PDA

View Full Version : Who else feels kinda good?

crazyozzie02
09-22-2005, 12:23 PM
I was just wondering if anyone feels as good as i do right now. DONT GET ME WRONG...I am still freaking that we are not gonna make the playoffs, but a weird kind of calm has come over me. I wasnt really mad that we lost last night and that we had a 2 1/2 game lead still. Am i the only one who is feeling like this and could this be a sign that everything is going to be all right? Just wanting your input.

DaveIsHere
09-22-2005, 12:24 PM
I am completely spent, if we dont win tonight I may give up

tlebar318
09-22-2005, 12:26 PM
we have come this far in the season and have a 2.5 game lead with a little over a week to go in the season and you are ready to throw in the towel? :?:

I don't get that at all....Go Sox!

Palehose13
09-22-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm exhausted and crushed from last night. I haven't given up hope and I believe that this team will win the division. I'm afraid of what will happen on this board tonight if the Sox lose. I am keeping in mind that they are facing Santana, so I don't expect a victory (like I did yesterday).

DaveIsHere
09-22-2005, 12:29 PM
we have come this far in the season and have a 2.5 game lead with a little over a week to go in the season and you are ready to throw in the towel? :?:

i wont actually give up, mentally i am getting so drained it isnt funny. i feel we will pull it off, I just want to see two wins in a row again. I was so sure that the 7-game winning streak at the beginning of the month was sgoing to wrap it up.

Dont know anymore, though i go into each game feeling like we are going to win.......oh and a hit with a runner in scoring position would be nice:smile:

ShoelessJoeS
09-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Never surrender!!!:duel:

voodoochile
09-22-2005, 12:32 PM
This is what makes sports fun. The intensity, the passion, the fight for superiority on the playing field.

This is why we play entire seasons instead of having a double elimnation round robin in April for all the marbles...

Do or do not... there is no try.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2005, 12:33 PM
It's been a long two weeks or more to the point since September 8th. The final ten days could be even longer still.

Lip

Baby Fisk
09-22-2005, 12:34 PM
I was just wondering if anyone feels as good as i do right now. DONT GET ME WRONG...I am still freaking that we are not gonna make the playoffs, but a weird kind of calm has come over me. I wasnt really mad that we lost last night and that we had a 2 1/2 game lead still. Am i the only one who is feeling like this and could this be a sign that everything is going to be all right? Just wanting your input.If you tell me the name of the pills you are gobbling, I can prolly get them for free up here and will mail them to folks down there.

09-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Ya know last night I wasn't mad, maybe it was because we just got out butts kicked, it's the close games like Monday that are hard for me to swallow...If CLE had a bit of a tougher road tis weekend, I'd feel 100% better....but last week I was throwing stuff and punching doors, this week I'm OK...so far

rwcescato
09-22-2005, 12:36 PM
I was just wondering if anyone feels as good as i do right now. DONT GET ME WRONG...I am still freaking that we are not gonna make the playoffs, but a weird kind of calm has come over me. I wasnt really mad that we lost last night and that we had a 2 1/2 game lead still. Am i the only one who is feeling like this and could this be a sign that everything is going to be all right? Just wanting your input.

I feel fine right now. I am confident that we could win 6 or 7 more games which would virtually clinch the division before the last weekend. Does eveyone thinik the tribe will win every game before we play them. Besides the team that is choking right now is the Boston Red Sox. There is a chance they might not make the playoffs. Everyone in the national media is focusing on us but look who lost 1st place last night. Our magic number to eliminate them is just 8 now.
They can't even beat Tampa who could help us next week by beating the Indians. All this does is make the last week interesting. It will make a celebration more enjoyable.
GO SOX !!!!
Rich:supernana:

nodiggity59
09-22-2005, 12:39 PM
As long as the Sox don't give up any more of their lead tonight I'm happy.

ShoelessJoeS
09-22-2005, 12:42 PM
As long as the Sox don't give up any more of their lead tonight I'm happy.
As much as I would love a vic tonight, were facing Santana and the toons are playing the lowly royals...it's almost a must win if we wanna keep our lead at 2.5. All we can do is just keep supporting and hope for the best.

GO SOX!

