PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to the Chicago White Sox from a Diehard Sox Fan

MarySwiss
09-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Na Na hey hey goodbye-we hope not!

White Sox: Do you not know how much we want you to win it all?

White Sox: Do you not know what you are doing to us?

White Sox: Do you not understand how much we agonize over every defeat?

And glory in every victory?

We are Sox fans. A very different breed from Cubs/Wrigley Field fans.

We are Sox fans. Diehard, from birth through death.

We are Sox fans. And as such, we will never stop believing in you.

THIS IS OUR YEAR. WE WILL WIN IT ALL. WE SOX FANS BELIEVE. NOW, MAKE US PROUD!

Joosh
09-22-2005, 10:46 PM
I'll drink to that! :cool:

mrsamlowry
09-22-2005, 10:48 PM
THIS IS OUR YEAR. WE WILL WIN IT ALL. WE SOX FANS BELIEVE. NOW, MAKE US PROUD!

Apparently we have no basis in reality whatsoever....which makes us closer to Cubs fans than you realize.

Joosh
09-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Apparently we have no basis in reality whatsoever....which makes us closer to Cubs fans than you realize.

I don't like you already... comparing us to Cub fans wont get you far. :dtroll:

soxfan26
09-22-2005, 10:54 PM
:troll

It's a great big Internet out there, there may even be a few Flub fan sites, why not go create work for their mods?

itsnotrequired
09-22-2005, 10:54 PM
I don't like you already... comparing us to Cub fans wont get you far. :dtroll:

Guns blazing. I like it! Something to smile about tonight...

Joosh
09-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Guns blazing. I like it! Something to smile about tonight...

I know, I wish I was one of the mods so I could go on a banning tear tonight. :smile:

soxfan26
09-22-2005, 10:57 PM
I know, I wish I was one of the mods so I could go on a banning tear tonight. :smile:

Seriously, how many of these threads will we have to suffer through before the playoffs?

:whiner:
"Oh the Sox lost again, why are they doing this to ME? Why can't they just win one for 'lil 'ol me? I've been a good Sox fan all year long, I even bought playoff tickets!"

mrsamlowry
09-22-2005, 11:01 PM
I don't like you already... comparing us to Cub fans wont get you far.

I was simply pointing out the inane nature of her post. The fans of the team have shown more support than could have been expected, as attendance has been exemplary. Blind faith in a team, regardless of the effort exerted and results, is the trademark of the Cubs fans. Sox fans on the other hand, (in my opinion), are much more critical.

I am not sure your lack of reading comprehension and depth of understanding of sarcasm, are grounds for my being banned.

Nellie_Fox
09-22-2005, 11:01 PM
This is really getting to be sad. Anybody who expresses any doubt at all, despite the evidence that is hitting us in the face day after day, is labeled a troll, and the call goes out for banning.

What in the world did mrsamlowry say that deserves banning? Has it not always been a characteristic of Cubs fandom to always believe that "this is the year?" Has it not always been characteristic of Sox fandom to hope for the best, but fully expect a kick in the groin?

There are a lot of brand-new posters who seem to have registered only to complain about the Sox since things have gone downhill, but I really think this urge to ban everyone for very mild behavior is getting out of control.

Joosh
09-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Seriously, how many of these threads will we have to suffer through before the playoffs?

:whiner:
"Oh the Sox lost again, why are they doing this to ME? Why can't they just win one for 'lil 'ol me? I've been a good Sox fan all year long, I even bought playoff tickets!"

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm just a little cranky tonight:redface:

TomParrish79
09-22-2005, 11:04 PM
This is really getting to be sad. Anybody who expresses any doubt at all, despite the evidence that is hitting us in the face day after day, is labeled a troll, and the call goes out for banning.

lol its like Salem Mass, White Sox Troll Trials anyone?

PAPChiSox729
09-22-2005, 11:06 PM
There are a lot of brand-new posters who seem to have registered only to complain about the Sox since things have gone downhill, but I really think this urge to ban everyone for very mild behavior is getting out of control.

Everyone is just frustrated. I thought comparing MarySwiss to a Cubs' fan was kind of low, but I don't think he should be banned. Other frustrated posters are down to their last wire, so any kind of defeatist attitude by anyone is bound to set them off. If the Sox start winning, everything is solved.
:cool:

Jjav829
09-22-2005, 11:10 PM

What in the world did mrsamlowry say that deserves banning? Has it not always been a characteristic of Cubs fandom to always believe that "this is the year?" Has it not always been characteristic of Sox fandom to hope for the best, but fully expect a kick in the groin?

