PDA

View Full Version : My health doesn't feel good.

veeter
09-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Is anybody else wearing down physically from this season? Obviously, sleep deprivation has taken over. That has lead to irritability, headaches and even bloodshot, sore eyeballs. And I may be developing an ulcer. Seriously, my gut hurts the whole time the game is going on. Most of my free time is spent going over scenarios of wins and losses, and how we'll find our way in. I'm a walking zombie at this point.

Madvora
09-22-2005, 10:13 AM
It puts strain on my heart and it just physically wipes me out. This is nothing new though because this is the 5th year in a row this has happened. The only difference is that it's happening later this year.

Baby Fisk
09-22-2005, 10:14 AM
I've been drinking more than I should. :(:

Jerko
09-22-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm always crabby and I drink anyway, so it's a normal season for Jerko.

Cat Thief
09-22-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm always crabby and I drink anyway, so it's a normal season for Jerko.

LOL. I'm with ya.

DaveIsHere
09-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Drinking too much is definitely a side affect this year.

riskier77
09-22-2005, 10:36 AM
I am drinking way too much too and finding it hard to sleep. I woke up at 3:30 this morning and never went back to sleep. It's tough being a White Sox fan right now.

starboy0
09-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Is is hard being a Sox fan right now. Not sleeping well; high-low-high-low moods. Got so spoiled the 1st half and it has not been fun the 2nd half. BUT in March I would have taken a 2.5 game lead with 11 games to go.

whitesoxwilkes
09-22-2005, 10:44 AM
4 hours sleep the past 3 nights in a row from being at/watching the games, plus enough alcohol consumed to sterilize an operating room. I'm going again tonight, so I'll have one more day of bleary-eyedness.

harwar
09-22-2005, 10:49 AM
My health isn't good anyway so its nothing new for me.
I just look forward to the next game with great anticipation.
We are in the "refuse to lose" mode around here and last nights loss is behind us.
Things could look much brighter starting tonight if the White Sox can try and take a lot of pitches and foul off as many as possible,
If santana is on his game,wait em out and get to the not so great anymore, twins bullpen.

rdwj
09-22-2005, 10:57 AM
The last few weeks were REALLY starting to get to me and my - sleep, attitude, everything! I've been trying to talk myself down by reminding myself that there are many more important things in my life.

...That helps a little. Drinking makes it MUCH worse - I don't know why I keep trying that.

I don't listen to him often, but Steve Dahl had a nice perspective. He said what happens is going to happen, so there is no reason to let it bother you. And no matter what - in 20 years you're going to have a nice story to tell the next generation.

Brian26
09-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Is anybody else wearing down physically from this season? Obviously, sleep deprivation has taken over. That has lead to irritability, headaches and even bloodshot, sore eyeballs. And I may be developing an ulcer. Seriously, my gut hurts the whole time the game is going on. Most of my free time is spent going over scenarios of wins and losses, and how we'll find our way in. I'm a walking zombie at this point.

I'm drained too. I'm right with you on this, bro, no matter what anyone else says. I'm irritable, tired, pissed, moody...I'm usually like that anyway, but not it's even increased :D: And my stomach has hurt for a week...the worst was Monday night. Tuesday night helped ease the pain, but now it's back.

PatK
09-22-2005, 11:11 AM
I've been drinking more and eating worse.

I'm also getting so wound up and nervous during games that I'm making myself ill. After listening to games, I've got blinding headaches. I've been constipated, and I think it's from the stress and the crappy food I've been eating (can't be cooking when the game is on, so it junk food time)

I just found out I got high blood pressure, and that's not helping. Tuesday night, I thought my chest was going to explode.

veeter
09-22-2005, 11:17 AM
I've been drinking more and eating worse.

I'm also getting so wound up and nervous during games that I'm making myself ill. After listening to games, I've got blinding headaches. I've been constipated, and I think it's from the stress and the crappy food I've been eating (can't be cooking when the game is on, so it junk food time)
I just found out I got high blood pressure, and that's not helping. Tuesday night, I thought my chest was going to explode. This one had me laughing outloud, thanks.

DrGiggles
09-22-2005, 11:27 AM
I'll only be getting an ulcer or sickness if the Sox don't make the playoffs and we have to hear it from the Nation that we choked, which is NOT going to happen, so I'm OK, there are better things to do than get sick over this, just relax and enjoy our AL Central Title. Go Sox.

nebraskasox
09-22-2005, 11:40 AM
This one had me laughing outloud, thanks.

I'm not sure these are laughing matters. Passionate Sox fans are going through a rough time, again. It may sound silly, but I had to call in sick the day after the Sox lost to the Orioles in '83. I WAS physically ill at that time: nausea, upset stomach, headache. I know it's just a baseball game but, please, please (I'm not sure who this is directed to) couldn't the Sox, just once, make it easy on their fans and spare us the suffering?

