was like yes! And Terry Tiffee (i think) threw a ball to us after the inning was over and he threw it over our heads and the guy 2 rows behind us caught it. I was like what!! And i said to the guy, Dude, He was throwing that ball to us!!!!! and i was very mad at that guy! Oh yea and before the game, they had the lineups all up there and stuff, and there was no scotty, and borchard was it there, and casanova, and gload, and anderson! We were like whoa what the heck is going on! Then we kinda got excited becasuse Brian was playing! So we quickly made a sign on the back of my other one, that said Brian, Here's your sign!! because you know last time he was like hey were is my sign! then they changed it and no anderson! we were like what!! Come on!! haha oh then Man Soo Lee signed my you..can..board..yes sign! He's awesome i love that guy!

Anyway!...Afterward in the Parking Lot, Willie came out, and rolled down his window and was agian blowing kisses at me!! I was like ah.........I love you! He's the bestest!!

*blink*

JUribe1989
09-25-2005, 09:26 PM

Does Willie remember you after all these encounters with him?

Unregistered
09-25-2005, 09:26 PM

.http://www.holt.org/images/mbmvfpo209gb.jpg

LuvSox
09-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Joe Crede waved at my friend again with her "Crede's my Sweetie" sign. We all got on the JumboTron!!

I saw your sign. My wife and I were in the same row as you.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-25-2005, 09:39 PM

No it is not (just you).

Bud Selig, interleague and wild card must go!!!

Daver
09-25-2005, 09:44 PM
No it is not (just you).

Bud Selig, interleague and wild card must go!!!

I like Interleague games, I just don't like the foolishness that is the wildcard.

bafiarocks03
09-25-2005, 10:01 PM
I saw your sign. My wife and I were in the same row as you.

Dude, Are you serious!! Haha awesome! Come on' you had to of known that was me! All the Harris gear. I mean geez! lol!

bafiarocks03
09-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Does Willie remember you after all these encounters with him?

Haha yea!! Of course! :D: And.. only..like 4 months till SoxFest when i meet him again!! :wink:

LuvSox
09-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Dude, Are you serious!! Haha awesome! Come on' you had to of known that was me! All the Harris gear. I mean geez! lol!

I saw your Willie sign and thought to myself "What the...?" I should've known. :D:

We were at the end of the aisle to your left.

lths06
09-25-2005, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE=LuvSox]I saw your Willie sign and thought to myself "What the...?" I should've known. :D: QUOTE]

:kneeslap:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-25-2005, 11:18 PM
I sadly couldn't make the game today after getting a huge welt on my leg from football this morning :(: .

One more day of icing and elevation should get me on track to play next Sunday.

mike squires
09-25-2005, 11:24 PM
ok ok

i panicked

I believe....

let's keep gas prices low and white sox runs high

I think you'll win the gas price bet Wags. LJ made a foolish bet. The 100 win bet...don't we have to win the next 6 of 7. I'm pullin for ya buddy.:gulp:

Cutter
09-25-2005, 11:28 PM
With apologies to John Denver:

Sunshine....In Grady's eyeballs
Makes me happy :wink:

fuzzy_patters
09-25-2005, 11:33 PM
I went to the game today, and what a game it was! It was tremendous fun to sit with the other Sox fans and watch the scores change between Cleveland and Kansas City. When Cleveland lost, the place went up for grabs. People were high fiving each other all over the place. Some guy I don't even know gave me one that left my hand stinging until the seventh inning.

The Sox video montage of the season was wonderful. I had to admit to my wife that I got a little choked up from it. It really has been a magical season. This year's club deserves a special place in all of our hearts for the ride they have given us, regardless of how the season goes from here on out.

The other time I got choked up was win John Rooney threw out the first pitch. I am not a guy that cries much, but I kind of felt like I was losing a family member. He truly is the best anouncer in all of baseball.

By the way, I thought the last sky diver was going to break his neck. He came in there really, really fast. Was anyone else a little worried? If he had broken his neck, that would have really put a damper on the day.

Jjav829
09-25-2005, 11:49 PM
Huge pitching performances this weekend by Contreras, Garcia and Buehrle. I know they came against the crappy Twins offense, but we need the pitching to get back on track in a hurry. These guys each have one more start left and it would be great to see them do the same in their final starts and cruise into the playoffs on a roll.

Good game, Buehrle! :bandance:

mdep524
09-25-2005, 11:53 PM
So I go out of town for the weekend right after possibly the worst loss of the season... and while I'm gone the Sox go 3-0!! I like it. :gulp:

Let's keep rolling through Detroit!

jabrch
09-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Huge pitching performances this weekend by Contreras, Garcia and Buehrle.

McCarthy too to open the series...he got the short end of the stick, but that wasn't his fault...

ilsox7
09-26-2005, 12:05 AM
So I go out of town for the weekend right after possibly the worst loss of the season... and while I'm gone the Sox go 3-0!! I like it. :gulp:

Let's keep rolling through Detroit!

