PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9/21 postgame thread: rubber game loss to Cleve

Bluegrass1SOXFAN
09-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Can anyone explain why the Sox can't seem to win at home anymore!! There's no reason we should be 9 more games over .500 on the road. Our crowd support has been phenominal, and we just sit back and settle for a goose egg tonight.

Is Cleveland, or for that matter the Angels, Red Sox, and Yankees really that much better than us, at this point in the season? Do we even want "home field" advantage for the playoffs (assuming we make it)?

Fake Chet Lemon
09-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Historically this team tenses up when there is a big crowd in the house. The Cleveland series was ONCE AGAIN a perfect example.

Mon >35,000..........L

Tue < 30,000..........W :smile:

Wed >35,000..........L

You talk about taking one for the team. I had 6th row in section 149 for Tuesday. My buddy and I both stayed home on purpose to take one for the team and keep the attendance down (I'll email a copy of the ticket if you doubt me!) as this pattern is driving us both out of our minds. The game was too important to chance. It worked!!!!!!

SOXfnNlansing
09-21-2005, 09:57 PM
we'll get them the last series of the season

He gone
09-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Historically this team tenses up when there is a big crowd in the house

I was thinking the same thing :(:

Does anybody know our home record this year when there is 30,000 or more fans in the house?

PAPChiSox729
09-21-2005, 09:59 PM
we'll get them the last series of the season

We are going to clinch on their turf...

Cleveland is still done.

:peace:

I am going to enjoy first place for as long as I can. And I hope it lasts into the playoffs.

SOXfnNlansing
09-21-2005, 10:00 PM
that was the worst game I never saw (DTV):angry:

Huisj

Does anybody know our home record this year when there is 30,000 or more fans in the house?

are you talking about just home games?

CubsfansareDRUNK
the ONLY reason i want HFA is so i can be there.

He gone
09-21-2005, 10:01 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-21-2005, 10:01 PM
how many "this is the worst lost of the season" games have there been the last few weeks?

TheOldRoman
09-21-2005, 10:02 PM
This isn't payback. This is our guys thinking they won the World Series last night and not even caring today. Ozzie and Kenny both need to smash stuff and flip over buffet tables. This was a joke, the Sox humiliated themselves today. If they have any pride they will come out on fire tomorrow.

He gone
09-21-2005, 10:03 PM
Yes........

HotelWhiteSox
09-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Similar to the Sox on ESPN myths, stop with the lame excuses. If the crowd would've been subpar, there would've been three threads about how it was embarrasing and disappointing and wondering of how the Sox could get pumped to win without a sold out crowd. They got beat, end of story, start the Santana gameplan

CubsfansareDRUNK
where are the trolls?

Huisj
since the AS break with big crowds, I'm counting

19-19 overall

9-13 at home

basically that's on par with the whole seconds half actually.

CHISOXFAN13
09-21-2005, 10:05 PM
This was a pathetic effort.
Will be interesting to see how the react tomorrow night.

KC just swept Detroit. What are the odds they win even one game against the Indians.

:angry:

PAPChiSox729
09-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Win 3 out of 4 against Minny. Win 3 out of 4 against Detroit. Win 1 out of 3 against Cleveland. That by itself takes the magic number down to 1. It will be tough, but I think we can manage that.

...losing sucks.

SOXfnNlansing
This isn't payback. This is our guys thinking they won the World Series last night and not even caring today. Ozzie and Kenny both need to smash stuff and flip over buffet tables. This was a joke, the Sox humiliated themselves today. If they have any pride they will come out on fire tomorrow. showing your age with the 'buffet table' comment :smile: (just trying to lighten it up a bit)

Dub25
Thank you offense for getting blanked by Scott Frickin Elarton. C.C. Slobathia would have been a little more understandable.

veeter
I swear Hafner's homerun was off of the trademark. The pitch drifted towards the middle but I thought it was a blooper off the bat. Man was I wrong. Looking forward to McCarthy tomorrow.

rdwj
09-21-2005, 10:07 PM
This is our guys thinking they won the World Series last night and not even caring today.

Couldn't agree more. They needed to build on last night and it seems like they were just happy to get one. Let's hope this is some sort of wake up call - but it's hard to believe these guys need one.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-21-2005, 10:08 PM
PAPS: To quote "Team America"

...I like your balls!

Dub25
09-21-2005, 10:08 PM
We need McCarthy to match zeros tomorrow night and then win in extra innings.

Here's to you Brandon to getting those 14 hrs of sleep tonight that you enjoy so much. :gulp: Come in tomorrow ready to go.

