PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Sports Reporters: What an embarassment!

Yorke97
09-25-2005, 10:42 AM
In the second segment of the Sports Reporters discussion started off with the Sox 15-game "collapse." Are we witnessing the greatest collpase in sports history? was the question they led off.

They all, minus Jason Whitlock, basically agreed that, yes, this is the biggest collapse and that the Sox had been playing over their heads all season and finally came back to earth. Whitlock was quick on the draw to give proper credit to the Indians, something noone in the media seems to do. But the other members of the panel changed the focus of the Indians sucess to Kenny Williams failure to aqquire any big names. Whitlock, almost defending Williams, said "they tried to get Griffey," and Mike Lupica , arrogant p****, said "they tried.They TRIED," as to emphasize trying isn't enough, and the Red Sox or Yankees would have sealed any deal if they had TRIED.

I must say anynody who goes on a nationally brodcast show should really consider doing their homework before speaking out of their crack. Mike, NOBODY made any big aqquisitions before July 30, including the sacred Sawx and Yankmees. Mik Lupica shut your butt, your teeth are showing.

veeter
09-25-2005, 10:48 AM
If the two halves of the season were reversed, everyone would be calling the Sox the favorites. The Sox are 4 over the second half. That's not choking. The media better watch out. The Sox could be the only team to "choke" to 100 victories.

downstairs
09-25-2005, 10:49 AM
I luuuuuuuuv spin.

Another way they could have put it: over the last 2 games, we've surged within 2 games of the best record in the entire Major Leagues.

Not that regular season records mean much in the end, but wouldn't it be nice to "collapse" into being the best team in all of baseball?

But then again, this is the same network who follows every at-bat of an admitted steroid user and cheater as he ruins the meaning of yet another major historical record.

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-25-2005, 10:52 AM
I agree that this would be the biggest choke in baseball history, because historically it would be, but in this situation it's not so much of a choke because the Sox have played farely well the second half-just nowhere near the start of the year and the Indians are playing like the first-half Sox. YOu just need to give credit to the Indians resillance.

veeter
09-25-2005, 10:54 AM
I also feel that with the Sox leaving espn, these guys have all been told to rip them whenever they get a chance. And espn has never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Yorke97
09-25-2005, 10:55 AM
I luuuuuuuuv spin.

Another way they could have put it: over the last 2 games, we've surged within 2 games of the best record in the entire Major Leagues.

Not that regular season records mean much in the end, but wouldn't it be nice to "collapse" into being the best team in all of baseball?

But then again, this is the same network who follows every at-bat of an admitted steroid user and cheater as he ruins the meaning of yet another major historical record.

ESPN is really getting on my nerves, but I should've seen it coming. The Sox have been second-guessed by the media all year. The first half noone believed they were for real, and were waiting for the bubble to burst (i.e. Jeff Brantley, reference "crying in beer"). And now that they are playing slightly better than .500, more than can be said of an excused Padres team, they are collapsing. Last time I checked, the team with the best record only has three more wins than the Sox. They should just give the Indians some credit and be done with it.

harwar
09-25-2005, 10:55 AM
The indians are 18 - 4 in sept.Thats so out of the realm of normal thats its almost laughable.
The Sox have struggled in aug.& sept. but no one saw this coming.
I have great difficulty watching those shows without getting extremely upset so i just pass on them.

TomBradley72
09-25-2005, 10:56 AM
As of the Sports Reporters broadcast the biggest chokers in baseball history led the AL in wins with the 2nd most wins in the major leagues.

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2005, 10:58 AM
ESPN is really getting on my nerves, but I should've seen it coming. The Sox have been second-guessed by the media all year. The first half noone believed they were for real, and were waiting for the bubble to burst (i.e. Jeff Brantley, reference "crying in beer"). And now that they are playing slightly better than .500, more than can be said of an excused Padres team, they are collapsing. Last time I checked, the team with the best record only has three more wins than the Sox. They should just give the Indians some credit and be done with it.The first half of the year these idiots insisted the Sox fans would be "crying in their beer" and the Sox kept winning. Then, when they suddenly started giving the Sox their due, the Sox started tanking. Now they start dissing the Sox again and they pull out of it. Keep it up, boys, right through the post-season.

skobabe8
09-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Mike Lupica looks like a guy who never even stepped onto a field of any sport at any level. What a joke.

cubhater
09-25-2005, 11:00 AM
I luuuuuuuuv spin.

As much as I've panicked with our slump and Tribe's hot streak, I keep reminding myself that we STILL have the best record in the AL.

