PDA

View Full Version : Corked Bats!??? Maybe.....

DaveIsHere
09-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Has anyone else noticed the last two games that when the Indians broke a bat they were sure quick to get the barrel???

In particular, i forgot who broke a bat last night, but it seemd that the 3rd base coach was on top of it beofre the out was made. I know that Hawk and Dj mentioned this in each of the 1st two games when it has happened.

makes you wonder!!!!!!!!!

chitownhawkfan
09-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Farmer also brought it up last night on the radio

PatK
09-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Farmer also brought it up last night on the radio

Yeah, Farmio was all over that.

I thought he said that the ump did inspect the handle, though.

TheDarkGundam
09-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Hawk and DJ kinda implied that they think something is up even.

I diddn't see an ump check the bat...

Hangar18
09-22-2005, 08:20 AM
I remember hearing about this on Monday , and at Tues game, I did indeed
notice that a couple of the broken bats were pounced on rather quickly ........
I wonder ........

Rocky Soprano
09-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Some of you are starting to sound like Cub Fans, just looking for excuses.

itsnotrequired
09-22-2005, 10:10 AM

What about the chick-scoping bench?

munchman33
09-22-2005, 10:20 AM

Seriously, running over to a broken bat immediately isn't normal behavior for a ballplayer. Half of them will let the batboy take care of it. The other half will dawdle to stall the picture and stop him from getting into a grove. That's simply what is always done. It's smart baseball. Eric Wedge is a smart manager. He would have his players doing this. Nobody scurries to pick up the shattered pieces of their bat. Nobody.

SoxSpeed22
09-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Seriously, running over to a broken bat immediately isn't normal behavior for a ballplayer. Half of them will let the batboy take care of it. The other half will dawdle to stall the picture and stop him from getting into a grove. That's simply what is always done. It's smart baseball. Eric Wedge is a smart manager. He would have his players doing this. Nobody scurries to pick up the shattered pieces of their bat. Nobody.Just imagine if they get caught. The country would be worshipping cheaters. We'd be leading a division with the Toons' corked bats and the Twins' 'roided up pen.
900! on a conspiracy of all things.

DrGiggles
09-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Excuses...Excuses...You'll hear them everyday.

Jerko
09-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Corked Indian bats doesn't explain scoring ZERO runs against possibly their worst starter.

Rocky Soprano
09-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Excuses...Excuses...You'll hear them everyday.

Thank You!

patbooyah
09-22-2005, 10:57 AM
excuses could also be reasons.

why don't you guys lay off each other?

you can state your opinion, you don't have to call names.

Rocky Soprano
09-22-2005, 11:01 AM
excuses could also be reasons.

why don't you guys lay off each other?

you can state your opinion, you don't have to call names.

Yes everyone can state their opinion.

And I stated mine by saying that Cub fans are the ones always looking for excuses for the losses. And as Sox fans we should not do the same.

IF they did cork their bats, that would not stop the Sox bats from going cold.

We are losing cause the team is not consistent, and thats it. Just my opinion...

patbooyah
09-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Yes everyone can state their opinion.

And I stated mine by saying that Cub fans are the ones always looking for excuses for the losses. And as Sox fans we should not do the same.

IF they did cork their bats, that would not stop the Sox bats from going cold.

We are loosing cause the team is not consistent, and thats it. Just my opinion...

there are a lot of things i'd rather be called than a cubs fan. :cool:

voodoochile
09-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Like Albert Belle might say:
"I have no idea how anyone could accuse the toons of using corked bats..."

RichFitztightly
09-22-2005, 02:03 PM
I don't think anybody is using a corked bat as an excuse. The Sox lost plain and simple. However, if I get a chance to catch an opponent using a corked bat, I'm jumping all over that opportunity. If for no other reason than it would be funny and give the Indians a huge media distraction to deal with.

HotelWhiteSox
09-22-2005, 02:33 PM
I don't see it as excuses, but as a matter that should be looked into. The Peralta one was very weird when I was at the game. Not talking about losing because of cork bats, but that possible cheating should be looked into

Weird how they were horrible offensively for the 1st half and now pound out more than 6 runs a game. Slumps happen, but when you're whole team (including Hafner who didn't have a HR for while) isn't hitting for months, they usually don't get this hot and stay that way consistently. Maybe the 'new hitting instructor' was a cork prescription

cheeses_h_rice
09-22-2005, 02:53 PM
I think the corked bat talk is crazy, but I will say that the home run by Casey Blake last night looked to me like an absoultely routine can o' corn that was going right to Dye from where I was sitting. I have no idea how that ball carried so far.

Foulke You
09-23-2005, 11:15 AM
I don't think anybody is using a corked bat as an excuse. The Sox lost plain and simple. However, if I get a chance to catch an opponent using a corked bat, I'm jumping all over that opportunity. If for no other reason than it would be funny and give the Indians a huge media distraction to deal with.
Agreed. I think during our next series at Cleveland, if a Tribe player breaks a bat and more suspicious behavior follows, the Sox should ask to have the bat examined. If nothing is found, at the very least you have a bit of gamesmanship that might distract the Indians. At best, a guy like Hafner or Sizemore is caught with cork and is ejected from the game.

HotelWhiteSox
09-23-2005, 01:23 PM
I had DVRed the game since I was there, and tried to upload the main at bat where Hawk and DJ started talking about it (I know, bad quality, but you get the jist of it)

http://media.putfile.com/Mikes-Digi-Cam-Pictures-Canon-A-510-329

The conversation got cut off since I ran out of memory, but the rest of it went:

Hawk: Makes you think, huh?
DJ: Yeah! He literally sprinted right when that bat exploded
DJ then brought up the Albert Belle disappearing bat
Then they discussed how they haven't seen managers checking bats.