PDA

View Full Version : Most likely scenario ?

White Sox Randy
09-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Looking at the upcoming schedules for the Sox and Cleveland, it occurs to me that this is probably the most likely scenario:

The Sox go 4-3 in their next 7 while Cleveland goes 4-2.

This brings the Sox to Cleveland with a 1 game lead.

I think that would be awesome AND fitting. The Sox SHOULD need to win 2 of 3 to win the division. That would be great baseball!

rdwj
09-23-2005, 01:04 PM
What about the way Cleveland is playing makes you think they'll drop two? I think your guess on the Sox record is pretty accurate, but there is almost no way Cleveland loses more than 1 - I just don't see it.

At this point, I'm hoping Boston tanks. I think that's our best shot at the post season.

schmitty9800
09-23-2005, 01:08 PM
I'm not confident at all that this team will go 4-3.

sox1970
09-23-2005, 01:13 PM
What about the way Cleveland is playing makes you think they'll drop two? I think your guess on the Sox record is pretty accurate, but there is almost no way Cleveland loses more than 1 - I just don't see it.

At this point, I'm hoping Boston tanks. I think that's our best shot at the post season.

This is the mindset the fans, the media, and the Sox themselves should have. It'll take some of the pressure off. If they can get can get good starting pitching the next 7 games, they should be able to win 5. That'll probably get them in the playoffs before they get to Cleveland. They shouldn't worry about the division until they get to Cleveland because the Indians will probably win six more game before then. As the old saying goes, one game at a time.

Brian26
09-23-2005, 01:20 PM
The pathetic thing about this entire scenario is that three or four weeks ago, we were all coming up with mathematical scenarios to help us feel better: If the Sox go .500, Cleveland needs to go 35-5. Well, guess what....it's happening.

Madvora
09-23-2005, 02:28 PM
The pathetic thing about this entire scenario is that three or four weeks ago, we were all coming up with mathematical scenarios to help us feel better: If the Sox go .500, Cleveland needs to go 35-5. Well, guess what....it's happening.
Exactly. I mentioned the same kind of thing yesterday. Cleveland would have to pull off the impossible just to get back in the race... and they did.
However, I also mentioned that we had a 15 game lead, not a 12, 13 or 14 game lead, but 15. We put ourselves that far ahead and 15 games are still holding up.
It doesn't matter how close Cleveland gets. They have to make up every single one of those games.

enurb
09-23-2005, 02:48 PM
The matchups are there for us to rattle off 7 in a row. Lohse, Mays (please), Liriano (could be tough), Detroit -- bring that on. These games can't start soon enough.

I think 4-2 is realistic for the Tribe. The face Fossum and Kazmir -- two tough lefties.

We're going to win the division. If not, we'll be the wild card.

Enough of this hand-wringing and finger-sniffing.

White Sox Randy
09-28-2005, 10:41 AM
We will definitely win the division !

Sad
09-28-2005, 10:50 AM
most likely scenario is I have a stroke before Sunday...

at least the Bears have a bye

Baby Fisk
09-28-2005, 10:56 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/displacedtexan/blogstartdatefeb052005/pollyanna-poster3.jpg
"Oh you fretful Sox fans with your fretting! Stop it at once I say. In fact, why don't you take a few quiet moments today to stop fretting and think about what items of clothing you will wear to the World Championship Parade that will wind its way through the streets of this beautiful city! Oh, it will be a wizzy-jolly bash and a good time will be had by all who bleed black and silver. Three cheers for the White Sox! Huzzah, Huzzah, Huzzah! Tee hee hee!"

harwar
09-28-2005, 11:02 AM
I watched the indians gane along with The White Sox and the luck or magic,whatever you want to call it,is starting to wear off.
They did make a comeback of sorts last night but came up short.Balls that were flying over the wall or against the wall are now being caught.The tribe announcers could feel it as they were,not as cocksure last night,as they were in previous games.

bigdommer
09-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Tonight's matchups:

Cliff Lee vs TB: 1-0, 1.93 in two starts
McClung vs. CLE: 2-0, 2.92 in two starts

Contreras vs DET: 1-1, 5.30 ERA in three starts (but he has been hot and gave up 7 in one of those starts)
Douglas vs SOX: 0-1, 8.38 in two starts

Lilly vs BOS: 2-0, 2.31 in four starts
Arroyo vs TOR: 1-2, 3.00 in five starts

Chacon has not faced BAL...6-2 in last 8 starts
Cabrera vs NYY: 1-0, 4.63 in two starts

Looking at the matchups, I think the White Sox should feel better than anyone else tonight, with Contreras dominating and facing a guy who they have beat up on. After that, the Yankees should feel good sending Chacon out there, but Cabrera can dominate or last an inning. Cleveland should feel pretty confident sending Cliff Lee to the bump, but TB is scrappy and McClung has pitched well against them. Finally, the Red Sox are a 50/50 shot vs Lilly. Lilly is up and down, but he's a veteran and is capable of stepping up in a big game. Arroyo has been strong, but unless he goes 7+ innings, the BoSox might be in trouble.

A_ROW33
09-28-2005, 11:08 AM
yesterday's indians game will be their season in a nutshell, Down significantly the whole time, gain ground late, but fall short in the end after some excitement.

Domeshot17
09-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Fear Not Sox Fans

If we take this 2 game lead into the weekend, We should make the playoffs, if we take a 3 game lead into the weekend we force at the worst a tie for the central division.

Bos and NY play 3 when we play cleveland, seeing as how one of them has to lose 2 games, It makes me feel more confident. If this was a 4 way tie I would be more worried, but if we can win these next 2, and take one of 3 in cleveland, we are money

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Tonight's matchups:

Cliff Lee vs TB: 1-0, 1.93 in two starts
McClung vs. CLE: 2-0, 2.92 in two starts

Contreras vs DET: 1-1, 5.30 ERA in three starts (but he has been hot and gave up 7 in one of those starts)
Douglas vs SOX: 0-1, 8.38 in two starts

Lilly vs BOS: 2-0, 2.31 in four starts
Arroyo vs TOR: 1-2, 3.00 in five starts

Chacon has not faced BAL...6-2 in last 8 starts
Cabrera vs NYY: 1-0, 4.63 in two starts

Looking at the matchups, I think the White Sox should feel better than anyone else tonight, with Contreras dominating and facing a guy who they have beat up on. After that, the Yankees should feel good sending Chacon out there, but Cabrera can dominate or last an inning. Cleveland should feel pretty confident sending Cliff Lee to the bump, but TB is scrappy and McClung has pitched well against them. Finally, the Red Sox are a 50/50 shot vs Lilly. Lilly is up and down, but he's a veteran and is capable of stepping up in a big game. Arroyo has been strong, but unless he goes 7+ innings, the BoSox might be in trouble.The Sox beat up on Nate Robertson and Jason Johnson earlier in the year, too. It makes no difference. This time of year there are no easy games.