PDA

View Full Version : O-lee-O-lady O-lady-I-O

jabrch
09-24-2005, 05:43 PM
After back to back serieses vs the Twins and the Injuns, I'm tired of Hardrock and Coco and Joe!

That said - nice job by Nancy taking a true Chicago classic and incorporating it into her music. Bozo, Garfield Goose, Suzie Snowflake and Nancy...some of Chicago's greatest traditions!!!!

longshot7
09-24-2005, 05:49 PM
what are you talking about?

Unregistered
09-24-2005, 05:57 PM
http://www.hotoffthepressonline.com/prodimg/drunk.jpg
:bandance:

jabrch
09-24-2005, 05:57 PM
what are you talking about?

Nancy plays the music to Hardrock, Coco and Joe whenever either Crisp or Mauer comes to the plate. After being at 4 games this week, I'm tired of hearing it...that's all...

SOXSINCE'70
09-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Anyone who grew up in Chicago in the 60's or 70's has to
remember an era before WGN was a "superstation".Back then,
you woke up,got ready for school,caught a few minutes of
"Ray Rayner and Friends" if time permitted,and you knew that
around Christmas,you'd see short cartoons involving a trio
known as "Hardrock,Coco and Joe" (they were Santa's helpers,IIRC)
or you'd see a short involving "Suzy Snowflake" or "Frosty The Snowman".

This was before cable,kids (DUH!!).Pardon our ages.
Thjey apparently are showing.:redface: :redface:

"O-lee-o-lady I,lady I-O
I'm Hardrock,i'm Coco,i'm (short pause) Joe".

Now,I long to come home and watch "Garfield Goose and Friends"
or cry to my Mom whenever the sCrUBS postponed my weekday
afternoon reruns of "Batman" or "The Flintstones".:angry: :angry: :angry:

I knew there was a reason I hated those bastards!!
How dare you postpone "Batman"!!:D: :D:

tebman
09-24-2005, 06:52 PM
remember an era before WGN was a "superstation".Back then,
you woke up,got ready for school,caught a few minutes of
"Ray Rayner and Friends" if time permitted,and you knew that
around Christmas,you'd see short cartoons involving a duo
known as "Hardrock,Coco and Joe" (they were Santa's helpers,IIRC)
or you'd see a short involving "Suzy Snowflake" or "Frosty The Snowman".

This was before cable,kids (DUH!!).Pardon our ages.
Thjey apparently are showing.:redface: :redface:

"O-lee-o-lady I,lady I-O
I'm Hardrock,i'm Coco,i'm (short pause) Joe".

Now,I long to come home and watch "Garfield Goose and Friends"
or cry to my Mom whenever the sCrUBS postponed my weekday
afternoon reruns of "Batman" or "The Flintstones".:angry: :angry: :angry:

I knew there was a reason I hated those bastards!!
How dare you postpone "Batman"!!:D: :D:
The straight dope on Hardrock, Coco and Joe is at this site (http://members.tripod.com/lisawebworld1/chicagoland.html), where somebody has put together a great collection of old Chicago kids' shows, including videos of HR&C, Suzy Snowflake, and others. Also Bozo, Ray Rayner, and other cool stuff.

Nancy, as always, has nailed it again! :thumbsup:

StillMissOzzie
09-24-2005, 09:24 PM
remember an era before WGN was a "superstation".Back then, you woke up, got ready for school,caught a few minutes of "Ray Rayner and Friends" if time permitted,and you knew that around Christmas,you'd see short cartoons involving a duo known as "Hardrock,Coco and Joe"

Um, that makes a trio.

I've lived in the 'burbs of Chicago all my life, and I remember all of this stuff.

SMO
:D:

Tannerfan
09-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Wow, I always loved Hardrock, Cocoa, and Joe. I'm sitting in my TV room in Los Angeles thinking about Ray Rayner and all those notes pined to his jumpsuit, and Chelsea the Duck and Diver Dan. :redface: :redface:

chisoxfan64
09-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Wow, I always loved Hardrock, Cocoa, and Joe. I'm sitting in my TV room in Los Angeles thinking about Ray Rayner and all those notes pined to his jumpsuit, and Chelsea the Duck and Diver Dan. :redface: :redface:

Chelveston the duck.

kitekrazy
09-24-2005, 10:32 PM
The straight dope on Hardrock, Coco and Joe is at this site (http://members.tripod.com/lisawebworld1/chicagoland.html), where somebody has put together a great collection of old Chicago kids' shows, including videos of HR&C, Suzy Snowflake, and others. Also Bozo, Ray Rayner, and other cool stuff.