CHIsoxNation
09-22-2005, 12:42 PM
No hope is lost here. I think with a four game set against a weakened Twins team is just what this team needs to get going again. I strongly feel that we will have this thing clinched before the Cleveland series next week.

Chez
09-22-2005, 12:47 PM

I seem to recall reading that death row prisoners experience the same feeling of overwhelming "calm" on the walk to the lethal injection. Seriously; keep the faith, brother -- I am.

oeo
09-22-2005, 12:48 PM
I feel fine right now. I am confident that we could win 6 or 7 more games which would virtually clinch the division before the last weekend. Does eveyone thinik the tribe will win every game before we play them. Besides the team that is choking right now is the Boston Red Sox. There is a chance they might not make the playoffs. Everyone in the national media is focusing on us but look who lost 1st place last night. Our magic number to eliminate them is just 8 now.
They can't even beat Tampa who could help us next week by beating the Indians. All this does is make the last week interesting. It will make a celebration more enjoyable.
GO SOX !!!!

Yeah, the Red Sox should have been leading that division big with the Yankees slow start. I knew the Yankees were going to take over the division, but now the Red Sox might not even make the playoffs? That's huge...maybe the media can stop talking about them again or are we supposed to feel sorry for them again? I think not.

SAVVY18
09-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Honestly, I had that same calm feeling after last night too. I'm not sure if it was that I was so worried about a sweep or that the odds are in our favor to get in. Or it may just be that I don't want to accept the reality that we may just blow it.

RallyBowl
09-22-2005, 12:56 PM
It's all good. We got it handed to us last night, but IMO we're still OK.

You know, one thing that has always lead me to prefer football over baseball is that sheer aggression shows more in football. You can see it in the eyes more, in the body language. We are in the fourth quarter with 2 minutes left right now. In football, you would be able to see how bad guys wanted it. In baseball, you can't see it as much. At certain times, on certain plays, sure. But it's not as visible. I think that has been the only thing that has had me worried at all the past 2 months. I know these guys want it, I just can't/ don't see them wanting it as much as I'd like to. I understand that pure aggression is more necessary in football, whereas baseball requires more patience. I hope our guys aren't being too patient. To me, AJ is the only one you can always feel has got his nose to the grindstone, probably the reason he is my favorite player. I'd like to see more agressive play the rest of the season. If we play hard the rest will take care of itself.

mdep524
09-22-2005, 01:00 PM
GO SOX !!!!
Rich:supernana: Good points, Rich. Everyone in the country seems to be focusing on the Sox woes, as if they were the only team with issues down the stretch. Look at the record of the other playoff contenders over the last ten games:

Boston 5-5
Angels 6-4
Oakland 5-5
SOX 4-6

Aside from the suddenly hot Yankees (9-1) and the unconscious Indians (8-2), no one is playing superior baseball right now. If the season ended today the Red Sox, who have had a comfortable lead for months, would not even make the playoffs. Ditto the A's, who were unconscious themselves a month ago.

Despite how well they are playing, the Yankees still don't scare me that much in the playoffs, I think the Sox could take them. The Angels scare me. And the Indians, we'll see. It'd be the ALCS, and so much could change by then.

I admit, I have been very calm and confident during this "collapse," (AKA run of blah mediocrity coupled with an Indians hot streak), but last night really bothered me, more than any other time this past month. Still, no one is running away with the AL, we've got as good a chance as anyone.

Clarkdog
09-22-2005, 01:02 PM
I think I'm simply emotionally spent from Tuesday's win. Last night I liked our chances, but I didn't find myself on the edge of my seat like the night before. The only reason for this is that given Monday's and Tuesday's performance I simply don't believe that the Sox will miss the playoffs. And if they do, it certainly won't be from a lack of effort. And I guess that is all you can ask for. The team will go out and try and give their best to see this thing through. I cannot believe that these guys would simply allow it to slip away.

Another reason for this sense of calm is that if they do collapse, the pain of it is not my burden to carry. As a fan I did the best to support this team as I could - I defended them against thier detractors and tried to convert them to fans, went to as many games as I could, and always made sure to follow them on TV and radio for every game. I think we all have - look at attendance and ratings - both at highs. And I'll be back to do the same next season regardless of the outcome.

