PDA

View Full Version : SOX Fans: What can you Do, to help turn things around?

Hangar18
09-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Ask not what the SOX can do for you, but what can You do for the SOX.
Listen up people. We lose tonite, its over. Any good-luck rituals you perform, any lucky jersey you wear, anything out of the ordinary .........
NOWS THE TIME.

We need a winning streak badly, or its another long cold winter in Chicago.
Im going to the game tonite, and breaking out of retirement either my 93 Road McDOWELL jersey, or my 83 autog' HOYT jersey.
Im also going early and offer encouragement to Contreras before his start (hes been winning since ive been doing this) in the Bullpen.

Iwritecode
09-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Wear a Sox shirt and pray to the baseball gods?

Some people wear a cross around their neck. I wear a gold Sox charm.

Pulaski
09-23-2005, 02:06 PM
:gulp: Drink a lot of Bohemia and eat Tamales! Anyone ever buy the tamales from the lady on 37th?

Cat Thief
09-23-2005, 02:16 PM
:gulp: Drink a lot of Bohemia and eat Tamales! Anyone ever buy the tamales from the lady on 37th?

No

37th and what? I am assuming they are good.

For my part I will have my wife keep wearing her Mission October shirt. I would but can't find one big enough. (Like I really need some tamales right?). If by some crazy chance the Sox don't make the playoffs I will have spent $75 on 3 of these shirts for the wife and kids for nothing.

Pulaski
09-23-2005, 02:25 PM
No

37th and what? I am assuming they are good.

I can't remember the street, but she usually sets up shop on 37th about 4 blocks east of the tracks.

shaunburnette
09-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Any good-luck rituals you perform, any lucky jersey you wear, anything out of the ordinary .........
NOWS THE TIME.

I have to say I am not superstitious but it always seems when I have Sox guys in my fantasy lineup they do bad. When I bench them, they do good. Needless to say, I am tied right now in the league championship round and I am going to log on right now and jettison Dye, Buehrle, Garland, AJ, Tadahito, Jenks, and Hermonson all to waivers. Yes, I will pretty much lose the championship in fantasy because of this but maybe replace it with another.

Brian26
09-23-2005, 03:12 PM
I like your thinking, Hangar.

I wore my Sox gamer jacket to work today. I took the abuse. I sacrificed myself to the grins and mocking of complete strangers on the street to show my loyalty and Sox Pride in a time of desperation.

Stranger going into residential building this morning (with hillbilly drawl): "Are you a Sox fan?"

Me: "Um, yes."

Stranger: "Well, you better get them to win soon."

Me: "I know. I know."

I broke out the lucky jacket this morning when it would have been easy to pretend I'm a soccer fan or something. This should be worth at least one win this weekend.

TheDarkGundam
09-23-2005, 03:14 PM
should I break out my special occasions only '83 sox jersey?
The last time I wore it was opening day.

Rocky Soprano
09-23-2005, 03:17 PM
I will be at a patio party with my company tonight. I have all my co-workers pumped up. And even the Cub fans swore to me that tonight, they will be cheering for the Sox because they want to see them win and make the playoffs.

I am wearing my lucky Buehrle shirt. Yeah I know he is not pitching but every time I wear this shirt, they have won.

Madvora
09-23-2005, 03:22 PM
I already tried this a couple of days ago when they lost. I put on my old Fisk jersey and old ratty Sox shirt and a hat, all stuff that I haven't worn forever. That didn't work.

A month or two ago I bought a guitar. I came home and opened up the case on the floor in front of the TV and all of a sudden the Sox had a huge power surge. That might have been the 4 home runs off Randy Johnson game.
Anyway, I tried the guitar case trick again and that didn't work either.

I also try rotating TVs that I watch the game on. That won't work either.

The only thing that has worked has been me NOT watching the games. The last 3 that I missed or refused to watch happen to be the last 3 they won. Whenever I tune in - they blow it. I decided not to watch last night, but checked the score on the website at 9:45 last night, saw it was 1-1 in the 10th, so I decided to watch the rest. Iguchi hits into double play and Jenks blows the game - all my fault.