Screw ESPN. I can't wait for their baseball 'experts' to eat their words when we win the WS.

Yorke97
09-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Mike Lupica looks like a guy who never even stepped onto a field of any sport at any level. What a joke.\

I'm not entirely sure that he's ever seen a game at any sport of any level.

skobabe8
09-25-2005, 11:02 AM
As much as I've panicked with our slump and Tribe's hot streak, I keep reminding myself that we STILL have the best record in the AL.

Screw ESPN. I can't wait for their baseball 'experts' to eat their words when we win the WS.

I know thats what you meant to say.

hose
09-25-2005, 11:04 AM
I caught about 3 minutes of this crap, all I was trying to do was see if the Sox highlights were on.

Michael Kay said the Sox were willing to forfeit the make up game with the Red Sox.:?:

This was made up by the NY press and I guess they are sticking to their story. The national media doesn't have a clue about the White Sox.

Any reference to the A's making up 15 games to over take the Angels by the AS break only to fall out of the race at the end?

Yorke97
09-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Any reference to the A's making up 15 games to over take the Angels by the AS break only to fall out of the race at the end?

Mike Lupica: "Do the Angels or A's play on the East Coast, because I've never heard of them."

cubhater
09-25-2005, 11:09 AM
I know thats what you meant to say.

It could be in either teal or deep pink. It would be soooooo satisfying to hear them eat their words but it's not gonna happen with those idiots.

oeo
09-25-2005, 11:25 AM
I love how everyone says they failed in the respect of not getting anyone at the deadline...Well we did try, but who did get a "big name"?

Another thing, the Sox have a historic first half and we get the they're not playing anybody routine. The Indians get hot the last TWO MONTHS and they're the second coming of Christ. We were playing over our heads, but the Indians are going to play .750 baseball over the next 5 years. Give me a break.

veeter
09-25-2005, 11:33 AM
If KW had pulled off that Griffey trade, disaster would have ensued. And you know espn would have been right there next year, to say it was the worst trade in baseball history. A broken down, EXPENSIVE Griffey for McCarthy, Chris Young and maybe more. Thank God for the Cincy owner.

nasox
09-25-2005, 11:36 AM
\

I'm not entirely sure that he's ever seen a game at any sport of any level.

Which is an important distinction to make. Take Rooney, he never was a good player, but as an analyist and PbPer, he's great. You don't have to play well to know the game.

kevingrt
09-25-2005, 11:40 AM
The Sports Reporters are one the of the most overrated shows in the planet. I was OK with it when Dick Schapp was still around, but know that he is gone there is no reason to watch it.

I don't thin half the of the reporters watch anything besides East Coast sports and that is just insane. Stupid East Coast bias is SO annoying. You think ESPN would figure it out sometime. Oh wait they are building a studio in LA

DumpJerry
09-25-2005, 11:44 AM
If the Tribe were in the AL East, the Sox would be ignored completely by the local and national media becaus we would have clinched two weeks ago.

The bottom line is that the Sox are in the driver's seat here. Every day that passes without the Tribe in first is another day wasted because time is running out for them. If we get the game in today (weather issues), we can win without trouble. Then we got to Detroit for four, a team we owned earlier this month and all season. Should we beat the Twins today and sweep the Tigers, then we go to Cleveland needing to win one, ONE, game to clinch if Cleveland loses one game between now and then. We can lose the first two in Cleveland and still clinch by winning game 3. We can be in a position to deny Cleveland the WC when it is all said and done if the Red Sawx/Spanks series is a sweep by the team leding the AL East going into next weekend.
It would be sweet if we deny them the WC.:D:

I would love to play the WC in the ALDS and the AL East champs in the ALCS after they dispose of the Angels in the ALDS.

TDog
09-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Michael Kay said the Sox were willing to forfeit the make up game with the Red Sox.:?:

That makeup game that the White Sox won?

The stuff I read about ESPN makes me happy I live without television.

SOXSINCE'70
09-25-2005, 01:22 PM
espn has never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

:giangreco:moron:clueless:knue

"That's funny.Our bosses tell us the same thing.":angry: :angry:

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-25-2005, 01:59 PM
I love how everyone says they failed in the respect of not getting anyone at the deadline...Well we did try, but who did get a "big name"

BINGO. That's key....not only did we not get anyone, but WHO was really available (besides KG)? And, isn't it humorous how all the soothsayers who wanted Griffey are NOW the bandwagon leapers? Amazing how their ability to say how wrong they were must have been edited out.

:moron

"I've not been wrong all season....unless you count my hairdo. Trump's got nothing on me....but my hair is Reinsdorf's fault."