PDA

View Full Version : White Sox: 5th Most Wins in AL Over the Past 30 Days

TomBradley72
09-24-2005, 12:43 PM
While the WSox aren't playing their best baseball right now and have at least 4 losses in the past week or so that could have easily been wins (2 @ KC, Monday night vs. Cleve. and Thurs. night vs. Minn.) the numbers don't support that they have "choked".

They have the 5th most wins in the AL over the past 30 days:

Cleveland: 21-5
New York Yankees: 21-7
Boston Red Sox: 17-12
Texas: 17-12
White Sox: 16-14
The real story is not a choke job....but an absolutely incredible run by the Indians...over the same time period:

Team Winning Pct.: .804 (#1)
Team Batting Avg.: .286 (#1)
Runs Scored: 160 (#1)
Home Runs: 51 (#1)
OBP: #1
Slugging Pct. #1
OPS: #1
Team ERA: 2.78 (#1)

Interesting to note the WSox are actually #2 in the AL in hits, #1 in doubles, #2 in triples, during this period....but are #8 in runs scored reinforcing the absence of clutch hitting, overall execution, stolen bases, and a drop off in HR's. OK...maybe they've choked to a certain extent...:?:

But if the Indians had simply been hot (say 18-8) vs. incredibly hot...we'd be 4.5 games up right now, magic #5.

SSN721
09-24-2005, 01:09 PM
I guess its one way to sugarcoat it. 16-14 is not bad but so many of those losses as talked about here already so much were games the Sox could have and should have won with Cleveland breathing down their neck.

Ol' No. 2
09-24-2005, 01:12 PM
It doesn't mean a damn thing who did what in the last 30 days. It's a 9-game sprint to the finish. The only game that matters is today's game.

batmanZoSo
09-24-2005, 01:14 PM
See above.

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-24-2005, 09:12 PM
It doesn't mean a damn thing who did what in the last 30 days. It's a 9-game sprint to the finish. The only game that matters is today's game.
Exactly

itsnotrequired
09-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Slugging Pct. #1

:o:

Wow. I knew they were doing well but I didn't know they were doing THAT well. Amazing.

Still, as others pointed out, you don't win playoff spots for winning any offensive categories save one...wins.

bluestar
09-24-2005, 10:52 PM
I agree it doesn't matter, but I couldn't help but get a little miffed when one of the stupid ESPN Radio mediots tonight (I was stuck in the car, and it was the only way I had to get score updates) claimed, "The Chicago White Sox are one of the worst teams in baseball over the past month." It's just outrageous that supposed "sports journalists" get away with spewing false information like that.

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-24-2005, 10:58 PM
It's hard to believe the Sox are over .500 in their last 30 games. The way it seems here sometimes you'd think they haven't won a game since August and are trailing the Indians by 10 games.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-24-2005, 11:02 PM
It's hard to believe the Sox are over .500 in their last 30 games. The way it seems here sometimes you'd think they haven't won a game since August and are trailing the Indians by 10 games.

Yep. Go figure.
:(:

We spend a lot of time around here talking Sox Fans off the ledge. Yet another public service WSI provides.
:cool:

kitekrazy
09-24-2005, 11:27 PM
The real story is not a choke job....but an absolutely incredible run by the Indians...over the same time period:

It makes you wonder if they are going to lose another game the rest of the season. K.C. might as well stay home. They're no help to us, but the Sox were their own worst enemy by giving the 1st game away.

Chisox353014
09-25-2005, 02:11 AM
Looking at a slightly smaller time frame: Cleveland has now won 17 out of their last 19 games. We're one of the two teams that have managed to beat them during that time.
It feels like they never lose because they basically haven't for 3 weeks.

mr_genius
09-25-2005, 03:58 AM
While the WSox aren't playing their best baseball right now and have at least 4 losses in the past week or so that could have easily been wins (2 @ KC, Monday night vs. Cleve. and Thurs. night vs. Minn.) the numbers don't support that they have "choked".

They have the 5th most wins in the AL over the past 30 days:

Cleveland: 21-5
New York Yankees: 21-7
Boston Red Sox: 17-12
Texas: 17-12
White Sox: 16-14

Slugging Pct. #1

Interesting to note the WSox are actually #2 in the AL in hits, #1 in doubles, #2 in triples, during this period....but are #8 in runs scored reinforcing the absence of clutch hitting, overall execution, stolen bases, and a drop off in HR's. OK...maybe they've choked to a certain extent...:?:

But if the Indians had simply been hot (say 18-8) vs. incredibly hot...we'd be 4.5 games up right now, magic #5.

nice job putting things in the correct perspective

wassagstdu
09-25-2005, 09:35 AM

It matters when one of the Sox comes to the plate with RISP and one of two thoughts crosses his mind: "Am I going to contribute to the biggest collapse in history," or "Am I going to contribute to beating the hottest team in baseball."

TornLabrum
09-25-2005, 09:51 AM
It matters when one of the Sox comes to the plate with RISP and one of two thoughts crosses his mind: "Am I going to contribute to the biggest collapse in history," or "Am I going to contribute to beating the hottest team in baseball."

Hawk and DJ talked a little bit about that last night, about how much of what you do when you go up to the plate when you're going well or going poorly is between your ears. It looks like something happened to the Sox over the past couple of days that straightened out that thinking.

DJ pointed out the scowl Dye has been wearing the past couple of days...controlled rage, they called it.

nasox
09-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Yep. Go figure.
:(:

We spend a lot of time around here talking Sox Fans off the ledge. Yet another public service WSI provides.
:cool:

In all seriousness, in most other forums, if this type of thing happened their, they would have bit the dust. WSI may be strict, but the mods and admins and suits of WSI really keep the place together in such times.

voodoochile
09-25-2005, 11:03 AM
In all seriousness, in most other forums, if this type of thing happened their, they would have bit the dust. WSI may be strict, but the mods and admins and suits of WSI really keep the place together in such times.

We ban because we care...:tongue:

I have to admit, I was convinced the Sox were doing poorly recently and while they obviously have come down from their amazing numbers in June and July, the team is still playing .548 ball the last 30 days.

I even got an e-mail from a friend in Pittsburgh asking if the Sox were choking on the pressure. I blew him off with the same old "Still in first and a shoe in for the WC unless they completely fall apart." I wish I had known these stats at that time. It would have made things a darned sight easier...

harwar
09-25-2005, 11:06 AM
No one saw this coming,i mean 18 - 4 in sept. is outrageous.
Check their bats and see if they hired "jo boo'.