PDA

View Full Version : The road ahead - pitching matchups

A. Cavatica
09-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Here are my matchup projections for all the games that matter. Bear in mind that injuries, rainouts, & off days can change these.

9/24 EDIT: Two more days off the schedule. Revised Yankee rotation again (Small pitched in long relief today), which is good because I didn't know if I should put them down as Small Wang or Small Johnson.

Sun 9/25:
Twins @ Sox - Liriano vs Buehrle
Jndians @ Royals - Westbrook vs Greinke
Jays @ Wanks - Towers vs Wang
Bosox @ Os - Wells vs Maine

Mon 9/26:
Sox @ Det - Garland vs Robertson
Jndians - IDLE
Wanks @ Os - R Johnson vs Lopez
Jays @ Bosox - Bush vs Schilling

Tue 9/27:
Sox @ Det - McCarthy vs J. Johnson
TB @ Jndians - Kazmir vs Elarton
Wanks @ Os - Mussina vs Chen
Jays @ Bosox - Chacin vs Wakefield

Wed 9/28:
Sox @ Det - Contreras vs Douglass
TB @ Jndians - Fossum vs Lee
Wanks @ Os - Chacon vs Cabrera
Jays @ Bosox - Lilly vs Arroyo

Thu 9/29:
Sox @ Det - Garcia vs Grilli
TB @ Jndians - Waechter vs Sabathia
Wanks @ Os - Wright/Small vs Bedard
Jays @ Bosox - Downs vs Clement

Fri 9/30:
Sox @ Jndians - Buehrle vs Millwood
Wanks @ Bosox - Wang vs Wells

Sat 10/1:
Sox @ Jndians - Garland vs Westbrook
Wanks @ Bosox - R Johnson vs Schilling

Sun 10/2:
Sox @ Jndians - McCarthy/Hernandez vs Elarton
Wanks @ Bosox - Mussina vs Wakefield

BeviBall!
09-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Radke is done for the season. We face Mays on Saturday.

Mr. White Sox
09-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Bonderman also is done for the season.

A. Cavatica
09-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Right you are about Radke and Bonderman. That's good news for us.

billyvsox
09-22-2005, 12:28 AM
Saturday night October 1st

R Johnson vs Schilling (for the East title maybe?)...Unbelieveable.

As I live in Phoenix, local Diamondback fans realize these two absolutely HATE each other (as do the wives). Should be interesting.

chaerulez
09-22-2005, 01:14 AM
Saturday night October 1st

R Johnson vs Schilling (for the East title maybe?)...Unbelieveable.

As I live in Phoenix, local Diamondback fans realize these two absolutely HATE each other (as do the wives). Should be interesting.

That's no secret, also Schilling is garbage now and Johnson isn't the same either although ESPN would have you believe he's the best pitcher in the AL now just because he was able to win a few starts in a row.

OzzieBall2004
09-22-2005, 01:21 AM
No game is bigger than Monday (with the clear exception of the CLE series to end the year).

We finally find out if we turn that .5 into a 1 or a 0.

THATS HUGE.

enurb
09-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Random thoughts:

We miss Lee and Sabathia in Cleveland -- good or bad? Probably good, although maybe our righties would fare better against those guys.

The Tribe will not lose a single game to the Royals. Book it.

Friday and Saturday should be wins for Sox. Liriano on Sunday will be a problem because he's tough and we haven't seen him before. We could be looking at a 2-2 weekend, leaving us 1/2 game ahead going into Monday's game when Cleveland is idle. We'll win on Monday, putting us 1 game up with 6 to play.

Kazmir and Fossum to face the Tribe -- I like it a lot. That could be two losses for the Tribe right there. I see the Tribe (right or wrong) as a murderous lineup on righties. Not so much with respect to lefties -- Buehrle might disagree. Both Kazmir and Fossum can bring it. I look for the Tribe to lose those two games right there. Plus, they will seriously be "thinking about it" by that point and may be ripe for a choke.

Heffalump
09-22-2005, 10:58 AM
If it comes down to that final game of the year vs. Cleveland for the division, does Ozzie still let McCarthy start it? OR does he come back with somebody else on short rest?

Tough call either way. Hopefully it does not come down to that.

SoxSpeed22
09-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Kazmir and Fossum to face the Tribe -- I like it a lot. That could be two losses for the Tribe right there. I see the Tribe (right or wrong) as a murderous lineup on righties. Not so much with respect to lefties -- Buehrle might disagree. Both Kazmir and Fossum can bring it. I look for the Tribe to lose those two games right there. Plus, they will seriously be "thinking about it" by that point and may be ripe for a choke.We may a "Deep Pink" Police. If anything, Cleveland may have peaked a little early, like Minny in 2003. Be real, in our next 8, if we go 6-2, they'd have to go 7-0 to stay behind by 1. At this point, I'd consider any Cleveland loss a bonus.

