PDA

View Full Version : We MUST win 3 of the next 4...

SpartanSoxFan
09-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Cleveland is playing KC, who they've owned. I expect them to take at least 3 of 4, if not all 4 of those games. Tomorrow night we will likely get shut out again. The next 3 after that are CRUCIAL.

PAPChiSox729
09-21-2005, 11:28 PM
Cleveland is playing KC, who they've owned. I expect them to take at least 3 of 4, if not all 4 of those games. Tomorrow night we will likely get shut out again. The next 3 after that are CRUCIAL.

3 out 4 in Minny, 3 out of 4 in Detroit, 1 out of 3 in Cleveland, then the Magic Number is 1.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-21-2005, 11:28 PM
its time for us to figure out santana. The guy isnt god.

Dub25
09-21-2005, 11:29 PM

I agree, especially since the next 3 Twins pitchers are garbage.

Flight #24
09-21-2005, 11:32 PM

IMO, the key - as always, is pitching. We SHOULD be able to shut out that AAA lineup, it's basically Mauer, LeCroy, Morneau, and the cast of "Major League". I know they battered the A's for 10 runs today, but we should really be expecting to shut them down. And even Santana can't get the win if they don't score....

Foulke You
09-21-2005, 11:33 PM
I posted this in the game thread today, if it makes anyone feel better:

The D-Rays took 2 of 3 from the Red Sox and seem to be relishing in the spoiler role of what could be Lou Pinella's swan song in TB so they shouldn't be a pushover when Cleveland plays them. Also, the Royals seem to play much better at Kauffman (33W-44L) vs their road record of (19W-55L) so the Royals shouldn't be a complete pushover as they were at the Jake. They took 2 of 3 from us at Kaufmann so it isn't inconceivable that they could split the 4 game set vs Cleveland.

PAPChiSox729
09-21-2005, 11:34 PM
... but we should really be expecting to shut them down. And even Santana can't get the win if they don't score....

That brings up bad, bad memories of the Freddy one-hitter. But hey, McCarthy has stepped up before. Now he is pitching in the biggest start of his brief career.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-21-2005, 11:39 PM

:rolleyes:

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!

SUPERLATIVE ALERT! SUPERLATIVE ALERT!

Fake Chet Lemon
09-21-2005, 11:41 PM
That brings up bad, bad memories of the Freddy one-hitter. But hey, McCarthy has stepped up before. Now he is pitching in the biggest start of his brief career.

I hope McCarthy can go deep, but since he hasn't been used regularly I'm not sure how that will affect him innings wise. Glad he is pitching though.

PAPChiSox729
09-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Glad he is pitching though.

Considering the alternative, I am very happy he is too.

:D:

CHISOXFAN13
09-21-2005, 11:47 PM

The Indians are 10-5 against KC. Until last week's sweep, they have hardly "owned" them.

KC is playing decent ball. Maybe the Tribe suffers a letdown.

Stranger things have happened.

forrestg
09-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Hernandez might be better than you expect. In the last game he was coming off of a suspension and said reports said he had a sore back. He gave up 5 runs in the first then went two more innings not giving up anything.. The Royals who I think have a little better bullpen than there record shows didn't allow any runs to cleveland the rest of the game. KC lost 5 zip. Just a maybe.:bandance:

Argalarga
09-21-2005, 11:53 PM
Assuming Santana beats us tomorrow, which is a pretty safe assumption, we'll be up 2 with 10 games to play.

9 times out of 10, the team leading holds on.

But the way the Indians have been playing, I just can't see them losing more than 2 out of the last ten. Meaning we have to go 6-4 to win by one game.

Can we go 6-4 in ten games? If we can't, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Chips
09-22-2005, 12:06 AM

No ****, he has seven losses. SEVEN. Too bad he is 4-0 against us with a one point something low ERA. I would love to just kick his ass tomorrow.

Nellie_Fox
09-22-2005, 12:07 AM
I agree, especially since the next 3 Twins pitchers are garbage.One of those games will feature Francisco Liriano. How do the Sox usually do the first time they see some team's rookie phenom?

