PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing Corgan? (Cubune's latest Flubbie superiority spin)

Hangar18
09-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Uncle Fester, of Smashing Pumpkins fame, had an interesting quote in todays Cubune. Hope he really feels that way.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0509210307sep21,1,4896810.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Risk
09-21-2005, 11:56 AM
And I, Risk, cordially extend my middle finger to Mr. Corgan.

Risk

MsSoxVixen22
09-21-2005, 11:57 AM

Risk

:roflmao:

Jerko
09-21-2005, 11:58 AM
:whatever:

cheeses_h_rice
09-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Despite all my rage /
I am still quite bald for my age

MisterB
09-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Count noted Cub fan Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins fame among those hoping to join a Soxtober celebration.

"I find it impossible to root against the White Sox," Corgan wrote in an on-line chat for the Tribune's Web site. "Personally, I find the Sox haters lame, and once it goes beyond good-natured fun, have no use for it.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/Bandwagon.jpg

:rolleyes:

Unregistered
09-21-2005, 12:04 PM

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/Bandwagon.jpg

:rolleyes:Oh yeah, without a doubt.
You'll see him AND Bill Murray front row if the Sox make it to the World Series. Book it.

Meanwhile, that article is bull****. It's one of those giddy "We really hope the Sox still make the playoffs" stories where they try to align us with the ****ing choking Cubs. Nice try, Cubune. Thanks, but no thanks.

spiffie
09-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Here's my thinking on this...if the Sox go deep in the playoffs, you know Fox will drag out any Chicago singers to sing the National Anthem. Billy is probably the most famous singer from Chicago out there. Billy doesn't want to enter to 40,000 people booing the hell out of him.

eriqjaffe
09-21-2005, 12:06 PM
...but if he does, expect the ESPN announcers to comment on how classless it is. And then they'll make a reference to the 2003 ASG, and probably drag the Ligues into it somehow, too.

Please note that the above was not in teal.

SOXintheBURGH
09-21-2005, 12:08 PM
...but if he does, expect the ESPN announcers to comment on how classless it is. And then they'll make a reference to the 2003 ASG, and probably drag the Ligues into it somehow, too.

Please note that the above was not in teal.

Well noted. And entirely true.

cheeses_h_rice
09-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Oh yeah, without a doubt.
You'll see him AND Bill Murray front row if the Sox make it to the World Series. Book it.

Murray maybe, but definitely not Corgan, especially with the way he's publicly aligned himself with the Lovable Losers over the years.

Flight #24
09-21-2005, 12:10 PM

Risk

:thumbsup:

Seriously.

"I find Sox haters lame"? Didn't this ass-clown pen a song called "White Sox Suck" or "Black Sox" or something like that not too long ago?

credefan24
09-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Wow. Billy Corigan of some group I don't really care for extends an "olive branch." Tell him he can take that branch and shove it where the sun don't shine. We don't need jagbags like him trying to say "ohh.. I'm a Chicago fan." B.S. you are a cub fan. Get out.

Cat Thief
09-21-2005, 12:11 PM

:yup:

Unregistered
09-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Murray maybe, but definitely not Corgan, especially with the way he's publicly aligned himself with the Lovable Losers over the years.Don't count out the obvious "I'm here supporting the City of Chicago" when you see him, Bonnie "Talentless" Hunt, Jim Belushi and Vince Vaughn sitting next to the Mayor (an actual Sox fan) in the playoffs. :rolleyes:

Uncle_Patrick
09-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Who cares what some has-been thinks? Maybe he's hoping this will get some Sox fans to buy his lame solo album.

1951Campbell
09-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Dear Billy:

Your band sucks.

Your haircut sucks.

Your team allegiance sucks.

Sincerely,

1951Campbell

Pulaski
09-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Uncle Fester, of Smashing Pumpkins fame, had an interesting quote in todays Cubune. Hope he really feels that way.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0509210307sep21,1,4896810.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

I like the Pumpkins and Billy Corgans musical ability; however, I could care less what he thinks about the Sox, Cubs and Baseball.

PatK
09-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Here's my thinking on this...if the Sox go deep in the playoffs, you know Fox will drag out any Chicago singers to sing the National Anthem. Billy is probably the most famous singer from Chicago out there. Billy doesn't want to enter to 40,000 people booing the hell out of him.

