PDA

View Full Version : SURPRISE! Tailgunner Joe on the spot with microphone: Carl should shut the **** up

RallyBowl
09-24-2005, 11:33 AM
I don't do attachments, but has anyone read the southtown today? There is a small article about how Ozzie and Carl went back and forth through the media before the game last night. I guess Carl was none too pleased that he was dropped to the 6 spot. What a jag. I can deal with not performing to a point, but this is the type of **** that will make me rip a guy in a second. Just yesterday, I posted how he needs to step it up in the clubhouse, and this is the **** he pulls?

Carl- Nice Sammy impersonation you ****in jerk. I hope your playing in Timbuktu next year with your buddy Sosa. You two seem to have a lot in common. See if you can keep your mouth shut the rest of the year, and if your lucky, Ozzie might throw you a bone. I wouldn't. I used to like you Carl, but you are now officially the only guy I hate on my favorite team. There is only one way to redeem yourself somewhat before your ship sails- Pick up your crappy performance on the field and leave the managing to the manager. I thought you were a man. A man don't complain to reporters- he goes right to the source. I guess I had you figured out wrong.

[moderator edit]

It's Tailgunner Joe, the same guy who did the exact same thing to Willie Harris the day it was announced the Sox signed Tadahito Iguchi as the new everyday secondbasemen.

Show some sense with this **** and consider the source before you start threads like this.

OR ELSE.

FielderJones
09-24-2005, 11:45 AM
The three-spot has been dreadful this last month. It doesn't seem to matter who gets put there; the pressure apparently overwhelms them. AJ 0-4 with 2 Ks last night! Yikes!

The Wimperoo
09-24-2005, 11:48 AM
It has nothing to do with pressure and more to do with the fact that there isn't anyone in the lineup that is a good enough hitter to put up numbers that are common for a number 3 hitter.

veeter
09-24-2005, 11:51 AM
This is just another twist in the craziest season ever.

ja1022
09-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Here it is:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/241sd2.htm

SoxSpeed22
09-24-2005, 11:54 AM
:anderson:"Come on. How much do you have to lose by making me the DH in the 3 spot?"

spiffie
09-24-2005, 12:21 PM
:anderson:"Come on. How much do you have to lose by making me the DH in the 3 spot?"

:LTP

Heck with that...I'm right here!

The Dude
09-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Ozzie is dead on in his comments. And I love this one "Well, good, I won't even put him in the lineup (today)," Guillen said.

Carl get the **** off the team if you dont like it! And dont let the door kick you in your ****ing ignorant creationist ass! What A pile of dog ****. I honestly wouldnt mind having Gload/LTP/Anderson/Ozuna taking the DH for the rest of the season.

TomBradley72
09-24-2005, 12:46 PM
.202 batting average in the most important month of the season....screw Crazy Carl.....I'd go with Gload at 1B and Paulie at DH against RH's.

hose
09-24-2005, 12:53 PM
How about if both Carl and Ozzie shut their pie holes for a couple of days.

RKMeibalane
09-24-2005, 12:56 PM
It has nothing to do with pressure and more to do with the fact that there isn't anyone in the lineup that is a good enough hitter to put up numbers that are common for a number 3 hitter.

Agreed. The only proven number-three hitter that the Sox have has been on the DL most of the season.

minastirith67
09-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Take this with a grain of salt, he's called Tailgunner Joe for a reason. This guy will try and sow discord whenever he can. Certainly things aren't going well, but Cowley tries his best to make things worse.

Madvora
09-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Not the time for this you selfish piece of ****!

Frankly Missing
09-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Joe Cowley LOVES to dig up dirt on the Sox. Guaranteed he wet his pants over this.

Doesn't it blow your mind Carl actually thinks he has been all that and a bag of chips lately?

The rest of the team has been hangin their heads, beatin themselves up.

There IS an I in Carl's T-E-A-M.

A.T. Money
09-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Carl should be lucky he's even in the lineup while he's been sucking major ass.

ThinWhiteDuque
09-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Oh my God! WSI has finally seen the light!:bandance:

HotelWhiteSox
09-24-2005, 02:25 PM
How long til the race card is played?

Seems a little out of proportion, Frank didn't like getting moved (now, in no way I am comparing Everett to Frank), I guess it's a pride thing, but I agree that Everett should shut the hell up, he has been atrocious!

harwar
09-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Don't fall apart yet
Both the players and the posters have to keep their asses wired tight.
Especially the guys in the clubhouse.
Hold it together for a while longer and we just might get this thing done and all is forgotten.
Everyone needs to reach down inside for that something extra that we instintively hold back for times like this.
I hope that they don't make me have to go down there and straighten this thing out myself.:mad:

The Dude
09-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Oh my God! WSI has finally seen the light!:bandance:

Umm, no. I figured you'd be sticking your head out here especially in this thread. Carl was doing just fine before the past month and a half. Dont give yourself too much credit.

Carl Everett with comments like these, horrible play at the plate, and a bad attitude is what is irking us.

Now if he can turn it up the next week and a half and tear it up, I will gladly cheer for him.

Ol' No. 2
09-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Umm, no. I figured you'd be sticking your head out here especially in this thread. Carl was doing just fine before the past month and a half. Dont give yourself too much credit.

Carl Everett with comments like these, horrible play at the plate, and a bad attitude is what is irking us.

Now if he can turn it up the next week and a half and tear it up, I will gladly cheer for him.Actually, except for a few short bursts in August, he's been stinking it up pretty consistently since the A/S break.

Deadguy
09-24-2005, 03:38 PM
How long til the race card is played?

Seems a little out of proportion, Frank didn't like getting moved (now, in no way I am comparing Everett to Frank), I guess it's a pride thing, but I agree that Everett should shut the hell up, he has been atrocious!

When? I don't remember him having a problem being moved down to 5th in the batting order in the first half of 2002, in favor of Konerko. He seemed to support, at least in May of 2002.

FT did have a problem with being benched though, which is something he should have accepted with far more grace.

RKMeibalane
09-24-2005, 03:41 PM
When? I don't remember him having a problem being moved down to 5th in the batting order in the first half of 2002, in favor of Konerko. He seemed to support, at least in May of 2002.

FT did have a problem with being benched though, which is something he should have accepted with far more grace.

I think Frank's problem with being benched was that Manuel never told him he was benching him for the entire weekend. I agree that he should have kept quiet, though. Whining never solves anything.

RallyBowl
09-24-2005, 04:56 PM
To the moderators-

I apologize, I didn't even look at who the writer of the article was. Lesson learned.

This is the first thread I have ever had moved to the ****house, so hopefully my first offense can be overlooked, as it was an honest mistake.

Having said that, and not recalling ever posting anything about our friend Joe, I say this- I do remember Willie's comments and can kind of excuse him for two reasons. One, he is young, and two, he doesn't appear to be a rocket sugeon. Carl taking the bait like that is inexcuseable. He has been around too long, been around the media too much to fall for a lame reporter's lame loaded questions. Sure, Cowley was trying to stir the pot. Carl handed him a larger spoon. I thought he was smarter than that. I lost some respect for Carl, because I believe he knew what Cowley was doing. As I said yesterday, Even if Carl is not performing on the field, the least we should expect is that he is being a leader in the clubhouse. A leader doesn't take the bait. Not like Carl did. He is a guy who says what he feels, wears his heart on his sleeve. If he wasn't asked, it was only a matter of time before he said what he did anyway. I am pissed at Carl, but in truth I am more upset that someone I had huge respect for could dissapoint me the way he did.

EDIT: Moved to What's the score? I'm confused.

TornLabrum
09-24-2005, 05:36 PM
To the moderators-

I apologize, I didn't even look at who the writer of the article was. Lesson learned.

This is the first thread I have ever had moved to the ****house, so hopefully my first offense can be overlooked, as it was an honest mistake.

Having said that, and not recalling ever posting anything about our friend Joe, I say this- I do remember Willie's comments and can kind of excuse him for two reasons. One, he is young, and two, he doesn't appear to be a rocket sugeon. Carl taking the bait like that is inexcuseable. He has been around too long, been around the media too much to fall for a lame reporter's lame loaded questions. Sure, Cowley was trying to stir the pot. Carl handed him a larger spoon. I thought he was smarter than that. I lost some respect for Carl, because I believe he knew what Cowley was doing. As I said yesterday, Even if Carl is not performing on the field, the least we should expect is that he is being a leader in the clubhouse. A leader doesn't take the bait. Not like Carl did. He is a guy who says what he feels, wears his heart on his sleeve. If he wasn't asked, it was only a matter of time before he said what he did anyway. I am pissed at Carl, but in truth I am more upset that someone I had huge respect for could dissapoint me the way he did.

EDIT: Moved to What's the score? I'm confused.