If they fail, and failure is such a strong word for a team that has won 90+ games, but if they do - the burden of it lies on Jerry, Kenny, Ozzie and the players.

That is what I worry about. How will they react?

Will this create a hangover for this organization that will affect it for future seasons? Or will it encite a new and feverish attitude towards winning - more than we have ever seen in the past? This is a weird mental place to be in - but not for the White Sox organization. Somehow they had to figure out how cast themselves out of the dark shadow of the 1919 Black Sox scandal. But some believe that shadow is still there to this day. Who knows?

All of this could be completely irrelevant is they take care of thier own business in the next 11 games.

voodoochile
09-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Just got an image from the movie Remember the Titans of them dancing their way onto the field.

"We feel... Real good... We feel... Real good!"

Do your happy dance, little dude... Let's go get them Twinkies...:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

spiffie
Does eveyone thinik the tribe will win every game before we play them.
That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. I am not saying we won't make the playoffs, or even that we won't win the division. But we're going to have to take care of our own business. I'm not looking to TB or KC to do our work for us. If CLE goes undefeated until we meet them next, I won't be stunned or even raise an eyebrow, in fact I kind of expect it (or at worst for them to lose 1 game). So let's go out, win OUR games, and take this damn division that we've led from day 1!

voodoochile
I think I'm simply emotionally spent from Tuesday's win. Last night I liked our chances, but I didn't find myself on the edge of my seat like the night before. The only reason for this is that given Monday's and Tuesday's performance I simply don't believe that the Sox will miss the playoffs. And if they do, it certainly won't be from a lack of effort. And I guess that is all you can ask for. The team will go out and try and give their best to see this thing through. I cannot believe that these guys would simply allow it to slip away.

Another reason for this sense of calm is that if they do collapse, the pain of it is not my burden to carry. As a fan I did the best to support this team as I could - I defended them against thier detractors and tried to convert them to fans, went to as many games as I could, and always made sure to follow them on TV and radio for every game. I think we all have - look at attendance and ratings - both at highs. And I'll be back to do the same next season regardless of the outcome.

If they fail, and failure is such a strong word for a team that has won 90+ games, but if they do - the burden of it lies on Jerry, Kenny, Ozzie and the players.

That is what I worry about. How will they react?

Will this create a hangover for this organization that will affect it for future seasons? Or will it encite a new and feverish attitude towards winning - more than we have ever seen in the past? This is a weird mental place to be in - but not for the White Sox organization. Somehow they had to figure out how cast themselves out of the dark shadow of the 1919 Black Sox scandal. But some believe that shadow is still there to this day. Who knows?

All of this could be completely irrelevant is they take care of thier own business in the next 11 games.

Great post...

TommyJohn
09-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Right now, the Stay Positive, everything-will-turn-out-fine side of me is
having a battle with its Dark Cloud alter ego. I mean, this is a knockdown,
drag-out fight of Ali-Frazier, Thrilla In Manila proportions. Tuesday night,
I was off the ledge. Last night, back on. It's just crazy. Right now I'm
reay to jump again. It is just unbelievable that a team that started off the
month 7-0 is suddenly crashing and burning. Crazy!

CaptainBallz
09-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Does eveyone thinik the tribe will win every game before we play them.

:dunno:

:?:

Hangar18
09-22-2005, 01:22 PM

Tlebar, can you please go in the SOX clubhouse and TELL THEM THIS!

dannycater
09-22-2005, 01:27 PM
This is what makes sports fun. The intensity, the passion, the fight for superiority on the playing field.

This is why we play entire seasons instead of having a double elimnation round robin in April for all the marbles...

Under fairly normal circumstances that would be true, but when you have a 15 game lead on Aug. 1st and it comes down to this, it's more of a fight to keep your head above water than for superiority...

if this happened 20 or more years ago, it could be a little easier to deal with...now you have a bombardment of media coming at you from every angle....cable TV, radio, internet, print..constantly reminding you of the "coulda, shoulda, woulda's "....