Chips
09-22-2005, 12:09 AM
One of those games will feature Francisco Liriano. How do the Sox usually do the first time they see some team's rookie phenom?

NOT GOOD. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

CHISOXFAN13
09-22-2005, 12:12 AM
One of those games will feature Francisco Liriano. How do the Sox usually do the first time they see some team's rookie phenom?

Liriano hasn't been very good so far. He was torched by Oakland yesterday.

sox7235
09-22-2005, 12:19 AM
NOT GOOD. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

Gustavo Chacin????

Nellie_Fox
09-22-2005, 12:19 AM
Liriano hasn't been very good so far. He was torched by Oakland yesterday.That's not what I asked. I asked how the Sox usually do the first time they see a rookie pitcher?

sox7235
09-22-2005, 12:22 AM
That's not what I asked. I asked how the Sox usually do the first time they see a rookie pitcher?

see my above post. The Sox hit Chacin pretty well earlier in the season in Toronto.

SpartanSoxFan
09-22-2005, 12:22 AM
I'm looking at this series as a chance to chase the clouds away. I know PaleHoseGeorge thinks I'm one of them, but with the exception of tomorrow, I think we can realistically win the following 3 games. Jose will be pitching again, and we will miss Radke, which historically has given the Sox fits, especially late in the year.

SoxSpeed22
09-22-2005, 12:23 AM
One of those games will feature Francisco Liriano. How do the Sox usually do the first time they see some team's rookie phenom?Oh I'm so glad we figured that out!
EDIT: I don't wanna waste 900 on this. But you have a point and I'm glad we figured out that the Sox can't hit pitchers they never saw because they're too aggressive, unless it's a fastball pitcher.

forrestg
09-22-2005, 12:27 AM
I'll be at the game tomorrow and believe McCarthy will beat Santana we just seen Santana 5 days ago> I have faith and when it comes to cubs and their fans I like to use the rules of personal oxygen usage. In their honor I plant about 10 trees to supplant the O2 they waste.:bandance:

Nellie_Fox
09-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Oh I'm so glad we figured that out!Your sarcasm is escaping me. What is your point?

I'm not saying Liriano will beat the Sox. I was just responding to the overconfident post saying that after Santana, the Twins pitchers were "garbage." I was just pointing out that the Sox have a bad habit of looking like crap the first time they see a pitcher.

The Sox hit Chacin pretty well earlier in the season in Toronto.Okay, that's one. I was talking about trends, not absolutes.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2005, 12:34 AM
Forest:

I hope you are correct. I mean his ERA versus the Sox his last six starts is 'only' 0.81. Should be a piece of cake.

I hope Kansas City can actually win a game versus Cleveland. Just one game this weekend could have a bigger impact then any of us can now imagine on how this thing turns out. If I'm reading the standings correctly the 'wild card lead,' is also down to 3 1/2

Oh is it just me or has September just crawled slowly along it's way? I've never wanted a month to friggin' end more then this one.

Lip

SpartanSoxFan
09-22-2005, 12:40 AM
Oh is it just me or has September just crawled slowly along it's way? I've never wanted a month to friggin' end more then this one.

Lip

That is what I was saying about August...:(:

soxwon
09-22-2005, 12:44 AM
you make it sound like WE have to win, we are still 2-1/2 in front.

i figure we split with minn thats 7 kc wins 1 from clev thats 6
we take 3 of 4 from det thats 3, tampa wins 1 frpm clev 2
we win in clev its over.

soxwon
09-22-2005, 12:49 AM
look at it this way 2-1/2 game lead.

say we go 6-5.
clev must go 9-1

Lip Man 1
09-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Soxwon:

I don't know if you are directing your comments towards me or not but I'll respond.

Let's just say that I find a hard time believing the Indians are going to collapse against Kansas City and Tampa Bay.