Veteran players who have been around a lot longer than Carl have taken the bait from The Gunner. I assume we can expect a reply from Joe telling us that he in no way baited Carl into saying something, with the score being given as Cowley 8, WSI 0.

jabrch
09-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Veteran players who have been around a lot longer than Carl have taken the bait from The Gunner. I assume we can expect a reply from Joe telling us that he in no way baited Carl into saying something, with the score being given as Cowley 8, WSI 0.

Worthless piece of waste.

Cowley makes Mariotti look like a professional journalist - and that takes a particularly low level of skill to do. I wish he and his ilk would just disappear.

DickAllen72
09-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Carl get the **** off the team if you dont like it! And dont let the door kick you in your ****ing ignorant creationist ass! What A pile of dog ****.

Sounds like something a monkey's descendant would write.

SoxFan64
09-24-2005, 06:44 PM

How about Tadahito Iguchi. He was a #3 in Japan and he has done a heck of a job in the 2 hole, which IMO is a harder slot -- need more plate discipline.

TomBradley72
09-24-2005, 06:47 PM
So it's Joe Cowley's fault that Carl Everett is an idiot? Unless he misquoted Carl....this isn't his fault. The fact that Ozzie responded vs. blowing it off (like he easily could have)...makes it a legitimate story.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-24-2005, 09:22 PM
So it's Joe Cowley's fault that Carl Everett is an idiot? Unless he misquoted Carl....this isn't his fault. The fact that Ozzie responded vs. blowing it off (like he easily could have)...makes it a legitimate story.

No, it's not Cowley's fault. It's the fault of the editors at the Southtown that somebody who shoves a microphone under the nose of somebody who has just suffered a major career setback should have their throughts published as though they're anything more than the expression of HUMAN FRUSTRATION that anyone of us would feel if put in the same situation.

Is it too much for the Southtown and Tailgunner Joe to show some DISCRETION regarding such quotes? Is it too much to show some PROFESSIONAL JOURNALISTIC ETHICS to place them in their proper context?
:o:

Tailgunner Joe and the *******s who publish his bull**** are CLASS ONE JAGOFFS. It's not the first time they've done it and it certainly won't be the last.

Meanwhile we'll just keep humiliating them and calling them out for their utterly contemptible behavior.

TomBradley72
09-24-2005, 10:45 PM
No, it's not Cowley's fault. It's the fault of the editors at the Southtown that somebody who shoves a microphone under the nose of somebody who has just suffered a major career setback should have their throughts published as though they're anything more than the expression of HUMAN FRUSTRATION that anyone of us would feel if put in the same situation.

Is it too much for the Southtown and Tailgunner Joe to show some DISCRETION regarding such quotes? Is it too much to show some PROFESSIONAL JOURNALISTIC ETHICS to place them in their proper context?

Tailgunner Joe and the *******s who publish his bull**** are CLASS ONE JAGOFFS. It's not the first time they've done it and it certainly won't be the last.

Meanwhile we'll just keep humiliating them and calling them out for their utterly contemptible behavior.

Give me a break. Both Ozzie and Carl are grown men who earn millions of dollars playing the sport the media covers. The only "jagoffs" in this whole scenario are a selfish ballplayer out of touch with reality (a .202 average over the past month) and a manager who fanned the flames. When the Cubs spew their idiotic quotes....I would pissed to high heaven if the Tribune "protected" them. Two words avoid this entire story: "No comment".

PaleHoseGeorge
09-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Give me a break. Both Ozzie and Carl are grown men who earn millions of dollars playing the sport the media covers. The only "jagoffs" in this whole scenario are a selfish ballplayer out of touch with reality (a .202 average over the past month) and a manager who fanned the flames. When the Cubs spew their idiotic quotes....I would pissed to high heaven if the Tribune "protected" them. Two words avoid this entire story: "No comment".

Fine for you. I want some quotes from you one-half hour after your boss tells you you've just been demoted to cleaning the toilets around the office. Then I'll post what you have to say on all the company bulletin boards. Just suck it up and take it, right? No comment, right?

And as for "protecting" the ballplayers, your turn to give me a break. I noted the quotes need to be placed in proper context and the fact ONLY the Southtown sees fit to publish these sorts of stories is damning evidence for what little regard they have placing ANYTHING in proper context. Are there a bunch of "Everett is a jerk" articles in the other newspapers? Why just the Southtown, hmm?

And this is NOT the first time Tailgunner Joe has spun his magic. Willie Harris, Carlos Lee, and Frank Thomas (repeatedly) have all been given Tailgunner Joe's treatment. Frankly I'm surprised any of the Sox ballplayers will talk to this jagoff at all. If I was one of them I sure as hell wouldn't.

rainbow6
09-24-2005, 11:28 PM
Carl being moved down a few slots in the order is being compared to an office worker being demoted to cleaning toilets?

