PDA

View Full Version : Game #1 Starter In Playoffs

kevingrt
09-21-2005, 09:27 AM
There has been a lot of discussion between me and my friends and Silvy and Carmen this morning on who should start game one of the playoffs, if we make it. Who should start game one of the playoffs?

I say Buehrle. We live and die by our #1. He started Opening Day, he started the All-Star Game. He should start game one. Buehrle has pitched in some big games the past four seasons and has been somewhat successful. From what I know Contreras has not been clutch, he was last weekend over the Twins, but at NY I don't think so.

Mark Buehrle has to be our #1, no doubts, what do you guys thinnk? Maybe Garland?

fusillirob1983
09-21-2005, 09:29 AM
From what I know Contreras has not been clutch, he was last weekend over the Twins, but at NY I don't think so.

Contreras dominated the Yankees in both his starts against them this year.

jshanahanjr
09-21-2005, 09:29 AM
Contreras, Garland, McCarthy, Contreras, Garland, McCarthy!

Clarkdog
09-21-2005, 09:35 AM
There has been a lot of discussion between me and my friends and Silvy and Carmen this morning on who should start game one of the playoffs, if we make it. Who should start game one of the playoffs?

I think Silvy and Carmen should focus on the games we have in front of us right now, all the talk about the playoffs in August is probably what put the Sox in the position they are in now.

The Cleveland series is a playoff series without the bunting, I can't believe they couldn't fill 3 hours of a braodcast simply talking about last nights game and tonight's.

Let's get there before we start thinking about who should pitch Game 1.

kevingrt
09-21-2005, 09:36 AM
I think Silvy and Carmen should focus on the games we have in front of us right now, all the talk about the playoffs in August is probably what put the Sox in the position they are in now.

The Cleveland series is a playoff series without the bunting, I can't believe they could fill 3 hours of a braodcast simply talking about last nights game and tonight's.

Let's get there before we start thinking about who should pitch Game 1.

I agree with you but you can't fill three hours of show with talk of one game, well you could but it's tough. BTW Hawk and North are talking about it now.

We know this game is huge but just syaing maybe?

CHIsoxNation
09-21-2005, 09:37 AM

:?:

Clarkdog
09-21-2005, 09:58 AM
I agree with you but you can't fill three hours of show with talk of one game, well you could but it's tough. BTW Hawk and North are talking about it now.

We know this game is huge but just syaing maybe?

If we're saying maybe then - Buehrle starts Game #1 if at home, Garcia if they are on the road.

The Dude
09-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Buehrle, Garland, Contreras, Garcia, Buehrle (for a 5 game) with Duque and BMac backing them all up.

The Dude
09-21-2005, 10:20 AM

:bong:

kevingrt
09-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Buehrle, Garland, Contreras, Garcia, Buehrle (for a 5 game) with Duque and BMac backing them all up.

I agree with you 100% The Dude. That is as of now... if anyone struggles mightily going down the stretch B-Mac or El Duque could take their spot.

Flight #24
09-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Bottom line: Buehrle looked bad last night, serving up cookies to guys with 2 strikes on them. And the "phantom strike" on Hafner saved him from probably another run. And that's when the team needed him most to sack up and deliver.

He's also looked bad the past couple of weeks. Unless he turns it around, he's actually become the guy I have possibly the least confidence of all our starters in. Garcia's close behind. If you can't pull it together in key games down the stretch aginst your primary rival, I don't have confidence that you can pull it together for the playoffs.

Yes, both have excellent track records and deserve better. But you know who deserves better more than they do: Sox fans. Contreras (assuming he keeps it up) has earned the game 1 start. After that, it's whoever among the "big3" is pitching the best, at the moment that's Garland.

kkappelk
09-21-2005, 10:50 AM
I have an even better question. Who pitches on Sunday October 2nd in Cleveland if we have a one game lead? Right now it would be McCarthy's turn in the rotation (assuming El Dukie is done).

tlebar318
09-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Our surprise game #1 starter.........Damaso Marte! :D:

toledosoxfan
09-21-2005, 10:59 AM
McCarthy still starts on Sunday 10-2.

The SOX will clinch at Detroit so the Cleveland series will be used to set up the rotation for the ALDS.

hawkjt
09-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Playoff rotation if we are there

Tues- Jose

Wed- JonnyG

Fri- Burls

Sat-Freddy

Sun-Jose

Flight #24
09-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Some interesting points for the month of September (so the standard sample size caveats apply):
Sox offense ranks 3d in OPS, 4th in HR, 8th in runs scored in all of baseball for the month
But they're 11th in ERA, 6th in WHIP, 18th in OPS-against.

The primary culprits:

Buehrle (4.97ERA / 1.58WHIP), Garcia (5.26 / 1.29), El Duque (8.25 / 2.08)

Marte (13.5 / 1.5), Hermanson (6.0 / 1.5)

Meanwhile, we have:

Contreras (2.22 / 1.09), Garland (3.13, 0.91:cool: )

Politte (1.04 / 1.04), Jenks (1.42 / 0.95)

Bottom line: if we start Contreras & Garland 1-2 in the playoffs and use Politte/Jenks as our primary relievers, I feel VERY good about our chances of being 2-0. The offense has been there, if we get the pitching, this team is as dangerous as any.

kevingrt
09-21-2005, 01:05 PM
McCarthy still starts on Sunday 10-2.

The SOX will clinch at Detroit so the Cleveland series will be used to set up the rotation for the ALDS.

I like the optimism and I pray you are correct.

Tues: Buehrle
Wed: Garland
Thurs: Contreras
Fri: Garcia/ McCarthy
Sun: Buehrle or Garland

rm0824
09-21-2005, 01:32 PM
It has to be Contreras no matter who we are facing. I would like McCarthy in there, but I'm not sure how a rookie would fare come playoff time. Therefore, you have to go w/the big 3 next.

gobears1987
09-21-2005, 01:33 PM
JC, especially against the Yankmees.

OEO Magglio
09-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Contreras
Buehrle
Garcia
Garland

Fuller_Schettman
09-21-2005, 05:47 PM
See this discussion... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57827)

It is as true now as it was way back "then".