PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Going To Detroit?

Brian26
09-24-2005, 09:17 PM
I just finished booking a hotel and buying tickets for Wednesday and Thursday. I've saved up a ton of vacation time this year, so I'm going to use a few days at the end of next week. I'll be right behind the Sox dugout...hopefully we can clinch the AL Central title before going to Cleveland.

Daver
09-24-2005, 09:19 PM
If you make it by Sunrize Acres tell Ted and Shemane I said hello.

Brian26
09-24-2005, 11:16 PM
If you make it by Sunrize Acres tell Ted and Shemane I said hello.

LOL, probably won't have time to say hi to Ted or his gun collection...but I might hit Hockeytown for some grub.

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2005, 09:21 PM
If the Sox can get their magic number down to 1 before Thursday's game against the Tiggers, I'm going to roadtrip it there and hook up with my brother-in-law to watch the game. The odds of either a Sox W or a Cleveland loss that night are 75%, so chances would be good for a clinching celebration.

In order to do this, though, the Sox need to win their first 3 games and the Indians would need to lose 1 of 2 to the D-Rays, or 2 Sox Ws/2 Indians Ls.

Anyway, it's an interesting scenario. Dunno if I have it in me to travel to Cleveland, though.

[edit: OK, just realized the Sox/Tigers game is at 1:05pm Eastern Time, and the Indians game is at 7:05pm. Hmm.]

boiler up
09-25-2005, 09:21 PM
I'll be at all four games this week. Anyone going to any of the games? I live about 20 minutes from the comerica.

hose
09-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Possibly Wed, but Thursday for sure.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 09:23 PM
One thing to note here...Chicago is 5-0 at Comerica Park this year. :smile:

DrFunk
09-25-2005, 09:28 PM
I hope they clinch it on Thursday. Don't get me wrong, if they clinch Wednesday, that'll be fine with me too.

Myself, my girlfriend, and another couple are checking out other ballparks whenever we can, and we're going to Detroit on Thursday, and then onto Toronto to catch a game there. We were going to do this about a month ago but work schedules messed that up, and it's just luck for me that the Sox are playing detroit then.

Brian26
09-25-2005, 09:35 PM
I'm going up for Wednesday's night game and Thursday's day game.

Brian26
09-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Anyone ever been to Hockeytown?

chisoxfan83
09-25-2005, 09:36 PM
im pricing as we speak! It would be good to have a WSI gathering at comerica

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 09:38 PM

Excuse me while I barf for hearing that "H" word in reference to Detroit...

No, but check out www.detroityes.com for all you'd ever wanna know about the city.

CHISOXFAN13
09-25-2005, 09:43 PM
If the Sox have a chance to clinch in Detroit, I will be there if I have to drive alone.

HotelWhiteSox
09-25-2005, 09:51 PM
I'm going with Mark Giangreco

LuvSox
09-25-2005, 10:07 PM

Congratulations

whitesoxwilkes
09-25-2005, 10:13 PM

Yeah. Good sports bar type place with typical sports bar type fare.

Cat Thief
09-26-2005, 08:16 AM
Does anyone know which hotels are moderately priced but still pretty nice?

boiler up
09-26-2005, 08:20 AM
where is everyone sitting? we should see if we can all get in the general area of each other to make a strong showing of sox fans. i'll be getting my tickets at the game because they're half price.

Lillian
09-26-2005, 08:54 AM
What is the best way to get good seats for those games in Detroit?
Also, what is the best place to stay near the Park?

Hangar18
09-26-2005, 09:34 AM
I just finished booking a hotel and buying tickets for Wednesday and Thursday. I've saved up a ton of vacation time this year, so I'm going to use a few days at the end of next week. I'll be right behind the Sox dugout...hopefully we can clinch the AL Central title before going to Cleveland.

Im thinking of leaving Thurs AM, hitting Detroit for the afternoon game, and DEFINITELY to Cleveland.

Rocky Soprano
09-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Depending on what the magic number is, I might be there Wednesday. Thursday for sure.

If not I will be in Cleveland.

skobabe8
09-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Tentative plans say I'll be there Thursday. Cant stay for the night, but thats allright.

Hangar18
09-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Depending on what the magic number is, I might be there Wednesday. Thursday for sure.

If not I will be in Cleveland.

Same here ............ playing this week by ear!!!!!

Corlose 15
09-26-2005, 01:07 PM
What is the best way to get good seats for those games in Detroit?
Also, what is the best place to stay near the Park?