However the Sox have now lost 9 of their last 13. Yes they have to start winning more games then they have been the past two weeks regardless of the fact they are 2 1/2 ahead. If they don't....well...I don't need to spell it out.

Plus you and others are so confident the Sox can at least take a game in Cleveland if they have to the final weekend. Maybe you are right...personally I'd rather not have to find out.

Lip

IowaSox1971
09-22-2005, 01:12 AM
If we don't get our act together, we might be out of first place by the end of this weekend. I think there's a very good chance that Cleveland sweeps Kansas City, and we really did not play well at home against Minnesota last month.

There is no way we should lose 8-0 when we're coming off such a big victory and have one of our aces going against Cleveland's fifth starter.

ShoelessJoeS
09-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Speaking of Santana...

Mr. White Sox
09-22-2005, 01:22 AM
Absolutely Nellie. For every Chacín, there's a Scott Baker or Ervin Santana. Remember those guys?

A. Cavatica
09-22-2005, 01:26 AM
you make it sound like WE have to win, we are still 2-1/2 in front.

i figure we split with minn thats 7 kc wins 1 from clev thats 6
we take 3 of 4 from det thats 3, tampa wins 1 frpm clev 2
we win in clev its over.

We do have to win.

Although we control our own destiny, so does Cleveland. Meaning if they win out, they take the AL Central (because they'd beat us 3 times).

I don't think they can do it, but they aren't leaving us any margin for error.

CLR01
09-22-2005, 01:37 AM
However the Sox have now lost 9 of their last 13.

I like how you cut that off at the winning streak.

They have also won 1 of their last 2, 2 of the last 4, 3 of their last 6, 11 0f their last 20...

nordhagen
09-22-2005, 01:38 AM

No, he's just Jesus Christ against us. Maybe his blister will flare up again.

Mr. White Sox
09-22-2005, 01:49 AM
No, he's just Jesus Christ against us. Maybe his blister will flare up again.

[teal?]Ah, so that explains why I'm always yelling "JESUS CHRIST!" whenever Santana is pitching...[/teal?]

Dan H
09-22-2005, 05:34 AM
3 out 4 in Minny, 3 out of 4 in Detroit, 1 out of 3 in Cleveland, then the Magic Number is 1.

I don't even want to look at that stupid magic number any more. There is nothing magic about it. The Sox needed to take care of business against the Indians and didn't. The magic number has seemed to be on hold for the last three weeks.

I keep looking for something for something to give a spark to this team. I thought 4 homers off Randy Johnson would do it. Didn't happen. Thought that dramatic homer from Joe Crede would do it. They respond with an embarrassing loss.

Cleveland is the much better team right now. If the Sox want this division, they need to take four from the Twins and four from the Tigers. It feels like the Sox are chasing Cleveland, not the other way around.

JRIG
09-22-2005, 06:28 AM

Actually, and this might be hard to follow, we still have a 2 1/2 game lead on Cleveland and 3 1/2 game lead on Boston for a possible wild card berth. So, none of the next 4 games are must win. What is crucial is keeping the lead on those two teams. Of course, closing the season against Cleveland, we still have an excellent chance of controlling our own fate. So the last few games of the season -- those might be must win.

Chez
09-22-2005, 08:44 AM
I think Cleveland will sweep both the Royals and D-Rays. I'm hoping we take care of business the next 8 games. I don't want to be in the position where we have to win more than one game next weekend in Cleveland to win this thing.

Hangar18
09-22-2005, 08:47 AM

HECK, thats why I said previously the next 9 are CRITICAL, esp yesterday.
If our offense couldve mustered something, we wouldve been back to 3.5 up.
Cleve plays KC for 4 and are going to WIN all 4 of those games. We play Minn
for 4, and Santana is going, hes owned us. I honestly only seeing splitting with Twinks, we will be in a virtual tie ....... heading into Detroit and Cleveland. Indians get Tampa for 4 (mind you, their mgr has just quit, they wont be playing for anything) while we get the Tigers for 4. To say that we must win all FOUR of these games is XTREMELY CRUCIAL, because we will still be in a VIRTUAL TIE heading into Jacobs Field. This is NOT a situation you want to be in, because the Jake has been capacity crowds now, and we play badly in front of big crowds. This team doomed itself.

