PDA

View Full Version : *Official* JOSE RULES 9/23/05 Postgame Thread

Unregistered
09-23-2005, 09:28 PM
:winner

Helluva game by Contreras.

Bluegrass1SOXFAN
09-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Contreras is da man!!! Is it not a scary thought to think of where we'd be in the standings right now, WITHOUT him???

ode to veeck
09-23-2005, 09:29 PM
can you say forkball ...

HotelWhiteSox
COMPLETE DOMINATION

Hangar was right, See what happens when they wear the vests :wink:

BNLSox
He's the Game 1 starter without a doubt. Way to stop the skid Jose!

chitownhawkfan
How big was that Uribe play?

whitesoxfan
09-23-2005, 09:30 PM
Jose = stopper.

what a big win this game was and an even bigger effort by Jose tonight. I said in the game thread that there should be no doubt that Jose should get the ball in Game 1. He has been dominant over his last few starts and he is the best pitcher in the rotation we have right now.

Let's hope KC can come back so we can go back up to a 2 1/2 game lead :bandance:

JB98
We used to think that Contreras was a mental midget. Right now, he is standing tall. He is the calm in the eye of the storm.

Thank God we didn't trade him for Burnett.

Brian26
Jose Contreras is earning his salary now. Who would have thunk it. He is so composed out there. He's a horse. And, if we get there, he's my Game 1 starter in the ALDS, no questions asked.

akingamongstmen
HUGE performance by Jose! :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

mccoydp
Thank God for Jose.

Great CG.

:contreras:

"And you mo-fo's wanted to trade me?"

cleanwsox
09-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Let's go Royals, lets get that cushion back

Helluva game by Jose. No doubt he is the ace of the staff right now.

PAPChiSox729
Jose continued to be the ace down the stretch. Our infield really flashed some leather there in the 9th. Two great plays by Uribe and Iguchi. The offense looked dead after the 1st inning. But hey, a win is a win.

:supernana:

ode to veeck
cmon KC!! 6-5 tribe, top 7

cbone
Those last 3 forkballs were incredible! Dye and Uribe co-heroes as well. 2 in a row tomorrow!:smile:

santo=dorf
JOSE :drunken:

PorkChopExpress
That ... was awesome!!!!!!!

beckett21
09-23-2005, 09:32 PM
Some redemption for Jermaine, big-time performance for Jose. :thumbsup:

Good job fellas. Back to work tomorrow.

DickAllen72
I Luvvv Jose Contreras!!!

He's our #1 starter in the playoffs. :gulp:

One down, eight more to go!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

chitownhawkfan
We have to get Jurassic Carl out of the line up, why cant Ross Gload play?

California Sox
09-23-2005, 09:33 PM
17IP by starters in this series 2ER and we're 1-1. :(: Another futile effort tonight by the "offense". After Dye's homer it was more of the same. The pitchers are going to have to drag these guys to the postseason. Let's hope they are up to the task.

LongLiveFisk
Way to go, Jose!! :gulp: Now let's see if we can win 2 in a row! Haven't done that in a while.

Mohoney

"I'm Rick James!"

RKMeibalane
What do the Dark Clouds have to say now?

CanBuehrleWait
Way to step up huge big guy. Yea no doubt about this man starts game 1.

Its a tough situation though right now doesn't look like he will pitch in the Cleveland series. Might need to remedy that cause hes hands down been awesome.

Corlose 15
09-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Jose was outstanding tonight. Thats all that really needs to be said. DOMINANCE.

Also, how about that emotion from AJ after the final strikeout? Gotta love to see that.

tifosiv122
09-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Great outing...too bad he can't pitch everynight.

Erik

Brian26
Some redemption for Jermaine, big-time performance for Jose. :thumbsup:

Good job fellas. Back to work tomorrow.

Keep the line moving. Our job isn't done yet.

chitownhawkfan
If you turn on Comcast right now I think Jose is telling all the Dark Clouds to shut the hell up in Spanish.

Also, just guessing but I think it looks like Josh Mora is not a Sox fan, he seemed in pain having to talk about a White Sox Winner.

:supernana:

Irishsoxfan
09-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Outstanding job by Jose, what can you say about the Uribe play! awsome.

Brian26
Also, how about that emotion from AJ after the final strikeout? Gotta love to see that.

I LOVED that. The fist pumps and then the jump up when he was coming out to congratulate Jose. That was fun.

Iwritecode
Is anyone else still worried about the fact that the Sox (except for Dye tonight) can't seem to get a base hit with runners on to save their lives?

Palehose13
09-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Great pitching by Jose and congrats to Jermaine for picking up today when he failed last night. Uribe and Iguchi...wow. Those plays were great.

I had to leave briefly in the middle of the game and Rooney and Farmer said that the Sox missed a couple homers because of the cold air. Podsednik and someone else (I forgot). Were they that close?

One thing Hawk or DJ mentioned was the lack of going from first to third on singles. It looks like they are going back to "station-to-station" baseball. They aren't playing as aggressive as they used to and I would like Ozzie and/or Joey to get them back into the first to third habit, unless the runner is PK, Crede, or AJ.

Conrats, Sox and go Royals!

delben91
09-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Is anyone else still worried about the fact that the Sox (except for Dye tonight) can't seem to get a base hit with runners on to save their lives?

Incredibly.

But I'll take the win...any way we can get them.

Maybe the bats come around tomorrow, and maybe Freddy finds "it" again too.

halfpricemonday
09-23-2005, 09:38 PM
About time we get some runs in the 1st frame, since it seems like it's been months since we've been able to take an early lead.

Thank goodness we had Jose on the mound to make it stand up. Just a great performance in a pressure-packed situation.

South Side
What do the Dark Clouds have to say now?

I'm am not a dark cloud by any means but come on.... we have a 2 game lead right now... let's not get crazy. The dark clouds have a lot to legitimately complain about, with that said... great game!

PAPChiSox729

The offense didn't get any better. Hopefully, if the starters get back on track, our offense will have a little less pressure to get hot. But time is running out for that.

PorkChopExpress
09-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Jose might not speak english, but he spoke more than any other clown on that team tonight, including his postgame interview. (per what I heard from ozzie jr.) Every game from here on out is a big game that we need to win.

Love this guy right now. Playoff numero uno!

Red Barchetta
09-23-2005, 09:40 PM
OK!!! Let's put together a nice 5 pr 6 game win streak and end this thing!

Unregistered
Is anyone else still worried about the fact that the Sox (except for Dye tonight) can't seem to get a base hit with runners on to save their lives?Base hit? Hell, they can't even hit a fly ball with a runner on 3rd and 1 out.

Brian26
I like it when Ozzie calls Contreras a "kid" when Contreras is like 5 years older than him. :D:

Palehose13
Jose was outstanding tonight. Thats all that really needs to be said. DOMINANCE.