I don't get it either and mrsamlowry hasn't been banned by me.

Look, this team is bad right now. It seems like there is still a small group - granted, growing smaller by the day - that seems to be in denial. They'll throw out inane comments about how the Sox will still win it all or are still great. That's simply not the truth. If you can't understand the reality that this team is bad, or simply refuse to accept that this team is playing awful baseball, that's fine. Live in your own little world where it is still July and the Sox are beating everyone in their way. But enough with the dark cloud accusations, troll accusations and calls for banning. It adds nothing and makes it seem like the people being rational about the way the Sox are playing are somehow wrong for living in reality.

TomParrish79
09-22-2005, 11:11 PM
If the Sox start winning, everything is solved.

Your right about that Pap. We should have a forum called Sox Fans 180 Degrees because thats been the attitude all year depending on if they win or lose.

Joosh
09-22-2005, 11:13 PM
I don't get it either and mrsamlowry hasn't been banned by me.

Look, this team is bad right now. It seems like there is still a small group - granted, growing smaller by the day - that seems to be in denial. They'll throw out inane comments about how the Sox will still win it all or are still great. That's simply not the truth. If you can't understand the reality that this team is bad, or simply refuse to accept that this team is playing awful baseball, that's fine. Live in your own little world where it is still July and the Sox are beating everyone in their way. But enough with the dark cloud accusations, troll accusations and calls for banning. It adds nothing and makes it seem like the people being rational about the way the Sox are playing are somehow wrong for living in reality.

I don't understand how believeing the Sox still have a shot at the postseason is being insane. You're acting as if we've lost 91 games, not won them. This season has bee great, and while the second half hasn't been, its not impossible to end it on a high note. Were not the Royals here, Cheif.

MarySwiss
09-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Everyone is just frustrated. I thought comparing MarySwiss to a Cubs' fan was kind of low, but I don't think he should be banned. Other frustrated posters are down to their last wire, so any kind of defeatist attitude by anyone is bound to set them off. If the Sox start winning, everything is solved.
:cool:

Er, I'm MarySwiss and I am not a "he."
Much more important, I am ABOUT AS FAR AS YOU CAN GET from being a Flubs' fan.
And if you thought my post was defeatist, I suggest you re-read it.

(Damn! I am getting really fed up with people telling me what I said!)

soxfan26
09-22-2005, 11:15 PM

He has 5 total posts and everyone is about how horrible life is as a Sox fan. Then in this thread we get a one line jab comparing Sox fans to Cub fans.

So call it presentation, or just say it's the source, either way you're right this site is full of trolls that recently registered just to talk about how horrible life is as a Sox fan.

silenceofthehawk
09-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Sounds like someone is already drinking.:smile:

PAPChiSox729
09-22-2005, 11:16 PM

(Damn! I am getting really fed up with people telling me what I said!)

I was referring to mrsamlowry. Sorry for the confusion.

Jjav829
09-22-2005, 11:17 PM
I don't understand how believeing the Sox still have a shot at the postseason is being insane. You're acting as if we've lost 91 games, not won them. This season has bee great, and while the second half hasn't been, its not impossible to end it on a high note. Were not the Royals here, Cheif.

It's not that believing that the Sox have a shot at the postseason is insane. It's the, "We're the greatest team ever and we will win the World Series" posts that are out of touch with reality. Yes, this team still has a good shot at the postseason. But there isn't a single reason right now to believe that this team will do anything in the postseason, assuming they manage to back their way in. If you want to blindly believe without reason that we will win the World Series, then go ahead and do so. But don't act like those who don't agree with you are not true fans because they choose to take a realistic view of this teams chances.

Joosh
09-22-2005, 11:18 PM
Sounds like someone is already drinking.:smile:

I'll tell you what, my friend, I'm only 16, and havent touched anything tonight.

However, I did stay home to watch the Sox game over going to the Homecoming PowderPuff Football game and Bonfire. And I regret every second I stayed home.

Nellie_Fox
09-22-2005, 11:18 PM

(Damn! I am getting really fed up with people telling me what I said!)Wow, I suggest YOU reread. The "he" referred to is mrsamlowry. The defeatist attitude referred to is by posters who disagree with you and then get heaped on with calls for banning.

Joosh
09-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Wow, I suggest YOU reread. The "he" referred to is mrsamlowry. The defeatist attitude referred to is by posters who disagree with you and then get heaped on with calls for banning.

I only called her a troll because of the "Sox fan are like Cub fans."

