PDA

View Full Version : Serenity Now!!!

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2005, 12:44 AM
For the first time this season, tonight's loss has affected me physically for longer than just the "hmm...damn" that usually comes with a hard-fought Sox loss.

I just looked in the mirror -- an hour-plus after the game ended -- and my ears were beet red with blood. So, to quote Jerry-as-Kramer, "Oh I'm stressing."

Which is not good. So, here goes. Deep breath. Exhale. Sip beer. Serenity now, serenity now, serenity now.

The Sox are still in playoff position right now. Tomorrow's a different day, and who knows, maybe this team will find its compass and win enough games to make the playoffs, either via the divisional title or the Wild Card. We'll see. It just isn't worth the physical toll to continue to stroke out over tonight's game.

So, here goes:

Serenity now.

peeonwrigley
09-23-2005, 12:46 AM
I with you man. I've been living and dying with every pitch since Monday.

Breathe... sip beer, repeat.....

:gulp::(:

FoulTerritory
09-23-2005, 12:47 AM
serenity now. serenity now.

slavko
09-23-2005, 12:47 AM
I'm experiencing a certain peace come over me, as we all will face when we know the end is near...there will be no more pain...

Brian26
09-23-2005, 12:49 AM
The Sox are still in playoff position right now. Tomorrow's a different day, and who knows, maybe this team will find its compass and win enough games to make the playoffs, either via the divisional title or the Wild Card. We'll see. It just isn't worth the physical toll to continue to stroke out over tonight's game.

I'm past the point of waiting "for tomorrow."

This is the biggest nightmare ever imagined coming to fruition.

This is the only analogy I can come up with: It's like being trapped on a raft or in a barrel on a stream headed straight for a waterfall. Your hands are tied behind your back. You see the waterfall a mile away...it's getting closer and closer, and there's not a ****ing thing you can do about it. We're very close to going over the waterfall now.

ChiWhiteSox1337
WELL SAID! While I've been getting a bit upset over the past few days, I realize that there's nothing that I can do about it. I've learned to simply sit back and watch what happens.

Bluegrass1SOXFAN
I can't do that!!! i'm out of beer and have to work in 5 hours. I guess the only other cure is to stop reading all these threads (they are making my head hurt!).

Wait, i have some smirnoff...but does that qualify as serenity or heartburn??:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

FoulTerritory
09-23-2005, 12:50 AM
This is my 200th post. Although I lurk on this cite every day, it took me 2 and 1/2 years to reach 200 posts. I offer up this bench mark post as a good omen for things to come. A charm, if you will. With that, I am going to attempt sleep.

Serenity now.

I_Liked_Manuel
i'm getting to the point where i expect them to lose, so i feel better when they don't

BeviBall!
My expectations for this team are shot. I'm there the next three nights and hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

TomParrish79
I have heartburn too, but I just thought it was cuz I was fat

Serenity now...Insanity later!

Optipessimism
09-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Putting in MVP baseball and beaning all the Cubs players with create-a-characters throwing 102mph fastballs isn't as fun as it should be after a tough Sox loss.

SoxSpeed22
09-23-2005, 12:51 AM
:bong:
That's all I got.

Chips
09-23-2005, 12:52 AM
I need a good deep breath. After Minny took the lead, The Dude and I were completely silent until I dropped him off after the game. I need a shot or two.

SERENITY NOW

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2005, 12:52 AM
i'm getting to the point where i expect them to lose, so i feel better when they don't

Sadly, me too. Right now I'm expecting not to be able to use my playoff tickets that arrived in the mail today, but hey, if it happens, it happens. I've always got the Braves to root for in the postseason.

TomParrish79
09-23-2005, 12:54 AM
Damn thats a good idea...not the beaning Cubs players, but the whole going to play my Sox Owner mode on MVP.

HotelWhiteSox
09-23-2005, 12:55 AM
I have some consolation in that I wasn't really expecting to win this game (hardest out of every game left), but it made it even worse that we had great chances to win.

Whatever, get them tomorow, and keep faith in KC, they were able to get to Cleveland's 18 or how ever many game winner who has been their best pitcher.

I don't feel as bad, because I know I can't control it. If we can't beat Detroit, Minnesota, and Cleveland in these next days, we don't deserve to win it anyway

SOXfnNlansing
09-23-2005, 01:00 AM
Get a grip Cheeses.... put it all in perspective! In 5 weeks, we'll be World Series champs! No one will be able to explain it, but it is going to happen. Trust me. Our brand of baseball will sweep MLB

iamkoza
09-23-2005, 01:02 AM
Fan appreciation day ought to be interesting down 0.5 game to Cleveland

Brian26
09-23-2005, 01:03 AM
Fan appreciation day ought to be interesting down 0.5 game to Cleveland

Don't worry! We'll get 'em tomorrow.

