PDA

View Full Version : Wild Card vs. Divisional Title

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2005, 04:45 PM
As others have pointed out, if the Sox lose out to the Indians for the ALC title and end up with the Wild Card spot, it might actually not be a bad development.

Division title, assuming NYY, Anaheim, Cleveland make it:

Sox play Angels - in Chicago
Indians play Yankees - in NY

Wild card:

Sox play Yankees - in New York
Indians play Angels - in Cleveland

Historically, we've played the Yankees better than we have the Angels, and we've also played well in New York. The White Sox don't take advantage of home field advantage, either, so I don't think it's a big loss having to play games 1 and 2 on the road.

What would suck is if Boston wins the East, and we have to go to Boston for the first 2.

downstairs
09-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Playoffs are a crapshoot. I'll take any scenario.

oeo
09-23-2005, 04:54 PM
And...we have a better record on the road...so who knows? It could be to our advantage. But...after the great first half, I would rather get the division title. But as of now, anything is fine!

And Boston is not winning the East, they're in a worse position than us right now and the Yankees are hot as well. I never thought the Red Sox were going to win the division all year even with the bad Yankees start.

Madvora
09-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I'll think about the playoff matchups once they're set, but if winning 10 games in a row gets us a match up with the Angels, I'll still be pretty damn happy 10 games from now.

Bluegrass1SOXFAN
09-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Yea, the Yankmees always find a way to make the playoff....Of course, they better with that monster payroll of theirs.

I have no idea how our team is going to respond, if we make the playoffs. This is really a jeckal and hide team, so it's an odd scenario. They may do a reverse, and need home field just to be competitive. I'm not sold on any match-up being better than the other.

If i did have to pick a team i'd most like to play for a trip to the series, it'd be the Yankees, because we do indeed seem to play them tough....year in and year out.

Contreras could be a real asset in that series, along with Duque coming out of the pin for a few batters. I think Duque could relish this role. He career as a starter is over. I'm interested to see what he will do in the reliever role.

MushMouth
09-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Well, I'll lose my pre-season bet on Sox winning the division, but at this point, any playoff birth will give us new life.

And that's exactly what this team needs.

putherawaywet
09-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Although your asserition that we play New York better has been true for the past couple of years you overlook on important fact:

If we enter as a wild card (regardless of our record) we would not have home field in any series. As a division winner with the best record overall we would have the home field in every series.

Even though we have sucked at home lately I would still prefer we play a decisive game 5 or 7 at home.

I would also rather start the playoffs at home because we finish the year on a road trip. You gotta assume that extending that road trip would take some kind of toll on our personnel.

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Although your asserition that we play New York better has been true for the past couple of years you overlook on important fact:

If we enter as a wild card (regardless of our record) we would not have home field in any series. As a division winner with the best record overall we would have the home field in every series.

Even though we have sucked at home lately I would still prefer we play a decisive game 5 or 7 at home.

I would also rather start the playoffs at home because we finish the year on a road trip. You gotta assume that extending that road trip would take some kind of toll on our personnel.

We'd have home field advantage for the World Series, though.

:)

jerry myers
09-23-2005, 07:05 PM
We have to win first. but i would rather play the yanks. lose boston lose.

jerry myers
09-23-2005, 07:08 PM
if we dont win, we play nobody.

StockdaleForVeep
09-23-2005, 08:15 PM
I wonder if we go in thru wildcard what the mental mindset would be for this team. It would be a team who backed into the playoffs. I mean they'll be happy for playoffs but still, may be demoralizing

antitwins13
09-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Yeah as long as we make it I'll take it

ilsox7
09-23-2005, 09:24 PM
I wonder if we go in thru wildcard what the mental mindset would be for this team. It would be a team who backed into the playoffs. I mean they'll be happy for playoffs but still, may be demoralizing

From every quote I've read in the paper lately, this team's mindset right now is pathetic. I would hope and expect that making the playoffs would allow them to realize the 162 game season is over and they were a huge success by making the playoffs. The playoffs truly are a new season. There is nothing more that this team needs than a fresh start.