May I suggest going back out of town? I mean, we want to make sure all of the stars stay aligned...

voodoochile
09-26-2005, 12:31 AM
:winner

:indianslose:

:twinslose:

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

5!!!

voodoochile
09-26-2005, 12:42 AM

:hawk
"I love streaming consciousness."

:DJ
"Dude, you don't even know what that means."

:farmer
"I do, but that doesn't mean I want to marry Ms. Bafiarocks. No, I don't date them that young anymore, not since I went to St. Rita have I dated a girl that young. There was this time when I was at Notre Dame when I was dating a high school junior, but she was quite mature for her age and she could do this trick with her tong..."

:rooney
"...And Buehrle retires the side in order again..."

"Can of corn to Rowand and that will do it for the Twins."

"How come it's always a can of corn. Were the peas stored on a lower shelf? What about peaches? Were peaches stored up high or down low?"

"PEACHES! That was her name... and you have to remember, this was before tongue studs. Not studs like as in winning race horses or large muscular men with tattoos, stud like as in ear ring, not that I ever had one or a nose ring for that matter. I always wondered what it must be like for the bull to be led around by one of those by the way. Do you think they like it?"

"Honestly, can any of you blame me for leaving?"

OEO Magglio
09-26-2005, 01:25 AM
"I love streaming consciousness."

"Dude, you don't even know what that means."

"I do, but that doesn't mean I want to marry Ms. Bafiarocks. No, I don't date them that young anymore, not since I went to St. Rita have I dated a girl that young. There was this time when I was at Notre Dame when I was dating a high school junior, but she was quite mature for her age and she could do this trick with her tong..."

"...And Buehrle retires the side in order again..."

"Can of corn to Rowand and that will do it for the Twins."

"How come it's always a can of corn. Were the peas stored on a lower shelf? What about peaches? Were peaches stored up high or down low?"

"PEACHES! That was her name... and you have to remember, this was before tongue studs. Not studs like as in winning race horses or large muscular men with tattoos, stud like as in ear ring, not that I ever had one or a nose ring for that matter. I always wondered what it must be like for the bull to be led around by one of those by the way. Do you think they like it?"

"Honestly, can any of you blame me for leaving?"
lol, well done voodoo.

MUsoxfan
09-26-2005, 01:43 AM
Voodoo....that makes me miss KingXerxes and his "Ask Farmio" thread from last year. :smile:

chopperjc
09-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Four wins.

No it is three for the playoffs the sox need to be up on the Red Sox and Yankees by a combined total of 4 going into the last weekend. Up 1 and 3 or 2 and 2 and there is no way to get caught. With this being said we need 3 out of 4 in Detroit and we are in the playoffs. (I prefer the division and the best record though)

MsSoxVixen22
09-26-2005, 09:24 AM
I didn't get to see the game (I was watching football with friends all day) but I was sooo freakin happy when I saw the Sox won again and even more so when Cleveland lost! Woo-hoo!! Everthing is getting back on track, I'm so excited! Now, if only Pods and Everett can get it going again....

longshot7
09-26-2005, 10:11 AM
No, three. Do the math and it's clear.

EDIT: For the final time, here is the math:

The Sox currently are 94-61. Both New York and Boston have 64 losses. If the Sox win 3 more games, they finish 97-65. If Boston and New York win out up until their series, one team has to win the series. If it goes 2/3 to either team, whoever wins the series ends up 97-65. They win the division. The other team goes 96-66, finishing 1 game behind the Sox. Hence, three more wins and we are in.

Also, as mentioned, if we sweep Detroit, we clinch the division, even though it could be a technical tie (we'd win head to head).

Yes, three wins and we're in the playoffs. But FOUR wins and we win the division. At this point, I want to put those damned Racist Toons in their place - second.

starboy0
09-26-2005, 10:50 AM
It was great being at the park today. I didn't even mind the rain. While it was raining I decide to listen to the KC/Toons game on my satellite radio. KC put up 3 runs to tie it. I decided this was a good luck sign so I kept it in one ear as the Sox began to play. I hate having anything take my 100% concentration away from what's happening on the field but in this case I couldn't pull away. Then KC went ahead 4-3 and of course Cleveland ties it in the 9th. Then in the bottom of the 9th Sizemore loses the ball in the sun and KC scores Berroa.

I couldn't believe it. I started yelling "Kansas City wins, Kansas City wins! People looked immediately to the score board and it wasn't posted yet. It was funny; they wanted to believe me but... - I kept pointing to my radio, "I'm telling you Kansas City won!" Then it was like all the people in my section were collectively willing the scoreboard to change. After a couple of minutes it finally did and they all looked back to me like "Dude, you called it!"

Then I put that radio away and was able to concentrate 100% on Buehrle's great game. What a great day to take that magic number down 2 notches. That has been such a rare occurence.