Nellie_Fox
09-22-2005, 11:22 PM
I only called her a troll because of the "Sox fan are like Cub fans."Now you're making the confusion worse.

mrsamlowry is a male as far as I can tell. MarySwiss is a female. The "he" reference that she thought was directed at her was in fact directed at him.

In addition, he did not say "Sox fans are like Cubs fans." That's putting words in his mouth. He said it is Cubs-fan like to keep yelling "this is the year" when all evidence points to the contrary, and he'd right.

Everybody take a deep breath. In with the good air, out with the bad air.

kitekrazy
09-22-2005, 11:23 PM
I was simply pointing out the inane nature of her post. The fans of the team have shown more support than could have been expected, as attendance has been exemplary. Blind faith in a team, regardless of the effort exerted and results, is the trademark of the Cubs fans. Sox fans on the other hand, (in my opinion), are much more critical.

I am not sure your lack of reading comprehension and depth of understanding of sarcasm, are grounds for my being banned.

Real Cub fans would disagree with you. Wrigley has become a hang out for yuppies who don't really know anything about the team. True Cub fans despise these people.

I don't really understand this hang up over Cubs/Cub fans. They are not in the same division and not even in the same league. Why do Sox fans look at them as a rival?

If the Sox blow this and miss the playoffs, why should "well we did better than the Cubs" be any consolation?

At the end of this season there will be a celebration in Chicago one way or another.

peeonwrigley
09-22-2005, 11:24 PM
I'll tell you what, my friend, I'm only 16, and havent touched anything tonight.

However, I did stay home to watch the Sox game over going to the Homecoming PowderPuff Football game and Bonfire. And I regret every second I stayed home.

I'm only 6 years older than you, but in all honesty I don't care how much you love the Sox - you should go to stuff like that (assuming its your thing.) If you are gonna watch on TV, just tape the game. Playoffs or going to the game are a different story.

In 2000 I skipped my senior homecoming dance to watch the Illinois-Michigan night game at Memorial Stadium. Any Illini fan can tell you about that one. :angry: :whiner:

DSpivack
09-22-2005, 11:26 PM
Real Cub fans would disagree with you. Wrigley has become a hang out for yuppies who don't really know anything about the team. True Cub fans despise these people.

I don't really understand this hang up over Cubs/Cub fans. They are not in the same division and not even in the same league. Why do Sox fans look at them as a rival?

If the Sox blow this and miss the playoffs, why should "well we did better than the Cubs" be any consolation?

At the end of this season there will be a celebration in Chicago one way or another.

Celebration? Just another title-less year in the annals of Chicago baseball, north or south.

kitekrazy
09-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Celebration? Just another title-less year in the annals of Chicago baseball, north or south.

Sox fan would celebrate going to the playoffs or Cub fans would celebrate the Sox collapse.

MarySwiss
09-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Wow, I suggest YOU reread. The "he" referred to is mrsamlowry. The defeatist attitude referred to is by posters who disagree with you and then get heaped on with calls for banning.

Nope. Sorry Nellie: I suggest YOU re-read. And just to help you out; here's the exact quote:

I see where that quote could have been misunderstood; in fact PAPChiSox729 already copped to that. I was referring to mrsamlowry. Sorry for the confusion.

But what is your problem with me? Huh? Do you think I have some mystical power that causes posters who disagree with me to get banned? Damn, if I have a mystical power, I wish I could figure out a way to use it to win Powerball. Or make the Indians lose.

daveeym
09-22-2005, 11:37 PM
The he being referred to WAS mr. samlowry and JOOSH called for him to be banned.

Nellie_Fox
09-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Nope. Sorry Nellie: I suggest YOU re-read. And just to help you out; here's the exact quote:

I see where that quote could have been misunderstood; in fact PAPChiSox729 already copped to that.

But what is your problem wih me? Huh? Do you think I have some mystical power that causes posters who disagree with me to get banned? Damn, if I have a mystical power, I wish I could figure out a way to use it to win Powerball. Or make the Indians lose.I see nothing in your first part that negates what I said. You said you were a female, but the reference to "he" in the quote you make is clearly in reference to mrsamlowry. The reference to defeatist attitude also had absolutely nothing to do with you. I think everyone will agree that you posted an extremely optimistic original post.

Now you think I have a problem with you? I said nothing about you. You made a post. mrsamlowry compared part of the post to the attitude of Cubs fans. Subsequent posters indicated that they wished they had to power to ban him. I objected. Now you are trying to say that I think you have the power to ban. This is getting to be absolutely nuts. And no, I did not say you are absolutely nuts.

Nellie_Fox
09-22-2005, 11:48 PM
The he being referred to WAS mr. samlowry and JOOSH called for him to be banned.Thank you.

daveeym
09-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Thank you. This isn't the only thread and she's not the only one reading with crossed eyes tonight. Though, since I feel like poking my eyes out after tonight, I can understand.

SOXfnNlansing
09-22-2005, 11:56 PM
Na Na hey hey goodbye-we hope not!

White Sox: Do you not know how much we want you to win it all?

White Sox: Do you not know what you are doing to us?

White Sox: Do you not understand how much we agonize over every defeat?

And glory in every victory?

We are Sox fans. A very different breed from Cubs/Wrigley Field fans.

We are Sox fans. Diehard, from birth through death.

We are Sox fans. And as such, we will never stop believing in you.

THIS IS OUR YEAR. WE WILL WIN IT ALL. WE SOX FANS BELIEVE. NOW, MAKE US PROUD! I love you Mary Swiss..... You hit it right on the head

MarySwiss
09-23-2005, 12:04 AM
[QUOTE=Nellie_Fox]I see nothing in your first part that negates what I said. You said you were a female, but the reference to "he" in the quote you make is clearly in reference to mrsamlowry. The reference to defeatist attitude also had absolutely nothing to do with you. I think everyone will agree that you posted an extremely optimistic original post.]
Yes, my original post was intended to be optimistic. And no, I don't think the reference to "he" in the quote was clearly in reference to mrsamlowry or identified the poster as male. There are several handles in this group that can be interpreted as either male or female--skobabe (male) is one and palehose13 (female) is another. And the "mrs" in mrsamlowry might easily lead one to assume that she's female.

[Now you think I have a problem with you? I said nothing about you.]
Well, not directly perhaps. But then, who is the "you" in this quote? [The defeatist attitude referred to is by posters who disagree with you and then get heaped on with calls for banning.]

[You made a post. mrsamlowry compared part of the post to the attitude of Cubs fans. Subsequent posters indicated that they wished they had to power to ban him. I objected. Now you are trying to say that I think you have the power to ban. This is getting to be absolutely nuts. And no, I did not say you are absolutely nuts.]
Uh-uh. Once again, an argument from the School of Twisted Words. I did not say that you think I have the power to ban. For your--and others'--edification, here's what I actually said:

But what is your problem with me? Huh? Do you think I have some mystical power that causes posters who disagree with me to get banned? Damn, if I have a mystical power, I wish I could figure out a way to use it to win Powerball. Or make the Indians lose.

Cripes! Sound and fury over a little optimism! What happens if I post a pessimistic message?

Nellie_Fox
09-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Mary, I now officially have a headache trying to figure out just what you're objecting to.

Nobody called you "he." Nobody said you were defeatist anywhere in your post. I have no idea what point you were making when you asked me if I thought you had the power to ban people, because you are now saying that you didn't say that.

Leave me alone. I will no longer try to sort out who said what to whom.

daveeym
09-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Mary, I now officially have a headache trying to figure out just what you're objecting to.

Nobody called you "he." Nobody said you were defeatist anywhere in your post. I have no idea what point you were making when you asked me if I thought you had the power to ban people, because you are now saying that you didn't say that.

Leave me alone. I will no longer try to sort out who said what to whom. It's getting to the point where I wonder if she has some people on ignore and isn't reading the entire thread.

MarySwiss
09-23-2005, 12:30 AM
[QUOTE:] Nellie Fox: Mary, I now officially have a headache trying to figure out just what you're objecting to. Nobody called you "he." Nobody said you were defeatist anywhere in your post. I have no idea what point you were making when you asked me if I thought you had the power to ban people, because you are now saying that you didn't say that. Leave me alone. I will no longer try to sort out who said what to whom.

[QUOTE:] Daveeym: It's getting to the point where I wonder if she has some people on ignore and isn't reading the entire thread.

That's it. I'm done. ARE YOU GUYS KIDDING ME? No I don't have anyone on ignore and yes, I have been reading the thread--in fact, Hello, I STARTED IT--but I'm tired of seeing my words twisted, so I am done with this thread effective as of now. My original post was--now get this--POSITIVE--and anyone who is on the fence about that and about who said or inferred what can just go back and review the thread and draw their own conclusions. I'm fine with that. Hope you are.

kevingrt
09-23-2005, 12:40 AM
Sad= this thread in general and the bickering going on

Sad= our White Sox as of 9/22, who says it can't change?

Why did I just post on this thread?= Sad

BainesHOF
09-23-2005, 12:46 AM

I think someone already has been drinking.

StillMissOzzie
09-23-2005, 12:47 AM
The he being referred to WAS mr. samlowry and JOOSH called for him to be banned.

What if that name is really mrs. amlowry?

SMO
:rolleyes:

voodoochile
09-23-2005, 01:11 AM

Hey, no problem...

Well, a little problem...

See you on 10/3 and you can tell us what you think then...:rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
09-23-2005, 01:22 AM
Hey, no problem...

Well, a little problem...

See you on 10/3 and you can tell us what you think then...:rolleyes:So, he got banned after all. For having an opinion that doesn't fit in.

I'm banning myself.

voodoochile
09-23-2005, 01:28 AM
So, he got banned after all. For having an opinion that doesn't fit in.

I'm banning myself.

No, he got banned for being a troll... go ahead, do a search for all the posts that poster put up since being here. It's easy, just click on their name and the click that link that says "search for all posts by (username)".

I made a decision based on the entire 6 post history which includes rips on fans, team and compliments for Cleveland. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... it's a troll.

Besides, they are free to come back to the site after the regular season. That means they will either get to go "woohoo, we made the playoffs." or they will have something legitimate to gripe about.

You want to stop posting because you don't like the decisions we make here to protect the site, some of which are not as clear cut as you want to make them, so be it. I will be sad if you decide to go, Nellie, you are a true gentleman and a great baseball mind, but I got a job to do and like it or not, it hasn't been an easy one these past few weeks.

Sometimes people have to live with the fact that times are tough and take that into consideration. You want to rant, go for it, you I know. This newbie, I don't know and they smell like a troll from where I am sitting...

MarySwiss
09-23-2005, 01:44 AM
I was referring to mrsamlowry. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm a little slow tonight. After re-reading your post, your meaning became clearer. I'm sorry I misinterpreted it.

PaulDrake
09-23-2005, 12:40 PM
No, he got banned for being a troll... go ahead, do a search for all the posts that poster put up since being here. It's easy, just click on their name and the click that link that says "search for all posts by (username)".

I made a decision based on the entire 6 post history which includes rips on fans, team and compliments for Cleveland. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... it's a troll.

Besides, they are free to come back to the site after the regular season. That means they will either get to go "woohoo, we made the playoffs." or they will have something legitimate to gripe about.

You want to stop posting because you don't like the decisions we make here to protect the site, some of which are not as clear cut as you want to make them, so be it. I will be sad if you decide to go, Nellie, you are a true gentleman and a great baseball mind, but I got a job to do and like it or not, it hasn't been an easy one these past few weeks.

Sometimes people have to live with the fact that times are tough and take that into consideration. You want to rant, go for it, you I know. This newbie, I don't know and they smell like a troll from where I am sitting... I'm sure your job has been a real nightmare the last few weeks. I'm sure it took a lot of work by George, West, you, Daver and many others I've failed to mention to set this up and keep it running. Believe me, you have my respect and appreciation. However I read mrsamlowry, and I can't come to the same conclusion as you. I've felt the wrath here too and although I'm not in the same class as Nellie, the departed King Xerxes and many other top notch posters, I was a little taken aback by it all. The White Sox are in a state of free fall and some us saw it in the earliest stages. It doesn't make us bad people or bad posters. We all want to be wrong. I'm old enough to remember watching the 1959 World Series on an old black and white. I thought it would be the first of many. I'm starting to think it was my last. It's only going to get worse if this nightmare continues Voodoo. The need to vent is only going to increase in numbers and intensity.

jerry myers
09-23-2005, 06:38 PM
cmon team win or die trying! many sox fans all over, the city of chicago, the die hards for years need you guys to win for us. this city the sox fans alone will raise the roof on this city if you guys can start playing like you were. its been soooooooooo long, so many battles , so much frustration, so much history and waiting and waiting and waiting . you guys have the team now, as of late you havent been playing like it but you want it and have the team to get it. who knows when our next chance will be, could be years.... do it for you, do it for us the fans the city the state the die hards, weve been exited all year great baseball, never die baseball, lets get to the playoffs, first or wild card. just give us that chance, that excitement,some of us have been sox fans longer than you players have played, or even been alive, please figure it out and that white sox baseball you can play and give us some wins and lots of em the reg season is about over you only need only this week to clinch somrthing. thank you die hard fan:tongue: