PDA

View Full Version : Sox offer Foulke a deal

Chisox_cali
12-05-2001, 04:51 PM
No Response yet. FOULKE (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20011205_foulke_ news&team_id=cws)

RedPinStripes
12-05-2001, 05:02 PM
This is a good thing! Hopefully is a decent offer and Keith takes it.

Daver
12-05-2001, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
This is a good thing! Hopefully is a decent offer and Keith takes it.

And then trade him for a veteren starter.

RedPinStripes
12-05-2001, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by daver

That wouldn't be a bad idea. The only problem I have with that is, they will have Howry. or Osuna closing. Jerry manuel always has great ideas.

Daver
12-05-2001, 07:10 PM

That wouldn't be a bad idea. The only problem I have with that is, they will have Howry. or Osuna closing. Jerry manuel always has great ideas.

Let Wright be the closer.

kermittheefrog
12-05-2001, 07:13 PM

Let Wright be the closer.

Sure it's easier to be a top reliever than a top starter but Wright got hammered in the bigs last year, there is no way he's ready to pitch in the majors.

Daver
12-05-2001, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Sure it's easier to be a top reliever than a top starter but Wright got hammered in the bigs last year, there is no way he's ready to pitch in the majors.

On the job training in a kill or be killed world.

And he does have two very good pitches.

But then again what the hell do I know?

GASHWOUND
12-05-2001, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
No Response yet. FOULKE (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20011205_foulke_ news&team_id=cws)

Alright! Some good news! Foulke said it was a pretty good offer so I'll take his word.
:dinger
Celebraton is called for!

GASHWOUND
12-05-2001, 08:02 PM

:keith
"Guess who's coming back!" :)

RedPinStripes
12-05-2001, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

"Guess who's coming back!" :)

Would hope they will keep Foulke till Almonte is ready. That would make sense to me. They might trade him at the deadline. Who knows? I think they want Almonte up soon.

doublem23
12-05-2001, 08:26 PM
Would hope they will keep Foulke till Almonte is ready. That would make sense to me. They might trade him at the deadline. Who knows?

I really hope not, because I really hope we're still in contention by the deadline....

RedPinStripes
12-05-2001, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

I really hope not, because I really hope we're still in contention by the deadline....

I agree there. I wouldn't want to see Foulke go. I'd rather see Almonte as a setup man for a year before they trade Kieth. I know they 're gonna trade him some time in the next year or 2.

Daver
12-05-2001, 08:49 PM

I agree there. I wouldn't want to see Foulke go. I'd rather see Almonte as a setup man for a year before they trade Kieth. I know they 're gonna trade him some time in the next year or 2.

Trade him now while his value is higher than it may ever be again,this is a two pitch pitcher that throws in the high 80's at his best.

RedPinStripes
12-05-2001, 08:58 PM

Trade him now while his value is higher than it may ever be again,this is a two pitch pitcher that throws in the high 80's at his best.

The only reason I don't like that Idea is that Manuel will use Howry and Osuna or close. Maybe even that Kohlmier waste of time.

We all know manuel loves to go to the pen when he don't have to. Wright might be a closer in a few years, but this guy's worse innings I saw were the first 2. He's still wild for closing.

Daver
12-05-2001, 09:04 PM

The only reason I don't like that Idea is that Manuel will use Howry and Osuna or close. Maybe even that Kohlmier waste of time.

We all know manuel loves to go to the pen when he don't have to. Wright might be a closer in a few years, but this guy's worse innings I saw were the first 2. He's still wild for closing.

I will be surprised if Kohlmeier makes it out of ST.

CubKilla
12-05-2001, 09:52 PM
While the Sox have many prospects eager to prove themselves in the Minor Leagues, I don't believe that any of them have the ability to save 42 games. Hopefully the White Sox will sign Foulke for at least 2 years. I'll sleep better at night knowing Keith is wearing black and white pinstripes.

duke of dorwood
12-05-2001, 10:49 PM
That they even made an offer is a good sign. If it is a sign and trade type of thing, I think Kip will get a shot at closer. He did his best work in the set up role.

Kilroy
12-06-2001, 01:16 AM
Hopefully, all of you suggesting anything other than Foulke signing and pitching for the Sox are wrong. No sign and trade. No deadline deal. Sign him. Keep him. 3 years minimum. If it ain't broke...

RedPinStripes
12-06-2001, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Hopefully, all of you suggesting anything other than Foulke signing and pitching for the Sox are wrong. No sign and trade. No deadline deal. Sign him. Keep him. 3 years minimum. If it ain't broke...

Foulke has great numbers in save situations. For some reason , he sucks any other time. He scares the hell out of me because he has only 2 pitches. He calls that hanging curve a 3rd pitch. Either way, he is our best option right now period.

I do see them trading him as soon as Almonte's ready. hopefully that won't be for another full season or 2 .

FarWestChicago
12-06-2001, 01:28 AM
It's too bad Lorenzo broke down. I had really high hopes for him. Sigh... :(:

RedPinStripes
12-06-2001, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
It's too bad Lorenzo broke down. I had really high hopes for him. Sigh... :(:

Hear anything on how he's doing with rehab? I wonder if there is a second chance for him to be great?

FarWestChicago
12-06-2001, 01:38 AM

Hear anything on how he's doing with rehab? I wonder if there is a second chance for him to be great? I haven't heard anything, but he's been seriously hurt twice. I'm not getting my hopes up. :(:

GASHWOUND
12-06-2001, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
While the Sox have many prospects eager to prove themselves in the Minor Leagues, I don't believe that any of them have the ability to save 42 games. Hopefully the White Sox will sign Foulke for at least 2 years. I'll sleep better at night knowing Keith is wearing black and white pinstripes.

You would be correct sir, they don't have anybody else wo has the ability to save 42 games right now.
"You got that right!"

longshot7
12-06-2001, 02:34 AM
the Foulke story is up on the Trib website - 2 years, 12 mil.
Ugh - only two years?!! I guess they couldn't agree on a time limit. I don't know, read it for yourself.

http://chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,169419,00.html

GASHWOUND
12-06-2001, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I haven't heard anything, but he's been seriously hurt twice. I'm not getting my hopes up. :(:

:thegreat
"Sox fans givng up on me? But I'm Lorenzo, "the Great!"

RedPinStripes
12-06-2001, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow

What about Red Pinstripes? Jeeeezzzz those were odd uniforms.

GASHWOUND
12-06-2001, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
the Foulke story is up on the Trib website - 2 years, 12 mil.
Ugh - only two years?!! I guess they couldn't agree on a time limit. I don't know, read it for yourself.

http://chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,169419,00.html

6 mill, thats a bargain! It would've been nice to add one more year, but 2 ought a do...for now.

Foulke You
12-06-2001, 01:55 PM
Signing Foulke is a no brainer. Foulke had the 3rd best save percentage in baseball last year. He saved 40+ games (some were 2 inning saves when Howry was useless) not to mention the nastiest change up in the AL. Top notch closers don't come around very often. This is great news. Now I can rest knowing that Foulke won't be in a Yankees uniform for the next couple years.

longshot7
12-06-2001, 02:36 PM
that's not to say that this doesn't improve his tradability - a nice two year contract could be attractive to another team. I wouldn't put it past KW or JR.

Jerry_Manuel
12-06-2001, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
that's not to say that this doesn't improve his tradability - a nice two year contract could be attractive to another team. I wouldn't put it past KW or JR.

I don't think Jerry will trade him. Foulke is the crown jewel of the White Flag deal. I recall Jerry gloating that he was right (in making the trade) in 2000 after the team won the division.