Red Barchetta
09-23-2005, 09:33 PM
The secret of the Tribe is Travis Hafner. Where's Tonya Harding when you need her?! :tongue:

mantis1212
09-24-2005, 12:17 AM
If we take the wild card, the games will be prime time (NY or Boston), at opposed to watching them on Yahoo at work.

The wild card doesn't sound so bad.

jabrch
09-24-2005, 12:34 AM
I'd much rather win the division and have 3 home games vs Anaheim than have to go to NY in the first round.

SoxFan64
09-24-2005, 12:53 AM
I'll take the playoffs anyway they come. We don't have the depth to make the Series (but I will take it if it is other teams give it us).

But realistically, I think it is the wild card and unfortunately playing the white hot Yanks with a Mussina and Johnson healthy.

MarySwiss
09-24-2005, 03:20 AM
From every quote I've read in the paper lately, this team's mindset right now is pathetic. I would hope and expect that making the playoffs would allow them to realize the 162 game season is over and they were a huge success by making the playoffs. The playoffs truly are a new season. There is nothing more that this team needs than a fresh start.

Ya know, that statement is true based on what they've been quoted as saying by the always impartial media. But I observed while watching the first few innings of tonight's game that every time the camera panned into the Sox dugout, they all looked relaxed and happy.

So what are you gonna believe, the media or your lying eyes?

TDog
09-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Playoffs are a crapshoot. I'll take any scenario.

Yes it is. You can go in with the best record (see White Sox 2000) and go three and out. Wild card teams have had recent success, but they fought their way up to a playoff spot. I don't care if the Sox have to play the Yankees or the Angels. Neither team is Minnesota or Detroit, which inspire pessimism in some people around here. And the Sox could have to play Cleveland again in mid-October if they want to get to the World Series.

Start winning. Get to the playoffs. Then all the world will be your enemy, but the White Sox and Sox fans are used to that.

soxfan26
09-24-2005, 04:44 PM
I'd much rather win the division and have 3 home games vs Anaheim than have to go to NY in the first round.

I'm with you here. Sure the Sox have played better against the Yankees and play better on the road, but after this September I'm not liking this club's chances in Yankee Stadium.

elrod
09-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Is Mussina healthy? Randy Johnson is not the Randy Johnson of old. The only Yankee pitcher that scares me is Shawn Chacon. Aaron Small is tough too, but Torre doesn't seem to want to pencil him in as a real starter. Chien-Ming Wang is good, but he's untested in the playoffs. Jaret Wright is a joke.

The key would be our pitching, of course. They had a lot of trouble against Sox pitching. If B-Mac pitches the last game in Cleveland and we start off in New York, Contreras will be ready to go for Game One. I'd take JC over anybody right now. Then it's Freddy on the road for Game Two. Hopefully today's game against Minnesota set him on the right course again. But he was dominating in New York anyway. Then we get them back home with Buehrle going, with Garland ready for Game Four. Frankly, that's not a bad scenario at all.

ilsox7
09-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Ya know, that statement is true based on what they've been quoted as saying by the always impartial media. But I observed while watching the first few innings of tonight's game that every time the camera panned into the Sox dugout, they all looked relaxed and happy.

So what are you gonna believe, the media or your lying eyes?

I was referring more to the comments by MB and Pods that they have no confidence in themselves as of now. The good thing is all it takes is 1 good outting for MB to get his head straight. And maybe a few stolen bases for Pods. We need both of them right for the playoffs bc we will be there. Right now, all this team has to do is go 4-4 to guarantee a spot.

MarySwiss
09-24-2005, 09:53 PM
I was referring more to the comments by MB and Pods that they have no confidence in themselves as of now. The good thing is all it takes is 1 good outting for MB to get his head straight. And maybe a few stolen bases for Pods. We need both of them right for the playoffs bc we will be there. Right now, all this team has to do is go 4-4 to guarantee a spot.

I understood what you meant. I just questioned if the comments attributed to MB and Pods actually came from them verbatim. I would tend to doubt it. As for the rest of your post, unquestionably.