Hangar18
09-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Actually, and this might be hard to follow, we still have a 2 1/2 game lead on Cleveland and 3 1/2 game lead on Boston for a possible wild card berth. So, none of the next 4 games are must win.

Whew ......... and here Ive been sick to my stomach the last 8 weeks.
We can just lay down here against the Twinks ........
So were just supposed to rely on KC to do the job we were supposed to do? Thats not happening

mccoydp
09-22-2005, 08:53 AM
I'll be at the game tomorrow and believe McCarthy will beat Santana we just seen Santana 5 days ago> I have faith and when it comes to cubs and their fans I like to use the rules of personal oxygen usage. In their honor I plant about 10 trees to supplant the O2 they waste.:bandance:

***?:?: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)

Hangar18
09-22-2005, 08:55 AM
If the Sox want this division, they need to take four from the Twins and four from the Tigers. It feels like the Sox are chasing Cleveland, not the other way around.

Dan.......you are exactly right. We have lost control of this division (while we ironically still lead by 2.5) Our "magic" number is 9. We will NOT win a single game in Cleveland next weekend. We need to just win the NEXT 8 in a row to get our "magic" number to 1. The pressure will FINALLY be on the Indians for once ......... and we would only then have 3 chances to win ONE GAME in Cleveland. This team cant hit and we must avoid direct, head-to-head offensive matches right now if we want to still salvage this thing ..............
YES, the SOX have been playing Scared since August

CLR01
09-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Dan.......you are exactly right. We have lost control of this division (while we ironically still lead by 2.5) Our "magic" number is 9. We will NOT win a single game in Cleveland next weekend. We need to just win the NEXT 8 in a row to get our "magic" number to 1. The pressure will FINALLY be on the Indians for once ......... and we would only then have 3 chances to win ONE GAME in Cleveland. This team cant hit and we must avoid direct, head-to-head offensive matches right now if we want to still salvage this thing ..............
YES, the SOX have been playing Scared since August

I see you've got that tin foil on extra tight today. Loosen it up, let your brain breath.

getonbckthr
09-22-2005, 09:11 AM
for the record people are not realizing that we have 11 gms left cleveland has 10. also our lead is 3 in the loss column. also i know the sox did it to cleveland earlier in the yr but it is hard to sweep a 4 gm series on the road. tampa is playing good baseball in the 2nd half. if the indians sweep both kc and tbay that would give them an 8 gm winning streak. yes the sox have done that 4 times this year however thats no simple feat either. if we split with minny and cle takes 3 0f 4 we will be up 1.5 come monday. that would mean if clevland takes 2 of 3 from tampa and we go 3 of 4 from detroit starting the series in clevelkand we would be up 2 gms meaning the indians would have to sweep us to win the division.

Cat Thief
09-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Tomorrow night we will likely get shut out again. The next 3 after that are CRUCIAL.

I really have to stay away from here for awhile.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-22-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm looking at this series as a chance to chase the clouds away. I know PaleHoseGeorge thinks I'm one of them, but with the exception of tomorrow, I think we can realistically win the following 3 games. Jose will be pitching again, and we will miss Radke, which historically has given the Sox fits, especially late in the year.

I don't think you're a Dark Cloud. I think you're overstating your case. For example, your use of "must" is truly stretching the definition of the word as it applies to a baseball season. There are "must win" situations in baseball and none of them apply to the 2005 White Sox at the time you started this over the top thread. You did start it, right?

Predictably, the tin foil hat wearers and Dark Clouds are here to agree with your overstated case. I'm not going to make a big deal out of this because to do so would be akin to passing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500. However you ought to consider what kind of company you're keeping in this thread.

JRIG
09-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by SpartanSoxFan
Tomorrow night we will likely get shut out again. The next 3 after that are CRUCIAL.