Anyone who has been saying that this team has no heart hasn't been watching lately. This team has plenty of heart and they have been showing it. IMO, it's a mental/lack of confidence thing causing this slide. They lost their "swagger". I'm hoping this is the start to getting the mojo back!

South Side
09-23-2005, 09:41 PM

Very much so. We were just lucky we had 3 runs already.

beckett21
Keep the line moving. Our job isn't done yet.

I love the way Dye was locked in tonight. All business.

AJ is intensity personified. Even Iguchi was getting pumped up when he threw out LeCroy in the 9th. Jose's reaction after striking out Jones to end the game was awesome.

That's the kind of fire we need to see night in and night out for the duration from every member of the team.

TaylorStSox

You know how it goes, man. Pretty soon, we'll get a few lucky bloopers to fall. Then, the pressure will be off a little bit and guys will start to make solid contact with guys on base. It's baseball. It ebbs and flows. If teams constantly got hits with guys on base, you'd see teams that average 8 runs a game.

Iwritecode
Base hit? Hell, they can't even hit a fly ball with a runner on 3rd and 1 out.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

The past few games I've felt like I've been watching the 2000 post-season Sox...

Palehose13
09-23-2005, 09:42 PM
I like it when Ozzie calls Contreras a "kid" when Contreras is like 5 years older than him. :D:

Hee hee...me too. Same with El Duque and Frank, unless you consider someone just a few years younger than you a kid. :wink:

Unregistered
I've even heard Ozzie call Greg Walker a kid.

chitownhawkfan
Anyone who has been saying that this team has no heart hasn't been watching lately. This team has plenty of heart and they have been showing it. IMO, it's a mental/lack of confidence thing causing this slide. They lost their "swagger". I'm hoping this is the start to getting the mojo back!

I was hoping we could recapture it after that Crede walk off.

Wow Ozzie is really pissed for a post game win interview.

Iwritecode
09-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Hee hee...me too. Same with El Duque and Frank, unless you consider someone just a few years younger than you a kid. :wink:

I think he'd call Hawk a kid...

beckett21
I LOVED that. The fist pumps and then the jump up when he was coming out to congratulate Jose. That was fun.

I was doing the same thing in my living room...by myself...:redface:

soxrme
Rowand, Everitt, PYz, all have to start hitting. Rowand especially looks like he has no bat speed at all. He is behind on every fastball, and he keeps swinging at that low outside pitch ( a lot of our guys do). Everitt cannot stay next year we need another DH.

Iwritecode
09-23-2005, 09:44 PM
I was hoping we could recapture it after that Crede walk off.

Wow Ozzie is really pissed for a post game win interview.

He's talking about how the team hasn't been getting the little things done. I know exactly how he feels.

Unregistered
Pretty soon, we'll get a few lucky bloopers to fall. Then, the pressure will be off a little bit and guys will start to make solid contact with guys on base. It's baseball. It ebbs and flows. Let's just hope that it starts ebbing (or flowing?) sometime before the friggin' season ends.
:wink:

PorkChopExpress

I am watching the postgame and thinking the exact same thing! Dese Kid...this and that, it;s hilarious!!! Does Ozzie have some grays showing?

TheOldRoman
All I have to say is

JO-SE!!
JOSE! JOSE! JOSE!
JOOO-SEEE!!
JO-OH-SE!

:dye:
"Hey Hangar, did you like that homer?"

FarWestChicago
09-23-2005, 09:45 PM
He's talking about how the team hasn't been getting the little things done. I know exactly how he feels.Dude, they won tonight. Relax a little before you have a stroke. Your kids need you. :D:

The Sox will give you plenty to fret about tomorrow. :o:

TaylorStSox
Let's just hope that it starts ebbing (or flowing?) sometime before the friggin' season ends.

I'm with you there. We need a Frank Thomas "excuse me" blooper over the 1st baseman's head to get it going.

Brian26
That 92-61 record looks a hell of a lot better than 91-61 :D:

chitownhawkfan
09-23-2005, 09:46 PM
I still dont understand why crazy carl is up there swinging, I want to see Ross Gload hit, he is a good hitter and he couldnt do any worse than carl is right now.

Bluegrass1SOXFAN
09-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Incredibly.

But I'll take the win...any way we can get them.

Maybe the bats come around tomorrow, and maybe Freddy finds "it" again too.

I agree completely delben. I'll take a win anyway they come. Even if our offense once again couldn't push runners across the plate who were in scoring position. Every win is HUGE at this point.

9 more games guys!!! Now we need Garcia to step his game up tomorrow, and come right at the twinkies. Challenge then with everything and be in control.
He does this and guess what we have folks????

A WINNING STREAK!!!:bandance:

Iwritecode
09-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Dude, they won tonight. Relax a little before you have a stroke. Your kids need you. :D:

The Sox will give you plenty to fret about tomorrow. :o:

I know. I'm still excited that they won. But I would love to get the offense and the pitching to start working together again (like Cleveland has been doing the past 2 months). :cool:

South Side

I disagree. I don't think they showed a whole lot of heart the night after the Joe Crede knock off homer. I don't think they showed a lot of heart last night with the bases loaded and one out in the bottom of the 9th last night to maintain a 2.5 game lead. I think letting the lack of confidence get to them is not showing any heart! Isn't it about being strong and pushing through the obstacles they face? I am relieved to no end that they won tonight but just b/c they won one game doesn't mean anything. They need to win more than one game. One game isn't going to get us anywhere in the playoffs.

santo=dorf
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/contreras%20depaula%20hazing.jpg

That a boy Contreras!!!! Shove it up the haters' ass!!!

TaylorStSox
I still dont understand why crazy carl is up there swinging, I want to see Ross Gload hit, he is a good hitter and he couldnt do any worse than carl is right now.

Everett did get on base twice tonight. I'm disappointed in Everett as much as anyone else, but Ross Gload is not the answer. There's a reason that he's a AAAA player.

chitownhawkfan
When is the last time we won back to back games? It seems like forever!

StockdaleForVeep
09-23-2005, 09:48 PM
We used to think that Contreras was a mental midget. Right now, he is standing tall. He is the calm in the eye of the storm.

Thank God we didn't trade him for Burnett.

No thank god we traded esteban for him

Pulaski
09-23-2005, 09:49 PM
I agree completely delben. I'll take a win anyway they come. Even if our offense once again couldn't push runners across the plate who were in scoring position. Every win is HUGE at this point.

9 more games guys!!! Now we need Garcia to step his game up tomorrow, and come right at the twinkies. Challenge then with everything and be in control.
He does this and guess what we have folks????

A WINNING STREAK!!!:bandance:

Freddy needs to stop letting runs up in the first inning. He needs to come out ready to play from the get go. The Sox need to score first and control the game. I can't wait until I get to the park tomorrow! PATIO PARTY!