We all know the answer to that. It's not gonna happen. As I told my son yesterday, I'm a Sox fan ... if I'm disappointed again, it won't be anything new.

I read somewhere on this board an expression that said it well: "White Sox baseball ... hope for the best but expect the worst."

Having said that, I'm hopeful this process will end with a playoff berth. (Probably not until we're all reduced to nervous wrecks.) Anything can happen then.

credefan24
09-22-2005, 11:49 AM
I went to the last 2 games of the Cleveland series, and after these past three days, I just need a rest. It's too much. Baseball is supposed to be fun. I love the SOX and always will, but I can't go through much more of this. On the train ride home, I did alot of thinking. It's great to root for these guys, but I have to remind myself to not get too caught up in it (which is obviously ALOT harder than it sounds).

Whatever happens, happens. None of us have any control of this team, but we can definately give them our suppost.
Never, ever, ever, ever give up. That's what I've learned this season. And that Cub fans are evil, malicous, mean spirited, angry people.

harwar
09-22-2005, 11:51 AM
One thing that does make me feel sick is Ozzie telling the media that he wants to quit and that he can't take the pressure.
What the **** is that?
There is no crying in baseball,and there is .. NO QUITTING!!!

Baby Fisk
09-22-2005, 11:52 AM
One thing that does make me feel sick is Ozzie telling the media that he wants to quit and that he can't take the pressure.
What the **** is that?
There is no crying in baseball,and there is .. NO QUITTING!!!
When the hell did he say that? :o:

harwar
09-22-2005, 11:53 AM
When the hell did he say that? :o:

Just heard it on the radio.
I can't believe it either.
Maybe he was misquoted.

Heffalump
09-22-2005, 11:54 AM
My wife has been going upstairs lately when the Sox game is on because she can't deal with my yelling, collapsing on the floor, etc. I have also had trouble sleeping after tough losses becuase I get sooo frustrated with the team

I will also say that the bumblings of Comcast last nite probably saved me a few hours of pain and a few curse words.

It is mindboggling to me that a simple game that has no real impact on my life affects my day-to-day emotions and state of mind so much. But I won't get into that, as I have gotten in trouble in the past with my thoughts on that subject :o:

tlebar318
09-22-2005, 11:57 AM
lots and lots of beer has numbed the pain somewhat but then when I wake up and read the paper it all comes back to me:D: The Sox need to start kicking ace again today so that all of us can return to some sense of normalcy....then the pressure cooker starts all over again when the playoffs start! Go Sox!

tlebar318
09-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Just heard it on the radio.
I can't believe it either.
Maybe he was misquoted.

wow, if he really did say that....very poor timing on his part if it is true..:?:

voodoochile
09-22-2005, 12:08 PM
I feel fine. I am not worried. I get wound up during games and find I actually enjoy the intensity it takes to focus through 9 full innings.

Too many people take this stuff WAY too seriously. It's sports. It's fun. The closeness only makes it more fun.

Nothing great ever comes easy.

White Sox and their fans - on their way to greatness 2005...:D:

MarySwiss
09-22-2005, 12:16 PM
I have been a nervous wreck for the past week or so. Drinking more, eating less, having a hell of a time trying to get some sleep at night.

Good thing I'm self-employed. At least my boss won't fire me. :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
09-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Voodoo:

You are an amazing individul. I've been sick for two weeks now and it's probably going to get worse the last ten days.

And yes I read the story, Ozzie is not quoted incorrectly.

Lip

PatK
09-22-2005, 12:35 PM
This one had me laughing outloud, thanks.

You're welcome.

mike squires
09-22-2005, 12:39 PM
I already have slightly high blood pressure that I take medication for and I have been anxious during the games. My wife says in the grand scheme of things this doesn't mean anything and that it's just a game. She is right but I tell her that for as much time, money and effort I put into this team...I have the right to get excited. I seriously try and take care of myself and I think that helps. During a couple of those close games I'd go and take a jog around the block or go get a good workout at the gym. I think it helps. It hasn't gotten to the point where I get headaches or drink but that time may be coming....

Brian26
09-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Too many people take this stuff WAY too seriously.

Come on, Voodoo. Show some passion!!!!!!

eriqjaffe
09-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Lately, I find myself trying like hell to avoid watching, listening, or even checking the score on my phone...I find that I can actually get to sleep at night if I have no idea what happened. I can check the score first thing in the morning and then deal with the anxiety when I'm going to be awake anyway. Once I get into work, I can come here and read threads like this, and I don't feel quite so alone...

Of course, it's next to impossible to not let myself at least check the score...curse you, wireless web, for being such an enabler!

