PDA

View Full Version : Griffey done for the Year

DrGiggles
09-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Wow, isn't this funny? http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050922&content_id=1219629&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

SoxSpeed22
09-22-2005, 12:21 PM
He may not have had this knee injury if he was DH for us instead of running around in center. Go CYoung, BMac, Rogo!

Jjav829
09-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Wow, isn't this funny? http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050922&content_id=1219629&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

No. Why would it be funny? :?:

CHIsoxNation
09-22-2005, 12:34 PM

I don't find any humor in this at all. I'm sure it wasn't his choice not to come to Chicago, I wouldn't wish him this even if he did decide to come here. He showed this year how dominant he still can be. He was my favorite athlete growing up. It's really sad to see something like this happen to such a great guy.

Konerkoholic
09-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't call that funny. It sucks that he's gotta go through that again.

DrGiggles
09-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Not a haha funny, but if we would have gotten him this would have happened to us. I love the guy and hate that he's hurt, but it would have killed us.

SoxSpeed22
09-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Off topic! If Cincy didn't want to trade him, why didn't they just say so? Instead of leaving us hangin' like that. Obviously, the most common and logical answer is 'because they're dumb.'

Brian26
09-22-2005, 12:53 PM
:hawk

"Where's he gonna get the surgery?"

:DJ

"Will you just stop!"

spiffie
09-22-2005, 01:15 PM
I don't find any humor in this at all. I'm sure it wasn't his choice not to come to Chicago, I wouldn't wish him this even if he did decide to come here. He showed this year how dominant he still can be. He was my favorite athlete growing up. It's really sad to see something like this happen to such a great guy.
If he would have said at any point during all of this "while I love my hometown fans in Cincinnati, I would of course be excited to go to a team in the thick of a pennant race" this trade would have been made. He didn't, it wasn't, he can spend the rest of his career chasing personal milestones on a go-nowhere team and take the mantle of "Best player never to get to a World Series" when he retires. That was his choice as best I can tell, so good luck to him with that.

OEO Magglio
09-22-2005, 01:56 PM
That's to bad. I really like Griffey, I'm hoping that he'll be able to go a whole year without getting an injury.

wdelaney72
09-22-2005, 02:25 PM
:hawk

"Where's he gonna get the surgery?"

:DJ

"Will you just stop!"

POTW!

I can't stop laughing!

Randar68
09-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Not a haha funny, but if we would have gotten him this would have happened to us. I love the guy and hate that he's hurt, but it would have killed us.

You realize he hurt his foot, the Reds are out of the playoffs, and that the surgery is actually to clean up remnants and scar tissue from past injuries...

If he was on a playoff team, he would be playing tonight. Instead, he's having the surgery now to have the most possible rehab time prior to next year...

The foot injury was only supposed to keep him out for a couple weeks and if he could have DH's, he would have...

Sheeesh...

FielderJones
09-22-2005, 03:37 PM
You realize he hurt his foot, the Reds are out of the playoffs, and that the surgery is actually to clean up remnants and scar tissue from past injuries...

If he was on a playoff team, he would be playing tonight. Instead, he's having the surgery now to have the most possible rehab time prior to next year...

The foot injury was only supposed to keep him out for a couple weeks and if he could have DH's, he would have...

Sheeesh...

Yeah, but you didn't want him DHing. You wanted him taking good routes to the ball in center. :tongue:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-22-2005, 03:43 PM
He may not have had this knee injury if he was DH for us instead of running around in center. Go CYoung, BMac, Rogo!

Yeah people don't get injured at designated hitter.

:hurt

People get injured in baseball no matter what position they play, or whether they play one or not.

Randar68
09-22-2005, 03:57 PM
People get injured in baseball no matter what position they play, or whether they play one or not.

The knee or hamstring injuries are not the reason he is out for the year, people...

