PDA

View Full Version : The Final Game of the Year vs. Cleveland

Heffalump
09-24-2005, 09:04 PM
Just a hypothetical here..........McCarthy is scheduled to start this game. If the Division comes down to the last game of the year, should Ozzie go with the Kid or bring back someone else on short rest?

Brandon has been pitching lights out, but I'm not sure Ozzie trusts a rookie to start such a big game. Would he bring back Contreras on 4 days rest?...But then this would possibly knock Contreras out of starting in the playoffs until game 3 or 4.

What do you guys (and gals) think?

Oh yeah, And GO SOX!!

Soxfanspcu11
09-24-2005, 09:07 PM
It depends how Jose's last start prior to that game goes. I dont want to make Jose tired so I would say McCarthy, he has already pitched in 2 "high-intensity" games, against the cubs and Boston so I have faith in him.

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-24-2005, 09:12 PM
I'd personally like to see BMac start the last game as he has shut down 2 of the toughest offenses in baseball on the road and this would certainly be one of the toughest offenses and it's on the road. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Count start this game as great as he's been. I think it would be wiser to start BMac in this game, because even if they lose this game they'd most likely win the WC, depending on what they do this week, and have Contreras fresh to start the first game of the playoffs to get us off on the right track. Also, if Count does start the last game and is unable to start the first playoff game who is your starter for that game?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-24-2005, 09:15 PM
That game is still over a week away. Nobody can predict what will happen between now and then. Furthermore what does happen between now and then will determine who is chosen to pitch that game.

If it's strictly a game to decide the division title, the loser is almost certainly guaranteed the wild card. In that case I pitch the regularly scheduled starter and play the game straight. The goal is winning a playoff spot, not the division.

Let's save all the do-or-die theatrics for games that REALLY are do-or-die, the ALDS. The first of these can't come before October 5.

mantis1212
09-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Definitely go with McCarthy. He's shut down Texas and Boston on the road recently (both HUGE games) as well as giving the Sox a GOLDEN opportunity to beat Minnesota when Santana started (how often has that happened?)

This will line up Contreras perfectly to start Game 1 of the playoffs, followed by whichever underacheiving "big 3" pitcher Ozzie feels is the right choice...

MRKARNO
09-24-2005, 09:18 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that you go with McCarthy. No one has been able to touch him lately, so I think it would only be fair to give him the start against the Indians. If there's a one game playoff at that point, Contreras would start the playoff game. If it leads to the Sox winning the division, Contreras starts Game 1 at home against Anaheim. If it leads to the Sox losing the division and winning the Wild Card, Contreras starts game one in New York or Boston.

The rotation is set up well enough as it is. There is no use in messing with it at this point. We're almost certainly making the playoffs, as we only need 4 wins and a hard to explain combo of Red Sox and Yankee losses (it's explained in the "Real Magic Number" Thread) to make the playoffs.

Heffalump
09-24-2005, 09:21 PM
That game is still over a week away. Nobody can predict what will happen between now and then. Furthermore what does happen between now and then will determine who is chosen to pitch that game.

If it's strictly a game to decide the division title, the loser is almost certainly guaranteed the wild card. In that case I pitch the regularly scheduled starter and play the game straight. The goal is winning a playoff spot, not the division.

Let's save all the do-or-die theatrics for games that REALLY are do-or-die, the ALDS. The first of these can't come before October 5.

Like I said, just a hypothetical......Something to discuss......Yes, based on right now the loser would probably win the wild card, but things could change (hopefully to the point where the game doesn't matter and Ozzie starts my Uncle Larry)......I'm just trying to contribute to the site without getting too radical/opinionated and thus, getting in trouble, I don't understand why you need to "knock down" my topic here.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Knocking it down? You got an answer, not a reprimand.
:?:

Lip Man 1
09-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Ozzie is quoted in the papers today as saying basically it depends but that if needed he would consider using Contreras the final day on three days rest if he thought Jose could do it.

Lip

SoxFan64
09-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Ozzie is quoted in the papers today as saying basically it depends but that if needed he would consider using Contreras the final day on three days rest if he thought Jose could do it.

Lip

I say save Contreras for the first playoff game. I like the way the rotation sets up for the playoffs -- Contreras, Garcia, Buerhle and Garland.

So if we need the last game in Cleveland it is either McCarthy or The Duke. I may get shot for this with everyone falling over McCarthy (and he has pitched very well) but we brought on Hernandez to pitch the big games. So I say if we need game #162 give me the Duke.

RallyBowl
09-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Like I said, just a hypothetical......Something to discuss......Yes, based on right now the loser would probably win the wild card, but things could change (hopefully to the point where the game doesn't matter and Ozzie starts my Uncle Larry)......I'm just trying to contribute to the site without getting too radical/opinionated and thus, getting in trouble, I don't understand why you need to "knock down" my topic here.

Hmm. Can Uncle Larry bat 3rd too?

StillMissOzzie
09-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Here's my Christmas wish list. The Sox have it all sewn up by then, the Yankees need the Sox to win to get the WC spot, and we trot Jon Adkins out there to save the starters for the first round of the playoffs. After all the Yankees have done for the White Sox over the last 50 years or so, it's the least we could do.

SMO
:gulp:

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Here's my Christmas wish list. The Sox have it all sewn up by then, the Yankees need the Sox to win to get the WC spot, and we trot Jon Adkins out there to save the starters for the first round of the playoffs. After all the Yankees have done for the White Sox over the last 50 years or so, it's the least we could do.

SMO
:gulp:

Will we be having Damaso Marte as our scheduled closer for that one as well? :D:

Erik The Red
09-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Hopefully the final game won't matter. Save Jose for Game 1 of the ALDS.

kitekrazy
09-25-2005, 05:47 PM

I would think that's what it would come down to. If it's for the title after a guaranteed playoff spot, I'd go with El Duce.