PDA

View Full Version : Three Way Tie Question

Chez
09-22-2005, 11:59 AM
I apologize if this has already been raised, but what would happen if after Sunday Cleveland, Boston and the Sox have identical records and Boston is a game behind the Yankees. The loser of the one game playoff (which I believe is treated in the standings like a regular season game) between the Tribe and the Sox would then be a half game behind Boston for the Wild Card. Could Boston actually win the Wild Card this way? Doesn't seem fair.

rdwj
09-22-2005, 12:07 PM
The playoff game doesn't count in the standings. There would be a one game playoff for the WC.

CLR01
09-22-2005, 12:10 PM
I apologize if this has already been raised, but what would happen if after Sunday Cleveland, Boston and the Sox have identical records and Boston is a game behind the Yankees. The loser of the one game playoff (which I believe is treated in the standings like a regular season game) between the Tribe and the Sox would then be a half game behind Boston for the Wild Card. Could Boston actually win the Wild Card this way? Doesn't seem fair.

The Sox and Cleveland would play for the division at Jacobs field. Winner takes the division and the loser plays Boston for the WC. These games do not count toward the regular season standings.

Chez
09-22-2005, 12:18 PM
If you look at the 1998 standings (the year the Cubs played the Giants in a one-game playoff for the Wild Card), that one playoff game was part of their regular season record -- each played 163 games that season. I think the White Sox would be declared division champion because they won the season series with the Indians and Cleveland and Boston would play a one game playoff for the Wild Card.

DenverSock
09-22-2005, 12:37 PM
If you look at the 1998 standings (the year the Cubs played the Giants in a one-game playoff for the Wild Card), that one playoff game was part of their regular season record -- each played 163 games that season. I think the White Sox would be declared division champion because they won the season series with the Indians and Cleveland and Boston would play a one game playoff for the Wild Card.

Also it should be noted that when the yankees played the Bosox in '78 not only did the game count in the standings but individual statistics counted as well, e.g. Guidry went (I think) 25-3 for the year. Somebody check this.

Also, I understand that there no exist tiebreakers if two teams are tied but one would be the division champ and one would be the Wild Card. Is this true?

scottjanssens
09-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Also, I understand that there no exist tiebreakers if two teams are tied but one would be the division champ and one would be the Wild Card. Is this true?

I that was the case then they wouldn't have flipped to see who would host a tiebreaker game between the Sox and Indians. (The Indians will host if necessary.)

TommyJohn
09-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Also it should be noted that when the yankees played the Bosox in '78 not only did the game count in the standings but individual statistics counted as well, e.g. Guidry went (I think) 25-3 for the year. Somebody check this.

Yes. If the Sox and Indians are tied at the end, with one team to be the
wildcard, then there would be no playoff. I believe that the White Sox
would be the division champion based on their record against Cleveland,
which now stands at 11-5.

It happened once before, in 2001. Houston and St.Louis tied at 93-69, with
the Cardinals being the champion and Houston the wildcard.

peeonwrigley
09-22-2005, 01:18 PM
In the event three clubs finish the season with the same winning percentage in either league, with one of them a division winner and another the Wild Card, the two teams tied for the division lead would play the one-game tiebreaker.

The winner would be declared the division champion, and the losing team would engage the club from the other division for the Wild Card.

here (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050912&content_id=1206791&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

So, two playoff chances for the Sox in that scenario.

scottjanssens
09-22-2005, 01:23 PM
I believe this is in the event that neither the Sox nor the Indians are in position for the wildcard.

Could be, but I don't recall Minnesota being mentioned in the flips, but that could just be lousy reporting.

Still, with home field and first opponent on the line it surprises me that they wouldn't play a game for it. Or that if they simply use who one the season series why they don't use that and only play a one game playoff if that series was tied.

Perhaps they should increase the number of games played.

peeonwrigley
09-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Could be, but I don't recall Minnesota being mentioned in the flips, but that could just be lousy reporting.

Still, with home field and first opponent on the line it surprises me that they wouldn't play a game for it. Or that if they simply use who one the season series why they don't use that and only play a one game playoff if that series was tied.

Yeah, I was wrong. I edited my post above w/ the official rule.

depy48
09-22-2005, 01:31 PM

:tealpolice:
good lord my eyes