HITMEN OF 77
09-23-2005, 03:31 PM
As I made my martini this afternoon, I looked to the east towards Chicago and Italy as I poured the vermouth and prayed for a White Sox winning streak.

hose
09-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Cheese's prayers in chat were answered with a win last Sunday.:D:

Madvora
09-23-2005, 03:38 PM
I feel extremely confident with Contreras on the mound tonight, but it still feels weird to say that.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-23-2005, 03:45 PM
havent we done all we can supporting the sox this season?

kittle42
09-23-2005, 03:46 PM
I think it was voodoo who said this about superstitions (paraphrasing): They're silly.

A. Cavatica
09-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Slip Travis Hafner some nerve tonic.

crazyozzie02
09-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Here we go. This is a list of what i am doing. Correct me if you think im doing something wrong:

#1-Wearing my watch on the wrong hand, upside down, facing down
#2-Wearing my rally cap all the time
#3-All powerbands (my Sox and Bears one) are on the other wrist, flipped down.
#4-Wearing all Sox stuff until they win the division
#5-Wearing my Sox Jacket to bed
#6-Breaking out my 3 year old rally shoes
#7-Anything else i can think of.

Any opinions, let me know

IspepAloc
09-23-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm going to avoid the cell at all costs. I've gone to only 2 games this year and those were last night and the night before. Runs scored with me in attendance - 1. Games Won - 0.

HoosierHerb
09-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Wear a Sox shirt and pray to the baseball gods?

Some people wear a cross around their neck. I wear a gold Sox charm.

I have a gold sox charm too!! Wonder if we have the same one??

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2005, 04:04 PM
The answer? Not much.

It obviously doesn't matter if fans show up or not -- in fact, their record is better with fewer fans in attendance.

pinwheels3530
09-23-2005, 04:04 PM
The most important thing is not to lose confidence in yourself that you know this team can win the division!!

Iwritecode
09-23-2005, 04:10 PM
I have a gold sox charm too!! Wonder if we have the same one??

It looks similair to this except my has space in the "O" instead of being filled in.

http://sportsfanoutlet.com/images_cat/bb4226.jpg

The necklace that I have it on reminds me of the season so far. It's broken and tattered and barely hanging on but has refused to break. I'm gonna have to get a new one after the season is over.

ThinWhiteDuque
09-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Nothing. I don't play in the games...The players do.

However, I think we White Sox fans must keep going to the park in droves. That way, we can give JR the payroll flexibility to get more talented baseball players.

Carl, Crede, and A-Row: Buh-Bye

PatK
09-23-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm gonna dump my girlfriend.

crazyozzie02
09-23-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm gonna dump my girlfriend.

There we go. There is a diehard for ya

BeviBall!
09-23-2005, 04:55 PM
There we go. There is a diehard for ya

She's a jinx. Good call.

RallyBowl
09-23-2005, 06:12 PM
:bong:

:beer

kitekrazy
09-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Is there a faith healer in the house who could lay hands on the Big Hurt so he could get them out of this mess?

BRDSR
09-23-2005, 06:32 PM
You know what I'm going to do? In half an hour I'm going to go out to a movie with my girlfriend and then we're going to go to a non-sports-showing restaurant and eat a good meal. Then we might chill at her place for a little while. When I get home I will quietly check the White Sox score and be pumped if they won. If not, thats cool too I guess. Life's not entirely about the White Sox.

This isn't something I've done on gamedays very often this season, so maybe it will make all the difference.

whitesoxwilkes
09-23-2005, 06:36 PM
should I break out my special occasions only '83 sox jersey?
The last time I wore it was opening day.

I'm breaking out the Super Special Floppy Hat. Adorned with Opening Day and interleague pins, it normally only gets worn at Soxfest and for the opener.

Desperate times. Desperate measures. Go Sox.

Frankly Missing
09-23-2005, 06:52 PM
The oldest of my sons called today and per usual we talked about the State of the Sox.

Son: "Mom, I'll get a samorai sword and sacrifice myself to the baseball godsf or the Sox."

My reply. "I'll miss you son."

MarySwiss
09-23-2005, 06:59 PM
I like your thinking, Hangar. I wore my Sox gamer jacket to work today. I took the abuse. I sacrificed myself to the grins and mocking of complete strangers on the street to show my loyalty and Sox Pride in a time of desperation.
Stranger going into residential building this morning (with hillbilly drawl): "Are you a Sox fan?"
Me: "Um, yes."
Stranger: "Well, you better get them to win soon."
Me: "I know. I know."
I broke out the lucky jacket this morning when it would have been easy to pretend I'm a soccer fan or something. This should be worth at least one win this weekend.

