PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Sox security...and Bobby Howry

mike squires
09-23-2005, 11:14 PM
A minor point here amidst all the craziness but I thought it was pretty cool. My wife and I brought our 22 month old daughter to the game on Monday and went down the line to try and snag a ball. The Indians took the field and immediatly a player came over about 4 seats away and leaned up against the fence totally "flirting" with Brooklynne. Later Bobby was playing long toss and a few guys called out his name. Bobby turned and my wife called him out and asked if our daughter could get a ball. Needless to say the guys were out of luck and handed my cutie the ball. My wife and Brooke returned to their seats and I continued trying to get a ball. Just a few minutes to game time I was sitting on the armrest of a chair (behind the right field foul poul) a security guy waved me over and asked if I ever got a ball. I told him I didn't but Howry gave my daughter one. SO...I'm pretty sure he would have given Brooklynne one if I had said no. An example of taking care of the fans and also watching us. My wife said it was my Fisk jersey that made me stand out. I say it was Brooklynne. :D:Brooklynne now calls it her Bobby ball.

Baby Fisk
09-23-2005, 11:15 PM
A minor point here amidst all the craziness but I thought it was pretty cool. My wife and I brought our 22 month old daughter to the game on Monday and went down the line to try and snag a ball. The Indians took the field and immediatly a player came over about 4 seats away and leaned up against the fence totally "flirting" with Brooklynne. Later Bobby was playing long toss and a few guys called out his name. Bobby turned and my wife called him out and asked if our daughter could get a ball. Needless to say the guys were out of luck and handed my cutie the ball. My wife and Brooke returned to their seats and I continued trying to get a ball. Just a few minutes to game time I was sitting on the armrest of a chair (behind the right field foul poul) a security guy waved me over and asked if I ever got a ball. I told him I didn't but Howry gave my daughter one. SO...I'm pretty sure he would have given Brooklynne one if I had said no. An example of taking care of the fans and also watching us. My wife said it was my Fisk jersey that made me stand out. I say it was Brooklynne. :D:Brooklynne now calls it her Bobby ball.
Which Fisk jersey do you have?

mike squires
09-23-2005, 11:18 PM
It's a Cooperstown Nike early 80's. I must say it is pretty nice.. I'm hoping DumpJerry will post a few pics soon. I'm wearing it with a pic with Henry and one with me leaning against the fence with the scoreboard in the background...Bob???:D:

Clembasbal
09-24-2005, 11:30 AM
This coming from Howry who ripped Sox fans about 5 days ago. Congrats on the ball, but I still don't know what to think of that solid pitcher

DumpJerry
09-24-2005, 11:34 AM
It's a Cooperstown Nike early 80's. I must say it is pretty nice.. I'm hoping DumpJerry will post a few pics soon. I'm wearing it with a pic with Henry and one with me leaning against the fence with the scoreboard in the background...Bob???:D:
I'm working on that. It's been a crazy busy week at work because I keep leaving early for Sox games. I'm going to send them to Daver, I could not figure out how to upload them to the gallery.

oldcomiskey
09-24-2005, 11:41 AM
This coming from Howry who ripped Sox fans about 5 days ago. Congrats on the ball, but I still don't know what to think of that solid pitcher
Its possible that what Howry actually said was taken out of context

ja1022
09-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Back in the spring of 2000, my son was in 2nd grade and a class project involved sending "Flat Sams" (I won't even try to explain) to various people. Zach chose to send these things to Ivan Rodriguez (I won't call him Pudge--there's only one Pudge), Jerry Manuel, Magglio Ordonez, Chris Singleton, and Bobby Howry.

He received two responses. One was from Rodriguez' "people", (The Ivan Rodriguez Foundation) and the other was from Bobby Howry. It seems Howry took the time to write a nice letter and send an autographed picture to this eight year old kid. I'm no authenticator, but it does appear to be his handwriting and my guess is that it's genuine. For that alone, Bobby Howry is cool by me. Still, Cleveland sucks, and I hope he gets torched when he's on the mound.

Clembasbal
09-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Its possible that what Howry actually said was taken out of context

"We'd have 10,000 a lot of nights in Chicago [and] they were loud and a great 10,000, but outside of that little loyal bunch, fan support there stinks," Howry said of Sox crowds that average 17th in the league at 28,692. "It's brutal. You have a team that for the longest time had the best record in baseball and a team that's been in first place by a huge margin all year long, and you can't pull fan support?"

That doesn't sound out of context to me. Pretty much two full solid sentences about it. Giving balls away or not, he is a jerk in my book. Props for him giving the ball away, I'm sure it was for him to not get booed the entire night.

Milw
09-24-2005, 02:10 PM
I met Bobby during the 99 season, when he was the closer. Recognized him at the mall ... He was a very nice guy, and even gave me 4 comp tickets to that night's game behind the Sox dugout. I was always a big fan of his.

Until this week. Way to undo all that good will, Mr. Howry. Just bit your tongue next time, huh?