Madvora
09-22-2005, 01:34 PM
I know how you feel. I've been saying that I was going to give up on the Sox forever for 3 years now. I keep telling people that I'm about to become a Brewers fan and after every loss I believe it for a little while. These last 3 years especially have been the hardest I have ever had to take.
I do have a calm over me now because I am not watching a game again until they are about to clinch. The last 3 games I didn't watch were the last 3 games they won. Whenever I have watched lately, they lose. That's a lot a watching and a lot of losing and that's all I've seen.

Currently I'm telling myself that this is the last straw and that I'm giving up on this team forever if they don't make the playoffs, but I do have that calm over me because... by me not watching again, they will start to win again. So all is fine.

PaulDrake
09-22-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm exhausted and crushed from last night. I haven't given up hope and I believe that this team will win the division. I'm afraid of what will happen on this board tonight if the Sox lose. I am keeping in mind that they are facing Santana, so I don't expect a victory (like I did yesterday). If you want to win a WS you have beat guys like Santana. Why not tonight? This team is running out of tomorrows.

dannycater
09-22-2005, 01:56 PM
If you want to win a WS you have beat guys like Santana. Why not tonight? This team is running out of tomorrows.

That has been my feeling all along.....

If the Sox do make the playoffs, they are going to be facing tough, tough pitching...

If they can't beat guys like Santana, how are they going to fare in the playoffs?

they have to completely beat up on Minnesota and Detroit....two teams that are going nowhere...if they can't do that, they maybe they don't deserve to be in the playoffs..

Tannerfan
09-22-2005, 01:57 PM
I found myself getting overly upset over all these recent lossses, and decided it was time to calm down. I don't post very often but I'm on here everyday and admire you guys who can stay optimistic, but I cannot. I've been following The White Sox since I was 9 years old in 1967, and I've seen so many fades and missed opportunities along with the horrible years, that when the lead was down to 9 1/2, I knew we were in trouble. It wasn't the numbers, it was the way we are playing. Most important we have a manager who doesn't know how to handle a pitching staff. This is what's killing us. My guess is that we will not make the playoffs at all. Indians will have the lead by Sunday or Monday, and we will blow the wild card in Cleveland on the last weekend. Sorry for rambling, but I had to get this off my chest.

tlebar318
09-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Tlebar, can you please go in the SOX clubhouse and TELL THEM THIS!

Hangar--if you get me the plane ticket to the Southside from Orlando I will be more than happy to talk to Ozzie and the boys about this...:D:

OEO Magglio
09-22-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm mentally drained from this team and last night hurt a lot but I still have hope and faith and won't give up on these guys until they're eliminated.

LauraJ14
09-22-2005, 02:55 PM
That has been my feeling all along.....

If the Sox do make the playoffs, they are going to be facing tough, tough pitching...

If they can't beat guys like Santana, how are they going to fare in the playoffs?

they have to completely beat up on Minnesota and Detroit....two teams that are going nowhere...if they can't do that, they maybe they don't deserve to be in the playoffs..

Just to ask the question, but what starting pitchers do you fear in the AL?
Boston is having trouble with the staff, no closer, Schilling is not Schilling of 2004.
Yankees - Aaron Small and Shawn Chacon (no playoff experience). If Randy and Mussina are on, okay maybe.
Cleveland - We have been beaten CC and Westbrook, I don't remember Cliff Lee pitching against us.
Angels - Colon, who else is their starters?
A's - Harden isn't healthy, and they have seemed to come back done to earth lately.

What am I missing? The dominant pitching seems to be in the NL and thats the World Series.

Johan Santana will be sitting at home in the playoffs!

Argalarga
09-22-2005, 02:58 PM
But he's not sitting at home tonight...

Sad
09-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Just to ask the question, but what starting pitchers do you fear in the AL?
Boston is having trouble with the staff, no closer, Schilling is not Schilling of 2004.
Yankees - Aaron Small and Shawn Chacon (no playoff experience). If Randy and Mussina are on, okay maybe.
Cleveland - We have been beaten CC and Westbrook, I don't remember Cliff Lee pitching against us.
Angels - Colon, who else is their starters?
A's - Harden isn't healthy, and they have seemed to come back done to earth lately.

What am I missing? The dominant pitching seems to be in the NL and thats the World Series.

Johan Santana will be sitting at home in the playoffs!

pffffffffft.... the way we're hitting lately, all of em...