FarWestChicago
But I would love to get the offense and the pitching to start working together again (like Cleveland has been doing the past 2 months). :cool:Hey, if the Sox had as much cork in their bats as the 'Toons do they might be smacking the ball, too. :redneck

StockdaleForVeep
When is the last time we won back to back games? It seems like forever!

First 2 weeks of the month

Iwritecode
09-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Hey, if the Sox had as much cork in their bats as the 'Toons do they might be smacking the ball, too. :redneck

Whatever works.

It's only cheating if you get caught. :D:

Brian26

Carl's bat speed appears to have slowed down considerably lately. I'm a big fan of Everett...he's had some huge hits this season. I'm not super confident in him seeing the ball right now though. His bat looks a little slow.

FarWestChicago
Whatever works.

It's only cheating if you get caught. :D:This is true. :D:

halfpricemonday
09-23-2005, 09:51 PM

:ozzie

"Have you seen this kid, Roland Hemond?...I tell ya brother, he's a one hell of an advisor."

FarWestChicago
His bat looks a little slow.:slowswing

Hey, I resemble that remark!!

Mohoney
I'm with you there. We need a Frank Thomas "excuse me" blooper over the 1st baseman's head to get it going.

I don't know. I think they need a 6-1, business-like performance where the issue is never in doubt.

How about tomorrow?

Baby Fisk
09-23-2005, 09:52 PM
http://www.nevergetoveryou.net/deco/members/4457-20040301222446.jpg
"I'm 10-2 since the All Star Break you bitches! ENJOY YOURSELVES!"

Unregistered
09-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Ironically, there's a power failure in Kansas City. Or should I say "unironically." :wink:

Iwritecode
09-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Ironically, there's a power failure in Kansas City. Or should I say "unironically." :wink:

They could have at least done it when KC had a lead...

Brian26
09-23-2005, 09:55 PM

Got to stay up and see how this ends. KC is down by a run in the Bottom of the 8th. I've got a funny feeling they might pull this out.

Iwritecode
09-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Got to stay up and see how this ends. KC is down by a run in the Bottom of the 8th. I've got a funny feeling they might pull this out.

I had a funny feeling about the game too. Turns out I was just sitting on my wallet wrong...

Baby Fisk
09-23-2005, 09:57 PM
What a JOKE of a park. This happens every damn year at least once. KC sucks.

Unregistered
09-23-2005, 09:57 PM
It's weird, cause it seems like the Jndjans announcers are nervous about it too. "Bottom line: the Indians need to win this one tonight. They can't afford to lose."

Heffalump
09-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Yeah Josie!!.......We still need to get the bats going though........one or two clutch hits with runners in scoring position should open the flood gates for our guys.

Lets hope Freddy is on his game tomorrow!.......I'll be there Sunday with the Mrs! We are 9-1 when she goes with me, so lets keep it up!!!

Palehose13
09-23-2005, 10:00 PM
I disagree. I don't think they showed a whole lot of heart the night after the Joe Crede knock off homer. I don't think they showed a lot of heart last night with the bases loaded and one out in the bottom of the 9th last night to maintain a 2.5 game lead. I think letting the lack of confidence get to them is not showing any heart! Isn't it about being strong and pushing through the obstacles they face? I am relieved to no end that they won tonight but just b/c they won one game doesn't mean anything. They need to win more than one game. One game isn't going to get us anywhere in the playoffs.

Whatever floats your boat. I just remember Konerko falling to his knees and grabbing his head when he didn't come through, Rowand yelling **** when he misplayed that ball earlier in the week, and Carl throwing his bat when he didn't execute. We're gonna have to agree to disagree cause I think they show plenty of emotion (win or lose) which equates to heart in my mind.

TheOldRoman
09-23-2005, 10:01 PM
It's weird, cause it seems like the Jndjans announcers are nervous about it too. "Bottom line: the Indians need to win this one tonight. They can't afford to lose."
How stupid! Haven't they talked to Hangar? The Indians are in the drivers seat now, the Sox no longer control their own destiny.

Palehose13
09-23-2005, 10:02 PM

Yeah..they were kinda complaining earlier in the game that the Sox play Detroit while the Toons play Tampa Bay.

*edit: ha ha. They just mentioned it again and said "You'd have to think they're gonna win 4 there." They don't think we're gonna choke. :cool:

hsnterprize
09-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Base hit? Hell, they can't even hit a fly ball with a runner on 3rd and 1 out.You can put THAT on the board as far as I'm concerned. The Sox left 8 runners on base tonight, with 4 of them in scoring position. If it weren't for Dye, we would've lost another "tough one".

This team HAS to get their butts in gear as far as bringing in runners when they have the chance. If they don't, kiss the post-season goodbye.

I am happy about the win, of course. But the LOB numbers concern me, and they should concern other Sox fans, too.

Unregistered
09-23-2005, 10:04 PM
The Tribe announcers just said "You have to think that the Sox will win all four in Detroit, so the Indians have to basically win every game until the end of the season."

And you think we are under pressure...

BNLSox
09-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Well if the last two months have taught us anything its that someone upstairs likes those Toons dispite the fact that they have a horrificly offensive mascot and name. Perhaps the big man thought a little power outtage would do a better job closing the game than the big man from the bullpen.

Either way, GO ROYALS!!

Iwritecode
09-23-2005, 10:05 PM
You can put THAT on the board as far as I'm concerned. The Sox left 8 runners on base tonight, with 4 of them in scoring position. If it weren't for Dye, we would've lost another "tough one".

This team HAS to get their butts in gear as far as bringing in runners when they have the chance. If they don't, kiss the post-season goodbye.

I am happy about the win, of course. But the LOB numbers concern me, and they should concern other Sox fans, too.

See FWC! I'm not the only one! :tongue:

TheOldRoman
09-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Yeah..they were kinda complaining earlier in the game that the Sox play Detroit while the Toons play Tampa Bay.
Thats what I have been saying!! So many people on this board are bitching about the Indians' "easy schedule". I have said over and over again that TB is one of the hottest teams in baseball during the second half, in which they have beaten Cleveland 4 of 6.
Also, the Tigers have long given up on this season. They dont care anymore, and havent since the middle of August. The players hate the manager, hate the city, and hate eachother. They dont try, and they dont care anymore. I certainly would rather play them than TB, or even KC. At least the Royals are still trying.

Unregistered
09-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Lights are back on in KC... sorry to hijack the thread...

Brian26
09-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Lights are back on in KC... sorry to hijack the thread...

Two outs now in the Bottom of the 8th. GO KC!

BNLSox
09-23-2005, 10:08 PM
6-6 Tie

Come On Royals

Iwritecode
Two outs now in the Bottom of the 8th. GO KC!

TIE GAME!

DaGame2584
Tied!!! Yes!!

halfpricemonday
Tie game in a lighted Kauffman!

Let's go Royals!