SOXfnNlansing
09-21-2005, 10:09 PM
where are the trolls? look in the **** house (2 just sprung up):rolleyes:

Fake Chet Lemon
09-21-2005, 10:09 PM
Big props to Jon Garland. I knew he would give a great effort. Forget the 8th, Ozzie had no business bringing him back out when the leadoff hitter was 5 for 8 lifetime against him. Then to leave Garland in against a lefty with two guys on, come on Oz! Big Jon went deep into the well in the 7th inning, why put him back out to start the 8th? Then leave him in against a lefty with two on in the 8th? But when you pop up everything in the infield on offense, guess pitching decisions don't really matter anyway.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Steve Rosenbloom of the Tribune has often used a saying when describing the Sox. 'The Sox are fine until the spotlight is on them...'

I thought they'd come out with some fire in their guts tonight ready to take it to Cleveland and basically end this thing. But I guess the Sox can't stand prosperity.

Well if they couldn't handle a Rockies castoff named Scott Elarton then they ought to LOVE a guy named Johan Santana tomorrow night.

I hope they at least show better resolve or the lead could be down to 1 1/2 (I don't know if Cleveland is off tomorrow or plays in Kansas City.)

This isn't over yet friends and neighbors...although it damn well should be.

Lip

Hendu
09-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Ugh...tough to follow up an emotional win with this clunker. Another one of these games where our hitters just fell in love with the long ball and predictably popped out one after the other. The crowd never had a chance to get into it.

And, just for good measure, Comcast sucks!!

PAPChiSox729
09-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Steve Rosenbloom of the Tribune has often used a saying when describing the Sox. 'The Sox are fine until the spotlight is on them...'

I thought they'd come out with some fire in their guts tonight ready to take it to Cleveland and basically end this thing. But I guess the Sox can't stand prosperity.

Well if they couldn't handle a Rockies castoff named Scott Elarton then they ought to LOVE a guy named Johan Santana tomorrow night.

I hope they at least show better resolve or the lead could be down to 1 1/2 (I don't know if Cleveland is off tomorrow or plays in Kansas City.)

This isn't over yet friends and neighbors...although it damn well should be.

Lip

Hernandez goes for KC tommorrow against Cleveland.

mike squires
09-21-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm gonna tell you guys what I told everyone at Hangars party as I left..."Hang in there."

ode to veeck
09-21-2005, 10:12 PM
how many "this is the worst lost of the season" games have there been the last few weeks?

well actually , none

He gone
09-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Hafner killed us this series :angry: Buehrle should of drilled again. That seemed to cool him off during the last series we played them.

Tomorrow it's time to finally learn the difference between a change-up and a fastball and kick Yo-han's butt!!!!!!!!!!!11

CubsfansareDRUNK
theres 150 freakin people viewing the clubhouse..where the **** are they all?

Huisj
Look at the bright side. They couldn't do any worse tomorrow, right?

Seriously though, they need to win games in a hurry here.

Dub25
Hernandez goes for KC tommorrow against Cleveland.

Yeah, Cleveland has Cliff Lee going. By the way, is he really 17-4? That's what clevelandindians.com says.

mike squires
09-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Why is my blood perssure out of whack today??? Hmmm, let's see.

Daily dose of blood pressure medication...check

Morning run and workout session at the gym...check

20 minute meditation...check

Oh, it must have been that 1/2 pizza I ate from pizza hut. It certainly wasn't the Sox!:angry:

ode to veeck
09-21-2005, 10:15 PM
where are the trolls?

we couldn't have killed them ALL!!?! (I thought they were like cockroaches)

Kogs35
09-21-2005, 10:15 PM
all i got to say is blahhhhhhhhhh. got a bad taste in my mouth and tomorow is a new day. go get em brandon, shut down those hostest cakes and johan sanata

Fake Chet Lemon
09-21-2005, 10:17 PM
I'm going tomorrow. I hope we can beat Santana for once. This is going to be the Twins season. They would love to knock us out, we better be ready. I wonder if Ozzie finally is starting McCarthy just so that he loses to Santana and he can quiet his critics? I hope not, that would be freaken evil. Funny how Ozzie ripped the organization for not developing Latino pitching prospects, then immediately sends McCarthy to the end of the bullpen. Hummmmm, but I'm so paranoid..........

Jerry_Manuel
09-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Rough game, I guess it's good I couldn't see it.

Oh well, gotta figure out Santana tomorrow.

PennStater98r
09-21-2005, 10:18 PM
What in the world was up with Comcast? Technical difficulties right when the game starts - and lasts the whole way through -- ***?

Cowhead418
Today in chat was an Indians love-fest. I couldn't stand it - I had to get out of there. I still don't think they ain't all they cracked up to be to be honest. But then again we aren't either.

