PDA

View Full Version : Think you feel bad?

ND_Sox_Fan
09-22-2005, 11:13 PM
How do you think Frank Thomas feels? I am sure he feels 10x worse than any of the rest of us.

It has to be an absolutely gut-wrenching, helpless feeling of frustration.

PAPChiSox729
09-22-2005, 11:15 PM
How do you think Frank Thomas feels? I am sure he feels 10x worse than any of the rest of us.

It has to be an absolutely gut-wrenching, helpless feeling of frustration.

If the Sox do blow it (which I still think they won't), the season went down with the Big Hurt.

TheOldRoman
09-22-2005, 11:24 PM
If the Sox do blow it (which I still think they won't), the season went down with the Big Hurt.
Hurt was a huge loss, but the season went down with the injury of Scott Podsednik. His groin injury will not heal until the offseason, and it has really hurt us so far. He started slumping before he went on the DL, right around the time we started playing like crap. Our offense went down the tubes while he was out, and it hasn't improved much with his return. He cannot steal like he normally could, so that takes away a HUGE threat. He is hitting the hell out of the ball lately, but he is unable to steal. That is really hurting us.

Brian26
09-22-2005, 11:51 PM

I agree with this 100%. This team was on fire before Frank came back. With Frank, we were unstoppable. When Frank went down, a certain psychological advantage was lost, and it was never recovered.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2005, 12:33 AM
The season changed dramatically without Posednik and Hermanson. Thomas God love him, wasn't with the team at the start anyway, they had gotten used to not having him around.

But Posednik hasn't been the same and admitted in the papers that he has no confidence. Since his groin still apparently isn't healed, the Sox plan to put him on the DL during the toughest part of the schedule in retrospect seemed a foolish thing to do. Pods on 50% is better then the trash they used in his place.

Hermanson's injury completely screwd up the bullpen and threw it into a state of flux. Can he pitch tonight? Is he OK? Things like that Ozzie has to deal with daily.

Face it the last two 'magical' years of the Sox 2000 and 2005 were blown apart by injuries and the lack of a bench to overcome them.

Lip

JB98
09-23-2005, 03:05 AM
When Frank came off the DL on Memorial Day, we had a 3 1/2 game lead in the division. By the time he got hurt again, our lead had increased to 11.

We were a juggernaut when he was in the lineup. That six-week stretch where he played was the period of time where we broke the division race open. Say what you will about Podsednik, but Frank's absence is the single biggest reason for our problems in the second half. We're 29-30 since he went down.

IMO, the 3-4-5 slots in our lineup are the team's biggest weakness. On a good-hitting team, Konerko would be batting fifth or sixth. We've had Everett hitting third a good chunk of the year, and don't get me started about A-Row in the fifth spot.

SSN721
09-23-2005, 11:39 AM
I would have to say you can put it on all three equally, Pods, Dustin, and Hurt. Pods and Dustin got us jump started and gave us a little bit of a lead til Frank arrived, then he boosted us way over the top. Since they all went down and have either stayed out or came back injured it is obvious this teams entire dynamic is thrown off kilter. I am not sure which can be said to be more valuable then the other. ALl of their injuries seems to have really hurt this team. We can only hope something else sparks them at this point. I am still holding out a glimmer of hope that they can put somethign together and make and then at least manage to put some wins together in the playoffs.

BeviBall!
09-23-2005, 11:43 AM
When Frank came off the DL on Memorial Day, we had a 3 1/2 game lead in the division. By the time he got hurt again, our lead had increased to 11.

We were a juggernaut when he was in the lineup. That six-week stretch where he played was the period of time where we broke the division race open. Say what you will about Podsednik, but Frank's absence is the single biggest reason for our problems in the second half. We're 29-30 since he went down.

IMO, the 3-4-5 slots in our lineup are the team's biggest weakness. On a good-hitting team, Konerko would be batting fifth or sixth. We've had Everett hitting third a good chunk of the year, and don't get me started about A-Row in the fifth spot.

Absolutely correct. Everyone hit and busted hump because no one knew who was sitting that night or the next.

rdwj
09-23-2005, 11:46 AM
I still think the pitching is the biggest difference, but Frank's bat is missed - no doubt. Same thing goes for Pods legs.

Frankly Missing
09-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Food, water, and The Big Hurt kneeling in the on deck circle. Essentials to life.

My nightly prayer, "Dear Lord, Bless the world and Frank's big fat foot, not necessarily in that order."! :smile:

Rocky Soprano
09-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Big Frank needs to stop by the clubhouse and talk to the guys. I think that would be a big boost.

Would be nice to see him in uniform with the guys cheering them on. I'm sure if the fans saw this, that would really pump us up as well.

XplodingScorbord
09-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Couldn't we get Frank to just put on some mammoth-sized boot, so big he wouldn't even know he HAD a foot, and let him stand in the box and crush the ball. And we could have Ozuna standing in the other batters box to run the bases for him!

Just a thought.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Hurt!

AnkleSox
09-23-2005, 12:38 PM
It sure would be nice to have frank back now that carl everett's turned into korey patterson.

Deadguy
09-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Big Frank needs to stop by the clubhouse and talk to the guys. I think that would be a big boost.

Would be nice to see him in uniform with the guys cheering them on. I'm sure if the fans saw this, that would really pump us up as well.

Frank did stop by earlier this month, and even spent time with the team on the road in Texas. Don't know if he's been around since the Angels series though.

Frank has already declined to sit on the bench with a uniform on because it is difficult for him to move around with the cast on. Could you imagine him in the dugout after Crede hit the walk off homer?

He said he would be around when (well now "if") the Sox made the made the playoffs.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Events directly leading to the White Sox demise, in order of importance:

1) Big Frank's injury.

2) Kenny Williams failure to replace Hurt's bat at the trading deadline.

3) Ozzie losing complete control of how to handle a pitching staff. ie: Kicking McCarthy out of the rotation, trying to make Marte a 9th inning guy

4) Injuries limiting Podsednik and Hermanson.

5) Lack of offensive production from the entire friggin outfield when it counts in the second half

6) Me going to games, they've now lost 6 in a row with me in attendance

rdwj
09-23-2005, 12:56 PM
3) Ozzie losing complete control of how to handle a pitching staff. ie: Kicking McCarthy out of the rotation, trying to make Marte a 9th inning guy

This is the only one I don't agree with. Ozzie has done, with a few exceptions, a pretty decent job with the pitching staff. While it's easy to criticize looking back.

Shorty1983
09-23-2005, 12:59 PM

Your picture is up at the box office, BANNED for the remainder of the season.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Your picture is up at the box office, BANNED for the remainder of the season.

:o: :o: :o:

Funny, but I did stay home on purpose Tuesday against the Tribe because I wanted a win so bad. I had awesome seats, it killed me, but we won and I did my part to keep atendance below 30,000!

Fake Chet Lemon
09-23-2005, 01:13 PM
This is the only one I don't agree with. Ozzie has done, with a few exceptions, a pretty decent job with the pitching staff. While it's easy to criticize looking back.

I've just had such a tough time with the McCarthy decision. We caught lightening in a bottle with this kid, and instead of using it Ozzie threw the bottle back in the ocean for a couple of weeks when we needed some wins. And I wonder if Ozzie has worn down Buehrle with all the innings? I think Buehrle leads the league in innings pitched. I'd like to see Politte more too. No reason he can't finish an 8th inning. He doesn't need to be pulled mid-inning everytime a lefty comes to hit. He stuck with Shingo too long too and cost us some games.

Heffalump
09-23-2005, 01:59 PM

1) Big Frank's injury.

2) Kenny Williams failure to replace Hurt's bat at the trading deadline.

4) Injuries limiting Podsednik and Hermanson.

5) Lack of offensive production from the entire friggin outfield when it counts in the second half

I agree with you on Ozzie's performance for the last month or so.......Not using McCarthy despite him pitching lights out........trotting out 4-5 bullpen guys every game just becuase of lefty/righty matchups without regard to how well they are actually pitching at the time..........bunting with the ONLY starter that is hitting........."resting" guys from the lineup 2-3 games a week in the stretch run (see Iguchi).

In the end though, the only ones we can blame are the players. they HAVE TO EXECUTE.

jerry myers
09-23-2005, 06:45 PM
it would be great if frank could be at a game, pump everyone up