Edit: Wow, this transformed into the Royals/Toons gamethread pretty quick.

Unregistered
6-6 Tie

Come On Royals
Attaboy, Teahan!

Brian26
09-23-2005, 10:09 PM
KC Ties It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whooooooooo!!!!!!

Iwritecode
I guess we should be posting in the KC/Tribe gamethread huh?

A. Cavatica
Everett did get on base twice tonight. I'm disappointed in Everett as much as anyone else, but Ross Gload is not the answer. There's a reason that he's a AAAA player.

"AAAA player." Man, I hate that expression. Last year, when Gload got a lot of playing time, he led all AL rookies in batting average. This year he got hurt, (reportedly) got in Ozzie's doghouse, and got caught in a numbers game -- so he had to settle for hitting .380 or something in AAA.

There's nothing wrong with Gload's bat a little playing time wouldn't fix. I have no doubt that he could out-produce Carl, given the same opportuntity. But I certainly wouldn't just hand the position to him at this stage of the season.

Baby Fisk
09-23-2005, 10:10 PM
I hope it's not politically incorrect to say DIE INDIANS DIE!

A. Cavatica
09-23-2005, 10:11 PM
I was so annoyed with TaylorStSox :redneck that I forgot to say

Way to go Jose!

mike squires
09-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Great pitching by Jose and congrats to Jermaine for picking up today when he failed last night. Uribe and Iguchi...wow. Those plays were great.

I had to leave briefly in the middle of the game and Rooney and Farmer said that the Sox missed a couple homers because of the cold air. Podsednik and someone else (I forgot). Were they that close?

One thing Hawk or DJ mentioned was the lack of going from first to third on singles. It looks like they are going back to "station-to-station" baseball. They aren't playing as aggressive as they used to and I would like Ozzie and/or Joey to get them back into the first to third habit, unless the runner is PK, Crede, or AJ.

Conrats, Sox and go Royals!

It was DJ and as usual was full of crap...talking just to be talking. Dye would have been out by a country mile if he had gone on that play. I'll agree we have been less agressive on the basepaths, although Willie and Iguchi both had stolen bases, but not on this particular play.

Pulaski
09-23-2005, 10:13 PM
KC tied the game. Now 6-6. Thank you power outage!

Iwritecode
09-23-2005, 10:14 PM
It was DJ and as usual was full of crap...talking just to be talking. Dye would have been out by a country mile if he had gone on that play. I'll agree we have been less agressive on the basepaths, although Willie and Iguchi both had stolen bases, but not on this particular play.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was thinking that it was a good thing that Dye didn't go for 3rd.

Frankfan4life
09-23-2005, 10:17 PM
This feels so nice, let's do it twice!! :bandance::bandance:

Palehose13
09-23-2005, 10:21 PM

I agree with you on that particular play, but I do agree wiht his sentiment that we aren't seeing it like we used to.

SoxSpeed22
09-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Jose is the best starter on this team right now. Throw strikes. Only 1 walk. BTW, what about Anderson for the DH?

DaGame2584
09-23-2005, 10:25 PM
7-6 Indians

zmz723
09-23-2005, 10:25 PM
7-6 Indians

wow, they suck. two errors in a row?

DaGame2584
09-23-2005, 10:26 PM
yea, gotta love that Royal D

soxfanreggie
09-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Think Jose can pitch on like...22 hours rest?

J/k

Our other starters need to see what Jose is doing and pick it up!

DaGame2584
09-23-2005, 10:29 PM
They have except Garcia and Mark. Jon was left out there too long the other night. That was Ozzie's brain fart.

BeviBall!
09-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Insanly great game from Jose. Glad the 3 runs held up.

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Went out with my wife tonight, so I only got to see the 9th inning. Sounds like Contreras strapped this team on his back by himself once again, and that Dye actually came through with a big clutch homer. Nice. I also loved the play by Uribe to get the first out in the 9th -- huge -- plus Iguchi's backing up of Jose on the grounder that hit off Jose's glove.

Looks like the Royals are blowing their game, so the magic # will only drop 1, but another day off the calendar, and the Indians and Red Sox don't gain any ground. I'll take it.

3rdgensoxfan
09-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Another win. Magic number is 8.
Would have liked to see the Sox capitalize on some of those situations w/ men on base.

Go Sox! :smile:

Lip Man 1
09-23-2005, 10:34 PM
I have no idea what's gotten into Jose but I'm very grateful it has. offense wasn't much tonight as others have stated but right now I'll take anything I can get. Very nice way to win a game.

Hopefully Freddy is as sharp tomorrow and that can rebuild some momentum and confidence.

It's now a sprint to the finish.

Lip

Iwritecode
Looks like the Royals are blowing their game, so the magic # will only drop 1, but another day off the calendar, and the Indians and Red Sox don't gain any ground. I'll take it.

Yep. As long as the Sox continue to win, Cleveland can't catch up. :cool:

mike squires
Went out with my wife tonight, so I only got to see the 9th inning. Sounds like Contreras strapped this team on his back by himself once again, and that Dye actually came through with a big clutch homer. Nice. I also loved the play by Uribe to get the first out in the 9th -- huge -- plus Iguchi's backing up of Jose on the grounder that hit off Jose's glove.

Cheeses~Sounds llike you need to get your priorities straight.:D:

Ol' No. 2
09-23-2005, 10:35 PM
You know, after the last week or so I thought the dark clouds might just take the night off. After all the carping about how badly they needed a win, I thought maybe, just maybe, people would just enjoy it. I thought people might figure any win is a good win. I thought that everyone would be so glad to get a much-needed win that there wouldn't be any bitching about how they won or the fact that they got all their runs of HR.

What was I thinking?:o:

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Cheeses~Sounds llike you need to get your priorities straight.:D:

Maybe I'm the bad luck charm. Tomorrow night I'll only be able to watch 'til about 8:30, too, so maybe the Sox will win that one in the 9th inning after I've left the house.

Iwritecode
09-23-2005, 10:39 PM

Even Ozzie was criticizing the Sox not getting the little things done tonight.

chisoxfan64
09-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Maybe I'm the bad luck charm. Tomorrow night I'll only be able to watch 'til about 8:30, too, so maybe the Sox will win that one in the 9th inning after I've left the house.

Just in case you are the bad luck charm, I`m going to need to confiscate any playoff tickets you may have.:cool:

South Side
09-23-2005, 10:43 PM
You know, after the last week or so I thought the dark clouds might just take the night off. After all the carping about how badly they needed a win, I thought maybe, just maybe, people would just enjoy it. I thought people might figure any win is a good win. I thought that everyone would be so glad to get a much-needed win that there wouldn't be any bitching about how they won or the fact that they got all their runs of HR.