PaleHoseGeorge
This team only goes as far as its pitching will carry it.

Rooney and Farmer were both pissed that nobody was pitching inside, especially late in the game when Cleveland started teeing off. Of course this is to be expected. Farmer blames practically every blowout loss on failing to brushback the opposing hitters.

:farmer
"And don't even start me about international customs up in Canada!"

Flight #24
09-21-2005, 10:19 PM
FOr some reason, my Comcast Sports Net was unavailable via DirectTV (but other channels were OK)....so didn't even get to watch, which may be a blessing. (EDIT: Just saw the CSN outage thread.....oh well, the rest of the post still stands!)

Regardless, this doesn't bother me a ton. The offense was flat, but they've generally been solid the past couple of weeks. And Garland seems to have pitched 7 solid (3H & 3BB w/ 2ER by my count). We get that in the playoffs and you'll see Politte & Jenks instead of Vizcaino & Bajenaru. And I'd wager that game will be a win more often than not.

kitekrazy
09-21-2005, 10:21 PM

I'm sure there will be room for more.

SAVVY18
09-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Does anyone have the exact number of pop outs we hit tonite? It seemed like there were 2 every inning. Seems like they were upper-cutting everything, instead of just trying to hit line drives.

I just have to pull out a Jamie Navarro..."It's just so frus-trating".

Deuce
09-21-2005, 10:24 PM
We still have the best record in the AL. We have a 2 1/2 game lead on the Indians. Indians have a game lead on the Red Sox for the wild card. We have 11 games left, with three in Cleveland (like us, Indians are better on the road). I'm bummed, but not worried.

Deuce

PAPChiSox729
I'm sure there will be room for more.

I doubt it. It will be rough to dip below this. If we do get eliminated, that would be the worst loss of the season. But remember, I doubt it will happen.

Foulke You
FOr some reason, my Comcast Sports Net was unavailable via DirectTV (but other channels were OK)....so didn't even get to watch, which may be a blessing.

Regardless, this doesn't bother me a ton. The offense was flat, but they've generally been solid the past couple of weeks. And Garland seems to have pitched 7 solid (3H & 3BB w/ 2ER by my count). We get that in the playoffs and you'll see Politte & Jenks instead of Vizcaino & Bajenaru. And I'd wager that game will be a win more often than not.
Comcast Sports Net was out everywhere. Check out this thread:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58055

PAPChiSox729
09-21-2005, 10:27 PM
We still have the best record in the AL. We have a 2 1/2 game lead on the Indians. Indians have a game lead on the Red Sox for the wild card. We have 11 games left, with three in Cleveland (like us, Indians are better on the road). I'm bummed, but not worried.

Deuce

Good post. This is a very tough loss, I am very bummed by it. But, we will come back. And if we don't, I will personally make a thread devoted to calling me an idiot for drinking too much Kool-aid. In short, I am standing by my team.

Foulke You
09-21-2005, 10:28 PM
If it is any consolation to anyone, the D-Rays took 2 of 3 from the Red Sox and seem to be relishing in the spoiler role of what could be Lou Pinella's swan song in TB so they shouldn't be a pushover when Cleveland plays them. Also, the Royals seem to play much better at Kauffman (33W-44L) vs their road record of (19W-55L).

Bottom line though, the Sox need to take care of business vs Minnesota and Detroit.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-21-2005, 10:29 PM

Deuce

We'll most likely have to win just one in Cleveland to wrap this thing up. Your road point is a good one, I'm sooooo glad those last three are in Cleveland. I'm very confident we'll win the one we need. If they were back at the Cell, I'd be panicing. So I still think we'll wrap this division up, just hoping Ozzie has the stones to throw the three starters in October who will give us the best chance to win.

Cowhead418
09-21-2005, 10:29 PM
I've been so pissed off after every loss the past two months that I find it impossible to get even a tiny bit angry about this game.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2005, 10:32 PM
I hope it is somehow possible to avoid having to win ANY in Cleveland. Talk about pressure.....I don't know if that's possible with the Sox W-L-W-L-W-L- sequence they find themselves in.

Lip

PAPChiSox729
09-21-2005, 10:32 PM
If it is any consolation to anyone, the D-Rays took 2 of 3 from the Red Sox and seem to be relishing in the spoiler role of what could be Lou Pinella's swan song in TB so they shouldn't be a pushover when Cleveland plays them. Also, the Royals seem to play much better at Kauffman (33W-44L) vs their road record of (19W-55L).

Bottom line though, the Sox need to take care of business vs Minnesota and Detroit.

