PDA

View Full Version : At least one columnist is on the Sox' side

TommyJohn
09-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Paul Ladewski writes an interesting column in today's Southtown. It is a
relief to see one member of the Chicago media on the side of the Sox.

www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x22-lad1.htm (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x22-lad1.htm)

MarySwiss
09-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Very nice. :smile:

Cutter
09-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Good column.

I wonder if a dozen roses from wind sock were waiting for Hafner at his hotel room in KC?

mdep524
09-22-2005, 01:07 PM
What a wonderful story.

Heck, if the teams had been named the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankee$, ESPN would have declared the first two games Instant Classics.

Yet to hear the North Side-driven media tell it the last few days, the Sox wouldn't be in this predicament if they hadn't choked away a 15-game lead. Hellooooo. The Indians won a ridiculous 36 of their last 49 games, remember? Except for the last three days, there's not a darn thing the Sox could do about it. In other words, the Sox haven't fallen off Mount Everest as much as the Indians have climbed to the top of it.

Whether it's because of their anti-Jerry Reinsdorf sentiment or their Cubbie blue allegiance or whatever, it's time for the media to stop the embarrassment before they miss a good story. There's a heckuva division race in town, if you haven't noticed, and it's on the South Side.
Now sit back and enjoy the ride.

OK....I could quote the whole article. I think that might be the best piece of writing any publication has printed all season.

:worship: Paul Ladewski

Dan H
09-22-2005, 01:09 PM
It is a good column, but the Sox still need to execute. They are not doing that now no matter what the circumstances.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Here's another one for those with more optimistic inclinations:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca22.html

Lip

Argalarga
09-22-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm glad the media is starting to realize that the Sox have NOT choked. They haven't played that well, but they themselves haven't bottomed out. The Indians have simply been unstoppable. I'd imagine if you looked at the best records for the last two months in MLB history, the 2005 Indians would be near the top.

Of course, all you hear out of the Cubune and ESPNY is choke this, choke that.

But we know the truth.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Arga:

Just my own personal opinion, if the Sox finish the season with a losing record in the second half, they choked. If they even finish one game over .500 it's hard to justify using that term.

Again just my own opinion.

Lip

AZChiSoxFan
09-23-2005, 09:31 AM
I for one don't buy the argument that the Sox haven't choked and they've only lost the lead due to Cleveland's incredible play. True, the Tribe has turned into the '27 Yankees since the end of July. However, let's not forget that the Sox are 4-10 in their last 14. If they had just won the debacles on 9/9, 9/14, and 9/22 (3 games that they were in great position to win), they would at least be 7-7 in the last 14 and would now have a 4.5 game lead.

Frater Perdurabo
09-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Just my own personal opinion, if the Sox finish the season with a losing record in the second half, they choked. If they even finish one game over .500 it's hard to justify using that term.

That's a very fair statement, Lip.

skobabe8
09-23-2005, 10:06 AM
I for one don't buy the argument that the Sox haven't choked and they've only lost the lead due to Cleveland's incredible play. True, the Tribe has turned into the '27 Yankees since the end of July. However, let's not forget that the Sox are 4-10 in their last 14. If they had just won the debacles on 9/9, 9/14, and 9/22 (3 games that they were in great position to win), they would at least be 7-7 in the last 14 and would now have a 4.5 game lead.

Right. Its a little bit of both. Not a "choke", but something went down the wrong pipe for sure.

DrCrawdad
09-26-2005, 08:10 AM
:worship:http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/pics/ladewski.jpg:worship:
PAUL LADEWSKI

"Yet to hear the North Side-driven media tell it...

"To say the least, the gloom-and-doomers are a far cry from the giddy bunch who flashed "Ya Gotta Believe" signs in the Wrigley Field press box only two years ago. There is no such joy at U.S. Cellular these days, only a bunch of long faces after Joe Crede hit his clutch home run in the middle game of the series. Ya Gotta Bereave, indeed."

I want names of the media members who flashed, "Ya Gotta Believe" signs at Wrigley.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:8WJfqw7WbXAJ:www.djheadlines.com/functions/uploads/les.gif
SUSPECT

Hitmen77
09-26-2005, 09:00 AM
My favorite line in the article:

"The South Siders are the anti-Cubs"

spawn
09-26-2005, 09:59 AM
I find the Sox choke cries very amusing...Yes, the Sox haven't played nearly as well as they did to open the season. Yety they still have the second best record in the majors. And who owns the 3rd best record in the majors? That's right. The Cleveland Indians. Because of their incredible play the second half of the season, with the exception of the NL Central, they'd be leading any other division in the majors. But it's easy for the Cubbie media to proclaim this a choke job by the Sox. And I think it says a lot that a team with 94 victories with 7 games to play is still playing their way into a playoff spot. It shows how strong the AL is. Also, even when the Sox were in the throes of their losing streak, Cleveland was still looking up at them in the standings. So until the Sox give up first place, or don't make the playoffs, the choke talk needs to be put to rest.

mbwhitesox
09-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Great article overall, but I had a problem with one small part.

There's also the rest factor. Left fielder Scott Podsednik could use a few extra days to grease his wheels. Reliever Dustin Hermanson and his bum back could use a few days off as well. At the same time, the team has no significant injuries to speak of

Yeah, I guess Frank Thomas isn't a very significant player.

Fuller_Schettman
09-26-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm glad the media is starting to realize that the Sox have NOT choked. They haven't played that well, but they themselves haven't bottomed out. The Indians have simply been unstoppable. I'd imagine if you looked at the best records for the last two months in MLB history, the 2005 Indians would be near the top.

Actually, you need only look back to last season, when the Houston Astros closed out with a 36-10 record to knock the Flubbies out of the Wild Card. Thanks Carlos Beltran. This Flubs for you!

Astros won the first round and then lost to the Cards in 7. If history repeats, Cleveland will win their first round series against the AL Least champ and then lose to us in game 7 of the ALCS.

miker
09-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Wow, a non-negative White Sox story in the paper! Too bad it will probably cost Ladewski his career as a sports writer in Chicago.

Soxfanspcu11
09-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Wow, a non-negative White Sox story in the paper! Too bad it will probably cost Ladewski his career as a sports writer in Chicago.

HAHAHA! Thats funny, but also sad at the same time. I could see someone posting this in teal but the sad thing about it is it's probably not that far from the truth! I read somewhere that the reason the Chicago media is praying for a sox choke job is because the Cubs have been eliminated, but I don't think that's the case, I think if the Cubs were actually in it, they would still be hoping for the sox to collapse. It seems that EVERY time I read an article about the sox, they always mention how the sox blew a 15 game lead, we all know that, but they just keep bringing it up, it's getting tired. Hopefully it won't matter when we wrap this thing up though.