Minnesota is running a AAA-type lineup out there for the rest of the season. One or two runs might be enough to win tonight if McCarthy is on top of his game.

Have a touch of confidence. Will it be a struggle? Of course. Santana is the best pitcher in the AL. But he does lose occasionally.

Flight #24
09-22-2005, 10:21 AM
We do have to win.

Although we control our own destiny, so does Cleveland. Meaning if they win out, they take the AL Central (because they'd beat us 3 times).

I don't think they can do it, but they aren't leaving us any margin for error.

Not so. If the Sox win their next 8 in a row, they'll have a 3-game lead entering the final series. Even a sweep by the Tribe would only tie (assuming they go 7-0 between now & then). In the event of a tie, since both teams would be in the playoffs regardless, the division would be awarded to the Sox on the basis of the 11-8 head to head season series.

Actually, using that "tie goes to the Sox" fact, the "real" magic # is already, not the 9 that's printed everywhere. And it's 6 to clinch the playoffs.

tstrike2000
09-22-2005, 10:43 AM

That's a tall order but definitely doable.

Flight #24
09-22-2005, 10:59 AM
That's a tall order but definitely doable.

That also assumes the Indians sweep 4 in KC and 3 against Tampa. The same Tampa team that just took 2 of 3 from the Red Cubs. They're not rolling over, even with Piniella out the door.

Hangar18
09-22-2005, 11:04 AM
That also assumes the Indians sweep 4 in KC and 3 against Tampa. The same Tampa team that just took 2 of 3 from the Red Cubs. They're not rolling over, even with Piniella out the door.

They will most certainly take 4 from KC. Im hoping and hoping TB plays hard ..........

Flight #24
09-22-2005, 11:16 AM
They will most certainly take 4 from KC. Im hoping and hoping TB plays hard ..........

The percentages in your sig are off, Hangar....seems like you're heeding the old sports adage on giving 110%, but it's negative.

tstrike2000
09-22-2005, 11:56 AM

Hopefully TB does. The Rays are probably the best last place team in MLB, if that makes any sense. That's our hope besides the Sox win the next two series and even having a sweep in the Detroilet series. Happy belated B-Day BTW Hangar.

TDog
09-22-2005, 12:10 PM
This week, TB impressed by beating a team fighting to make the postseason. While KC only beat up on the Tigers, finishing up their home schedule, the Royals seem to be playing with some pride. They probably haven't forgetten that 11-run ninth that Cleveland put up in their park on Aug. 9. (The game should have been won but for an error. In such a long season with such a close race, there have been so many amazing wins and unbelievable losses. Remember the Sox win in KC after the Royals loaded the bases with none out and the score tied in the ninth?)

Let's hope KC wants to make up for some embarrassment and the Tribe is guilty of some sort of letdown after the Sox series. Cleveland has played one more game than the Sox, and won it. The Sox play four in Detroit while Cleveland plays what I hope continues to be a prideful DRays team. The Sox's season is in the hands of the Sox. Maintaining that three-loss lead going into next Friday will be enough to clinch if Cleveland remains the wild card leader.

It comes down to WINNING SOME GAMES!

SoxSpeed22
09-22-2005, 12:14 PM
For all intents and purposes, a 1 game lead at the end of the season is the same thing as a 20 game lead.

WhiteSox12482
09-22-2005, 12:16 PM
This week, TB impressed by beating a team fighting to make the postseason. While KC only beat up on the Tigers, finishing up their home schedule, the Royals seem to be playing with some pride. They probably haven't forgetten that 11-run ninth that Cleveland put up in their park on Aug. 9. (The game should have been won but for an error. In such a long season with such a close race, there have been so many amazing wins and unbelievable losses. Remember the Sox win in KC after the Royals loaded the bases with none out and the score tied in the ninth?)