IowaSox1971
09-22-2005, 03:21 PM
I do not feel very good about our situation. We had a chance to basically put Cleveland away if we had won this series, and we didn't do that. And in the decisive game of the series, we were pounded. And tonight we face our nemesis, so, no, I do not feel good about this situation.

Thankfully, we can fall back on the wild card, but you have to ask yourself this question: Does Major League Baseball want us to get into the postseason at the expense of the Red Sox or Yankees? So I would not expect many calls by the umpires to go our way the rest of the season. The umpires will do their part to make sure the Yankees and Red Sox make the playoffs. I would not be surprised at all if we miss the postseason altogether, although that would be difficult to do.

akingamongstmen
09-22-2005, 03:27 PM
I do not feel very good about our situation. We had a chance to basically put Cleveland away if we had won this series, and we didn't do that. And in the decisive game of the series, we were pounded. And tonight we face our nemesis, so, no, I do not feel good about this situation.

Thankfully, we can fall back on the wild card, but you have to ask yourself this question: Does Major League Baseball want us to get into the postseason at the expense of the Red Sox or Yankees? So I would not expect many calls by the umpires to go our way the rest of the season. The umpires will do their part to make sure the Yankees and Red Sox make the playoffs. I would not be surprised at all if we miss the postseason altogether, although that would be difficult to do.

:kukoo:...just wow. Let's not get started with wild conspiracy theories just yet, ok?

MarySwiss
09-22-2005, 03:30 PM
:kukoo:...just wow. Let's not get started with wild conspiracy theories just yet, ok?

I agree, although I'm gonna start wondering if all of a sudden Hunter Wendlestedt's (sp?) crew winds up working all our games. :rolleyes:

oeo
09-22-2005, 03:36 PM
I hope the crowd comes out in full force like the first two games against the Indians. Especially in the second game, I really think the volume of the crowd got to the Indians...they made a lot of mental mistakes. So if you're going to tonight, get loud, stay loud and bring home a White Sox winner!

Iwritecode
09-22-2005, 03:37 PM

Have you been wearing Hangar's tinfoil hat?

FielderJones
09-22-2005, 03:46 PM
I feel fine right now. I am confident that we could win 6 or 7 more games which would virtually clinch the division before the last weekend. Does eveyone thinik the tribe will win every game before we play them.

They pretty much have to. Take a look at their RIOT (http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/%7Ebaseball/american_league.html) numbers. Right now, to clinch a tie for first in the division, they have to run the table on their remaining ten games. They need to depend on a lot of help. Each and every game they lose is huge for their division and wild card chances. That's a lot of pressure.

oeo
09-22-2005, 03:57 PM
They pretty much have to. Take a look at their RIOT (http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/%7Ebaseball/american_league.html) numbers. Right now, to clinch a tie for first in the division, they have to run the table on their remaining ten games. They need to depend on a lot of help. Each and every game they lose is huge for their division and wild card chances. That's a lot of pressure.

Well...the Yankees, Red Sox, and Indians have even more pressure on them. We're still in good shape, just need to start winning again. Lets start with beating Johan tonight.

StrTrkker
09-22-2005, 04:04 PM
GO SOX !!!!

Man...im with you. I think Tampa Bay is gonna give Cleveland fits and may wind up winning 2 out of 3. If anything...Boston will fall apart and actually might lose the wild card to the Indians.

I kinda want to see the Sox tangle again with the Indians in post-season just to get some revenge on those jerks. Then again I wouldnt mind the Sox eliminating them on the last day of the season and give the WC to Boston.

Ahhhh....what ever road takes us to the World Series will work. :tongue:

jerry myers
09-22-2005, 04:33 PM
I get tired of hawk making the other team sound so good all the time! drives me crazy, maybe its just me, but he has that giving up tone like their all better than us. but it would help if the team could stop blowing chances.

deck27
09-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Will tell the story of the season. Four home games against a hated rival. Four games against a pitcher-less team that's thrown in the towel. Forget about CLE, NY and BOS.

If we go 4-4 or worse, Reinsdorf should call Selig and politely pull a Notre Dame...decline the remainder of the season playoff spot or not.