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2005, 01:03 AM
Get a grip Cheeses.... put it all in perspective! In 5 weeks, we'll be World Series champs! No one will be able to explain it, but it is going to happen. Trust me. Our brand of baseball will sweep MLB

:bong: ?

http://www.spirituosenworld.de/produkte/bourbon/details/makers_mark_gr.jpg ?

http://opioids.com/hydrocodone/vicodinpicture.jpg ?

TomParrish79
09-23-2005, 01:07 AM
You know Cheeses, I wish I had all 3!

kittle42
09-23-2005, 01:09 AM
To top it all off, I lost big at Party Poker after the game. Great night!

Strangely, though, I actually want to go to the game tomorrow...no tickets - guess I'll walk up unless I come across some at work tomorrow.

mike squires
09-23-2005, 01:16 AM
Hang in there guys. I am...by a thread. Wags1978 walked over from across the hall where he works with a different group of boys and I was standing in the staff office with my head down leaning up against the wall. He has told me throughout the entire year and I remember talking to him before the season started how good they would be. He is now a non believer and a dark cloud. I'll try and support you John...hang in there...hang in there.

By the way I said it's 2 to 1, right...and he replied...Mike, It's 4 to 1. All hope was lost.

daveeym
09-23-2005, 01:22 AM
To top it all off, I lost big at Party Poker after the game. Great night!

Strangely, though, I actually want to go to the game tomorrow...no tickets - guess I'll walk up unless I come across some at work tomorrow. It's like a train wreck, everyone loves a good train wreck.

But Cheeses come on man Serenity Now? We all know Serenity Now, Insanity Later.

gobears1987
09-24-2005, 02:59 PM
This ought to be a fun response to type

Stop the fricken Serenity NOW!!! I tried it before. It doesn't work. It just builds up the anger!!! SERENITY NOW! SERENITY NOW! SERENITY NOW!

INSANITY LATER
Sorry about that, I needed to have a little fun here as a Seinfeld fan.

NWSox
09-24-2005, 03:02 PM
I've been trying the Serenity Now for a few weeks and it hasn't worked. I think we need an Airing of the Grievances.

voodoochile
09-24-2005, 03:08 PM
Putting in MVP baseball and beaning all the Cubs players with create-a-characters throwing 102mph fastballs isn't as fun as it should be after a tough Sox loss.

*****!

Can you do it to the toons players instead?

cheeses_h_rice
09-24-2005, 03:14 PM
This ought to be a fun response to type

Stop the fricken Serenity NOW!!! I tried it before. It doesn't work. It just builds up the anger!!! SERENITY NOW! SERENITY NOW! SERENITY NOW!

INSANITY LATER
Sorry about that, I needed to have a little fun here as a Seinfeld fan.

So long as I keep myself out of rooms of new computers, I should be good.

:wink:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-24-2005, 03:15 PM

That's the key, cheeses. Today is today and tomorrow is another day. Be thankful for what you have today, and stay hopeful for what tomorrow brings. Worrying and fretting won't change one damned thing except turn you into a nervous wreck.

We can't fast-forward the season to October 3, and even if we could the pressure would REALLY be turned on if the Sox were still playing games beyond that date. There is simply no escaping it.

As a fan, you ought to be satisfied for how YOU conduct yourself over the next 10 days and (hopefully) beyond. If you're looking for scapegoats, pounding your fist, and generally making yourself look like an ass, it is only YOU who can be blamed for what you say and do.

Everyone here is responsible for their own conduct. You want to be proven how superior your knowledge and understanding of the game is over those around you? Then do more than just pay lip service to the part.

The stress is real. Nobody here is denying it. But after October, we'll still be here looking back on who held up well and who didn't. That's what the WSI archive is for. Make it your friend, not your enemy.
:cool:

Vernam
09-24-2005, 03:44 PM
The stress is real. Nobody here is denying it. But after October, we'll still be here looking back on who held up well and who didn't. That's what the WSI archive is for. Make it your friend, not your enemy. :cool:I'd like to think I've managed the stress well, apart from my fat-woman-in-a-bikini-eating-Dunkin-Donuts photo that the mods removed. My sense of humor is an acquired taste. At best. :redneck

Seriously, though, we all have our coping mechanisms. My dad was such a Sox fanatic that he was literally miserable all day when they lost, even when they were long out of contention in any given year. I seem to have missed that gene, fortunately, but these past two weeks have tested my resolve not to blow a gasket. Arrival of playoff tickets on Thursday -- followed immediately by the loss to Minnesota -- sure prompted some despair.

It's not quite a mantra like Serenity Now, but I always keep in mind the time an interviewer asked Jack Nicholson whether he was depressed that the Lakers had been eliminated by the Rockets (during the Ralph Sampson era). His girlfriend, Angelica Huston, had hosted Saturday Night Live wearing a Sampson jersey, to rub it in. So Jack's response to the reporter was (paraphrasing), Sports are just entertainment, and I don't use entertainment to punish myself.

Those are words to live by, but I have a hunch his courtside seats cost less, as a percentage of his annual income, than my two upper-deck seats are of mine. I also doubt that he watched family members pass away without ever seeing their team win a championship. But I digress . . .

Vernam