Thanks for the link. Todays kids have Spongebob and we had Ray Raynor-no comparison.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the link. Todays kids have Spongebob and we had Ray Raynor-no comparison.

And don't forget we had Chelveston and Cuddly Duddly, too!
:wink:

http://www.rogersbasement.com/images/raytitl.jpg

Tannerfan
09-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Chelveston the duck.

You are correct sir. Thank you.

RadioheadRocks
09-24-2005, 10:39 PM
"... and Santa is busy with his heavy sack, he trusts his drivers and never looks back..." :D:

chisoxfan64
09-24-2005, 10:47 PM
"... and Santa is busy with his heavy sack, he trusts his drivers and never looks back..." :D:

Ahhh it was so innocent back then.:smile:

beckett21
09-24-2005, 10:50 PM

I'd also like to thank you for the link. Good stuff.

Boy that brings back some good memories of a simpler time. :smile:

tebman
09-24-2005, 11:16 PM
I'd also like to thank you for the link. Good stuff.

Boy that brings back some good memories of a simpler time. :smile:
It's really a great site. I found it for my sister who lives in North Carolina -- she had been talking about Hardrock Coco & Joe. Tonight I spent some more time there after posting and prowled on further down and on to the second page, and there's an enormous amount of Chicago-area pop-culture history available: stores, radio, amusement parks, even links to histories of U.S. 30 Drag Strip and Santa Fe Speedway. There's also a video of the Max Headroom pirate broadcast on Channel 11 in 1985 -- now that was cool!

Ah, how did we ever get along before the internet?

MarySwiss
09-24-2005, 11:26 PM

After I graduated HS in 1970, I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up. (In fact, I still don't know!) So I worked as a waitress for a time. One of my jobs was at Barney's Market Club on Randolph St. Ray Rayner was a regular customer there. If I hadn't already been a fan of his, his demeanor would have made me one. Even though I did not know him well, I was sorry to hear of his passing. A very nice, soft-spoken gentleman.

Viva Medias B's
09-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Wow. We could almost call this thread "Defunct Chicago Children's Shows."

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2005, 12:38 AM
Even before Bozo they had Lunchtime Little Theater with Uncle Bucky, Uncle Ned (later to become Ringmaster Ned on Bozo's circus) and Aunt Dotie. Also Dick "Two Ton" Baker, Commando Cody, and Kukla, Fran and Ollie. God, I feel old.

SaltyPretzel
09-25-2005, 12:47 AM
How about Gigglesnort Hotel? I loved it as a kid, but looking back, I can't get over how creepy it was.

http://www.tvparty.com/vgifs2/gig.gif

TornLabrum
09-25-2005, 08:21 AM
Even before Bozo they had Lunchtime Little Theater with Uncle Bucky, Uncle Ned (later to become Ringmaster Ned on Bozo's circus) and Aunt Dotie. Also Dick "Two Ton" Baker, Commando Cody, and Kukla, Fran and Ollie. God, I feel old.

You left out Elmer the Elephant (with John Conrad) and Uncle Johnny Coons.

Dick Baker had a gig at, I think, the Ivanhoe where Pat Pieper, the Cubs field announcer worked as a waiter. Years ago when I read Duke Ellington's non-autobiography Music Is My Mistress, he mentioned that he always made it a point to go there to see him play. Baker's show in the '50s was "The Happy Pirates. It featured Art Hearn as "First Mate Moby," and the same puppeteer as Garfield Goose.

I can still remember some of Baker's shtick:

"Today is Monday.
Today is Monday.
Monday Washday
Everybody Happy,
Well, I should say."

"How're ya feeling?
Tip Top!" (For the show's sponsor, Tip Top Bread)

"Has anybody here seen Bubbles?
B-U-B-B-L-E-S
Has anybody here seen Bubbles?

Hey Squawkee! Have you seen bulbbles?"

Bubble was a puppet porpose. Squawkee was a live parrot for which someone off stage would do the voice.

SOXSINCE'70
09-25-2005, 09:16 AM
Um, that makes a trio.

I've lived in the 'burbs of Chicago all my life, and I remember all of this stuff.

SMO
:D:

It's been corrected.Thanks.

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2005, 09:25 AM

Dick Baker had a gig at, I think, the Ivanhoe where Pat Pieper, the Cubs field announcer worked as a waiter. Years ago when I read Duke Ellington's non-autobiography Music Is My Mistress, he mentioned that he always made it a point to go there to see him play. Baker's show in the '50s was "The Happy Pirates. It featured Art Hearn as "First Mate Moby," and the same puppeteer as Garfield Goose.

I can still remember some of Baker's shtick:

"Today is Monday.
Today is Monday.
Monday Washday
Everybody Happy,
Well, I should say."

"How're ya feeling?
Tip Top!" (For the show's sponsor, Tip Top Bread)

"Has anybody here seen Bubbles?
B-U-B-B-L-E-S
Has anybody here seen Bubbles?

Hey Squawkee! Have you seen bulbbles?"

Bubble was a puppet porpose. Squawkee was a live parrot for which someone off stage would do the voice.Yup. He had a different "Today is ___" variation for every day of the week. Monday was washday, Wednesday was soup, Friday fish...I can't recall Tuesday and Thursday.

And then, of course, there's the grandaddy of all kids' shows:

http://www.tvacres.com/images/buffalo_bob.jpg Hey kids!! What time is it?

daveeym
09-25-2005, 09:32 AM

Nancy, as always, has nailed it again! :thumbsup: OOH thanks, my parents are gonna love this site.

jabrch
09-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Yup. He had a different "Today is ___" variation for every day of the week. Monday was washday, Wednesday was soup, Friday fish...I can't recall Tuesday and Thursday.

I'm pretty sure that Thursday was "Roast Beef"

jabrch
09-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Here's the story on Hardrock, Coco and Joe - complete with the music.

http://www.rogersbasement.com/Hardrock.htm

Today's generation will recognize it as the music/cartoon played on the Walter E. Smythe commercial.

jabrch
09-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Yup. He had a different "Today is ___" variation for every day of the week. Monday was washday, Wednesday was soup, Friday fish...I can't recall Tuesday and Thursday.

And my mother just confirmed it - and she thinks Tuesday is String Beans...I think she is right.

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2005, 09:54 AM
And my mother just confirmed it - and she thinks Tuesday is String Beans...I think she is right.Yep. That's correct. How come I can remember all this stuff but can't remember to put on my pants before going out to get the paper?

tebman
09-25-2005, 10:12 AM

"Laugh your troubles away..." at Riverview. :smile:

Those Riverview commercials are what I remember most about "Two-Ton" Baker. There's a website (http://twotonbaker.com/) (of course) put together by an unrelated guy also named Dick Baker that gives a lot of Baker's background and recording history.

Elmer the Elephant, along with Garfield Goose and his friends, are all now in the possession of the Museum of Broadcast Communications. They were all on display when the museum was at the Cultural Center on Michigan & Washington. The MBC is preparing a new building on Kinzie & State that is supposed to have all of it back on display when it opens. I'll be there! I'm a sucker for that stuff.

It's more than nostalgia, at least for me. All those old broadcast icons, both radio and TV, had a hand-made quality that's missing now. Dick Baker, Frazier Thomas, Bob Bell, and the rest were fearless: "Let's try this and see if it works." The industry has matured so that most of what's presented has been carefully researched and sanitized for your protection.

To bring this back to the White Sox, that's what makes Ozzie so refreshing -- he's not afraid to try something and not afraid to talk about it. One day we'll see pictures of Ozzie in a museum too and fondly remember those same qualities.

SoxSideIrish
09-25-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm not sure if any of you old farts are aware, but "Hardrock, Coco and Joe" and I believe "Suzy Snowflake" were all just released on a DVD this past Christmas season. IIRC, Walter E. Smithe (ya know, the furniture company) was giving away the DVD for free. I didn't really know what it was, but my parents were definitely excited about it. I thought it was cool that Smithe would take the time to do that, and for free nontheless.

TornLabrum
09-25-2005, 10:37 AM

And then, of course, there's the grandaddy of all kids' shows:

http://www.tvacres.com/images/buffalo_bob.jpg Hey kids!! What time is it?

IIRC Tuesday was ironing and Thursday was roast beef.

TornLabrum
09-25-2005, 10:39 AM
And my mother just confirmed it - and she thinks Tuesday is String Beans...I think she is right.

Come to think of it, so do I.