PDA

View Full Version : For those concerned about making the PostSeason

gosox83
09-22-2005, 09:00 AM
OK,

With Boston losing last night the Sox are in great shape to make the Postseason, and here is why.

Don't get me wrong they could still win this division, they are in first place.

The magic number to "make the playoffs" is 8.

The Sox play Minn. for 4 and then Detroit for 4. Lets say they don't do that great and end up splitting both series.

That would take 4 off the magic number reducing it to 4.

HERE IS THE KEY! BOSTON AND NY PLAY EACH OTHER THE LAST 3 GAMES!

That means that one of them has to lose two games, which further reduces the magic number by 2.

We are now looking at a magic number of 2, just by the Sox splitting both 4 game sets.

Now in the games that NY and Bos don't play each other they would both have to go 7 - 1 to keep us out.

The Sox will be in the post season.

What will they do in it????? Stay tuned

GO SOX!!! THIS IS OUR YEAR!! :supernana:

cleanwsox
09-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Well, with Boston having one more loss than the Yankees right now, its possible for NY to lose twice and the BoSox once to only decrease the magic number to make the playoffs by 1.

Anyway, we are in the playoffs, we just need to get hot to actually do something in them.

wdelaney72
09-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Great, we'll make the playoffs. Once problem. Clubs that play .500 ball in October go home very early.

Hangar18
09-22-2005, 09:07 AM
:smile: Im crossing my fingers

downstairs
09-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Yep.... that's why I'm no longer worried. All I wanted all along is the playoffs. I know I've gotten some crap earlier in the season for even being worried about it...

Some more numbers....

If we go a pathetic 4-7 the rest of the way, the following teams ALL would all have to do the following to tie us. If ONE of these teams doesn't do the following, we get a spot:

Cleveland: 6-4
New York: 7-4
Boston: 7-3

Oh, and either NY or Boston WILL lose 2 more games, guarunteed. Think about that. So that team would HAVE to go 7-2 or 7-1 respectively.

If the Sox were to "collapse", we'd also have to see 3 teams play so monumentally well that it, alone, outside of a Sox collapse, would make history.

Also, if we go 4-7, we still clinch over Oakland... so the "4 teams, 3 spots" scenario is still the case.

Now... go ahead and run these numbers with a 5-6, 6-5, 7-4 record over our last 11....

downstairs
09-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Great, we'll make the playoffs. Once problem. Clubs that play .500 ball in October go home very early.

You can't technically play .500 ball. You can play one-game-over-.500 ball in each series and win, though.

I see a lot of 3-2's, 4-3's in the recent history of the playoffs. That's .500 ball, there.

Madvora
09-22-2005, 09:15 AM
It would be nice to have a team that makes it to the playoffs by winning a lot at the end of the season rather than winning 1 out of every 3 games.

Baby Fisk
09-22-2005, 09:16 AM
It would be nice to have a team that makes it to the playoffs by winning a lot at the end of the season rather than winning 1 out of every 3 games.
...and having to force their fans to calculate elimination scenarios for other teams. I don't want to go to the post-season because some other team failed more than we did. But still, thanks for the calculations gosox83. :cool:

Hangar18
09-22-2005, 09:18 AM

Wait a second .......... your right. Clubs playing in October also are HITTING
Are any of the possible playoff teams hitting .250 like us?

Great Pitching and Great Hitting beats OK Pitching and Bad Hitting

Flight #24
09-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Wait a second .......... your right. Clubs playing in October also are HITTING
Are any of the possible playoff teams hitting .250 like us?

Great Pitching and Great Hitting beats OK Pitching and Bad Hitting

Stats for the month of September for AL playoff contenders:

Batting Average:
Yankees: .287
White Sox: .281
Angels: .277
Indians: .275
Red Cubs/Chokeland: .260

OBP:
Yankees: .359
Cleveland: .352
White Sox: .342
Red Cubs: .331
Angels: .327
Chokeland: .318

OPS:
Cleveland: .874
Yankees: .811
White Sox: .807
Boston: .758
Angels: .746

For a "results"-driven take, in this month, the Indians have scored a total of 5 more runs than the Sox. Say it with me "Offense is NOT our problem during this 'skid'"........

Pitching Contreras & Garland and relieving with Politte, Cotts, Jenks will resolve the pitching problems, assuming that Buehrle & Garcia don't get their mojo back.