Are you kidding me? Everyone should be a dark cloud right now. It must be nice to have a heart of steel. Am I the only one on this board who realizes how dire the situation has gotten? One win against the Twins tonight doesn't clinch anything. It also doesn't erase how badly they've played the last 2 weeks and how bad they've let their situation get. I wish I didn't feel this way, believe me. I wish I was absolutely certain that they were in the playoffs...

Ol' No. 2
09-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Are you kidding me? Everyone should be a dark cloud right now. It must be nice to have a heart of steel. Am I the only one on this board who realizes how dire the situation has gotten? One win against the Twins tonight doesn't clinch anything. It also doesn't erase how badly they've played the last 2 weeks and how bad they've let their situation get. I wish I didn't feel this way, believe me. I wish I was absolutely certain that they were in the playoffs...If only they were 1.5 games AHEAD instead of 1.5 games BEHIND.

Palehose13
09-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Are you kidding me? Everyone should be a dark cloud right now. It must be nice to have a heart of steel. Am I the only one on this board who realizes how dire the situation has gotten? One win against the Twins tonight doesn't clinch anything. It also doesn't erase how badly they've played the last 2 weeks and how bad they've let their situation get. I wish I didn't feel this way, believe me. I wish I was absolutely certain that they were in the playoffs...

Yes, you are the only one on this board who sees the "truth".

btw...thanks for telling me how I should be feeling and what I should be thinking. :rolleyes:

MRKARNO
09-23-2005, 10:47 PM

"Estoy haciendo mis planes para juego uno en Nueva York"

(I'm making my plans for Game 1 in New York)

DaGame2584
09-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Indians won 7-6. Sox remain 1.5 ahead. Good night WSI!

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: GO SOX!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

South Side
09-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Yes, you are the only one on this board who sees the "truth".

btw...thanks for telling me how I should be feeling and what I should be thinking. :rolleyes:

Oh my god, you know the excessive optimism might just be worse than the psychotic depression. Well... when there's people complaining that other's are not exactly ecstatic b/c of a win tonight than yeah I am going to wonder.

JB98
09-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Even Ozzie was criticizing the Sox not getting the little things done tonight.

The offensive execution was still poor. No question about that. We just have to hope our pitching carries us. Jose was so good tonight that it would have been damn near impossible for the Sox to lose this game.

We have not had back-to-back wins since Sept. 6-7. It's time for that to change tomorrow night. Garcia has been poor three consecutive starts. It's time for that to change tomorrow night.

Palehose13
09-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Oh my god, you know the excessive optimism might just be worse than the psychotic depression. Well... when there's people complaining that other's are not exactly ecstatic b/c of a win tonight than yeah I am going to wonder.

How about somewhere in the middle?

I just don't like being told what I should be thinking or that one person is *only* one out of 5,000 people thinking rationally. That right there tells me that said person isn't rational.

South Side
09-23-2005, 10:54 PM
If only they were 1.5 games AHEAD instead of 1.5 games BEHIND.

Okay... well if you feel like they've accomplished something by winning tonight than fine. I am going to wait to see what tomorrow brings and how many men they leave on base.

South Side
09-23-2005, 11:00 PM
How about somewhere in the middle?

I just don't like being told what I should be thinking or that one person is *only* one out of 5,000 people thinking rationally. That right there tells me that said person isn't rational.

I apologize, but the Indians just won for the 65th time in a row so that whole middle emotion isn't really happening for me tonight. I was in the middle on Tues. when Joe hit a homer to win the game but the next day they showed me how quickly they can turn things around, for the worse. I don't like being told what to think either so when others are saying "why are people complaining we just won, can't we go one night with out dark clouds blah blah blah" I get annoyed. I don't want to be happy right now. I don't think there is anything to be happy about until we clinch. In my opinion when you have a 15 game lead in Aug. it's not exciting or good baseball to be scoreboard watching the hottest team in baseball, it's frustrating and scary.

MRKARNO
09-23-2005, 11:03 PM
I don't want to be happy right now. I don't think there is anything to be happy about until we clinch.

What if we fail to clinch and manage only the Wild Card and then win the AL? From this statement, it appears that you would still not be happy. Maybe nothing will except perfection?

South Side
09-23-2005, 11:06 PM
What if we fail to clinch and manage only the Wild Card and then win the AL? From this statement, it appears that you would still not be happy. Maybe nothing will except perfection?

I will take anything. I'll revise... I won't be happy until we make it to the playoffs. I don't care if we don't win the division, I just want them to make the playoffs, bottom line.

P.S. If I relied on White Sox perfection for my happiness, I'd be a freaking manic depressive. We're so far from perfection it's frightening.

flo-B-flo
09-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Jose might not speak english, but he spoke more than any other clown on that team tonight, including his postgame interview. (per what I heard from ozzie jr.) Every game from here on out is a big game that we need to win.

Love this guy right now. Playoff numero uno!

:contreras:Yo soy el braso grande. The BIG arm.

TornLabrum
09-23-2005, 11:14 PM
Okay... well if you feel like they've accomplished something by winning tonight than fine. I am going to wait to see what tomorrow brings and how many men they leave on base.

I'd say remaining 1.5 ahead instead of 0.5 ahead is accomplishing something by winning. The only other alternative would be to accomplish something by losing...or maybe by being rained out.

South Side
09-23-2005, 11:24 PM
I'd say remaining 1.5 ahead instead of 0.5 ahead is accomplishing something by winning. The only other alternative would be to accomplish something by losing...or maybe by being rained out.

It's obvious that you're trying to be blatantly optimistic which is fine. I am sure you have just as many doubts as I do but if you don't want to vocalize them it's your choice. It's obviously better that we won tonight but my point is if we had lost you people would be complaining about dark clouds even then. I still believe we're making the playoffs but with the lead being cut down this close the thought of us not going at all has now entered my mind and the idea sucks, therefore, their faults are weighing extra heavy in my head... so there you go, inside the head of a "dark cloud". Your happy thoughts aren't going to help them win...so why can't we be honest?

FarWestChicago
09-23-2005, 11:26 PM
Are you kidding me? Everyone should be a dark cloud right now.Why? Why should everybody quit while we are ahead. Please explain this.

Palehose13
09-23-2005, 11:27 PM
It's obvious that you're trying to be blatantly optimistic which is fine. I am sure you have just as many doubts as I do but if you don't want to vocalize them it's your choice. It's obviously better that we won tonight but my point is if we had lost you people would be complaining about dark clouds even then. I still believe we're making the playoffs but with the lead being cut down this close the thought of us not going at all has now entered my mind and the idea sucks, therefore, their faults are weighing extra heavy in my head... so there you go, inside the head of a "dark cloud". Your happy thoughts aren't going to help them win...so why can't we be honest?

What the hell are you talking about? He is being honest! The Sox are 1.5 games ahead of the Indians in the division. They also have the best record in the AL at 92-61. You can bitch and moan all you want, but you aren't going to change those facts. Sorry that they are too "pleasing" for you to look at. :rolleyes:

South Side
09-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Why? Why should everybody quit while we are ahead. Please explain this.