Lou Rawls is a Sox fan, who sang before the legendary Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS if I remember.

jdm2662
09-21-2005, 12:27 PM

How about Dennis DeYoung? Aren't the members from Styx from Oak Lawn?

If there is anything I hate in this world, it's bandwagon jumpers. Cubbie fans, give everyone a favor and not pretend to be a Sox fan or "Chicago fan". It's ok to be indifferent, not wishing any ill towards the Sox, or flat out rooting against the Sox. However, stay on the North side and tell me how "cool" it is to be a Cub fan. Don't come crawling to the stadium and pretending to be a fan all of along because it's great for the city of Chicago. I have a lot of true die-hard Cub fans, and they all want to Sox to lose and embarass themselves to get back at Sox fans for 2003. That's fine with me. I expect nothing less from them, too. Why should they be happy for "Chicago"? They're not Sox fans!

Foulke You
09-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Wow. Billy Corigan of some group I don't really care for extends an "olive branch." Tell him he can take that branch and shove it where the sun don't shine. We don't need jagbags like him trying to say "ohh.. I'm a Chicago fan." B.S. you are a cub fan. Get out.
Yep, whenever the Sox do well and the Cubs aren't, they all line up like sheep waiting to get in on a good thing. Not so much the die hard Cub fans. I expect them to be rooting against us, but the fringe "Cub Fans", you know the ones, "the most die-hard fans since October 2003" type fans. Those will be the ones saying "I'm just rooting for Chicago" looking to get in on a good thing.

As far as Billy Corgan, this is the guy who wrote an anti-Sox song and at the farewell Smashing Pumpkins show at the UC said he'd like to see a Stanley Cup for the Blackhawks and a World Series for the Cubs. Sox fans in the crowd booed the Cubs comment and he said "Oh, there is another team in Chicago, that minor league team, the Sox". I liked the Pumpkins but Billy, I don't want you anywhere near our team or our park if we make the playoffs.

PatK
09-21-2005, 12:30 PM
. However, stay on the North side and tell me how "cool" it is to be a Cub fan. Don't come crawling to the stadium and pretending to be a fan all of along because it's great for the city of Chicago.

Exactly. Don't come to the stadium rooting against the Sox giving me the "it takes Cubs fans to fill this place up" nonsense. You're taking tickets away from Sox fans that want to be there.

Baby Fisk
09-21-2005, 12:34 PM
http://www.breweriana.co.uk/s/Bart%20-%20mooning.jpg

"Billy Corgan I salute you!"

MUsoxfan
09-21-2005, 12:42 PM
How about Dennis DeYoung? Aren't the members from Styx from Oak Lawn?

We can get Dennis DeYoung and Kevin Cronin of REO Speedwagon to do a duet of the National Anthem!

C-Dawg
09-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Billy's just trying to align himself with the Sox, because if they do go far into the playoffs he'll perhaps get on TV a lot; his recent pro-Sox platform being fresh in the reporter's minds, they'll go to him for all the latest soundbites and insight.

Its just like when Northwestern was in the Rose Bowl, and all of a sudden there was David Schwimmer and others on TV all the time to talk about it. The reality is - these celebrities will do and say anything to get on TV and prop up their sagging careers!

kninchicago
09-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Wow I never knew about that Billy Corgan song but I found it by Googling "corgan sox". Was he 12 when he wrote that? Because that's really, really pathetic for an adult to waste their time writing a song about how a team sucks. Grow the hell up Corgan.

Over By There
09-21-2005, 01:00 PM
No thanks.

voodoochile
09-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Gee, Billy... thanks. Now get the **** off my bandwagon...:?:

LuvSox
09-21-2005, 01:05 PM
You WSI folks never cease to make me laugh!!:kneeslap:

There are some great posts in this thread!!

LongLiveFisk
09-21-2005, 01:11 PM
I like the Pumpkins and Billy Corgans musical ability; however, I could care less what he thinks about the Sox, Cubs and Baseball.

What's strange is that I read an interview with Billy where he basically said something to the effect of being an outsider in high school and not being into the "in" thing, sports, etc so I am surprised that he even cares about sports at all really.

And btw, is it at all possible that he was just trying to get under the skin of Sox fans not in a really vindictive way but was just having fun with it? (And I ask this having admittedly not heard that song either, so don't jump all over me, it's just a question!) :D:

The Dude
09-21-2005, 01:34 PM
What's next, our beloved Cubs fan Governor Rod "Bubbles" Blagojevich retracting his statement from the Sporting news last season??

