PDA

View Full Version : Putting Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

1951Campbell
09-23-2005, 11:57 PM
We clearly have a split zeitgeist here. Some folks think the Sox are doomed, some think the Sox are still going to pull off a playoff berth. Now, I know some of you have heard of the Iowa Electronic Markets, which are basically a futures market for things such as who will win an election. Because, of course, when actual money is on the line, people tend to think a little more clearly, or at least are more honest about what they really think will happen.

In that vein, I'd love to know: if you are a member of WSI, and have money on the MLB playoff hunt, how did you bet? Be honest. Karma's gonna get ya if you're not. :D:

JB98
09-23-2005, 11:59 PM
We clearly have a split zeitgeist here. Some folks think the Sox are doomed, some think the Sox are still going to pull off a playoff berth. Now, I know some of you have heard of the Iowa Electronic Markets, which are basically a futures market for things such as who will win an election. Because, of course, when actual money is on the line, people tend to think a little more clearly, or at least are more honest about what they really think will happen.

In that vein, I'd love to know: if you are a member of WSI, and have money on the MLB playoff hunt, how did you bet? Be honest. Karma's gonna get ya if you're not. :D:

Are we betting on whether the Sox will make the playoffs or what they'll do once they get there? Two different answers from me.

1951Campbell
09-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Are we betting on whether the Sox will make the playoffs or what they'll do once they get there? Two different answers from me.

I guess my thought experiment here is:

1. Who's betting against the Sox to make the playoffs outright, and;

2. Who's betting for the Sox to make the playoffs outright.

And I want to hear from folks who have real money bet on these questions. With your landlady, with your buddies, with Vegas, doesn't matter.

Palehose13
09-24-2005, 12:12 AM
I made a bet last week with a cub fan that the Sox would be in the playoffs. I'm not sorry that I did it either.

mike squires
09-24-2005, 12:21 AM
Wags1978 who recently signed up to this site made the comment that when we win it's dancing bananas...when we lose, yup the dark clouds. I seriously think for most here it's game by game....

1951Campbell
09-24-2005, 12:27 AM
I made a bet last week with a cub fan that the Sox would be in the playoffs. I'm not sorry that I did it either.

If you don't mind me asking...how much?

JB98
09-24-2005, 12:33 AM
I guess my thought experiment here is:

1. Who's betting against the Sox to make the playoffs outright, and;

2. Who's betting for the Sox to make the playoffs outright.

And I want to hear from folks who have real money bet on these questions. With your landlady, with your buddies, with Vegas, doesn't matter.

Well, I've bet that the Sox WILL make the playoffs.

I have not placed any wagers on the playoffs, and I don't intend to.

Mohoney
09-24-2005, 12:48 AM
Before the season started, I took us at 7/2 to win the division. The Twins were even money, the Tribe were 5/2, and the Tigers (That's right, the freaking TIGERS!) were 11/4, ALL at better odds than us.

I took the over on an over/under on season wins of 83 1/2.

I took the Sox having a better record than the Cubs, and I was GETTING 6 1/2 games! (I STILL laugh at this one)

Palehose13
09-24-2005, 12:50 AM
If you don't mind me asking...how much?

Fifty and that is a lot for me.

1951Campbell
09-24-2005, 01:03 AM
So that's...what...three to make the playoffs and none against?

Interesting. Ah, to be a fly on the wall spying on Homefish and his bookie...

:D:

mbwhitesox
09-24-2005, 01:19 AM
A week ago my dad and I were talking about the Sox and their slide and he said "I'd bet $20 the Sox don't even make the play-offs." I took the bet and shook his hand without hesitation. :cool:

GO SOX!

TDog
09-24-2005, 04:46 PM

I would never bet on sports. I have no control over whether the Sox will win tonight ... or ever. I work too hard for my money to gamble it on future events that will take place without my influence.

MarySwiss
09-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Bet the Sox last February to win the Series. I have every intention of collecting. :cool:

DVsoxfan
09-24-2005, 05:00 PM
I won a $5 bet with a sox fan who said that the sox would get swept by cleveland in this past series

Roof Shot
09-24-2005, 05:05 PM
If the Chi Sox go 5-4 in their remaining 9 games they are guaranteed to make the playoffs. This is because Boston and the Yankees play each other three more times and one of those teams must lose at least 2 of 3 games.

However, as far as the division goes it will come down to the three in Cleveland...

VivaOzzie
09-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Before the season, I got the Sox at 17/4 to win the AL Central, and 20/1 to go to the Series.

I think I got a little overconfident on the AL Central, now I'm a little worried (more for the Sox, less about my $$). I still think they'll find a way to pull it out though. As for going to the series, I think we had a better shot when I made the bet. No dark clouds here, I'd just rather be happily surprised than let down.

whitesoxwilkes
09-24-2005, 05:31 PM
$100 on us as a 7-1 to win the WS.

$20 with a Cub fan at work that we make the playoffs. This kid is such easy pickings.