I think that KC and TB are going to play pretty hard. I believe that KC is riding a winning streak right now, and the D'Rays love to play spoiler. That being said, I still think that Cleveland will win 5 out of 7 against them. But if the Sox take care of business against Detroit and the Twins, then the division should be ours.

ndu3t4
09-21-2005, 10:33 PM
I so happy to see Jon back on his game. This gives us Contreras, McCarthy and Garland that I think can be solid down the stretch and Mark didn't look that bad last night either. I feel good with Brandon tomorrow, but some help from KC would be nice.

Dub25
09-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Good post. This is a very tough loss, I am very bummed by it. But, we will come back. And if we don't, I will personally make a thread devoted to calling me an idiot for drinking too much Kool-aid. In short, I am standing by my team.

I agree with you and Duece. I'm bummed but I'm not as upset as Monday night.

Flight #24
09-21-2005, 10:37 PM
I think that KC and TB are going to play pretty hard. I believe that KC is riding a winning streak right now, and the D'Rays love to play spoiler. That being said, I still think that Cleveland will win 5 out of 7 against them. But if the Sox take care of business against Detroit and the Twins, then the division should be ours.

5 out of 7 means even if the Sox only win 4 out of 8 to keep it at a 1 game lead they'll still force the Tribe to sweep the final 3 to get the division.

Regardless, it's all in the Sox hands now. They took care of business enough to where they really control their destiny against teams they should beat somewhat handily. My prediction: 6-2, and clinch the division in Detroit.

Argalarga
09-21-2005, 10:49 PM
In all the insanity that's gone on the past few weeks about holding on to make the playoffs, I'm not sure if anyone has wondered what they'll do when they GET to the playoffs.

Is this team, playing as mediocre and punchless as they are right now, good enough to actually ADVANCE in the playoffs? Isn't that the goal?

The season doesn't end October 3rd. It starts October 3rd.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Arga:

Very good point however let's worry about first things first. And the first thing is to GET to the playoffs.

I think if they get to the post season just the fact they will have made it will relax them tremendously. They have been playing under the gun since September 8th, it has to be wearing on them mentally and physically.

Getting there and the attitude of 'what the hell we have nothing to lose,' will come back out and they can play free and easy again.

Even if they get swept away by whomever at least they got there...that's more then 22 other clubs can say.

Lip

Parrothead
09-21-2005, 10:57 PM

I did not do the leg work but here is the record....it is sad.......

0-3 on ESPN and 0-2 on Fox.

35,000 or more: 11-13
30,000 to 34,999: 5-8
25,000 to 29,999: 9-6
20,000 to 24,999: 7-2
Below 20,000: 11-4

BeviBall!
09-21-2005, 10:58 PM
I've never seen a team where momentum means nothing. How the hell can you have one of the most dramatic wins in club history, followed by this piece of shoe?

Garland v. Elarton = a no brainer on paper... look what happened.
Santana v. anyone we have = a no brainer on paper... do to them what happens to us all the time and win a game we shouldn't.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Arga:

Very good point however let's worry about first things first. And the first thing is to GET to the playoffs.

I think if they get to the post season just the fact they will have made it will relax them tremendously. They have been playing under the gun since September 8th, it has to be wearing on them mentally and physically.

Getting there and the attitude of 'what the hell we have nothing to lose,' will come back out and they can play free and easy again.

Even if they get swept away by whomever at least they got there...that's more then 22 other clubs can say.

Lip

The problem with your "pressure" theory is that the Sox have the LEAST pressure of any of the teams in the playoff hunt. By any measure the Sox still have the fattest lead and the most playoff berth options of any contender. What do you think the Boston Red Sox are going through tonight?
:o:

If anything, it's Cleveland and all the other also-rans who figure to be mentally and physically worn out. They're literally fighting for their lives right now.

cheeses_h_rice
09-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Figures I'd have tickets to the 2 losses this series but not the win last night.

What a joke of a game, almost as big a joke as Comcast TV, apparently.

Hard to win when you don't score any runs.

Sox had their chances, but lordy, did they do some poppin' up tonight!!! Guess they're getting into ALDS form early.

Here's a question: why didn't Ozzie start subbing batters when it was obvious that our starters weren't going to do jack**** against Elarton?

I sat in the lower bowl, which is unusual for me, and I gotta say, there were a lot of annoying "casual fans" there, especially kids. A group of what looked to be middle school or junior high school cheerleaders was seated together right in front of my vision of the field of play, and apparently their parents just didn't give a **** if their constant standing up, flapping around of the sign they brought, and inappropriate cheerleader dance moves annoyed everyone around them. They were a group of about 20 people in all, and these were seriously the dumbest, most oblivious "fans" I've ever seen. SIT THE **** DOWN WHEN THERE'S ACTION ON THE FIELD.