Were you expecting a political theme to creep into this column? Nah, that wouldn't be me. I love being the governor, but I love just as much being a regular guy from the North Side of Chicago who bleeds Cubby blue -- and wouldn't wear a White Sox cap even if they made the World Series.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Sounds like Corgan wants two tickets for the World Series and some tickets / cds of his own to pimp.

Wait til next millennium Corgan.

Hangar18
09-21-2005, 01:52 PM
What's strange is that I read an interview with Billy where he basically said something to the effect of being an outsider in high school and not being into the "in" thing, sports, etc so I am surprised that he even cares about sports at all really.

IM surprised that didnt make him a SOX FAN from the get-go

Uncle_Patrick
09-21-2005, 01:59 PM
IM surprised that didnt make him a SOX FAN from the get-go

I guess he just wanted to find a way to be "cool".

Lip Man 1
09-21-2005, 02:00 PM
Screw Billy. If the Sox were to blow this we wouldn't need any help in frying the team. We'd do it far worse then any Cub fan could ever imagine.

Lip

BainesHOF
09-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Screw Billy Corgan and, while we're at it, his Cubs commentary outlet, WXRT.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-21-2005, 02:09 PM
:crossdresser <----------------- Billy Corgan
"I smell some free publicity on the South Side!"

Nellie_Fox
09-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Lou Rawls is a Sox fan......and can actually sing!

Hitmen77
09-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Let's cut through the crap and decode what the Trib wants to convey to the public:

Classy Cub Fans Gracious About Possible Sox Elimination.
- Cub Nation rise above bitter spitefulness that Sox fans displayed in 2003.
- Let's say even more good things about Cub fans!
- '03 flashback: Classless Sox fans don't support Cubs.

Of course, this is total BS. 90% of the Cub fans out are full of hatred of what they cleverly call the "White Sux". This article is just a propaganda tool to make Cub fans look good.

Dan H
09-21-2005, 02:46 PM
I think one sincere person quoted here was Bob Sirott. He had me on Chicago Tonight to talk about my book and was actually very complimentary about the Sox. Was quite knowledgable about the team as well.

However, no Cub fans I know have come up to me to say they wish the Sox well. We, of course, don't wish the Cubs well. We are just more honest about it.

SOXPHILE
09-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Mr Foot, meet Billy Corgan's arse. Get lost Corgan. Your like every other celebrity, B list or not, who at the first sign of any local team's success, (see: 2003 Cubs, 2004-2005 Illini, 1995 Northwestern, 1990's Bulls, and now, 2005 WHITE SOX), tries to jockey for position to the nearest cameras to get your ugly mug plastered all over electronic and print media, while you "enlighten" all of us with your thoughts and musings on the teams season.

Hangar18
09-21-2005, 03:01 PM
I think one sincere person quoted here was Bob Sirott. He had me on Chicago Tonight to talk about my book and was actually very complimentary about the Sox. Was quite knowledgable about the team as well.

I agree, he is a very knowledgable guy and does know plenty about the SOX.
He is among a tiny and rare group of cub fans I call Knowledgable

Uncle_Patrick
09-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Let's cut through the crap and decode what wants to convey to the public:

Classy Cub Fans Gracious About Possible Sox Elimination.
- Cub Nation rise above bitter spitefulness that Sox fans displayed in 2003.
- Let's say even more good things about Cub fans!
- '03 flashback: Classless Sox fans don't support Cubs.

Of course, this is total BS. 90% of the Cub fans out are full of hatred of what they cleverly call the "White Sux". This article is just a propaganda tool to make Cub fans look good.

Personally, I think this is the exact message the Trib is trying to convey. When I read Billy Corgan's "Sox haters are lame" comment, I expected it to be followed by a "you know that White Sox fans spend all their time hating the Cubs" - type comment. If you don't like a team, there's nothing wrong with rooting against them, in my opinion.

TheOldRoman
09-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Its just like when Northwestern was in the Rose Bowl, and all of a sudden there was David Schwimmer and others on TV all the time to talk about it. The reality is - these celebrities will do and say anything to get on TV and prop up their sagging careers!
The difference being, David Schwimmer, Gary Marshall, and all the others that paraded on TV during the Rose Bowl run actually went to Northwestern. That tool Bill Murray has probably never even been to Champaign, but being the media whore he is, he got courtside seats for the NCAA tournament.