Expressing doubts does not translate as quitting. I don't want to be yelled at b/c I am worried! The players have doubts, Ozzie has doubts, Kenny has doubts, why can't WSI members have doubts right now?

FedEx227
09-23-2005, 11:30 PM
Yeah I keep hearing all this crap about "running out of time"... we are still in the lead and will continue to be until Cleveland passes us, yes we haven't won anything yet, but neither have they...

SoxSpeed22
09-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Why? Why should everybody quit while we are ahead. Please explain this.Every dark cloud here should answer this:
"What's the point of rooting for a team, if you don't believe in them when the going gets tough?"
I root for this team, I believe in this team. If they fail, I'll stand by them, if they succeed, I'll stand by them.

South Side
09-23-2005, 11:31 PM
What the hell are you talking about? He is being honest! The Sox are 1.5 games ahead of the Indians in the division. They also have the best record in the AL at 92-61. You can bitch and moan all you want, but you aren't going to change those facts. Sorry that they are too "pleasing" for you to look at. :rolleyes:

I am saying why can't those of us that aren't confident be honest!! All of what you said is true but guess what? The Indians are 91-62... is that enough breathing room for you? My whole point is everyone around here gets offended whenever someone voices doubt but this is a time where there should be a lot of doubt b/c no one knows what is going to happen, no one!

LostInLeftField
09-23-2005, 11:32 PM
The Corkland Indians never lose, and they score, like, seven run per game, every game.

FarWestChicago
09-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Expressing doubts does not translate as quitting. I don't want to be yelled at b/c I am worried! The players have doubts, Ozzie has doubts, Kenny has doubts, why can't WSI members have doubts right now?Sure you can have doubts. But you've been sitting here reaming people who have done nothing but say "I'm glad we won tonight". There has been none of the "excessive optimism" you have claimed. Take it easy.

TornLabrum
09-23-2005, 11:34 PM

Today at work I made several comments when asked about the Sox' collars getting tighter. On the other hand, they are still ahead, they won today, the magic number went down, and Cleveland didn't get any closer. This is a good thing. The magic number is 8 with 9 games to go. Cleveland only has 8 games left. We're one up in the loss column. All of this is also good.

South Side
09-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Every dark cloud here should answer this:
"What's the point of rooting for a team, if you don't believe in them when the going gets tough?"
I root for this team, I believe in this team. If they fail, I'll stand by them, if they succeed, I'll stand by them.

Yeah, ok I guess I am a dark cloud now at this point in time... It's not that I don't want to believe in them, I still do. I really do think they will win the division but when you watch them pop out and pop out and leave the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth in crucial crucial games how much faith can you possibly have in them?? It's excruciating.

TheOldRoman
09-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Why? Why should everybody quit while we are ahead. Please explain this.
I missed you, West:D:

South Side
09-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Sure you can have doubts. But you've been sitting here reaming people who have done nothing but say "I'm glad we won tonight". There has been none of the "excessive optimism" you have claimed. Take it easy.

No... this is what I responded to in the first place... "You know, after the last week or so I thought the dark clouds might just take the night off. After all the carping about how badly they needed a win, I thought maybe, just maybe, people would just enjoy it. I thought people might figure any win is a good win. I thought that everyone would be so glad to get a much-needed win that there wouldn't be any bitching about how they won or the fact that they got all their runs of HR.

What was I thinking?" That's not "I'm glad we won tonight", that's "God, dark clouds aka people w/ doubts are so obnoxious why won't they shut up they have no reason to act like this" and THAT is what all of my responses were to.

SoxSpeed22
09-23-2005, 11:39 PM
but when you watch them pop out and pop out and leave the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth in crucial crucial games how much faith can you possibly have in them?? It's excruciating.Enough faith.

TornLabrum
09-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Yeah, ok I guess I am a dark cloud now at this point in time... It's not that I don't want to believe in them, I still do. I really do think they will win the division but when you watch them pop out and pop out and leave the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth in crucial crucial games how much faith can you possibly have in them?? It's excruciating.

That's one reason I said, "****!", stomped out of the TV room, and went on to other things. I'm sick to death of the pop ups, too. They've been playing tight. They said that Ozzie's strength was that he keeps the clubhouse loose. He needs to make sure he's still doing that.

Yes, I'm worried. But as long as Cleveland is behind, the Sox are in control of their own destinies. What they need to do is something DJ mentioned they did (or didn't do) earlier in the season. "They didn't care who they were playing."

JB98
09-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Today at work I made several comments when asked about the Sox' collars getting tighter. On the other hand, they are still ahead, they won today, the magic number went down, and Cleveland didn't get any closer. This is a good thing. The magic number is 8 with 9 games to go. Cleveland only has 8 games left. We're one up in the loss column. All of this is also good.

Actually, Torn, we're two up in the loss column.

Don't sell us short. :tongue:

FarWestChicago
09-23-2005, 11:43 PM
That's not "I'm glad we won tonight", that's "God, dark clouds aka people w/ doubts are so obnoxious why won't they shut up they have no reason to act like this" and THAT is what all of my responses were to.Perhaps that's what you meant, but you've been quoting other people that didn't post that and going after them, people who said nothing other than "I'm glad we won tonight". The guy who posted what you just quoted hasn't said anything to you since. :?:

South Side
09-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Perhaps that's what you meant, but you've been quoting other people that didn't post that and going after them, people who said nothing other than "I'm glad we won tonight". The guy who posted what you just quoted hasn't said anything to you since. :?:

I've only quoted anyone that's responded to me. I am also not going after anyone just defending my position and how I am feeling about the team right now.

A. Cavatica
09-23-2005, 11:51 PM
Isn't there a middle ground? I for one am trying not to get too high when they win and too low when they lose. I've been a Sox fan for 30 years, and I really want to see them win...but I've also had my heart broken numerous times.

It was a huge win tonight. Contreras was a monster. Dye did his best to atone for last night. But KC gift-wrapped another one for Cleveland, and we're still looking at a 1.5 game lead with nine to play.

When I handicap the remaining games, if I put my Dark Cloud hat on, we crumble and lose the division outright (though I am still very confident about the wild card). If I put my "Sunny Side" hat on, Cleveland hiccups and drops a couple in Tampa Bay, while the Sox win the next six. But if I try to keep an even keel, I have Cleveland and the Sox finishing the season with identical records.

The playoffs have already begun, people.

Palehose13
09-24-2005, 12:03 AM
But if I try to keep an even keel, I have Cleveland and the Sox finishing the season with identical records.

The playoffs have already begun, people.
and the tie breaker would be in Cleveland. For some reason, that doesn't worry me.

SoxSpeed22
09-24-2005, 12:09 AM
and the tie breaker would be in Cleveland. For some reason, that doesn't worry me.ONLY if the Wild Card is from another division. In 2001, Houston and St. Louis tied for 1st in the division, when 2nd place was the WC. Since Houston won the season series, they got the division. If we are tied, and 2nd place gets the WC, we should have the division.

Frankly Missing
09-24-2005, 12:11 AM
Great Job Jose.

Despite the number of hits and runs Cleveland put up tonight, they looked like they are wearing down some. They struck out 9 times Thursday and 12 times on Friday. Reaction to the pressure? I hope so.

I think KC has a shot to beat them Sat, Wood is pitching and he has been pretty effective lately, as we know all too well.

A good start from Garcia and we can break out the woo hoos!

If you haven't already, check out Santo-Dorfs "Boone Walk" on page 2, very clever guy!

Palehose13
09-24-2005, 12:24 AM
ONLY if the Wild Card is from another division. In 2001, Houston and St. Louis tied for 1st in the division, when 2nd place was the WC. Since Houston won the season series, they got the division. If we are tied, and 2nd place gets the WC, we should have the division.

All I know is what they showed me during the Cleveland broadcast and that was that the tie breaker would be at Jacob's Field.

soltrain21
09-24-2005, 12:55 AM
Time to bring the party down, kids. My girlfriend of over a year broke up with me.

hooray Sox. Give me something to cheer for, please.

kitekrazy
09-24-2005, 12:57 AM
Other than yesterday Cleveland is giving up it's share of runs. The Sox anemic hitting even scored 5 runs off them. If their hitting stops, they are are screwed.

HotelWhiteSox
09-24-2005, 01:55 AM
All I know is what they showed me during the Cleveland broadcast and that was that the tie breaker would be at Jacob's Field.

To reinforce, every tiebreaker situation involving the Indians would result in a game at Jacob's Field, EXCEPT a wild card tie with Boston (which would be at Fenway)

And yes, it was all determined by a coin flip, can't put an idea past Bud!

BRDSR
09-24-2005, 02:16 AM
Let me chime in:

Today I went out to dinner and a movie with my girlfriend and then we went back to her place and watched an episode of the Sopranos on DVD. I had a thoroughly enjoyable time. Only two or three times did it even cross my mind that the Sox were playing. When I got back to my place I watched the condensed game on mlb.com and was greeted with a pleasant White Sox win. But then do you know what happened? I got a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach and I think I know why. Everytime I get excited about this team they seems to flop. That doesn't mean they won't win tomorrow. Doesn't mean they won't win out. It doesn't even mean they won't go to the World Series. All I'm saying is that their failure is more painful to me than their success is gratifying. Maybe this is the difference between a "dark cloud" and whatever a non dark cloud is.

But let me say one thing: I think the reason that the non dark clouds get so upset with the dark clouds is because theres a little bit of dark cloud in everybody and the non dark clouds hate to admit it.

Pitching and defense looked great tonight. Hitting, not so much. :gulp:Here's to the White Sox playing 9 more solid games utilizing all of their abilities and heading into the post-season strong.

voodoochile
09-24-2005, 02:32 AM
:winner

:supernana: :bandance:

voodoochile
09-24-2005, 02:34 AM

Well of course you are because you're half way out the exit already, go ahead, get the **** off my bandwagon already, you *****!

Well you are waiting around for more reasons to criticize and decide if you are still with the team, please don't let the door hit you in the ass and feel free to stand OUTSIDE with the other folks waiting around waiting for the final collapse...

Vince
09-24-2005, 02:56 AM
OK, listen up.

I was at the game tonight, and at no time past the first inning did anyone think anything but "we've got this game locked down." Once Dye gave us the 3-spot, I knew we were going to iwn. I just knew. With the way Contreras was pitching, seeing it up close and personal, it never seemed like the game was as close as it seems like it did over the TV.

I don't give a crap whether the Sox get another hit the rest of the season as long as they get 8 W's. If they walk across the winning run in every game, so be it.

Tonight was all about the pitching. Contreras was sick. Flat out sick.

The thing I liked best about tonight's game was I can't remember the last time the Sox had a lead by the end of the 1st. I think that's the whole key - we've gotten away from the 1st inning runs. I still think the Sox need to be more agressive on the basepaths. Willie Harris' steal later in the game was a welcome sight to see. I want to see Podsednik stealing third. I don't care if he gets thrown out - he needs to run, run, run. That was the only thing I was dissapointed with the entire game.

Again, the pitching was dominant by Contreras. I don't know if it came across on the TV but at the park, there really wasn't ever much doubt about the outcome. I was more concerned about the KC-Cleveland score than the outcome of that game.

Mohoney
09-24-2005, 03:15 AM
Tonight was all about the pitching. Contreras was sick. Flat out sick.

I'm willing to take my chances with him pitching in Game 1 against anybody in the AL right now.

Contreras vs. Colon would be an awesome Game 1. Contreras vs. Unit would, too.

ShoelessJoeS
09-24-2005, 04:16 AM
I'm willing to take my chances with him pitching in Game 1 against anybody in the AL right now.

Contreras vs. Colon would be an awesome Game 1. Contreras vs. Unit would, too.
I'd take JC over any of those pitchers right now, Coop needs some hard earned credit for this one.

Dan H
09-24-2005, 06:03 AM

I am still worried and it is this lack of clutch hitting that has made this race so close. Contreras gave the Sox a big lift last night, and who would have thought this guy would be the late season ace? But this offense still needs to kick it in gear. In the playoffs, they will be facing some tough pitching and the offense still needs to find a way to drive in runs or it will be three and out. I will be at the game tonight hoping the Sox can win their second in a row. It has been way, way too long since they have won two in a row. Oh, but I am not supposed to have any doubts because that means I am not loyal. I am a bandwagon jumper. Maybe I should go to church more often because I don't worship at the altar of Ozzie Guillen and Jerry Reinsdorf. After all, it has only been 88 years since the Sox won the Series, and 46 years since they appeared in one. What a lousy fan I am!

bluestar
09-24-2005, 07:23 AM
Last night's game was a carbon copy of countless games from April, May and June when the Sox played their best baseball. Yes, they demonstrated generally poor situational hitting -- at least after the first inning. They won the game on pitching and defense, and they managed to score just enough runs to win.

The Sox have not been a particularly good situational hitting team all year, especially after the first or second inning. When the pitching and defense is there, they don't need to score eight runs a game.

TornLabrum
09-24-2005, 07:42 AM
Actually, Torn, we're two up in the loss column.

Don't sell us short. :tongue:

That's what I get for not checking the standings!

jerry myers
09-24-2005, 09:14 AM
will jose get the tribe in clev? i hope so.

harwar
09-24-2005, 09:39 AM
will jose get the tribe in clev? i hope so.

Jose's next start will be wednesday so he won't face the indians unless there is a one game playoff the following monday.The tribe series looks like Buehrle,Garland,& MaCarthy.