Try the pepsi stands in right field. Its an $8 ticket and you get a voucher for a free pop and a slice of pizza or dog.

JimH
09-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Good place to stay not far from Comerica is the Shorecrest Motor Inn, 1316 E. Jefferson, toll free 800-992-9616. Non descript, not fancy, sort of a Super 8 type of place. Very good breakfast place attached. Two story motel, park out in front. Jefferson Ave. is the big main drag in downtown Detroit, the Renaissance Center is also on Jefferson. Shorecrest is about two blocks from the Ren Cen and 5 mins. from Comerica.

Good place to eat and have a few drinks: Jacoby's Since 1904, www.jacobys1904.com (http://www.jacobys1904.com/) , Detroit's oldest saloon and restaurant serving very good sandwiches, all sorts of unique Canadian beer on tap, lake perch, and German food.

Also, in the Eastern Market (about 5 mins. from the Shorecrest) www.easternmarket.org (http://www.easternmarket.org/) be sure to visit Butcher's Saloon for a great cheap breakfast or lunch. They also have Labatt Blue on tap and several other local and Canadian selections. Highly recommended.

For a hot dog and chili, right downtown on Lafeyette Ave. and open 24 hours is American Coney Island, 114 Lafeyette Ave. It's been around since 1914.

Tiger Stadium is still there and it's about a mile from Comerica, there's a great local bar near it on Michigan Ave. called Nemo's. Good food, good drinks and a nice crowd. They have a shuttle to the game, which is a good idea because parking at the Comerica lots is expensive and I personally don't recommend street parking. http://info.detnews.com/restaurants/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.singleresults&restaurantid=143&locationid=141

As for Hockeytown Cafe/Sports Bar ... if you like mediocre food, overpriced drinks, and all sorts of Red Wings memorabilia staring you in the face, be my guest.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-26-2005, 01:36 PM
I think I am going to the Wednesday / Thursday games if the White Sox can clinch. I am not heading to Cleveland as they are sold out on the weekend (though may go Friday if the Sox can clinch).

Might stay in Windsor - don't know if there are any safe places to stay in Detroit (I've stayed in Windsor a few times without incident). Plus I have parked on the street for a Tigers game but overnight parking in Detroit is a gamble I am not up for.

Rocky Soprano
09-26-2005, 01:37 PM
Anyone know where the team stays?

Hangar18
09-26-2005, 01:41 PM

The guy from Abc-7?

chisoxfan83
09-26-2005, 01:45 PM
in the media guide it says the team stays at the Ritz Carlton which is anywhere from $220-299 a night. I am gonna stay at the radisson or hilton in windosr. There is more of a nightlife there than detroit.

steff
09-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Anyone know where the team stays?

The Ritz in Dearborn by the mall.

JimH
09-26-2005, 01:49 PM
in the media guide it says the team stays at the Ritz Carlton which is anywhere from $220-299 a night. I am gonna stay at the radisson or hilton in windosr. There is more of a nightlife there than detroit.

About 10 minutes north from Comerica on Cass Ave. there's a 3-4 block stretch of great bars and nightlife ... about the 5400-5600 block area. Live music, several restaurants, different types of bars, etc. Park once and hit a few places.

Brian26
09-26-2005, 01:53 PM
The Ritz in Dearborn by the mall.

25 minutes away and $300-$350 a night. Not quite worth the money for the privilege of hanging out with Timo Perez in the hotel bar until 4am :D:

I found a nice hotel in downtown Detroit for $100 a night. I can't justify staying in the City for more than a night, but it should be a fun two days of baseball.

Anyone know if it's fairly easy to catch a cab around Comerica?

cubhater
09-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Does anyone know which hotels are moderately priced but still pretty nice?

There's a Holiday Inn less than 1/2 a mile away from Comerica. It's not bad. We stayed there last year and rooms were $88 a night. No free parking but there was a lot across the street for $14. For what it's worth, a free continental breakfast in the AM.

Right now I'm undecided about making the trip. If I do go, it'll be for Wed and Thurs.

cubhater
09-26-2005, 05:51 PM
where is everyone sitting? we should see if we can all get in the general area of each other to make a strong showing of sox fans. i'll be getting my tickets at the game because they're half price.

It won't matter where Sox fans sit, we'll be the only ones there.:cool:

steff
09-26-2005, 05:55 PM
What the heck do you guys need to sleep for..? Just gamble all night. :D:

Mohoney
09-26-2005, 05:57 PM
What the heck do you guys need to sleep for..? Just gamble all night. :D:

I keep trying that, but it never works! I just end up broke AND tired.