PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Buehrle?

bluestar
09-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Mark has always been up and down as far as his control and dominance, but this string of less-than-spectacular performances is particularly disturbing. I haven't seen any of his more recent performances. I was just wondering if anyone here has any ideas as to what is wrong? Is it fatigue? IIRC, he has not missed a start, and with his tendency to go deep into games, that's a lot of innings. Is it a simple lack of confidence in his "stuff?" Could he be injured? Farmer has said Mark's pitches are up, and he isn't coming inside as much as he was. Obviously, we could use a couple of dominant performances -- or at least a couple of those performances where Buehrle doesn't have the best stuff but just refuses to give in -- as we go down the stretch and into the playoffs.

I have always considered Buehrle the ace of this team, simply because of his mental attitude, but that seems to be missing of late. Any ideas as to what is going on?

krohnjw
09-21-2005, 03:37 PM
I noticed that neither Buehrle or Garcia are really pitching inside anymore. I recall at the beginning of the year there was a plethora of broken bats from Garcia, Buehrle and Garland pounding inside. Now however, outside of peralta's possible corky bat, I can't remember the last time I saw them pounding inside. I may be crazy, but when they challenged the hitters that way they were successful. Now we see MB nibbling at the corner and getting hit around, it seems like a strong correlation to me :o:

bluestar
09-21-2005, 03:46 PM
One of the many moments in Buehrle's career that really impressed me was last year (I think it was last year) in Montreal when Mark gave up something like five runs through the first two innings. The Expos were on everything he threw to the plate it seemed. Mark came out in the third inning and shut them down, and continued that over the remainder of the game. After the game, he said he went into the clubhouse after the second inning and watched film of his work during the first two innings. He recognized what he was doing wrong, and made an adjustment. I thought that was pretty incredible that he had the mental toughness to do that.

But I just don't see that confidence from Buehrle lately. Even his comments to the press sound tentative and lack confidence. Obviously, we would all like to see him go out and deliver a dominant 1- or 2-hitter, but I would gladly take one of his good ol' "refuse to lose" wins now.

Jerko
09-21-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm just sick of the lead-off homers an inning right after we score. That shows lack of concentration, which thankfully, is easier to fix than lack of talent. Unless you're Kyle Farnsworth, that is.

Huisj
09-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Ken Harrelson keeps saying that he's not "selling" his changeup lately like he was a month ago when he was pitching well. He thinks his arm and shoulder are visibly slowed on his changeup compared with his fastball, and the hitter can recognize it and stay back better. If this is the case, I can see why it might also cause him to nibble a bit more, because that changeup is to some extent what allows him to come in with his fastball on right handers.

Not sure how much of that is truth and how much is just Hawk complaining and trying to sound smart.

PatK
09-21-2005, 04:47 PM
All of the Sox starters aren't pitching inside like they were earlier in the year, except for maybe Contreras.

SoxSpeed22
09-21-2005, 05:59 PM
http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_400098.jpg"Right when he hit me. His outings since..."
7/21 v. BOS- 6IP 10H 5R 3ER 3BB 1K
7/26 @ KC- 6IP 8H 7R 7ER(BS) 2BB 2K
8/1 @ BAL- 5.2IP (That is total BS!) 5H 1R 0ER 1BB 3K
8/6 v. SEA- 7IP 7H 1R 1ER 3K
8/12 @ BOS- 7IP 12H 6R 6ER 2BB 2K
8/17 v. MIN- 7IP 8H 5ER 4R 2BB 7K
8/22 @ MIN- 8IP 6H 1R 1ER 6K
8/29 @ TEX- (sign stealing) 7IP 9H 7R 4ER 1BB 4K
9/3 v. DET- 7IP 9H 1R 1ER 8K
9/9 v. LAA- 6IP 10H 5R 5ER 1BB 2K
9/15 @ KC- 6.1IP 9H 4R 4ER 2 BB 3K
9/20 v. CLE- 6IP 7H 4R 4ER 2BB 5K
2 things, one was Hafner getting plunked, the other was getting thrown out of that Baltimore game. He doesn't seem to be working all parts of the plate anymore, he's trying too hard with his control, running the count up. And his defense isn't helping him either, he can't pitch around bad defense. When they make the plays, less hits and less runs.

Flight #24
09-21-2005, 06:01 PM
http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_400098.jpg"Right when he hit me.

That's an interesting, and IIRC not uncommon thing. After a serious beaning, both hitters and pitchers worry about pitches inside getting away from them, which leads hitters to bail and can send pitchers sailing things back over the plate.

Good point SS22.

hawkjt
09-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Hawk always has given AJ a ton of credit for getting them to pitch inside. If that is correct then why doesnt AJ want to go inside anymore?

My theory is that while the arms are not hurt , they are tired and with that fatigue the command is just not as good. They want to throw strikes but just are not commanding the pitches the way they were. Cooler weather and a week off might help if we can clinch early.

bluestar
09-21-2005, 06:08 PM
He doesn't seem to be working all parts of the plate anymore, he's trying too hard with his control, running the count up. And his defense isn't helping him either, he can't pitch around bad defense. When they make the plays, less hits and less runs.

As far as the count, I don't know when I have ever seen him pitch from behind as much as he has in his last two or three starts. It seemed like a lot of the batters were 2-0, 3-1 last night.

The defense is a key, too. Buehrle has always been a guy that allows the other team to put the ball in play and relies on the defense to get the out.

Buehrle doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would let something like the Hafner plunking bother him, but it looks like it could be a factor.

veeter
09-21-2005, 08:30 PM
IMO Buerhle is going through a dead arm period. His velocity is just not there. Add in the fact his location has been poor adds to his ineffectiveness. If he comes through the period, he'll be great again.

A. Cavatica
09-21-2005, 11:02 PM
He's got to be tired. He's the only AL pitcher to throw 220+ innings each of the last five years.

2005 - 1st: 222+ IP (Zito 215.1, Garcia 213, Colon 212.2, Santana 209.2)
2004 - 1st: 245.1 (Santana 228, Schilling 226.2, Mulder 225.2, Radke 219.2)
2003 - 5th: 230.1 (Halladay 266, Colon 242, Hudson 240, Zito 231.2)
2002 - 2nd: 239.0 (Halladay 239.1, Hudson 238.1, Moyer 230.2, Zito 229.1)
2001 - 10th: 221.1 (Garcia 238.2, Hudson 235, Mays 233.2, Sparks 232)

Fake Chet Lemon
09-21-2005, 11:36 PM
Buehrle, Garland and Pods (speed-wise) have all slipped since going to the All-Star game. A couple of years ago Konerko had a horrendous second half after appearing in the All-Star game. I don't know, it is weird though.

kitekrazy
09-22-2005, 12:44 AM
Has Mark ever really been a 2nd half pitcher? He usually gets 10 wins before the break, but mediocre the 2nd half. If fact most of the staff gets rocked the 2nd half.