Palehose13
09-22-2005, 09:32 AM

Really? 2-2 or 3-3 gets you to the last game of the series. :wink:

D. TODD
09-22-2005, 09:34 AM
Great, we'll make the playoffs. Once problem. Clubs that play .500 ball in October go home very early. The Yanks went 3-15 in their last 18 games in 2000. Then promptly went on th win the world series. The 3-15 stretch included a 22-0 loss to the Indians! I forget what show mentioned this, but it surprised me because I didn't remember the Yanks stumbling into the playoffs that badly. I do vaguely remember the 22-0 loss, and the medias response. I hope i have the year right I think they said it was 2000.

Baby Fisk
09-22-2005, 09:38 AM
I do vaguely remember the 22-0 loss, and the medias response. I hope i have the year right I think they said it was 2000.
Wasn't that last year? :?:

kaufsox
09-22-2005, 09:45 AM
All of these scenarios are great, but other numbers don't bode well. The records listed for Cleve. Bos. And NY aren't impossible, and over the last 10/11 games, I think cleveland is going to do better than 6-4 and I hate to say it, but the Sox are more than capable of of losing 8 or 9 of their last eleven games. I would assume they could get at least 4 wins, god even 5, but this last month hasn't shown much to have faith in. :(:

Hangar18
09-22-2005, 09:53 AM
The Yanks went 3-15 in their last 18 games in 2000. Then promptly went on th win the world series. The 3-15 stretch included a 22-0 loss to the Indians! I forget what show mentioned this, but it surprised me because I didn't remember the Yanks stumbling into the playoffs that badly. I do vaguely remember the 22-0 loss, and the medias response. I hope i have the year right I think they said it was 2000.

2000 doesnt count. Of the other 3 AL teams, the SOX promptly laid down to the Mariners, leaving an easy path to the WS, in which they played a bogus METS team. Thats what hurts about that year, we had NY's number and wouldve beaten them had we decided to hit.

D. TODD
09-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Wasn't that last year? :?: You are correct the 22-0 game was not from 2000, but the 3-15 finish is correct. Then went on to beat the Mets to be world champs.

Iguana775
09-22-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm not worried so much about making the playoffs than I am about making a very quick exit like the last time they were there.

oeo
09-22-2005, 10:01 AM

Why? Whether or not they do get hot or they do win 1 out of every 3 games, they still deserve to go. You don't split the season into halves and say, well the Indians were hot at the end, so they get to go, but the Sox, they were good and then went downhill.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but they deserve to go no matter what...although I do also want them to start winning so they're not out of it in the first round.

D. TODD
09-22-2005, 10:18 AM
2000 doesnt count. Of the other 3 AL teams, the SOX promptly laid down to the Mariners, leaving an easy path to the WS, in which they played a bogus METS team. It's hard to say a world championship doesn't count. I'm not happy about the Sox struggles of late, but it is not a guaranteed death sentence once the playoffs roll around.

SoxSpeed22
09-22-2005, 10:35 AM
2000 doesnt count. Of the other 3 AL teams, the SOX promptly laid down to the Mariners, leaving an easy path to the WS, in which they played a bogus METS team. Thats what hurts about that year, we had NY's number and wouldve beaten them had we decided to hit.I don't think so, we were definitely too hurt to even play in a game 5 with Seattle. The arms of Parque and Sirotka would've had to be amputated by the time the ALCS was played.

bigdommer
09-22-2005, 10:36 AM

If we play one game above .500 in the playoffs, I bet we will win.

Hitmen77
09-22-2005, 10:39 AM
at least (and I mean it when I say least) making the playoffs as a wildcard will spare the Sox the infamy of the '64 Phillies and '69 Cubs.

TDog
09-22-2005, 10:46 AM
I don't think so, we were definitely too hurt to even play in a game 5 with Seattle. The arms of Parque and Sirotka would've had to be amputated by the time the ALCS was played.

Sirotka seemed to be the only pitcher without arm problems going into the ALDS, and then I heard on the radio that Sirotka may have some arm problems. Still, the pitchers gutted it out, leaving the vaunted hitters as the goats. The Sox had great opportunities to win Game 1, and Baldwin pitched the game of his life in the finale, much as Burns pitched the game of his life on the day the 1983 dream ended for the Sox.

As for the subject of this thread, the Sox indeed are in great shape IF THEY WIN SOME GAMES.

WhiteSox12482
09-22-2005, 11:05 AM
OK,

With Boston losing last night the Sox are in great shape to make the Postseason, and here is why.

Don't get me wrong they could still win this division, they are in first place.

The magic number to "make the playoffs" is 8.

The Sox play Minn. for 4 and then Detroit for 4. Lets say they don't do that great and end up splitting both series.

That would take 4 off the magic number reducing it to 4.