:angry:

And, right on cue, these asshats tried to get the Wave started all by their lonesomes.

If it's a choice between 25,000 diehards and 35,000 with 10,000 tourists in the park, give me the 25,000 any day of the week.

Just a bad day at the park.

Vernam
09-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Cy Elarton looked unhittable tonight at the park. Due to the Comcast outage, I can't check Tivo to see how awe-inspiring his stuff really was. After tonight's offensive disaster, I'm sure the boys are looking forward to Santana.

I can't fault Garland, who's been asked too often to pitch perfect baseball. Shrek Hafner is just scary good, and the rest of their lineup . . . Well, Blake killed us tonight and Monday, batting from the 9 slot.

It would be just like the perverse baseball gods to grant us a win tomorrow, when it's probably least expected. Santana was quite mortal in the first half of the season, and the Twinks will be playing without their home Baggie advantage.

VC

mike squires
09-21-2005, 11:09 PM
I did not do the leg work but here is the record....it is sad.......

0-3 on ESPN and 0-2 on Fox.

35,000 or more: 11-13
30,000 to 34,999: 5-8
25,000 to 29,999: 9-6
20,000 to 24,999: 7-2
Below 20,000: 11-4

Please, noone show up the final homestand of the season. Wait, maybe that shouldn't be in teal...

kitekrazy
09-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Big props to Jon Garland. I knew he would give a great effort. Forget the 8th, Ozzie had no business bringing him back out when the leadoff hitter was 5 for 8 lifetime against him. Then to leave Garland in against a lefty with two guys on, come on Oz! Big Jon went deep into the well in the 7th inning, why put him back out to start the 8th? Then leave him in against a lefty with two on in the 8th? But when you pop up everything in the infield on offense, guess pitching decisions don't really matter anyway.

The bullpen hasn't been exactly stellar either. I can't blame Ozzie for thinking Garland may be a better choice than the bullpen.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2005, 11:23 PM
George:

Not saying you are wrong or right but how do you account for how flat the team was in say Kansas City and then Wednesday night versus the Tribe. Especially coming off that incredible win Tuesday?

One can only imagine what the players are going through as they see this lead shrinking. If that's not pressure then I guess I don't understand the word. They are professional athletes but they are also human. Humans can't simply 'turn off the emotion switch.'

I know what the numbers say and I'm not arguing your logic except that this is a game played by humans that numbers can't fully understand or explain. If that was the case I'm be feeling much better right now then I am, because your numbers say the Sox should survive.

One note overall for the board on tonight. You wonder what may have happened if the Sox grabbed an early lead in the 2nd inning. Which they potentially could have according to the AP story if Paul didn't make another stupid baserunning blunder. Maybe it's me but the Sox have been making a number of those since that key Friday night game with the Angels where Rowand was thrown out at the plate in the 11th inning.

Lip

kitekrazy
09-21-2005, 11:27 PM
If anything, it's Cleveland and all the other also-rans who figure to be mentally and physically worn out. They're literally fighting for their lives right now.

Yeah, I was wondering why Cleveland didn't score 15 runs tonight. They must be physically and mentally worn out.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2005, 11:28 PM
Parrot:

Those numbers are way off. For example the Sox beat both the Indians and the Orioles this season on Fox. That's just one example.

Lip

kitekrazy
09-21-2005, 11:29 PM
What in the world was up with Comcast?

They decided to join our hitters and be nonexistent.

santo=dorf
09-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Parrot:

Those numbers are way off. For example the Sox beat both the Indians and the Orioles this season on Fox. That's just one example.

Lip
They beat the Cubs back in May on Fox too.

kitekrazy
09-21-2005, 11:37 PM
I've never seen a team where momentum means nothing. How the hell can you have one of the most dramatic wins in club history, followed by this piece of shoe?

Well it seems only to Sox fans that something called momentum is overrated. Last nights game was suppose to put the Sox on a roll and Cleveland was suppose to be done.

flo-B-flo
09-21-2005, 11:52 PM
What in the world was up with Comcast? Technical difficulties right when the game starts - and lasts the whole way through -- ***? Musta been a major malfunction. I watched it on mlb.com, which NEVER happens.

Parrothead
09-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Parrot:

Lip

Like I said I did not do the leg work but I was trusting someone else. Guess they were wrong about the ESPN/Fox games pretty sure the attendance stats are close though. So people don't show up and the Sox will win !

According to the schedule (sorry for the bad info)...

Fox = 4 - 1 (1 ppd)
ESPN = 1 - 1

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2005, 11:58 PM
I can't say much about this game. Nothing positive came from it.