Ol' No. 2
09-24-2005, 10:10 AM
No... this is what I responded to in the first place... "You know, after the last week or so I thought the dark clouds might just take the night off. After all the carping about how badly they needed a win, I thought maybe, just maybe, people would just enjoy it. I thought people might figure any win is a good win. I thought that everyone would be so glad to get a much-needed win that there wouldn't be any bitching about how they won or the fact that they got all their runs of HR.

What was I thinking?" That's not "I'm glad we won tonight", that's "God, dark clouds aka people w/ doubts are so obnoxious why won't they shut up they have no reason to act like this" and THAT is what all of my responses were to.Anyone who has been through or even followed pennant races before knows one inescapable truth: At the end of the season there are no easy games and you play them one at a time. The Sox needed a win badly and they got it. Every win is a good win. Apparently, some people can't just enjoy that, but have to continually focus on the negatives.

Ol' No. 2
09-24-2005, 10:14 AM
All I know is what they showed me during the Cleveland broadcast and that was that the tie breaker would be at Jacob's Field.The extra game would be at the Jake if necessary. But Soxspeed is right. They only play it off if a playoff berth is at stake, not for seeding. If Cleveland would qualify as the WC the Sox would be awarded the division because they have the better head-to-head record and the Indians would win the WC.

kitekrazy
09-24-2005, 10:19 AM
I'd take JC over any of those pitchers right now, Coop needs some hard earned credit for this one.

I don't know. From what I've read the reason for Contreras success is because of El Duce. Should Cooper take credit for this? Should he also take credit that Mark B. and Freddy can't get a victory the 2nd half?

kitekrazy
09-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Anyone who has been through or even followed pennant races before knows one inescapable truth: At the end of the season there are no easy games and you play them one at a time. The Sox needed a win badly and they got it. Every win is a good win. Apparently, some people can't just enjoy that, but have to continually focus on the negatives.

Definitely. The Sox/Twins games are usually low scoring because of pitching and defense.
The Indians giving up 6 runs to the Sox and the Royals says their hitting is winning the games right now.

Cowhead418
09-24-2005, 10:44 AM
P.S. If I relied on White Sox perfection for my happiness, I'd be a freaking manic depressive. We're so far from perfection it's frightening.
What a stupid ass quote. Name me one team that is even close to perfection.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cowhead418
09-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Let me chime in:

Today I went out to dinner and a movie with my girlfriend and then we went back to her place and watched an episode of the Sopranos on DVD. I had a thoroughly enjoyable time. Only two or three times did it even cross my mind that the Sox were playing. When I got back to my place I watched the condensed game on mlb.com and was greeted with a pleasant White Sox win. But then do you know what happened? I got a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach and I think I know why. Everytime I get excited about this team they seems to flop. That doesn't mean they won't win tomorrow. Doesn't mean they won't win out. It doesn't even mean they won't go to the World Series. All I'm saying is that their failure is more painful to me than their success is gratifying. Maybe this is the difference between a "dark cloud" and whatever a non dark cloud is.

But let me say one thing: I think the reason that the non dark clouds get so upset with the dark clouds is because theres a little bit of dark cloud in everybody and the non dark clouds hate to admit it.

Pitching and defense looked great tonight. Hitting, not so much. :gulp:Here's to the White Sox playing 9 more solid games utilizing all of their abilities and heading into the post-season strong.
I think that it's so much easier to be a dark-cloud than a polly-anna. It's so easy to just say "They'll fail. They'll collapse. They'll break my heart." It's also easier because chances are against EVERY SINGLE TEAM IN THE LEAGUE that they will not win it all and fail. It is ten times harder to stick with the team through rough times and still believe in them. It is so much easier to focus on the negatives. That is why I have a problem with dark-clouds.

Ol' No. 2
09-24-2005, 10:49 AM
I think that it's so much easier to be a dark-cloud than a polly-anna. It's so easy to just say "They'll fail. They'll collapse. They'll break my heart." It's also easier because chances are against EVERY SINGLE TEAM IN THE LEAGUE that they will not win it all and fail. It is ten times harder to stick with the team through rough times and still believe in them. It is so much easier to focus on the negatives. That is why I have a problem with dark-clouds.There are an awful lot of fans in an awful lot of cities who would gladly change places with us right now.

kitekrazy
09-24-2005, 11:02 AM
There are an awful lot of fans in an awful lot of cities who would gladly change places with us right now.

Even in our own city. But doesn't the Angels have a bigger lead right now?

FarWestChicago
09-24-2005, 11:07 AM
But doesn't the Angels have a bigger lead right now?You are correct. The A's have totally fallen apart and it's been wonderful hearing their obnoxious fans at work crying. :redneck

kitekrazy
09-24-2005, 11:23 AM
You are correct. The A's have totally fallen apart and it's been wonderful hearing their obnoxious fans at work crying. :redneck

Aren't the A's 1 or 2 losses from wild card elimination? They could still take the division.

SOXSINCE'70
09-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Aren't the A's 1 or 2 losses from wild card elimination? They could still take the division.

The way things have gone for them lately,those 4 games against
the Halos starting Monday won't matter much.:bandance: :bandance: Like the Sox,
they picked the wrong time to go into a tailespin.Fortunately,the Sox
had a cushion for their margin of error,which has shrunk to ZERO.

Good bye and Good Riddance,Billyball!!:angry:

Iwritecode
09-24-2005, 11:37 AM
I don't give a crap whether the Sox get another hit the rest of the season as long as they get 8 W's. If they walk across the winning run in every game, so be it.

I'd take that as well but I'd just hate to put that kind of pressure on the pitching staff. I think that's all anyone is saying here.

It's great that they won but it would be even better if the offense would get going. :D:

SSN721
09-24-2005, 11:40 AM

"What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!! I'm the greatest pitcher thats ever lived...Finest looking pitcher of all time...hold my drink bitch....enjoy yourself...I'm Jose Contreres bitches"

Take that Twinkies. Lets start a streak boys.

Jjav829
09-24-2005, 03:11 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: Jose Contreras! Where would we be without Contreras pitching like he has in the past two months? I don't even wanna think about it.

Hmm...on second thought, Contreras' run of great pitching started at the same time our collapse started. Go back to sucking, Jose! :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-24-2005, 03:16 PM
I haven't read this entire 13-page thread. Has anybody here claimed they always knew Jose Contreras was the pitcher that would lead the staff in the second-half? I'm guessing these would be the same people who were already pressing the panic button back in early-August (or Lip back in late-June) because they're just sooooo clairvoyant about everything that is about to happen before it actually does happen -- especially when it concerns the imminent doom of the Sox.

Wo can blame them for being so cocky? 87 years and they haven't been wrong yet!

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-24-2005, 08:27 PM
:worship: Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose. Jose. Joose! Great pitching last night! You may have saved our season