If we go 5-3 or better, we'll almost be assured of a playoff spot and can play loose in Cleveland.

DaleJRFan
09-22-2005, 04:50 PM
call me crazy... but I'm not too worried. I want to see MY team in the post season. I want to celebrate a Sox championship. While at the same time, I realize it's only baseball. It's a game. If the Sox do completely bomb out, its not like my heart will stop beating or my arms will fall off or something... I'll keep on living. I'm young enough to have hope for another magic season down the line.

It will suck having to listen to my Scrub fan co-workers all off-season, but like I said, if the Sox do choke, I've got it coming to me for all the crap I've dished out this season gloating. :redneck

LauraJ14
09-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Will tell the story of the season. Four home games against a hated rival. Four games against a pitcher-less team that's thrown in the towel. Forget about CLE, NY and BOS.

If we go 4-4 or worse, Reinsdorf should call Selig and politely pull a Notre Dame...decline the remainder of the season playoff spot or not.

If we go 5-3 or better, we'll almost be assured of a playoff spot and can play loose in Cleveland.

Who cares how we got into the playoffs? Its not like we have this long history of making the playoffs. Anything can happen in a best of 5 series. Lets take care of our business and see what happens. See this is what teams like the Yankees and Red Sox deal with each September and us White Sox are not used to this.

ode to veeck
09-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Voodoochile raised his hand by stating:

Do or do not... there is no try.

Ode also raises his hand in agreement with the thread title

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-22-2005, 04:58 PM
how could you be calm after last night? I was extremley angry then but im feeling better now, and i wont be mad if we dont pull of a win tonight. I just found out im gonig on sunday so i'm happier.:cool:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-22-2005, 05:00 PM

Rational :rolleyes:

soxjim
09-22-2005, 06:36 PM
I haven't lost faith. Sure I have been disappointed at times this season. Thats being a fan and thats baseball. I just care about tonights game. Tomorrow I care about that game and so on. I still plan on being at the cell on Sunday.

starboy0
09-22-2005, 06:48 PM
...but a weird kind of calm has come over me. I wasnt really mad that we lost last night and that we had a 2 1/2 game lead still. Am i the only one who is feeling like this and could this be a sign that everything is going to be all right? Just wanting your input.

I think it is a psychological reaction to persistent stress. Let's face it; it's been a tough few weeks. Up and down, bad streak, good streak, all the while Cleveland keeps gaining, gaining, gaining.

After Monday's game it happened to me. All day Tuesday I had let go of any and all expectations of what would happen. Perhaps it was my psyche saying, "enough all ready... give it some rest; what wil be will be." (I feel a Doris Day song coming on)

And then we win Tuesday in dramatic fashion and I'm all jacked up again and fretting about Wednesday's game. Today just down in the friggin' dumps.

So go figure.

DaleJRFan
09-22-2005, 07:24 PM

Cliff Lee pitched against the Sox on the third day of the season, April 7th and he got RAILED. Indians went to the pen and the scoring stopped for the Sox. Shingo came on in the 9th and promptly blew the game.

Frankfan4life
09-22-2005, 09:19 PM
I was just wondering if anyone feels as good as i do right now. DONT GET ME WRONG...I am still freaking that we are not gonna make the playoffs, but a weird kind of calm has come over me. I wasnt really mad that we lost last night and that we had a 2 1/2 game lead still. Am i the only one who is feeling like this and could this be a sign that everything is going to be all right? Just wanting your input.It's funny you should say that. I was at the game yesterday with a group of about 34 other people. One of my co-workers who gave me a ride home after the game was completely bummed out. I found my self quite calm and reflective as I attempted to comfort him. That feeling really was unusual because I have been freaking out the last few weeks. I've concluded that it could only mean three things: (1) that I've finally put this downward spiral into perspective and accepted it for what it is (in order to save my mental and physical health perhaps) or (2) it's the calm before the storm, or (3) hopefully, things are going to be alright.

Still, I was relieved not to be living on the edge for a while. Of course I want the Sox to win the division and the World Series but, regardless of what happens next, I feel I can handle it. At any rate, I realize the Sox's destiny is out of my hands so,...God bless 'em. Que Sera, Sera.