PDA

View Full Version : I like the White Sox chances tonight

SouthSide_HitMen
09-22-2005, 03:35 PM
It should be a low scoring game but I think the team will look to bounce back after last night's sad effort. McCarthy has been pitching well and the Twins are playing out the string with many regulars out.

I think the White Sox win 3-1 and win this series if not sweep. I also think Cleveland will lose 1 or 2 in KC and we will clinch in Detroit.

Go White Sox!!!

Baby Fisk
09-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Everything boils down to one thing tonight: the vests.

Madvora
09-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Well, people were also thinking that the Sox would be propelled by a dramatic win on Tuesday and that didn't work either.
They've had plenty of disappointing losses lately that haven't done anything for them. They're completely unpredictable right now.

ja1022
09-22-2005, 03:51 PM
Strange feeling, but it seems like it's about time for Santana and Lee both to get roughed up a little bit. Hopefully Cleveland suffers a hangover effect; they should be emotionally spent. And hopefully the Sox offense doesn't make Santana look like, well...., Santana. I'm going to expect the unexpected. A one game bump sure would go a long way here.

cheeses_h_rice
09-22-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm expecting a loss and have a concert to go to, so I won't be watching past the first few innings. I just hope to get in my car after the concert and turn on the radio to get the score and be pleasantly surprised.

Harry Chappas
09-22-2005, 04:00 PM
I have a strange, irrational, feeling that we will win tonight. Although I should probably point out that I'm on Vicodin.

Unregistered
09-22-2005, 04:01 PM
As they say - hope for the best, expect the worst.

harwar
09-22-2005, 04:02 PM
I find it hard to believe that santana would have his pitches working to perfection like last time out.
However;If he does,the White Sox hitters have to be patient and wait him out and get to the bullpen.

Ol' No. 2
09-22-2005, 04:05 PM
There is a way to beat Santana: Don't let them score, either, and just oulast him. It all comes down to McCarthy. If he can keep the Twinks off the board and the Sox can scratch a run or two off Santana, they can win this one.

I've stopped looking ahead and trying to figure out how many they have to win, how many the Indians have to win if the Sox play .500, etc. etc. It's down to one day at a time. There's only one game that matters: tonight's game.

Dan H
09-22-2005, 04:06 PM
There is one interesting dynamic to the Twins series. The Twins are the outgoing Central Division champions and they probably won't lay down for the Sox to take the title. (Though they didn't seem to mind laying down for the Indians). Regardless this will not be an easy series, starting with tonight.

HotelWhiteSox
09-22-2005, 04:20 PM
I have a bad feeling Pablo will start as he has every game against Santana. Pablo has gotten on, but mainly with bunt hits, Pods can do that.

I want to see Pods get a shot at him, Pods looks more comfortable against lefties to me, screw the matchups. Keep the lineup the same and regain some timely hitting that you had earlier. This is what sucks about sitting Pods earlier in the year against good pitchers just because they were lefties. Now you're gonna start a bench player in the last weeks of the season or have a matchup that hasn't happened all year. What are you gonna do, start Pablo in the playoffs against Jarrod Washburn? (oh that's right, on the third game that Washburn pitched against us this year he actually started Pods and Pods went 2-3). [/mini rant]

Lip Man 1
09-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Given Santana's history against the Sox particularly this season, I'd think we have a better chance to see the Royals beat the Tribe then the Sox to win this one. And that's saying something!

However what anybody says, predicts, thinks doesn't mean squat since we aren't playing the games.

Hope for the best, expect the worst and see what happens.

Lip

Flight #24
09-22-2005, 04:22 PM
I have a bad feeling Pablo will start as he has every game against Santana. Pablo has gotten on, but mainly with bunt hits, Pods can do that.

I want to see Pods get a shot at him, Pods looks more comfortable against lefties to me, screw the matchups. Keep the lineup the same and regain some timely hitting that you had earlier. This is what sucks about sitting Pods earlier in the year against good pitchers just because they were lefties. Now you're gonna start a bench player in the last weeks of the season or have a matchup that hasn't happened all year. What are you gonna do, start Pablo in the playoffs against Jarrod Washburn? (oh that's right, on the third game that Washburn pitched against us this year he actually started Pods and Pods went 2-3). [/mini rant]

Nice guess - AM1000 reports Widger & Ozuna in for AJ & Pods.

HotelWhiteSox
09-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Nice guess - AM1000 reports Widger & Ozuna in for AJ & Pods.

Yeah, I heard that right after I posted it.

I know Pods hasn't been great lately, but play your regulars!

:thud:

Flight #24
09-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Per MJ&H:

Ozuna-Iguchi-Everett-Konerko-Rowand-Dye-Uribe-Widger-Crede

I'm not too upset by this. Widger's got to play sometimes, AJ can't go every day. And with Podsednik's struggles and Ozuna's decent play, I'm not that upset by getting Scottie a rest and I don't really think it significantly impacts our offense since while Scottie's been on base, he hasn't exactly been catalyzing much the past few games.

Ol' No. 2
09-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Nice guess - AM1000 reports Widger & Ozuna in for AJ & Pods.IMO, these decisions need to be situational, not knee-jerk. Santana lives off his change-up/screwball, which is most effective against RH batters. This might be a case where a lefty like Podsednik actually has an advantage over Ozuna.

greenpeach
09-22-2005, 05:45 PM
IMO, these decisions need to be situational, not knee-jerk. Santana lives off his change-up/screwball, which is most effective against RH batters. This might be a case where a lefty like Podsednik actually has an advantage over Ozuna.

I think Ozzie is a graduate of the Sparky Anderson school of huntches. My huntch is that he's grasping at straws right now.

Argalarga
09-22-2005, 06:06 PM
I have no problem with either switch. Catchers need a day off every once in a while, and as much as I love Pods, he's just not getting it done right now.

soxwon
09-22-2005, 06:09 PM
thats if we get the game in, it looks nasty outside.

i would hate to see a DH this weekend.

ode to veeck
09-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Sox will rip on Santana tonight and give BMac some breathing room

mdep524
09-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Per MJ&H:

Ozuna-Iguchi-Everett-Konerko-Rowand-Dye-Uribe-Widger-Crede

I'm not too upset by this. Widger's got to play sometimes, AJ can't go every day. And with Podsednik's struggles and Ozuna's decent play, I'm not that upset by getting Scottie a rest and I don't really think it significantly impacts our offense since while Scottie's been on base, he hasn't exactly been catalyzing much the past few games. :angry: :angry: :angry: I can't begin to tell you how angry I am at this line up. Ozzie, we're 0-4 against Santana this year, will you please try a new line up?? Maybe, I don't know, try putting a LEFTY in there?? :o: :o: Disrupt the man's groove a little.

Truly pathethic managing. Ozzie, I'm behind you all the way, but there's no excuse to keep playing to Santana's strength like this. I bet Johan chuckles every time he sees this line up. "All righties? Excellent. I won't have to change ANYTHING in my approach of change ups and screwballs from batter to batter."

HotelWhiteSox
09-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Rain mid game messing up Santana or knocking him out of the game would be GREAT, but on the flip side, we'd be affected as well. Do we have El Duque backing up McCarthy in the pen or is he still in the rotation?

Honestly, I wanted Hernandez to start today, tonight is the least winnable game of the rest of the season because of the offense vs Santana, and I think we might spoil a McCarthy start and I'd rather see him start in a more winnable game and hope to get lucky tonight