PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone agree with me?

HotelWhiteSox
09-23-2005, 12:13 AM
I know the players aren't executing, but I think part of this is mental.

Main point of this thread, the Sox have to forget about the 15 game lead, act like it never happened, and get this in their head:

1.5 game lead, best record in the league, 10 games left

It's like when you blow a 5 or 6 run lead during a game, and then dwell on that, thinking how it was in the bag, and end up forgetting you have to get your business done.

I think everyone claiming 'biggest collapse ever' is putting a lot of pressure, and I know, easier said then done, but you have to put it behind you and just start a new. It doesn't help when your manager comes out with comments about how he feels like giving up and is having his own violin party about fans booing, I'm scared that our manager is conveying the wrong message. I have hope though by hearing PK and he says the same as I do, if you can't win these games, you don't deserve to go, just win. In the first half, this team was the most resiliant I'd ever seen, looking great after bad losses, so I know they have it in him, that's why I have hope.

Anyways, if possible, a few positives:

- No more Santana. This may've been the toughest game of the season left
- Sox have had the great road success, season ends on the road
- Sox control their own destiny. Just win, you're in. No need for scoreboard watching or pressure of Cleveland if you can take care of your own business

SoxSpeed22
09-23-2005, 12:15 AM
Glad to see someone has maintained their sanity. The only problem is, we've been saying this since having the lead drop to 9 games! The anxiety around me is killing me.

GO_U_WHITESOX
09-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Please be right...I have playoff tickets:smile:

kittle42
09-23-2005, 12:16 AM
I think everyone claiming 'biggest collapse ever' is putting a lot of pressure, and I know, easier said then done, but you have to put it behind you and just start a new.

This I agree with. The organization, and many of us here, bitched all season about the lack of attention. Well, they've got the attention now, and it's part of what's killing them.

Optipessimism
09-23-2005, 12:29 AM
Main point of this thread, the Sox have to forget about the 15 game lead, act like it never happened, and get this in their head:

I think that is the last thing they should focus on. They 're already pressuring themselves too much right now to the point where it seems that most of them have lost all confidence in themselves.

I think they need to lighten up a little. For example, I think it would be cool if Crazy Carl went to his locker and found a big cardboard dinosaur cutout in front of it, or if someone put little flashing lights behind Mark's locker or something. They need to have fun and play baseball, not rag about the whole thing. If they could just get that excitement level back up things could change.

kevingrt
09-23-2005, 12:37 AM
I know the players aren't executing, but I think part of this is mental.

It's like when you blow a 5 or 6 run lead during a game, and then dwell on that, thinking how it was in the bag, and end up forgetting you have to get your business done.

I think everyone claiming 'biggest collapse ever' is putting a lot of pressure, and I know, easier said then done, but you have to put it behind you and just start a new. It doesn't help when your manager comes out with comments about how he feels like giving up and is having his own violin party about fans booing, I'm scared that our manager is conveying the wrong message. I have hope though by hearing PK and he says the same as I do, if you can't win these games, you don't deserve to go, just win. In the first half, this team was the most resiliant I'd ever seen, looking great after bad losses, so I know they have it in him, that's why I have hope.

Anyways, if possible, a few positives:

- No more Santana. This may've been the toughest game of the season left
- Sox have had the great road success, season ends on the road
- Sox control their own destiny. Just win, you're in. No need for scoreboard watching or pressure of Cleveland if you can take care of your own business

I agree with you in your points, but I still vomited after the 11th inning tonite. Way to difficult... but some optimism still exists in me.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2005, 01:01 AM
Hotel:

The White Sox are so tight right now you can't pull a needle out of their rear ends with a tractor.

You are damn right it's mostly mental but also physical, ask Aaron Rowand or Jermaine Dye. They are under so much pressure (pressure of their own making I might add because of their inability to play good baseball in August) that can't react normally. When you are tense you can't swing a bat for example. You start choking a baseball if you are a pitcher.

It is impossible for them to 'forget' about the past three weeks. The fans and the media are seeing to that (and I'm not blaming them for doing it. These guys have made their own bed, let them sleep in it or figure out a way to fix it pronto.)

Lip

pczarapa
09-23-2005, 01:01 AM
We're in first place, until that changes all the nay-sayers can kiss my rear end. I was in San Fran for the Oracle conference this week and wore my Sox gear with pride and had a nice reply to all the naysayers out there (which I can't repeat here). Hell the flight stewardess was heckling me for wearing a Sox jersey. When I asked her who her team was she said the #$%%@# Tigers! The Sox get one kind of press, and that's negative. We're insanely labeled as underdogs now as well as chokers, it can only get better from here. I tip my hat to the Indians as they're playing great ball right now, it'll only take a couple games to swing things.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2005, 01:03 AM
Pczarapa:

Looks like y'all only have a few days left.

Lip

IowaSox1971
09-23-2005, 05:21 AM
I wasn't expecting us to win to win the Santana game, but the fact that we were in such great position to win but still lost it could have devastating effects. So many of our guys failed to come through in the late innings with the winning run in scoring position, that they might start putting even more pressure on themselves. Plus, Jenks was horrible, so his confidence had to take a hit.

I don't see us getting better than a split in this Minnesota series. We could be out of first place by the end of the weekend.

Actually, right now I'm almost more concerned about the wild card. We're three games ahead of Boston and only two ahead of New York, and unless we get things turned around quickly, we won't be in the playoffs at all.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-23-2005, 05:29 AM
The game was exactly what we expected - a tight game from Santana. The pleasant surprise was McCarthy. BUT, leaving RISP for three innings killed me. When they blew it in the 9th, I turned the game off, cuz I knew they were going to lose.

It's on them to have to fix it. They have to leave it in the clubhouse, come out, and play ball. Let's be honest - our great 1/2 half has afforded us this opportunity to be playing meaningful ball with a week left. We have 10 games left, and every one counts. I'm not going anywhere.
This is my team: if they go down, I go down with them.

:bandance: