PDA

View Full Version : Numbers Question

Lip Man 1
09-24-2005, 12:06 AM
With the Sox win tonight the number for the divisional clinching is at 8. But is the number for clinching a post season berth at 7?

Looking at the up to the minute standings the Sox lead Cleveland by a 1 1/2 who leads Boston by a 1 1/2. So the Sox would have a three game lead for the 'wild card' with nine remaining if I understand this correctly. (92-61 vs. 89-64)

Can someone please verify this?

Thanks,

Lip

Brian26
09-24-2005, 12:13 AM
This is correct, Lip. The AL Central Title magic number is 8, while the post-season magic number is 7. We still have lots of work to do.

cheeses_h_rice
09-24-2005, 12:26 AM
163 - # Sox wins - # Boston losses = magic number for the WC

163 - 92 - 64 = 7

:)

TheOldRoman
09-24-2005, 12:46 AM
163 - # Sox wins - # Boston losses = magic number for the WC

163 - 92 - 64 = 7

:)
In that case, lets hope the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, and Twins all take a dive tomorrow. We would gain breathing room on everyone, and the Yankees wouldn't gain on the Red Sox. I don't know who I would rather have in the playoffs, but I wish we could keep both of them out.

Banix12
09-24-2005, 12:51 AM
In that case, lets hope the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, and Twins all take a dive tomorrow. We would gain breathing room on everyone, and the Yankees wouldn't gain on the Red Sox. I don't know who I would rather have in the playoffs, but I wish we could keep both of them out.

While I hate seeing the yankees in the playoffs, I would have to say I feel more comfortable with the sox possibly facing them than the sox possibly facing the red sox

A. Cavatica
09-24-2005, 12:55 AM
While I hate seeing the yankees in the playoffs, I would have to say I feel more comfortable with the sox possibly facing them than the sox possibly facing the red sox

I want the Red Sox. NY's pitching has been better lately.

sox7235
09-24-2005, 12:59 AM
Actually, doing some math, correct me if I'm wrong, The Sox actual number to clinch is 5 for the postseason:

Boston can only win 98 games. If they do this, they win the division because NYY would only win 96 and that is if they both win out until their last series against each other.

Only 1 of those 2 teams would be able to win 97 games

Putting 5 more wins for The Sox into a 1 game playoff, assuming both run the table until they play each other?

SoxFan64
09-24-2005, 01:00 AM
I want the Red Sox. NY's pitching has been better lately.

Give me the other Sox -- the Yanks look like the could run the table and that is the last thing I want to see (after seeing the Cubs take it all).

Mohoney
09-24-2005, 01:04 AM
Give me a postseason with no Red Sox and no Cubs, with Us, the Yankees, and the Cardinals all there.

Note to the two worst fan bases in the game: Your uppance will come!

Banix12
09-24-2005, 01:11 AM
I think both would be potentially difficult series regardless. I think I just feel more comfortable with the Yankees just because our pitching has done so well against them. Contreras in particular has owned them.

FarWestChicago
09-24-2005, 01:16 AM
Contreras in particular has owned them.:contreras:

I've been doing a lot of owning lately.

Mr. White Sox
09-24-2005, 02:25 AM
With the Sox win tonight the number for the divisional clinching is at 8. But is the number for clinching a post season berth at 7?

Looking at the up to the minute standings the Sox lead Cleveland by a 1 1/2 who leads Boston by a 1 1/2. So the Sox would have a three game lead for the 'wild card' with nine remaining if I understand this correctly. (92-61 vs. 89-64)

Can someone please verify this?

Thanks,

Lip

Check the RIOT number for "playoffs" in my sig. It is the number to tie a spot for the wildcard berth, and it's updated every morning. Add 1 to the number and you get the magic number for the wildcard, I believe.

cleanwsox
09-24-2005, 05:26 AM
Yeah, the RIOT figures out the worse case scenario for the Sox. Right now with NY with 63 losses and the BoSox with 64 the worst thing that could happen in the NY vs. Bos series would be for the Yankees to lose twice and the BoSox once. That would leave them both with 65 losses. Since the magic number for making the playoffs is currently at 7, you can decrease it by 1 since its guaranteed that at worse the Yankees or Boston will have at least 65 losses come the end of the year. That means if the Yankees lose tomorrow and Boston wins, our RIOT number can be decreased by one more since it will be guaranteed that one of those teams will have 66 losses by the end of the year.

That being said I like our chances. If we can win 4 of these next 6 games, and Boston or NY loses just once, we basically have a playoff spot wrapped up before the Cleveland series and the Sox won't go into that series stressed out of their mind.

sox1970
09-24-2005, 09:41 AM
Actually, doing some math, correct me if I'm wrong, The Sox actual number to clinch is 5 for the postseason:

Boston can only win 98 games. If they do this, they win the division because NYY would only win 96 and that is if they both win out until their last series against each other.

Only 1 of those 2 teams would be able to win 97 games

Putting 5 more wins for The Sox into a 1 game playoff, assuming both run the table until they play each other?

The worst case scenario is if the Indians go 7-1; the Red Sox go 8-1; and the Yankees go 7-2---with the White Sox going 4-5 to not make the playoffs, or the Sox going 5-4 to tie Boston and New York with 97 wins. Boston and New York would have to play on Monday and the loser would play the White Sox on Tuesday.

Basically the only thing that guarantees the Sox a playoff spot right now is if they go 6-3. That, of course, would decrease as the other teams lose.

The only bad scenario for the Yankees/Red Sox series right now is if the Red Sox win 2 of 3. Anything else would be favorable for the White Sox.

A. Cavatica
09-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Check out this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=860001#post860001) for projected pitching matchups. It's not too early to start handicapping.

The Red Sox have their best opportunity to pick up ground over the next two days. I like Clement over Bedard and Wells over Maine, while the Yankees offer up Wright and Wang against the Jays. Then the next series seems to favor the Yankees.

Our Sox face six bad pitchers in a row. With any kind of hitting at all we should go at least 4-2. Liriano against Buehrle is the game that worries me most, but Liriano stunk his last time out and I figure Buehrle has to start winning again at some point.

Meanwhile, Cleveland gets Greinke tomorrow and Kazmir in the TB series, plus Fossum and Waechter who are occasionally good.

My guess is that we'll go into the final weekend with the Sox and Yankees up narrowly in their divisions, and the Sox having the WC locked up. I wouldn't assume anything about those final series, though.

Tragg
09-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Our magic number to make the playoffs is better than it appears.

Someone in the Yankees/BoSox series will lose 2 games.

That will give us at least an additional 1 game loss-column lead (if the bosox take 2/3) or 2 game lead (if the yanks take 2/3 or the bosox sweep) or a 3 game additional cushion (if the yanks sweep) from what we have now.

Of course, they look at it the same way re us and the tribe next weekend.

We haven't played well, but we are above .500 for September. Tribe has just played amazing.

Ol' No. 2
09-24-2005, 10:57 AM
The magic number to take the division is better than it appears, too. If the Indians qualify as the WC, as it appears they will, the Sox would take the tiebreaker in the event of a tie.

sox1970
09-24-2005, 11:06 AM
The magic number to take the division is better than it appears, too. If the Indians qualify as the WC, as it appears they will, the Sox would take the tiebreaker in the event of a tie.

Just assume the worst case scenario. The Sox have to go 6-3 to make the playoffs. This will make the scoreboard watching a lot less stressful.

The next six games are extremely winnable. Let's just hope we win them all and not have to worry about a win that last weekend.

Ol' No. 2
09-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Just assume the worst case scenario. The Sox have to go 6-3 to make the playoffs. This will make the scoreboard watching a lot less stressful.

The next six games are extremely winnable. Let's just hope we win them all and not have to worry about a win that last weekend.I was just pointing out that the Sox are in slightly better shape than it appears. Because of that, if they go into Cleveland with even a 1 game lead, the Tribe would have to sweep to overtake them.

But my approach is to forget about 6-3 or 7-2 or whatever they need. There are too many possibilities and they change every day. Just win today.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-24-2005, 11:25 AM
But my approach is to forget about 6-3 or 7-2 or whatever they need. There are too many possibilities and they change every day. Just win today.

Yours is the best advice offered in this entire thread. Winning covers every possibility today. Same holds true tomorrow and the day after that, too.

Just win, baby.
:cool:

Isn't it sad that some people can only focus on the things that INEVITABLY cause them to panic when things don't work out precisely as they had planned?
:(:

Ol' No. 2
09-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Yours is the best advice offered in this thread. Winning covers every possibility today. Same holds true tomorrow and the day after that, too.

Just win, baby.
:cool:http://www.candidcritic.com/images/davis.jpg :cool:

Notice the resemblence?

kitekrazy
09-24-2005, 11:31 AM

I feel the opposite. I think the Yankees have the slighter edge in pitching, bullpen and defense. I don't know what the Angels are doing lately but it seems like our potential playoff foes are all hot.

voodoochile
09-24-2005, 11:34 AM

Actually, we are glad it is the Yankees and Boston fighting it out for the WC. They finish the year with a series against each other, so the MN for the Sox drops automatically by at least 2 against one of these teams. In effect the Magic Number is 6 and 5 for the WC provided we are talking about those two teams. I bet Riot updates that number the minute Oakland is eliminated.

sox1970
09-24-2005, 11:37 AM
I was just pointing out that the Sox are in slightly better shape than it appears. Because of that, if they go into Cleveland with even a 1 game lead, the Tribe would have to sweep to overtake them.

No, I actually agree with you. The Sox just need to focus on winning.

That's why I'm taking the focus away from the Indians, Red Sox, and Yankees by assuming they will all continue to win every game through Thursday, and the Red Sox will beat the Yankees 2 out of 3 next weekend.

sox1970
09-24-2005, 04:24 PM

The next six games are extremely winnable. Let's just hope we win them all and not have to worry about a win that last weekend.

And now that the Yankees have lost today, the Sox will assure themselves a playoff spot if they go 5-4.