PDA

View Full Version : Running game

Law11
09-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Where did it go? We won games because we pushed the envelope on the bases. Bunting over Pods with your hottest bat? Iguchi and Scotty are statues over there on base. :angry:

veeter
09-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Podsednik is obviously still hurt.

BeviBall!
09-23-2005, 09:56 AM
I would guess we have about 10 SBs since 8/2/05.

Brian26
09-23-2005, 10:11 AM
Podsednik is obviously still hurt.

Yep. He gets on base to lead off an inning and him stealing isn't even an option at this point? :angry:

TomBradley72
09-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Pre All Star Game:

Pods: 44 SB's/9 CS
Rowand: 11 SB's/4 CS
Iguchi: 10 SB's/3 CS
Harris: 7 SB's/2 CS
Dye: 6 SB's/2 CS
Team Total: 91 SB's/35 CS = 72% (#1 team in the AL in SB's) :cool:

Post All Star Game:

Pods: 12 SB's/14 CS
Ozuna: 7 SB's/3 CS
Iguchi: 4 SB's/2 CS
Dye: 4 SB's/2 CS
Rowand: 4 SB's/1 CS
Team Total: 36 SB's/30 CS = 55% (#5 team in the AL, Leader = 79 SB's) :o:

skobabe8
09-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Pre All Star Game:

Pods: 44 SB's/9 CS
Rowand: 11 SB's/4 CS
Iguchi: 10 SB's/3 CS
Harris: 7 SB's/2 CS
Dye: 6 SB's/2 CS
Team Total: 91 SB's/35 CS = 72% (#1 team in the AL in SB's) :cool:

Post All Star Game:

Pods: 12 SB's/14 CS
Ozuna: 7 SB's/3 CS
Iguchi: 4 SB's/2 CS
Dye: 4 SB's/2 CS
Rowand: 4 SB's/1 CS
Team Total: 36 SB's/30 CS = 55% (#5 team in the AL, Leader = 79 SB's) :o:

Theres your reason right there. You cant be stealing when you only have a 55% success rate. Like every other facet of the entire team right now, baserunning is slumping. And I always thought speed never slumps.

Ol' No. 2
09-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Theres your reason right there. You cant be stealing when you only have a 55% success rate. Like every other facet of the entire team right now, baserunning is slumping. And I always thought speed never slumps.It doesn't slump. But it's susceptible to injury like anything else.

harwar
09-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Yea, pods said that running straight ahead is no problem but trying to get that sideways jump off of a base just isn't there.

skobabe8
09-23-2005, 11:01 AM
It doesn't slump. But it's susceptible to injury like anything else.

If you're talking about Pods, its more of a case of lost confidence than injury. 2nd base probably looks about 100 yards away right now, whereas in the first half of the season it looked as if he could reach out and touch it while standing on 1st.

Ol' No. 2
09-23-2005, 11:03 AM
If you're talking about Pods, its more of a case of lost confidence than injury. 2nd base probably looks about 100 yards away right now, whereas in the first half of the season it looked as if he could reach out and touch it while standing on 1st.It's injury. What he's lost confidence in is his leg strength. The adductor muscle is still not up to full strength. Without that he's unable to get that critical first step.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2005, 11:07 AM
Pods has admitted that he has lost confidence in his ability to steal bases. But here's the point, with this 'smart-ball' approach don't you think it would be, I don't know, smart to have more then one guy on the friggin' team who can run?

Iguchi can run, Rowand can run, Uribe can run...why aren't they stealing bases?

Like with the station to station, all or nothing approach from 2001-2004 it seems it's 'all or nothing' with one guy when it comes to running.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Lip

Paulwny
09-23-2005, 11:08 AM
It's injury. What he's lost confidence in is his leg strength. The adductor muscle is still not up to full strength. Without that he's unable to get that critical first step.

So why does he attempt to steal if he doesn't have confidence in being successful? He'd helped the team a lot more by just being a threat to steal.

Cellview22
09-23-2005, 11:09 AM
It sucks that we don't have one offensive threat on our team right now. In the first half of the season, we had a major offensive threat, and that was Podsednik. No one wanted him on base because that usually meant we would score. He was so dangerous at the top of the lineup. Right now when he gets on base, he's more of a threat to his team. :(:

TomBradley72
09-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Pods has admitted that he has lost confidence in his ability to steal bases. But here's the point, with this 'smart-ball' approach don't you think it would be, I don't know, smart to have more then one guy on the friggin' team who can run?

Not to hijack.....but it would also be smart to have some guys who can bunt (which has been horrible for the past two months) and go to RF vs. pulling the ball (which has all but dissappeared lately). The way we're playing the last two months...we're the 2001-2004 White Sox...with Pods replacing Carlos Lee.

tlebar318
09-23-2005, 11:12 AM
I agree with Lip...seems like the base stealing is all falling on Pods and that should not be the case--some agressive base running from the other guys mentioned in this thread might be just what the doctor ordered! C'mon guys be agressive on the base paths again!