Let's hope KC wants to make up for some embarrassment and the Tribe is guilty of some sort of letdown after the Sox series. Cleveland has played one more game than the Sox, and won it. The Sox play four in Detroit while Cleveland plays what I hope continues to be a prideful DRays team. The Sox's season is in the hands of the Sox. Maintaining that three-loss lead going into next Friday will be enough to clinch if Cleveland remains the wild card leader.

It comes down to WINNING SOME GAMES!

--Thank God somebody is looking in the right direction, we have playoff team and everybody is caught up in this garbage IF Clevelands goes 162-0 White Sox have to go 161-1 just to catch them. Just Win, plain and simple, concentrate on your own team and worry about the other one's later because you can't control what goes on in other games.

kaufsox
09-22-2005, 12:21 PM
I like how you cut that off at the winning streak.

They have also won 1 of their last 2, 2 of the last 4, 3 of their last 6, 11 0f their last 20...

11 of last 20 doesn't exactly inspire confindence. What has Cleveland's record been over that same period? It's sad that it has come down to rooting for KC and Tampa.

09-22-2005, 12:32 PM

But he is our Daddy, he owns us, paid in full!!

CLR01
09-22-2005, 12:45 PM
11 of last 20 doesn't exactly inspire confindence. What has Cleveland's record been over that same period? It's sad that it has come down to rooting for KC and Tampa.

No it doesn't but it is certainly better than the 4-9 crap Lip is throwing out there to prove his doomsday theories about the Sox play. You can break the standings down to anything you want but the only thing that really matters is the 91-60. What the Sox did yesterday, last week or in August means nothing tonight at 7:05.

tstrike2000
09-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Well, Sweet Lou is on his way out in Tampa and hopefully the players will play hard for their soon to be departing manager.

DenverSock
09-22-2005, 01:17 PM

Eventually everybody gets figured out. Even Santana. Seems I remember Yankees fans chanting "Who's your Daddy" to no effect.

Hangar18
09-22-2005, 01:36 PM

heh hehh. Thanks for making me laugh :smile:

PaulDrake
09-22-2005, 01:50 PM
YES, the SOX have been playing Scared since August Hanger I totally agree with you on this. That's why some of us became so alarmed a while back, when the Sox still had a decent lead.

Scotty347
09-22-2005, 01:52 PM
We need to forget about Cleveland and just win some ballgames down the stretch.

I agree about playing scared, that sure seems to be the case.

soxwon
09-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Soxwon:

I don't know if you are directing your comments towards me or not but I'll respond.

Let's just say that I find a hard time believing the Indians are going to collapse against Kansas City and Tampa Bay.

However the Sox have now lost 9 of their last 13. Yes they have to start winning more games then they have been the past two weeks regardless of the fact they are 2 1/2 ahead. If they don't....well...I don't need to spell it out.

Plus you and others are so confident the Sox can at least take a game in Cleveland if they have to the final weekend. Maybe you are right...personally I'd rather not have to find out.

Lip

no i wasnt directing them towards you.
id love to see us clinch by tuesday.
it would take alot for kc & tb to win 3 games from clev.
id love to see us take 3 of 4 from minn.
but if we lose to johan tonight winning 3 straight will be rough.
But lets just have faith, stranger things have happened in baseball.

Beauty35thStreet
09-22-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm just looking forward to Cleveland coming back to Earth. They are good, but they're not .900 ball.

I do think we are a .600 or better club though.:notoons

DenverSock
09-22-2005, 09:45 PM
We need to forget about Cleveland and just win some ballgames down the stretch.

I agree about playing scared, that sure seems to be the case.

What I think is true is that any team which is on the verge of greatness at one point stumbles with fear of success. that is what I think we have seen for the second half of the season. We cannot worry about Cleveland. we need to win as many games as possible before the final series of the season so that Cleveland is out of it or close to it before we arrive.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2005, 01:43 AM
Soxwon:

Sorry I don't have any faith any longer, I've been losing mine over the years and blowing a 15 game lead will be the final straw. Screw 'faith' and 'hope.' I'll take high priced talent every time.

Ability usually wins out over faith in the end.

Lip