PDA

View Full Version : PK's consistency

hawkjt
09-21-2005, 05:38 PM
PK's BA for June-.293, July- .315 , Aug- .300, Sept- .300

Hard to get more consistent during the big months . Easily the most consistent on the team. Now if he could work on May.....

Keep it going Paulie. We will need you tonite against that 1.29 era last three games elarton. Where did that come from and hope it is a mirage.

voodoochile
09-21-2005, 05:41 PM

Hard to get more consistent during the big months . Easily the most consistent on the team. Now if he could work on May.....

Keep it going Paulie. We will need you tonite against that 1.29 era last three games elarton. Where did that come from and hope it is a mirage.

No, just the Royals, Tiggers and A's...

MarySwiss
09-21-2005, 05:42 PM

Wow! Allow me to apologize. When I saw the thread title, I immediately assumed it was yet another "Bash Paulie" thread. Glad to see it's positive, although most of today's posts have been positive. That's what an AMAZING victory will do for you, I guess!

Unregistered
09-21-2005, 05:42 PM

Keep it going Paulie. We will need you tonite against that 1.29 era last three games elarton. Where did that come from and hope it is a mirage.And who were those last 3 games against? You guessed it: KC, Detroit and Minnesota. I'll think we'll get to him tonight. :cool:

Before those 3 starts, he had back-to-back 7ER outings against the Tigers and Devil Rays.

veeter
09-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Must re-sign Paulie.

voodoochile
09-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Must re-sign Paulie.

Depends on the price, just because he is the best hitter on THIS team doesn't mean he is irreplaceable. Last time I checked the Sox offense was not the strong point of the team.

veeter
09-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Depends on the price, just because he is the best hitter on THIS team doesn't mean he is irreplaceable. Last time I checked the Sox offense was not the strong point of the team. What does that mean? He'd be the best hitter on a lot of teams. Who could he be replaced with? Is he worth Sexson money? I don't think so, but I don't think Sexson is worth Sexson money. These guys are all expensive. To say the offense isn't the strong part of the team sure as heck isn't Paulie's fault.

voodoochile
09-21-2005, 07:30 PM
What does that mean? He'd be the best hitter on a lot of teams. Who could he be replaced with? Is he worth Sexson money? I don't think so, but I don't think Sexson is worth Sexson money. These guys are all expensive. To say the offense isn't the strong part of the team sure as heck isn't Paulie's fault.

No, he wouldn't be the best hitter on a lot of teams. Almost every team in competition for a playoff spot has at least one if not two hitters better than him.

veeter
09-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Better than him in your opinion or by the numbers?

Daver
09-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Better than him in your opinion or by the numbers?

I would suggest you look at the numbers for the teams vying for a playoff spot. Everyone one of them has at least two hitters over .300, IIRC Paul is hitting bout .273 right now, and was down around the Mendoza line early in the season.

veeter
09-21-2005, 07:40 PM
I would suggest you look at the numbers for the teams vying for a playoff spot. Everyone one of them has at least two hitters over .300, IIRC Paul is hitting bout .273 right now, and was down around the Mendoza line early in the season. OK, answer this. If we don't resign him who do we replace him with?

voodoochile
09-21-2005, 07:43 PM
OK, answer this. If we don't resign him who do we replace him with?

Like I said, it depends on the price. Is PK worth 12M? No.

If the Sox can get him for 8M okay, sign him

Otherwise, they should take a long look at the FA list and find someone who can put up similar numbers for 4-5 and spend the rest of the money elsewhere.

Dye isn't statistically that much worse than PK this year and makes 5M. I'd rather find someone like that.

Daver
09-21-2005, 07:44 PM
OK, answer this. If we don't resign him who do we replace him with?