You've inspired me! I'm going to a big party in Scottsdale tonight, and I will wear my Starter jacket. This may not seem like a big deal to you guys, but it's going to be about 85 degrees here tonight!

:D:

HoosierHerb
09-23-2005, 07:02 PM
It looks similair to this except my has space in the "O" instead of being filled in.

http://sportsfanoutlet.com/images_cat/bb4226.jpg

The necklace that I have it on reminds me of the season so far. It's broken and tattered and barely hanging on but has refused to break. I'm gonna have to get a new one after the season is over.

I think you and I have the same ones. Mine has the open "o" as well. Its on and Im wearing out to dinner and drinking tonite. Im in Indy so I wont get score updates in the bars, so Ill be on WSI as soon as I get home!! Make my night SOX!!!

Frankfan4life
09-23-2005, 07:05 PM
The only thing that has worked has been me NOT watching the games. The last 3 that I missed or refused to watch happen to be the last 3 they won. Whenever I tune in - they blow it. I decided not to watch last night, but checked the score on the website at 9:45 last night, saw it was 1-1 in the 10th, so I decided to watch the rest. Iguchi hits into double play and Jenks blows the game - all my fault.I used to have good luck when I don't watch the game. But, like you, I didn't watch the game last night at all and they still lost. Today, I'm going to try watching the game in my living room with the TV off in my bedroom. That usually works. I've been saying my prayers every night and sometimes during the game. I feel that's as good as anything else I can do. If it's God's will, they'll win.

I hate to mention this but, I've got tickets for Saturday and Sunday's games and, unfortunately, the Sox have lost every game I've been to at The Cell this year. :(:

Brian26
09-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Can we all agree to do the exact same thing tomorrow to keep this going?!? Like Wilkes said, desperate times call for desperate measures.

soxjim
09-24-2005, 12:10 AM
Send my wife to the games. She is 2-0 this week. I need to stay away I have a 7 game losing streak at the cell.

DumpJerry
09-24-2005, 12:41 AM
Cut the brake cable on the Twins' team bus.

MarySwiss
09-24-2005, 01:44 AM
Can we all agree to do the exact same thing tomorrow to keep this going?!? Like Wilkes said, desperate times call for desperate measures.

Well, I'm not invited to a party in Scottsdale tomorrow, but I promise to wear my 83 Sox cap and Starter jacket, even if I'm watching in my living room. And if things start to look shaky, I'll drive to Scottsdale and find a party to crash! Whatever it takes.

:cool:

Brian26
09-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Well, I'm not invited to a party in Scottsdale tomorrow, but I promise to wear my 83 Sox cap and Starter jacket, even if I'm watching in my living room. And if things start to look shaky, I'll drive to Scottsdale and find a party to crash! Whatever it takes.

:cool:

Swiss- 2 o'clock start tomorrow. You know what to do. :D:

MarySwiss
09-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Swiss- 2 o'clock start tomorrow. You know what to do. :D:

Smartass!
I will have you know that--feeliing somewhat foolish--I watched the entire game in my living room, wearing my Konerko jersey and my 83 Sox cap. It was a beautiful day in Arizona and most normal--emphasis on "normal"--people would have been out jogging, hiking, or swimming in their pools. Tomorrow is supposed to be just like today. And just like today, I will be watching the entire game. Unfortunately it will not be televised in these parts, which means I will be huunkered down around my computer. My dogs already hate me because they feel left out. And so does Mr. MarySwiss. But what the hell, anything for the Sox, right?

tebman
09-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Life's not entirely about the White Sox.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:HZWZzKWofNIJ:www.splitfocus.org/pics/lis-robot.jpg

Does Not Compute...Does Not Compute...Does Not Compute...

C-Dawg
09-24-2005, 10:22 PM
I used to have a sure-fire method to guarantee a win depending on which side of the CTA car I ride in on the way to the game, but this has failed me for 3 of the last 5 games I've been to. But I DO have a new Sox t-shirt; the last time I bought one they won, so maybe this will tip in a victory for me Sunday!

soxwon
09-24-2005, 11:24 PM
I woke up Da reverand, and his rant is in a thread in this Clubhouse.

since it was posted, the Sox are 2-0.

Way to go Rev.!!!!