Oh, and at that time, David Schwimmer was red hot, with Friends in its 1st or 2nd season. He couldn't have possibly gotten more pub than he already was.

Steelrod
09-21-2005, 04:31 PM
It's only a matter of time before John Cusack becomes a lifelong Sox Fan!
(no disrespect to Joan)

Uncle_Patrick
09-21-2005, 04:33 PM
It's only a matter of time before John Cusack becomes a lifelong Sox Fan!
(no disrespect to Joan)

I don't think Joan is a Sox fan, just a US Cellular spokesperson.

HotelWhiteSox
09-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Despite all my rage /
I am still quite bald for my age

:rolling:

miker
09-21-2005, 06:16 PM
For such a musically diverse city as Chicago, it's kinda dissapointing he's that high on the Chicagoans-singing-the-anthem depth chart.

Foulke You
09-21-2005, 06:45 PM
For such a musically diverse city as Chicago, it's kinda dissapointing he's that high on the Chicagoans-singing-the-anthem depth chart.
I doubt Billy will sing the national anthem. Billy is a rock band frontman, not a soloist. He doesn't exactly have an "anthem" voice.

silenceofthehawk
09-21-2005, 11:02 PM
:thumbsup:

Seriously.

"I find Sox haters lame"? Didn't this ass-clown pen a song called "White Sox Suck" or "Black Sox" or something like that not too long ago?
no.

Blancos Medias
09-26-2005, 04:40 PM
The only national anthem that whiny little voice is capable of is the French national anthem.

Hey Billy, you got enough forehead for four heads.

kittle42
09-26-2005, 05:23 PM
The only national anthem that whiny little voice is capable of is the French national anthem.

Hey Billy, you got enough forehead for four heads.

Ugh.

Flight #24
09-26-2005, 05:42 PM
That tool Bill Murray has probably never even been to Champaign, but being the media whore he is, he got courtside seats for the NCAA tournament.

Not that this changes anything about Murray's character, but the story there was that a year or so prior, he came into contact with the team via some charity event/occurrence, got to know some of the guys, and started following them. It wasn't just a case where they were doing well and he jumped on the bandwagon after the fact.

NardiWasHere
09-26-2005, 07:09 PM
That tool Bill Murray has probably never even been to Champaign, but being the media whore he is, he got courtside seats for the NCAA tournament.

Why bash Bill Murray? He's a comedic genius... seems like a great guy.... Just because he's a cub fan, you call him a tool and media whore? Thats just dumb.... I think that overeacting and childish name calling like that strips a lot of credibility from some posts on this board. Why get so bent out of shape about Bill Murray being a cub fan? I dont get it.

kittle42
09-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Why bash Bill Murray? He's a comedic genius... seems like a great guy.... Just because he's a cub fan, you call him a tool and media whore? Thats just dumb.... I think that overeacting and childish name calling like that strips a lot of credibility from some posts on this board. Why get so bent out of shape about Bill Murray being a cub fan? I dont get it.

I bet the politics/sports fandom/other personal beliefs/shoe size of many celebrities people like or dislike would surprise them if they actually found out.

This is why the above post is right on and why ranting and raving about the preferences of Bill Murray, Vince Vaughn, the Cusacks, Desmond Tutu, the Snuggle bear, and whoever else is silly.

SOXSINCE'70
09-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Dear Billy:

Your band sucks.

Your haircut sucks.

Your team allegiance sucks.

Sincerely,

1951Campbell

I think you nailed it quite well,Campbell.Congrats!!:cool:

1951Campbell
09-26-2005, 09:18 PM
I bet the politics/sports fandom/other personal beliefs/shoe size of many celebrities people like or dislike would surprise them if they actually found out.

This is why the above post is right on and why ranting and raving about the preferences of...Desmond Tutu and whoever else is silly.

Desmond Tutu? A bishop has to be a Cardinals or Padres fan. :D:

dakuda
09-26-2005, 10:20 PM
http://www.corganmedia.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=73

I mean, like these Sox fans—they're way too serious."

Brewski
09-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Heard him sing "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess at the 50th Anniversary bash for WTTW in Grant Park (no, I'm not kidding). Unbelievably, jaw-droppingly, embarrassingly bad. Don't let him near a mike unless he's being drowned out by guitars.