The only positive coming from the night was that I found a way to sit on the Fan Deck even though I had an upper deck ticket for tonight.

BeviBall!
09-22-2005, 12:02 AM
One note overall for the board on tonight. You wonder what may have happened if the Sox grabbed an early lead in the 2nd inning. Which they potentially could have according to the AP story if Paul didn't make another stupid baserunning blunder.

That play was just awful. Dye just missed a right center gapper, but PK should have been tagging with 0 out. My section let him have it. Inexcusable to have mental blunders on 9/21.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-22-2005, 12:05 AM
This was the worst game of the season that I went to - worse than the Shinjo 3 HR job in early April. The Sox had no fire at the plate. Garland kept the team in it until he ran out of gas. Ozzie needed to rest the bullpen after the last two games so Garland was stuck facing Hafner who took him yard.

I rarely leave a game early but I left after Hafner's HR in the 8th.

I was surprised Ozzie didn't have Hafner hit in the 9th.

I am still upbeat - we should take advantage of a weak Twins team and I think McCarthy gives us a good chance tomorrow. We will need the effort we had the last two games and hopefully Ozzie will be able to get it out of the team.

There are no excuses to be flat at this time of the season. You can't afford to give away anything this time of the year.

Lets go White Sox!!!

A. Cavatica
09-22-2005, 12:10 AM
The problem with your "pressure" theory is that the Sox have the LEAST pressure of any of the teams in the playoff hunt. By any measure the Sox still have the fattest lead and the most playoff berth options of any contender. What do you think the Boston Red Sox are going through tonight?

I sure wouldn't want to be the A's or Angels; their wildcard chances are dead, they're not playing well, and they have four head-to-head left.

All the other contenders are probably in better emotional shape than we are. The Indians will feel no pressure as long as they keep winning. We're in great shape for the wild card, but we've gone 4-9 since our early-September streak. We have to contend with the added pressure of not blowing the rest of our division lead.

The Bosox took a hit tonight, but they are the defending champs, know they can beat the Yankees head-to-head, and still have a shot at the wild card. Both the Bosox and Yanks are used to this.

Nellie_Fox
09-22-2005, 12:25 AM

If anything, it's Cleveland and all the other also-rans who figure to be mentally and physically worn out. They're literally fighting for their lives right now.On the surface your argument would seem to hold, PHG, but which other teams are going to be excoriated in the press for blowing the biggest lead in the history of baseball should they not get into the playoffs? Nobody but our beloved Sox. It's a different kind of pressure.

billyvsox
09-22-2005, 12:32 AM
It sure would be nice to go into Cleveland and Clinch on their turf.

That should:

A) Shut Up the ****'n national media (Espn)
B) Shut Up the new bandwagon hoppin Toon fans (who don't know JHonny Peralta from Omar Vizquel.
C) Get some revenge for 1995 thru 1999.
D) Hopefully knock them out of the playoffs altogether---wouldn't that be sweet!!!
C)

billyvsox
09-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Too bad Ozzie didn't play his game 3 line-up tonight like he has all season, we might have a better chance against that bum Elarton with Willie, Ozuna, Widger, etc,..

Palehose13
09-22-2005, 01:38 AM
What a ****ing ****ty day.

I thought all was going to be good when I bought my ticket this morning. BUT:
First, I smashed the hell out of my thumb around 1pm (my whole hand/lower arm hurts).
Then it took me almost 4 hours to get to the ballpark and it was the first time EVER that I missed the first pitch.
Next, was the ballgame... :(:

and Finally, I get pulled over by a Milwaukee County Cop for speeding and get a ticket for $264.

Going to the Sox game today BY MYSELF cost me $374, and it was not worth it at all. :whiner:

MUsoxfan
09-22-2005, 01:59 AM
and Finally, I get pulled over by a Milwaukee County Cop for speeding and get a ticket for $264.

Where at? Between 27th and Ryan?

cubhater
09-22-2005, 03:35 AM
Where at? Between 27th and Ryan?

I-94 south of Milwaukee is a giant speed trap. I never go more than 5 MPH over the limit.

cubhater
09-22-2005, 03:36 AM
What a ****ing ****ty day.

I thought all was going to be good when I bought my ticket this morning. BUT:
First, I smashed the hell out of my thumb around 1pm (my whole hand/lower arm hurts).
Then it took me almost 4 hours to get to the ballpark and it was the first time EVER that I missed the first pitch.
Next, was the ballgame... :(:

Going to the Sox game today BY MYSELF cost me $374, and it was not worth it at all. :whiner:

That's the pits. I feel for you.:(:

Dan H
09-22-2005, 04:09 AM
Bottom line, the Sox had their three best pitchers go in the series and the Indians ended up scoring 21 runs. And another time for the offense to gets shut out. How can you clinch a divison when you can't win two in a row?