Casey Rogowski.

veeter
09-21-2005, 07:48 PM
If a guy puts up similar numbers won't he make nearly the same money? Then we're in the same boat (which is a very good boat). The Dye salary boggles my mind. He is a HUGE bargain. KW pulled a rabbit out of his hat on that one. If they can find a guy that puts up Konerko's numbers but makes a lot less do it. But isn't that staement rediculous in itself?

voodoochile
09-21-2005, 07:52 PM
If a guy puts up similar numbers won't he make nearly the same money? Then we're in the same boat (which is a very good boat). The Dye salary boggles my mind. He is a HUGE bargain. KW pulled a rabbit out of his hat on that one. If they can find a guy that puts up Konerko's numbers but makes a lot less do it. But isn't that staement rediculous in itself?

Not really... PK is coming into his prime and teams that can afford him might overpay for him. The Sox cannot afford to overpay PK. He isn't Maggs or Frank or even Carlos Lee.

veeter
09-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Not really... PK is coming into his prime and teams that can afford him might overpay for him. The Sox cannot afford to overpay PK. He isn't Maggs or Frank or even Carlos Lee. Comparing him to Frank is unfair. The other two, that's debateable. Their positions are different, so are their styles. But if you compare HRs and RBI's PK is right with them. Also look at his value as a teammate. I think the guys love him. That is very important. The Rogowski thing is interesting to me but he's a kid. He could be good he could be bad.

voodoochile
09-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Comparing him to Frank is unfair. The other two, that's debateable. Their positions are different, so are their styles. But if you compare HRs and RBI's PK is right with them. Also look at his value as a teammate. I think the guys love him. That is very important. The Rogowski thing is interesting to me but he's a kid. He could be good he could be bad.

You're high.

No way is PK even close to the hitter Maggs is/was when healthy.

You should check out PK's numbers with RISP and ask yourself what a guy who could do better under that situation would put up in terms of RBI.

He's a solid hitter who plays the easiest position on the field and will probaly be a DH in the next few years. He's slow, is an average 1B defensively and cannot play any other position. Go ahead, sort the MLB numbers by slg, RISP and OPS and you will be surprised how far down the list PK is. Last I heard he was 8th on the Sox for BA W/RISP.

I'd love him in the 5 hole, but the Sox don't have anyone worthy of the 3 or 4 hole currently, so go sign a serious hitter and see if PK wants to return for what he is worth.

Daver
09-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Comparing him to Frank is unfair. The other two, that's debateable. Their positions are different, so are their styles. But if you compare HRs and RBI's PK is right with them. Also look at his value as a teammate. I think the guys love him. That is very important. The Rogowski thing is interesting to me but he's a kid. He could be good he could be bad.

Casey is not a kid, he lost two seasons to injuries, and is a consistent hitter with a good average, and gives you some speed at first base, he lacks Konerko's power though.

veeter
09-21-2005, 08:11 PM
You're high.

No way is PK even close to the hitter Maggs is/was when healthy.

You should check out PK's numbers with RISP and ask yourself what a guy who could do better under that situation would put up in terms of RBI.

He's a solid hitter who plays the easiest position on the field and will probaly be a DH in the next few years. He's slow, is an average 1B defensively and cannot play any other position. Go ahead, sort the MLB numbers by slg, RISP and OPS and you will be surprised how far down the list PK is. Last I heard he was 8th on the Sox for BA W/RISP.

I'd love him in the 5 hole, but the Sox don't have anyone worthy of the 3 or 4 hole currently, so go sign a serious hitter and see if PK wants to return for what he is worth. I haven't been high in a long time so that's not true. Give me a name and end the arguement. You know a lot of PK's detailed stats so you probably researched his replacement. Who is he?

voodoochile
09-21-2005, 08:31 PM
I haven't been high in a long time so that's not true. Give me a name and end the arguement. You know a lot of PK's detailed stats so you probably researched his replacement. Who is he?

I have no idea. I don't follow next year's FA's until after the season ends, more so this year.

My point is that finding guys who can put up PK like numbers isn't that difficult and he doesn't need to be signed at any cost.

If the price is right, I welcome him back, but if not, I'd rather pay a lot less money for a minor downgrade and then spend money upgrading CF/DH/LF (with Pods moving to CF or being used as trade bait).

Heck, sign a powerhitting RF and move Dye to first, or sign a cheap DH and move CC to first. There is a list of upcoming FA's in a thread in WTS from a few weeks ago. You can look it over and see what is available...