Wow...talk about lacking perspective. If I had performed as bad at my job as Carl has I would expect to be fired...

Most players of Everett's stature (injury-prone/bordering on over-the-hill/comes up with a clutch hit a couple times a month) would be embarrassed to have made a mockery of the third spot in the order of the best team in the AL would take the 'demotion' in stride.

I don't care if Cowley was baitng him or not - a REAL professional would respond "no comment."

Carl's an ass.
And a useless one at that.

Luke

PaleHoseGeorge
09-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Carl being moved down a few slots in the order is being compared to an office worker being demoted to cleaning toilets?

Wow...talk about lacking perspective. If I had performed as bad at my job as Carl has I would expect to be fired...

Most players of Everett's stature (injury-prone/bordering on over-the-hill/comes up with a clutch hit a couple times a month) would be embarrassed to have made a mockery of the third spot in the order of the best team in the AL would take the 'demotion' in stride.

I don't care if Cowley was baitng him or not - a REAL professional would respond "no comment."

Carl's an ass.
And a useless one at that.

Luke

Yeah, you're definitely the one with perspective here.

:rolleyes:

BarbG
09-25-2005, 03:16 AM
Wow.

All this Carl bashing, I thought he had actually been quoted saying something BAD. All he said was "It's always me" and you guys want his head? Wow.

One line in the article sums the whole thing up perfectly:

"Everett had not expressed displeasure with Guillen until Friday."

There's a reason for that. There was none. This moron caught Carl at a MOMENT of disappointment and ran back to Ozzie like a gossiping creep.

If you guys want a quote from Carl, here's one:

"This is Ozzie's team. He's the boss. If he says Frank sits, then even Frank sits. What he says goes, for all of us."

OK, that might not be EXACTLY word-for-word but VERY close. I got to talk to him one-on-one for a couple of hours, and I asked him everything I could think of. Nothing was off limits and he was absolutely ego-free and candid. It's very easy to see how the media takes advantage of that - he's not a guy to hold back. BUT, he is none of the things you guys are calling him.

When I see garbage in the media (regarding anyone) I ask myself, who am I going to believe, the mediots or my own eyes and ears?

I'm as disappointed as everybody else with his hot-cold production and I totally agree with his being moved down in the order, putting someone else in to DH at times, whatever it takes. But personal attacks to this level ("idiot"...etc.) don't help anything.

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Wow.

All this Carl bashing, I thought he had actually been quoted saying something BAD. All he said was "It's always me" and you guys want his head? Wow.

One line in the article sums the whole thing up perfectly:

"Everett had not expressed displeasure with Guillen until Friday."

There's a reason for that. There was none. This moron caught Carl at a MOMENT of disappointment and ran back to Ozzie like a gossiping creep.

If you guys want a quote from Carl, here's one:

"This is Ozzie's team. He's the boss. If he says Frank sits, then even Frank sits. What he says goes, for all of us."

OK, that might not be EXACTLY word-for-word but VERY close. I got to talk to him one-on-one for a couple of hours, and I asked him everything I could think of. Nothing was off limits and he was absolutely ego-free and candid. It's very easy to see how the media takes advantage of that - he's not a guy to hold back. BUT, he is none of the things you guys are calling him.

When I see garbage in the media (regarding anyone) I ask myself, who am I going to believe, the mediots or my own eyes and ears?

I'm as disappointed as everybody else with his hot-cold production and I totally agree with his being moved down in the order, putting someone else in to DH at times, whatever it takes. But personal attacks to this level ("idiot"...etc.) don't help anything.This kind of stuff is SOP for Tail-gunner Joe. Every one of his articles reads the same. He talks to players for a long time, knows exactly how to bait them into saying something quotable, then takes out a few snippets (usually out of context) to weave a story. As PHG pointed out, it's significant that none of the other rags in this town publish this kind of stuff - even the Cubune.

TomBradley72
09-25-2005, 10:52 AM
I love all this talk about big evil Joe "baiting" the players. Reminds me of a scene out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.....the horrible monster turns out to be a little rabbit.

The players are adult millionaires who have to deal with the media as part of their job. I can't believe all this outpouring of emotion and sympathy for poor Crazy Carl and Ozzie Guillen and how the evil bunny rabbit made them say stupid things.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-25-2005, 10:55 AM
I love all this talk about big evil Joe "baiting" the players. Reminds me of a scene out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.....the horrible monster turns out to be a little rabbit.