Paulwny
09-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Iguchi can run, Rowand can run, Uribe can run...why aren't they stealing bases?
Lip

C'mon Lip, you've been around long enough to know that there's a difference between speed and the ability to steal bases. If speed were the only factor Harris would still be a starter.
I agree with the station to station baseball. More of the speed guys should be going from 1st to 3rd and testing the of"s arms.

Ol' No. 2
09-23-2005, 11:15 AM
So why does he attempt to steal if he doesn't have confidence in being successful? He'd helped the team a lot more by just being a threat to steal.1. His attempts ARE way down.
2. It's not much of a threat if you never attempt, is it?

Paulwny
09-23-2005, 11:23 AM
2. It's not much of a threat if you never attempt, is it?

If he and the sox would have kept quiet about the extent of his injury after coming off the dl other teams may not have known.

TDog
09-23-2005, 11:35 AM
If he and the sox would have kept quiet about the extent of his injury after coming off the dl other teams may not have known.

Other team probably figured it out when they found it was easier to throw Pods out on steal attempts. If they think he's hurting, they won't pitch out. They don't pitch out but still catch him stealing.

My guess is the reason no one else is running because the team is playing too cautiously to run. When there is little hitting, stolen bases can make things happen by forcing the other team to throw you out. When guys have gotten thrown out and there is little hitting, you don't want to risk the baserunners you have by allowing the other team to throw you out.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Paulwny:

Because if the mantra of the team is 'smart-ball' or 'small-ball' and you only have one guy who can steal bases, that pretty much defeats the purpose don't ya think?

Since Pods can't run, if they intend to keep using this approach then someone else has to make the attempts even if they don't know how to do it.

If no one else can't or won't then end the 'farce' about 'small-ball'

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-23-2005, 11:37 AM
TDog:

The Sox haven't been aggresive on the bases as a team since maybe July in my opinion.

Lip

TDog
09-23-2005, 11:45 AM
TDog:

The Sox haven't been aggresive on the bases as a team since maybe July in my opinion.

Lip

You may be right. I can't see the games. But I'm sure the team is a lot aggressive now than it was in July. August may have knocked some of the aggression out of this team. Maybe the big lead left the team content to relax nagging injuries.

But if the team is running itself out of scoring opportunities, aggression is counterproductive.

Paulwny
09-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Paulwny:

Because if the mantra of the team is 'smart-ball' or 'small-ball' and you only have one guy who can steal bases, that pretty much defeats the purpose don't ya think?

Since Pods can't run, if they intend to keep using this approach then someone else has to make the attempts even if they don't know how to do it.

If no one else can't or won't then end the 'farce' about 'small-ball'

Lip

Somewhat agree,
"Smart ball/small ball ' is not only stealing bases, its also being aggressive on the bases, hit + run, going from first to third, speedsters testing outfielders arms, hitting behind the runner, continuing to advace runners, bunting, and getting the sac fly. This team or Ozzie has lost that aggressiveness and now plays safe ball, trying not to lose instead of trying to win.

White Sox Randy
09-23-2005, 12:04 PM
I disagree. The Sox have been running all over the place!

They've been running to get thrown out at third, out at home....

TDog
09-23-2005, 12:08 PM

A post where teal isn't necessary. Not that I think you should be cited by the teal cops.

White Sox Randy
09-23-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm just now learning to use teal and I'm so excited about it.

PatK
09-23-2005, 12:14 PM

Like mentioned, teal may not be necessary.

What I don't get is that they are overly aggressive in some games with the wrong runners, than overly conservative with guys that can fly.

Was it against KC where they ran Everret when the shouldn't have, but made Willie put on the brakes twice?

Paulwny
09-23-2005, 12:24 PM
You may be right. I can't see the games. But I'm sure the team is a lot aggressive now than it was in July. August may have knocked some of the aggression out of this team. Maybe the big lead left the team content to relax nagging injuries.

But if the team is running itself out of scoring opportunities, aggression is counterproductive.

Injuries or no injuries, you continue doing "what got you here", this team was not made up for station to station baseball and wait for the 3run homer. Isn't that what "win or die trying" is supposed to mean.

wassagstdu
09-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Great thread. Almost everything is right on the money. Remember, however, that in spite of the tremendous unexpected success of the first half, this is a transitional team.

nordhagen
09-23-2005, 02:03 PM
If Pods isn't fully healthy that's one problem. If it's a slump, well, you don't get out of a hitting slump by taking pitch after pitch. Someone needs to tell him "Run Scott Run" and get your head out of your butt and get going. Otherwise he's of little use if he's just standing around. He's making the guy who called him most overrated in baseball look pretty good right now.

And the other problem with Rowand and Iguchi running is how often have they even been on base in the last week and a half.

This team needs a visit from Dr. Phil ... or by next week Dr. Kevorkian.