Crede_Fan
09-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Do you think if it comes down to the last game 10/2, that Jose may get moved up to start?

A. Cavatica
09-23-2005, 07:51 PM
I updated the schedule to remove the Angels & A's games. One of them will win the West, the other will not win the wild card, so their games no longer matter.

I also updated the Yankee and Tiger rotations. The Yankees seem to be going with a 6-man for the moment; they could drop someone out, or they could stick with it to get RJ and Mussina ready for Games 1 and 2 of the playoffs. The Tiger rotation is a mess -- [licking chops] Jason Grilli now appears to be the one who will replace Bonderman [/licking chops]

IowaSox1971
09-24-2005, 03:02 AM
If we end up having a wild card spot wrapped up by the time the last game of the regular season rolls around, there would be no need to pitch someone on short rest against Cleveland. I would almost treat it as an exhibition game. If it is a must win to make the playoffs, then I would start McCarthy. Bringing back guys on short rest doesn't work too often.

A. Cavatica
09-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Updated the projections again. There are only 25 games that matter left -- we could actually have a contest at handicapping them, if anyone's interested.

longshot7
09-24-2005, 10:21 PM
Six more. That's all we need to win. Tomorrow & Monday (gain a half game on Tribe) - that gives us a two game lead. If we keep pace with Cleveland (both Sox and them should lose one game in Det & TB series - although I'm hoping the scrappy Rays can take 1 more) - we'll go into Cleveland with that 2-game lead, meaning all we have to do in Cle is win 1 and we'll clinch the division. 98 wins will win this division.

Regardless of division or wc, the postseason rotation is shaping up. Right now if we clinch the last day of the season, it will be Contreras, Garcia, Buehrle, Garland, and Jose again if there's a game 5. IF we clinch early, and win either the Buehrle start or Garland start, then we can hold Jon or Brandon (don't know if that's likely) and start them earlier in the postseason rotation - do Contreras, Garland, Garcia, and Buehrle or McCarthy instead.

A. Cavatica
09-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Ozzie has said he doesn't want Garcia to pitch at home in the playoffs. It may be tough to line up that rotation if we don't know whether we'll be home or away. ;-)

ilsox7
09-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Ozzie has said he doesn't want Garcia to pitch at home in the playoffs. It may be tough to line up that rotation if we don't know whether we'll be home or away. ;-)

You don't set up a rotation when you are still a few days, at least, away from clinching a spot. And who knows, FG may not even see a start in the ALDS.

DaleJRFan
09-24-2005, 11:37 PM
Sox @ Det - Garcia vs Grilli YES!

Banix12
09-24-2005, 11:55 PM
Just an update on our old pal Grilli...

Today he pitched against Seattle. Line 7 IP / 2 H / 1 ER / 4 BB / 4 K Bringing his ERA since callup to 2.00.

Now this is all meaningless since it's Jason Grilli, we know he has talent but tends to get wild.

After the game tonight Grilli says...

"You always love pitching against your old team, and now I can try to play spoiler against the White Sox," he said. "That would be a great way to finish the year."

Maybe we'll get to see an all Ex-White Sox pitching staff that night. Grilli to Ginter to Vic Darensbourg, and after that hopefully about eight other pitchers from their bullpen.

dugwood31
09-24-2005, 11:57 PM
I looked at Cleveland's head to head stats against the 4 starters they face before our Sox arrive. It's not pretty. They're hitting .303 against Greinke with an .861 OPS. Fossum: They're hitting .310 against him with a 1.060 OPS. Waechter: .233/.815. They haven't seen Kazmir.

The best news is the small sample size, I guess.

Looks like we'll be watching some important games next weekend.

longshot7
09-25-2005, 04:20 AM
I looked at Cleveland's head to head stats against the 4 starters they face before our Sox arrive. It's not pretty. They're hitting .303 against Greinke with an .861 OPS. Fossum: They're hitting .310 against him with a 1.060 OPS. Waechter: .233/.815. They haven't seen Kazmir.

The best news is the small sample size, I guess.

Looks like we'll be watching some important games next weekend.

And the Rays love this spoiler stuff. I'm counting on them for at least 1 win, if not 2.

harwar
09-25-2005, 07:39 AM
After the game tonight Grilli says...

"You always love pitching against your old team, and now I can try to play spoiler against the White Sox," he said. "That would be a great way to finish the year."

Young pitchers who get too pumped up for a game tend to overthrow and have difficulty with their command.
I say be patient at first to see if he throws strikes.

SoXPriDe33
09-25-2005, 07:51 AM
98 wins will win this division.

And the Central was supposed to be a bad division?