PDA

View Full Version : Hey Lip: Is this much like the 1967 AL Race??

Medford Bobby
09-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Where the Sox had to win a double header during the last weekend of play and Boston was neck and neck......they had great pitching, but their small ball was also non existent....:whiner:

Refresh us with another great Sox collapse..........

Lip Man 1
09-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Bob:

Wow that's hard to say the circumstances were so different. Some things that people forget (don't know) about 1967 including that doofus Mike North is:

1. That on the day of the DH loss to Kansas City the Sox were not in first place! They trailed Minnesota by one game with five left in the season.

2. The Sox amazingly had three full days off between the time of the end of their Sunday win in Cleveland until they took the field for the DH in K.C. Wednesday night. That's unheard of in a baseball pennant race. It had to play with their minds a little bit. Monday was an off day and Tuesday was a rain out. So from Sunday afternoon until Wednesday night is a shade over 72 hours!

3. The Sox defense which was so good throughout that season made three errors in that DH allowing three unearned runs.

4. And in what perfectly shows the 'luck' of this franchise they were eliminated in a Friday 1-0 loss at home to Washington on one of the most bizarre set of circumstances you'll ever imagine.

Because of the closeness of the race and the fact that the World Series started two days after the end of the season, NBC-TV began placing their equipment in all four ballparks. (Comiskey Park, Fenway Park, Tiger Stadium and Metropolitan Stadium.) In Comiskey Park, NBC installed a camera and camera well just to the outside of the visiting dugout along the first base line. A plywood 'wall' was constructed around the camera to protect it.

In that Friday game in the first inning, the Senators had a man on second base (via error) when Fred Valentine hit a pop fly down the first base line. Tommy McCraw, the Sox first baseman was unable to catch it because the ball fell into the camera well!

On the very next pitch, Valentine singled to center driving in the game's only run. That's how the Sox were eliminated from the 1967 pennant race.

Typical eh?

Lip

Medford Bobby
09-23-2005, 11:29 AM
:o: Yes, I have been getting a good share of Mike North online.....
That would be a good question for us out of town Sox fans....."How much Chi-town sports talk do you listen to online...and what shows do you tune in too......?:redneck
Also thanks for the '67 recap.....:o:

TDog
09-23-2005, 11:41 AM
:o: Yes, I have been getting a good share of Mike North online.....
That would be a good question for us out of town Sox fans....."How much Chi-town sports talk do you listen to online...and what shows do you tune in too......?:redneck
Also thanks for the '67 recap.....:o:

Why would anyone go to the trouble of streaming Mike North? Isn't that what businesses blare out of their speakers when they close at night to keep homeless people from hanging around?

DannyCaterFan
09-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Mike North pretends to be a Sox fan but down deep he has been a Cubs season ticket holder in the past. He is always the first guy to jump on the Sox for anything.

miker
09-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Some things that people forget (don't know) about 1967 including that doofus Mike North is:
This kind of implies Mike North knows anything...

IlliniSox
09-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Bob:

Wow that's hard to say the circumstances were so different. Some things that people forget (don't know) about 1967 including that doofus Mike North is:

1. That on the day of the DH loss to Kansas City the Sox were not in first place! They trailed Minnesota by one game with five left in the season.

2. The Sox amazingly had three full days off between the time of the end of their Sunday win in Cleveland until they took the field for the DH in K.C. Wednesday night. That's unheard of in a baseball pennant race. It had to play with their minds a little bit. Monday was an off day and Tuesday was a rain out. So from Sunday afternoon until Wednesday night is a shade over 72 hours!

3. The Sox defense which was so good throughout that season made three errors in that DH allowing three unearned runs.

4. And in what perfectly shows the 'luck' of this franchise they were eliminated in a Friday 1-0 loss at home to Washington on one of the most bizarre set of circumstances you'll ever imagine.

Because of the closeness of the race and the fact that the World Series started two days after the end of the season, NBC-TV began placing their equipment in all four ballparks. (Comiskey Park, Fenway Park, Tiger Stadium and Metropolitan Stadium.) In Comiskey Park, NBC installed a camera and camera well just to the outside of the visiting dugout along the first base line. A plywood 'wall' was constructed around the camera to protect it.