Then again, I was hitting the panic button whenever the lead dropped below 9 games...I feel like I must be the chicken in that "sky is falling" smilie.

tacosalbarojas
09-22-2005, 12:56 PM
I already have slightly high blood pressure that I take medication for and I have been anxious during the games. My wife says in the grand scheme of things this doesn't mean anything and that it's just a game. She is right but I tell her that for as much time, money and effort I put into this team...I have the right to get excited. I seriously try and take care of myself and I think that helps. During a couple of those close games I'd go and take a jog around the block or go get a good workout at the gym. I think it helps. It hasn't gotten to the point where I get headaches or drink but that time may be coming....Take out the frustration on that elliptical, mikesquires...truly the best way to go.

voodoochile
09-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Come on, Voodoo. Show some passion!!!!!!

If you saw me during the games, you'd be surprised. I get so wound up during close important games I am actually physically shaking from the adrenaline rush, but after it is over, I am exhausted and I am not going to carry it around with me for days at a time. Actually, that's not true. I carry around the joy I feel after a big win, but I forget the losses almost as soon as they are over.

Am I jumping up and down that the lead has dwindled to 2.5 games? Of course not, but as much as I enjoy sports, I don't throw things or hit things or cry myself to sleep over them.

Greatness can be seen in the efforts the people put forth upon the field. That is the human part of the game. Some of my coolest memories are from people doing what seemed to be impossible on the playing field, bowing their necks, hunkering down, cinching it up and finally breaking through in triumph. If this team folds, it didn't have that necessary element and nothing I can do will change that. If I was at the games in Chicago, I'd be as loud as anyone. I ain't afraid to let it out, but when the game is over I put it down and go on with my life. In the end there are LOTS of more important things than baseball.

All of this "Oh gawd what will I do if they lose?" stuff smells like crying over something that isn't lost just because it hurts a little now. There never has been crying allowed in any sport, least of all baseball.

The team needs to find some fire and go get the division title. All we can do is watch and applaud, but then again, I never have been a worrier. I truly believe things are going to work out just fine...

and of course...

GO SOX!

Frater Perdurabo
09-22-2005, 01:53 PM
... I truly believe things are going to work out just fine...

and of course...

GO SOX!

Voodoo's been too busy banning the really obnoxious, pants-pooping dark clouds and the general trolls around here to get too frustrated, and we thank him and the rest of the mods for it!

Realist
09-22-2005, 01:58 PM
The more stressed I get, the less I self-medicate. Lately my drinking has been damn near come to a complete halt.

I'm having big-time mood swings. :D: :?: :(:

It feels like there's fish constantly swimming in my stomach. :?:

When this is all over, no matter what happens, there's going to be a certain element of relief.

TaylorStSox
09-22-2005, 02:39 PM
You guys have to be ****ing kidding me. What a ridiculous thread. It's baseball. Get a grip.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Taylor:

It's not your call on what drives or is important to people. You may not like it, you may think it's stupid, but it's not your decision.

Since it doesn't apparently concern or effect you I don't understand why you even bothered to comment.

For me as stated previously I have three prioroties in my life in order...my wife, my son, the White Sox. Period. Everything else goes below those in the pecking order.

Stupid? Probably....but it's my business, not yours.

Lip

TaylorStSox
09-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Taylor:

It's not your call on what drives or is important to people. You may not like it, you may think it's stupid, but it's not your decision.

Since it doesn't apparently concern or effect you I don't understand why you even bothered to comment.

For me as stated previously I have three prioroties in my life in order...my wife, my son, the White Sox. Period. Everything else goes below those in the pecking order.

Lip

I wish that the real problems in my life were trivial enough to make me worry about the Sox that much. I'm a passionate fan of the White Sox, but when you have real problems, it's not hard to put life into perspective.

akingamongstmen
09-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Looks like we all need to have a good cry with Dr. Phil.

Iwritecode
09-22-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm again reminded of "Fever Pitch" where the guy asks where the Sox rank in his life.

Red Sox...breathing...sex...

:)

Brian26
09-22-2005, 04:11 PM

Lip

Agree with you 100%, Lip. BTW, nice mention in the Trib this morning again. :D:

mccombe_35
09-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Good thread. Glad to see I'm not alone. These past few weeks I've been moody, irritable, & generally feeling like crap (after losses of course). It's affecting my work & social life.

And like many of you I'm drinking more than usual, & after last nights game I even had my 1st cigarette in 5+ years........ a game I was forced to listen too all 9 innings on a staticky clock radio because of the comcast disaster.....

But wow the wins feel good.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Is is hard being a Sox fan right now. Not sleeping well; high-low-high-low moods. Got so spoiled the 1st half and it has not been fun the 2nd half. BUT in March I would have taken a 2.5 game lead with 11 games to go.

BINGO. Exactly my thoughts right now. If someone told me in April we'd have 2/5 up with 11 to go, I would have thanked them for the news. We got 11 to go...they all count. THIS is one of the best seasons I've ever seen.