The White Sox needed to make a statement in this series. They did. Only it was the wrong one. Time is running out. The Soxogram says Cleveland sucks. But right now the Sox suck. Another series down the drain.

starboy0
09-22-2005, 05:55 AM
My prediction: 6-2, and clinch the division in Detroit.

I hope you're right! We simply have to stop playing .500 ball. Let's just go 8-3 the rest of the way. We need a little help from Tampa because we will get none from Minnesota. I have a feeling they will be playing all out to eliminate us. One hope is Detroit seems to have quit.

Hangar18
09-22-2005, 08:05 AM

Your exactly right .......... Now someone needs to just tell the White Sox that.

Jurr
09-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Bottom line, the Sox had their three best pitchers go in the series and the Indians ended up scoring 21 runs. And another time for the offense to gets shut out. How can you clinch a divison when you can't win two in a row?

The White Sox needed to make a statement in this series. They did. Only it was the wrong one. Time is running out. The Soxogram says Cleveland sucks. But right now the Sox suck. Another series down the drain.
Dude..you are absolutely crazy if you think those guys were our best pitchers right now. I'd put it......
Contreras
McCarthy
Buehrle
Garland
Freddy
El Duque

I can't see it any other way. Tonight will prove that McCarthy is better RIGHT NOW than Buehrle.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-22-2005, 08:46 AM
George:

Not saying you are wrong or right but how do you account for how flat the team was in say Kansas City and then Wednesday night versus the Tribe. Especially coming off that incredible win Tuesday?

I think it was one game, Lip. Furthermore I *know* this one game had even more significance to the Tribe than did Tuesday's game for the Sox. They've got New York and Boston breathing down their necks. Losing 2 of 3 to the Sox puts them behind both those teams and out of a playoff spot!

Apologies to your new pal, SpartanSoxFan, but the 2005 Sox still haven't played a "must win" game all season. You guys need to stop running away from your own shadow.

MeteorsSox4367
09-22-2005, 08:53 AM
My boss comes up to me just before lunch and tells me has an extra ticket for the Sox game, knowing what a diehard fan I am. The seats were in the lower deck in left, three rows behind the bullpen. Likely the best seats I've had this season.

Then the game starts. The Sox hit every damn ball in the air, 16 outs that way, if my count was correct. Not that their offense is the most powerful, but this is Scott Friggin' Elarton pitching for Cleveland. The same friggin' guy that Houston and Colorado DID NOT WANT.

Then the drunken idiots in front of us - who showed up in the second inning - keep getting drunker and yelling to Man Soo Lee that they like Chinese and Japanese food. Which is great, except that Lee is KOREAN!!!!

As for the game itself, no momentum after Crede's walkoff the night before? With the division on the line? Where is the fire?

Disheartening. Just so damn disheartening.

Record with me in attendance this season: A very disappointing 5-5.

wdelaney72
09-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Lip

I'd like to take solace in that, but I can't. It's just not good enough. This team teased us early and showed us they're better than that.

My baseball buzz is all but lost.

Baby Fisk
09-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Brutal. Just ****in brutal. For those who wonder why WSI is a haven for bi-polar disorders, just look at what the Sox do to us. :angry: BRUUUUUTAL!

I don't buy this notion that the Sox can't deliver in front of large crowds. Just don't -- refuse to believe something like that would get into these guys' heads. High-pressure situations however...

Johnny Mostil
09-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Well it seems only to Sox fans that something called momentum is overrated. Last nights game was suppose to put the Sox on a roll and Cleveland was suppose to be done.

Maybe we're reading different message boards, because I'd say just the opposite. Too many fans here seem to worship at the Church of Momentum, while I'd guess many players on both teams have won/lost too many dramatic games followed by too many blowout losses/wins to do so . . .

Dan H
09-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Dude..you are absolutely crazy if you think those guys were our best pitchers right now. I'd put it......
Contreras
McCarthy
Buehrle
Garland
Freddy
El Duque

I can't see it any other way. Tonight will prove that McCarthy is better RIGHT NOW than Buehrle.

That is the whole point. The fact the Buehrle and Garcia have disappeared has been a big problem. Garland has been better lately, but he was getting shelled also. If you list a 22 year-old pitcher as your #2, it is no wonder the Sox are struggling.

Flight #24
09-22-2005, 09:32 AM
That is the whole point. The fact the Buehrle and Garcia have disappeared has been a big problem. Garland has been better lately, but he was getting shelled also. If you list a 22 year-old pitcher as your #2, it is no wonder the Sox are struggling.