In that Friday game in the first inning, the Senators had a man on second base (via error) when Fred Valentine hit a pop fly down the first base line. Tommy McCraw, the Sox first baseman was unable to catch it because the ball fell into the camera well!

On the very next pitch, Valentine singled to center driving in the game's only run. That's how the Sox were eliminated from the 1967 pennant race.

Typical eh?

Lip

Great story Lip, never heard that one before.

Procol Harum
09-23-2005, 01:28 PM
One other point about the lack of similarity of the '67 season to this one--that season had been a gut-wrenching, back-and-forth, scratching and clawing 4-way pennant race going back to May. While the kick in the gut then was profound, IMHO that will pale in comparison to the El-Foldo of '05 should the Sox not carry their lead into the playoffs this year.

dannycater
09-23-2005, 01:45 PM
This is much more gut wrenching and hard to take than 1967...

To see a 15 game lead shrink in an 8 week period is inhuman, Chinese Water Torture....

the 1967 Sox were never even close to being that far ahead..... the Sox were printed WS tickets because they had the most favorable schedule the last week of the season......the letdown and frustration was contained within the last week of the season, only because they couldn't take advantage of playing the bottom feeders...

They were shutout in back to back games.....they couldn't get a key hit to save their life.....sound familiar??

Iron Dragon
09-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Bob:

Typical eh?

Lip

All I have to say is, "Wow."

TommyJohn
09-24-2005, 07:46 AM
Bob:

Typical eh?

Lip

Actually, one part of this is not technically correct. Yes, the Sox were 1 game
behind on the start of September 27. However, Minnesota lost earlier that day
so going into the game itself, the Sox were only a half-game out. Win both,
and they would be a half-game up. Split, and they would still be a half-game
out with no harm and no foul. A couple of sources, including the WSI inter-
view with Mike Andews, indicates that the Red Sox were convinced that they
would be all but eliminated that night. Of course, we all know what happened
next. Funny how it isn't celebrated in art and literature like other great
collapses. Well, it is well remembered in Bahston.

As to the last part, yeah, Tommie McCraw was unable to get to a foul ball
that he normally would have caught had the barrier not been there. So you
know what we should do? Hunt down the bastards that put that barrier up.
Threaten their lives, harass their families, make the lives and the lives of all
their relatives a living nightmare. Then, when we find them, we strangle them
all with our bare hands. After all, they AND ONLY THEY!!!! cost our beloved
White Sox a pennant that year.

Who's with me?

DrCrawdad
09-24-2005, 08:18 AM
As to the last part, yeah, Tommie McCraw was unable to get to a foul ball
that he normally would have caught had the barrier not been there. So you
know what we should do? Hunt down the bastards that put that barrier up.
Threaten their lives, harrass their families, make the lives and the lives of all
their relatives a living nightmare. Then, when we find them, we strangle them
all with our bare hands. After all, they AND ONLY THEY!!!! cost our beloved
White Sox a pennant that year.

Who's with me?

Teal? I don't understand why. Take off the teal, I'm with you!

:)

Lip Man 1
09-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Tommy:

When I interviewed Mike he used his comment about the Red Sox thinking it was 'all over,' in reference to the final week's schedule (i.e. Kansas City and Washington) not that Wednesday evening specifically. Boston had to finish the year with Minnesota so they assumed that because the Sox finished with Washington barring a miracle (which happened) they were done.

Lip

CallMeNuts
09-24-2005, 09:10 PM
I cried myself to sleep that night with a transistor radio under my pillow.

And I still have White Sox World Series tickets from 1967 framed in my basement.

flo-B-flo
09-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Bob:

Typical eh?

Lip All you youngin' Sox fans, read and send your fellow Sox fan friends to read this synapsis.

The roller coaster rides are similar to that year. I was 10 and I still vividly remember many of the games from that season. And what a season.

There's way to many dissimilarities to even start to point out but, this does illustrate the torture that has been following every Sox fan since then and all the way until now. After that season they were REALLY horrible for a few years.

To me this is just the latest episode of season to kill us that we seemingly have always had. After winning the division,it doesn't guarantee good baseball in the playoffs. But, at least you have a chance.

In the 80's my dad (he died in March 91) asked me "why -- and are you?-- gonna put up with MORE of their (the Sox) ****. I said "you did, why did you?" He just smiled and said "you're doomed, they'll win in your lifetime '59 was mine". GO-GO Sox!