Heck, the foot injury isn't the reason either... it's because the Reds STINK!

harwar
09-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Not to metion the fact that he didn't get hurt while playing CF.
He came up limping while rounding 2nd base.

denev1
09-22-2005, 05:14 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8878362

Lip Man 1
09-22-2005, 05:17 PM
If the story is in regards to his injury remember that circumstances don't play out exactly the same if he is in Chicago. He may not have gotten hurt at all.

As for me I'd have loved to have had him in the lineup for even just twenty games.

Lip

Hangar18
09-22-2005, 05:17 PM
SERVES THE REDS RIGHT ..........karma is funny isnt it?

kitekrazy
09-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Still believe that strawman trade was possible?

denev1
09-22-2005, 05:27 PM
If the story is in regards to his injury remember that circumstances don't play out exactly the same if he is in Chicago. He may not have gotten hurt at all.

As for me I'd have loved to have had him in the lineup for even just twenty games.

Lip

Lip
The guy is a injury waiting to happen. You are right in that it may or may not have happened if we picked him up. But could you imagine, as close as this race is, losing someone like Griffey at a time like this. How much of a downer would that have been?

Hanger
"They should spell karma with a KO"

soxwon
09-22-2005, 07:55 PM
yesterday at the game i saw a sox jersey with GRIFFEY's name on it.

it was very cool

Joosh
09-22-2005, 09:20 PM

I think what he meant to say was, "Ironic."

This is disappointed, as I really appreciate Griffey's talent and what he brings to the game. I hope he can get himself better again.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2005, 01:50 AM
Denev:

About as bad as losing Frank Thomas, Dustin Hermanson and Scott Posednik who has admitted he has lost confidence since he returned.

Griffey for ten or twenty games might have kept the 9 1/2 lead for blowing apart.

Lip

denev1
09-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Denev:

About as bad as losing Frank Thomas, Dustin Hermanson and Scott Posednik who has admitted he has lost confidence since he returned.

Griffey for ten or twenty games might have kept the 9 1/2 lead for blowing apart.

Lip

Might have yes, but you don't get to keep that lead in the playoffs...

Lip Man 1
09-23-2005, 11:43 AM
But you actually GET there right?

Lip

SoxFan76
09-23-2005, 11:56 AM

I understood you right away. But some people take things way too literally around here.

Sorry, I had to say it, that just bugs me.

Randar68
09-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Might have yes, but you don't get to keep that lead in the playoffs...

Can we please get a Jim Mora tag in here? Sheeesh. we're in the middle of the biggest collapse in MLB history and have to play the Twins and Detroit while a blistering Cleveland team plays KC and Tampa before finishing up with a 3-game series with eachother that will likely decide this thing in the end...

Good god... I'm just hoping and praying we make it. Lip's point is entirely valid.

Had they actually acquired Griffey on July 31st, we wouldn't be sweating even MAKING the playoffs.

And again, this is all ignoring the fact that neither of the procedures he's undergoing are due to the minor tweak of his foot that landed him on the DL. They are preventative procedures based on previous injuries. Again, if we HAD traded for him, he'd have been playing this week, folks...

TheOldRoman
09-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Can we please get a Jim Mora tag in here? Sheeesh. we're in the middle of the biggest collapse in MLB history and have to play the Twins and Detroit while a blistering Cleveland team plays KC and Tampa before finishing up with a 3-game series with eachother that will likely decide this thing in the end...

Good god... I'm just hoping and praying we make it. Lip's point is entirely valid.

Had they actually acquired Griffey on July 31st, we wouldn't be sweating even MAKING the playoffs.

And again, this is all ignoring the fact that neither of the procedures he's undergoing are due to the minor tweak of his foot that landed him on the DL. They are preventative procedures based on previous injuries. Again, if we HAD traded for him, he'd have been playing this week, folks...
For the 1,000,000,000,000,000th time, TAMPA IS NOT A PATSIE! They are much much better than Detroit now, and they are one of the better teams in baseball during the second half. On top of that, they have slayed the mighty Indians 4 of 6 during the last few months. We have the advantage in the next series. Detriot blew to begin with, and now they have completely given up.