Garland pitched 7IP with 5H, 3BB, 2ER. That's a pretty good outing in my book. In the playoffs, almost certainly he'd be out and Politte/Cotts would be in. The point: he's pitching a lot better than his final stats from last night would indicate.

Sad
09-22-2005, 10:01 AM
WHY ARE WE PITCHING TO HAFNER?! :angry:

plunk him or walk him

slavko
09-22-2005, 11:33 AM
I think I just had a hot flash as to why we have a poorer record at home when we draw bigger crowds. It's because we draw bigger crowds when we play better teams! Tell me it doesn't make sense.

CaptainBallz
09-22-2005, 11:47 AM
P.O.S. game!!! I don't think I've ever been SO pumped just to be so disappointed. After Hafner's dinger, I had to take a walk around the concourse, bum a cigarette from a total stranger, and stand by Fisk to sulk. So pathetic. I was a shell of a man.
Y'know for most of the game, as JG was holding 'em, I thought it was only a matter of time. Then POP UP--AFTER POP UP--AFTER POP UP---AFTER POP UP.:angry:

I felt sick. I feel sick. They lost in the WORST possible way. Last game I went to was the last game of the Twinks sweep. Why the **** do I have to witness PATHETIC baseball in HUGE situations. G'DARN!!!!

SOX, please win the division...Do it for El Capitano!:(:

RetireWoodys28
09-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Horrible game, easily the worst I've been to all year. I know the offense was miserable and there was at least one big baserunning mistake, but to me it felt like we lost this game with bad pitching decisions. Refusing to pitch around Hafner resulted in 2 HRs and 5 RBIs. And can someone explain to me why Garland, who was hovering around 100 pitches, came out to pitch the 8th with a lefty leading off? And why- at 104 pitches- was he left in to face Hafner with 2 on, in a two-run game?

How many starters actually tell their manager "I'm done" when the game is still on the line? I love Ozzie. Ozzie is a HUGE part of why we are talking playoff race baseball in Chicago midway thru September, obviously. But it seems to me that if this team (with it's emphasis on "smart ball" and winning close, low-scoring games) is going anywhere over the next several seasons, Ozzie's going to have to step up and not be as concerned with harming Garland's confidence (or undermining Buehrle's perceived "leadership," or hurting Garcia's feelings, or whatever).

Magic number is 9, with 11 games remaining. How's that blood pressure, Sox fans?

RallyBowl
09-22-2005, 12:43 PM
:tomatoaward

A single tomato after an ass whipping like last night? Guess there's only about a hundred of us left on the ledge.

Baby Fisk
09-22-2005, 02:20 PM
A single tomato after an ass whipping like last night? Guess there's only about a hundred of us left on the ledge. Most others have been banned. :cool:

pierman1
09-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Garland pitched 7IP with 5H, 3BB, 2ER. That's a pretty good outing in my book. In the playoffs, almost certainly he'd be out and Politte/Cotts would be in. The point: he's pitching a lot better than his final stats from last night would indicate.

My boxscore shows his numbers as 7.1 IP with 7H, 4BB and 5ER. That's NOT a good outing in anyone's book. You can't say that only part of his performance should count, you gotta take the bad with the good and vice versa. He danced around danger all night and it finally caught up to him.

BeviBall!
09-22-2005, 02:49 PM
My boxscore shows his numbers as 7.1 IP with 7H, 4BB and 5ER. That's NOT a good outing in anyone's book. You can't say that only part of his performance should count, you gotta take the bad with the good and vice versa. He danced around danger all night and it finally caught up to him.

Especially since he had Hafner 0-2. The big 3 has been a big catastrophe this second half.

StrTrkker
09-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Win 3 out of 4 against Minny. Win 3 out of 4 against Detroit. Win 1 out of 3 against Cleveland. That by itself takes the magic number down to 1. It will be tough, but I think we can manage that.

...losing sucks.

And thats not figuring what Cleveland will do. Im still thinking that the Royals and for that matter Tampa Bay will get a few wins against the Indians. Im looking at a Sox clinch before we get to Cleveland next weekend.

Flight #24
09-22-2005, 04:13 PM

My point is that were this the playoffs and Ozzie not worried about overworking guys, you'd almost certainly have seen Cotts available. Ozzie left Garland in because his alternative LHP was Marte who a)craps his pants in key situations and b)has been hit by Hafner to the tune of .294.

So while I'm not forgiving Garland his performance, I am also not overemphasizing it in terms of predicting his postseason success. I am extremely confident in Contreras & Garland in the postseason.