The players are adult millionaires who have to deal with the media as part of their job. I can't believe all this outpouring of emotion and sympathy for poor Crazy Carl and Ozzie Guillen and how the evil bunny rabbit made them say stupid things.

We have facts on our side. You have Monty Python. Now who is being stupid?

jabrch
09-25-2005, 10:56 AM

It is Joe Cowley's fault that JOE COWLEY IS AN IDIOT. A good journalist doesn't look to CREATE stories - he looks to cover real stories. Cowley tries to create the news.

TomBradley72
09-25-2005, 10:57 AM
We have facts on our side. You have Monty Python. Now who is being stupid?

Crazy Carl.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Crazy Carl.

He doesn't believe in dinosaurs? Is that why he is "crazy"?

I believe in dinosaurs but couldn't even manage to foul tip the ball. You would rather have me on the team?

RichFitztightly
09-26-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm not writing this post to defend Joe Cowley. I don't want to get into any debate in the matter. The only point I want to make is that I bet this story didn't cross the minds of anybody in the clubhouse. If by chance any of the players became aware of the story, it didn't cross their mind a second time.

A player voicing his frustration about being moved in the batting order? I don't think professional baseball players care that this is the major controversy in the locker room.

It's preposterous to compare a change in the order to being demoted to cleaning toilets. It's more like being in an office environment and getting used to doing the research on the projects. Then a project comes up where somebody else is in a better position to do the research and gets that duty. The original person is still involved in the project, he just isn't doing the research this time.

The only part of the story I have a problem with (and this is from a Carl Everett perspective, not an overall story problem) is this:

"Put it this way: It's always me," Everett said. "Someone has to sit or be moved down, it's always me. We've been winning with (him hitting No. 3) all year long, so why would he (Guillen) change it now?"

I think maybe Rowand might have something to add to that, or A.J., or Uribe. What about all those times Iguchi has been sat to rest him while he proclaims he doesn't need rest and Ozzie is being overly cautious. Maybe Hermannson might have something to add about being shuttled back and forth between the closer role and a set-up guy. El Duque is facing the possibility of going to the bullpen.

So... sorry Carl, while I don't think what you said was all that bad, it's better to be factually correct with your quotes.

Palehose13
09-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Tom-

By chance are you related to Joe or *gasp* an alias of Joe's?

maurice
09-26-2005, 06:12 PM
the horrible monster turns out to be a little rabbit

. . . who looks really innocent until he suddenly lunges for your neck and chops your bleeding head off.
Yes, that's a pretty good analogy.

Hangar18
09-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Joe Cowley LOVES to dig up dirt on the Sox. Guaranteed he wet his pants over this.

Doesn't it blow your mind Carl actually thinks he has been all that and a bag of chips lately?

The rest of the team has been hangin their heads, beatin themselves up.

There IS an I in Carl's T-E-A-M.

That statement by Carl sounded a bit like he was just very FRUSTRATED.
But to tell the truth, I dont see anything wrong with this story, werent other reporters reporting the same thing? The fact that it died down fairly quickly is a SIGN that this wasnt that big a deal in the first place .......... Carl said it, nobody else did. So shame on him. Looks like the whole thing blew over not long after that, so good for Ozz and the SOX.

Hangar18
09-26-2005, 06:49 PM
This kind of stuff is SOP for Tail-gunner Joe. Every one of his articles reads the same. He talks to players for a long time, knows exactly how to bait them into saying something quotable, then takes out a few snippets (usually out of context) to weave a story. As PHG pointed out, it's significant that none of the other rags in this town publish this kind of stuff - even the Cubune.

Oh yes they do ...........FRANK THOMAS can attest to this.

TomBradley72
09-26-2005, 06:54 PM
. . . who looks really innocent until he suddenly lunges for your neck and chops your bleeding head off.
Yes, that's a pretty good analogy.

Good point....I forgot about that...I've been using this analogy at work...probably not the best idea....

Ol' No. 2
09-26-2005, 09:59 PM
That statement by Carl sounded a bit like he was just very FRUSTRATED.
But to tell the truth, I dont see anything wrong with this story, werent other reporters reporting the same thing? The fact that it died down fairly quickly is a SIGN that this wasnt that big a deal in the first place .......... Carl said it, nobody else did. So shame on him. Looks like the whole thing blew over not long after that, so good for Ozz and the SOX.Other reporters were just repeating the Cowley story. No one else does stuff like this - even to Frank Thomas. He got the treatment, but he walked into it a lot. Cowley just makes a living doing this to one player after another. How many has he done it to just this year?