HERE IS THE KEY! BOSTON AND NY PLAY EACH OTHER THE LAST 3 GAMES!

That means that one of them has to lose two games, which further reduces the magic number by 2.

We are now looking at a magic number of 2, just by the Sox splitting both 4 game sets.

Now in the games that NY and Bos don't play each other they would both have to go 7 - 1 to keep us out.

The Sox will be in the post season.

What will they do in it????? Stay tuned

GO SOX!!! THIS IS OUR YEAR!! :supernana:

The thing is that shouldn't have to resort to other teams helping us. There 11 games left in the season. I think White Sox have the easier go of it then Cleveland. Minnesota has shut it down for they year, Detroit has shut it down for the year, while Kansas City and Tampa Bay have given fits to the White Sox, Yankees, and Red Sox. Any one who thinks Cleveland is going undefeated the rest of the way is nuts. I will say this has been will always will be our year. I can't remember when we had a solid pitching rotation. Maybe the 93 club that lost to Toronto 4-2 ALCS. I wasn't impressed with Clevelands pitching staff. It was more our own hitters helping them out. I would have to think the White Sox have to wake up here. They have in it thier hands. I think if they win 5 to 6 more games they should be fine. Remember, once in playoffs everyone is 0-0. I think the White Sox will be relieved once they actually clinch something. I think right now all this 15 game lead stuff is wearing on them. The only thing I can say to everyone freaking out, relax, and remember like all sports, there will only be 1 winner.

SoxSpeed22
09-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Sirotka seemed to be the only pitcher without arm problems going into the ALDS, and then I heard on the radio that Sirotka may have some arm problems. Still, the pitchers gutted it out, leaving the vaunted hitters as the goats. The Sox had great opportunities to win Game 1, and Baldwin pitched the game of his life in the finale, much as Burns pitched the game of his life on the day the 1983 dream ended for the Sox.

As for the subject of this thread, the Sox indeed are in great shape IF THEY WIN SOME GAMES.Agreed, any time you make Brett Tomko, Paul Abbott and Aaron Sele look like Cy Young candidates, go home. Everybody gets on the 2001 Mariners as a choke team, but their pitching staff was no match compared to the Yankees pitching. Once our pitchers stop getting into 2-0, 3-1, 3-0 counts, we should be fine.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Sirotka hurt his arm in his final start of the regular season versus Boston. After the playoffs for some reason the Sox let him go to Japan to pitch in the All Star games they had there (U.S. vs. Japan) where he hurt it again pitching in a game. It ended his career.

Lip

IowaSox1971
09-22-2005, 05:32 PM
I do agree that the odds of us making the playoffs are good. However, it would not surprise me at all if Boston and New York both went 7-1 in the games in which they don't play each other. Also, it's no sure thing that we go 4-4 against Minnesota and Detroit. Remember, Minnesota swept us the last time we faced them in Chicago and Magglio might be looking to exact some revenge on Ozzie. And after seeing the Sox play Cleveland, it appears that the Indians want the division title more than we do. So, I don't expect the Tribe to let down against Kansas City or Tampa Bay. Unless we start playing decent baseball every night, instead of every other night or every third night, there's still a chance we could blow this thing.

starboy0
09-22-2005, 05:56 PM

Good one!

Cowhead418
09-22-2005, 06:03 PM
5-3 over the next eight games pretty much guarantees a playoff spot. Say what you want about the Sox play of late but Minnesota and Detroit are nothing to get scared about. The Sox have a great chance to go 6-2 as well which would pretty much guarantee the division. I predict the Sox go 5-3 the next 8 games, Cleveland goes 5-2 in their next 7 games, they beat us 2 out of 3 in the Jake and we win the division by one game.:cool:

TomBradley72
09-22-2005, 06:09 PM
I like our chances if we get to the post season. I actually think there will be less pressure on the players and Ozzie than there is right now...they will play looser/better.

All we have to do is go 7-5 against the Angels/Red Sox/Indians/Yankees...and we're in the World Series. Very doable.

fusillirob1983
09-22-2005, 07:00 PM

This is true if you're talking about one series, but you can win the first round
3-0 and lose the ALCS 4-2. Then you're 5-4 in the playoffs but going home early.

You can't play one game above .500 to win the World Series either. Since you have to win every playoff round with one more win than losses minimum, at worst you would be 3 games above .500 to win the World Series.

Sorry, this isn't very relevant to the main point of the thread, I just wanted to point this out.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2005, 12:47 AM
GoSox 83:

With respect why waste your time thinking up different scanerios? It all comes down to this, start winning games or go home. Period. End of disussion.

Lip