PDA

View Full Version : Fairly Positive Press from the Arizona Republic

MarySwiss
09-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Reading through the sports section this morning, I came upon a full page spread devoted to famous chokes with a nice big picture of Guillen, Garcia, and Uribe right in the middle. My initial reaction was, "Oh, hell! There goes my breakfast" Especially when I saw that part of the coverage was an interview with a former Sox player--Ron Santo!

But I was pleasantly surprised. The coverage was upbeat and fair. This writer, Joseph A. Reaves, does a weekly ranking and we've been consistently 1st or 2nd all year. And we're still second. His part of the column about "falls to remember" is-IMO-very well-balanced. And it ends with Go Sox! I plan on e-mailing him to thank him.

Anyway: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/0925bbinscolumn0925.html

NonetheLoaiza
09-25-2005, 01:39 PM
I've always like the Republic. That was the paper I would read all the time before class when I went to ASU. Their sports coverage isn't bad at all, especially when they get sick/can't write about the Dbacks.

harwar
09-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Reading through the sports section this morning, I came upon a full page spread devoted to famous chokes with a nice big picture of Guillen, Garcia, and Uribe right in the middle. My initial reaction was, "Oh, hell! There goes my breakfast" Especially when I saw that part of the coverage was an interview with a former Sox player--Ron Santo!

But I was pleasantly surprised. The coverage was upbeat and fair. This writer, Joseph A. Reaves, does a weekly ranking and we've been consistently 1st or 2nd all year. And we're still second. His part of the column about "falls to remember" is-IMO-very well-balanced. And it ends with Go Sox! I plan on e-mailing him to thank him.

Anyway: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/0925bbinscolumn0925.html

When i lived there in the 70's we called it the 'arizona repulsive',it was a different time i guess.
I seem to remember a progressive radio station "KDKB' i think it was,that was a favorite of mine.
I haven't been to Phoenix in a long time,but you used to be able to walk across it in one day.I guess thats would not be possible now,as i hear its turned into another L.A.

MarySwiss
09-25-2005, 04:08 PM
When i lived there in the 70's we called it the 'arizona repulsive',it was a different time i guess.
I seem to remember a progressive radio station "KDKB' i think it was,that was a favorite of mine.
I haven't been to Phoenix in a long time,but you used to be able to walk across it in one day.I guess thats would not be possible now,as i hear its turned into another L.A.

Yeah, it's getting pretty spread out. I've only been in Chandler for 9 years and it's grown like a weed. We have a ways to go to catch LA, though, and I hope that never happens.

The Republic still rarely gets it right; that's why I was so surprised by this coverage.

TDog
09-25-2005, 06:52 PM
When i lived there in the 70's we called it the 'arizona repulsive',it was a different time i guess. ....

People still do.

It's official name used to be the Arizona Republican, back in the days before people demanded newspapers to be politically impartial. Some of the longgggg-time Phoenicians still calls it that, just as my mother in Munster, Ind., still refers to the Munster-based Times of Northwest Indiana as the Hammond Times.