PDA

View Full Version : I thought Cub Fans didn't care about Sox

PennStater98r
09-21-2005, 08:38 AM
It's just amazing what a bunch of hypocritical ***** Cub fans and the Tribune is.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050920haugh,1,5371874.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Here's a quote out of the article to give you an idea of it's theme:
"I'll admit, somewhere deep down, I hope the Sox lose," Creed said, laughing. "I'll be booing [Mark] Buehrle and rooting for the Indians."

cheeses_h_rice
09-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Oh, but did you get the tone of the article?

Nearly every single Cub fan of note quoted doesn't want the Sox to lose -- Bob Sirott, Scott Turow, Ernie Banks, Billy Corgan, Grant Deporter.

So, the message being conveyed is that Cub fans are classy, which is in obvious contrast to those mean Sox fans who wore Marlins jerseys in 2003.

The reality? I'd say that 30-40% of Cub fans would love to see the Sox lose. That's just a hunch, but I think I have a decent feel for the pulse of their fans.

This article was just more soft-shoe b.s. from the Cubune braintrust.

jdm2662
09-21-2005, 08:57 AM
I know a lot of Cub fans that want the Sox to lose. To say that all Cubs fan don't care about the Sox is a bunch of crap. The hatred is on both sides of town. Whether or not you want to argue on who's worse, thats a discussion for its own.

To note, Sox fans like Lou Caniles (sp?), Dan McNeil, Jonathon Hood, and Fred Heubner had also said in 2003 they weren't cheering for the Cubs to lose. Take it for what it's worth.

Uncle_Patrick
09-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Oh, but did you get the tone of the article?

Nearly every single Cub fan of note quoted doesn't want the Sox to lose -- Bob Sirott, Scott Turow, Ernie Banks, Billy Corgan, Grant Deporter.

So, the message being conveyed is that Cub fans are classy, which is in obvious contrast to those mean Sox fans who wore Marlins jerseys in 2003.

This is exactly the message I got from the article. Besides, WHO CARES WHAT CUBS FANS THINK? Why are so many Sox fans interested in what the Cubs and their fans do or say? Of course there are many Cubs fans who want the Sox to lose and a ready to celebrate if it happens? Some of these people think that Sox fans celebrating the Marlins NLCS victory in 2003 is on par with telling hurricane jokes in New Orleans. I'm not even exaggerating this. I've seen the posts on other message boards about how it was one of the "most despicable" things ever witnessed and proof that "Sox fans are utterly classless." Of course they are waiting for their chance to pounce. Big deal.

This article is trying to appeal to the vanity of Cubs fans. They like to think of themselves as better than those "trashy" Sox fans who are "more obsessed with the Cubs losing than the Sox winning." Hey, good for them, let them ignore us or let them root against us. Why should we care what they do? In the grand scheme of baseball right now, our team matters and their team doesn't.

chaerulez
09-21-2005, 11:32 AM
There were these Cubs fans sitting with Indians fans in the upper deck last night and they were being real obnoxious and kept saying choke. Someone should tell these morons we are still in first and the fact they have no shot at making the playoffs gives no grounds to talk.

DrCrawdad
09-21-2005, 06:03 PM
I know a lot of Cub fans that want the Sox to lose. To say that all Cubs fan don't care about the Sox is a bunch of crap. The hatred is on both sides of town. Whether or not you want to argue on who's worse, thats a discussion for its own.

To note, Sox fans like Lou Caniles (sp?), Dan McNeil, Jonathon Hood, and Fred Heubner had also said in 2003 they weren't cheering for the Cubs to lose. Take it for what it's worth.

I agree with Cheeses, and you're right JDM about McNeil, Hood, etc. What's revealing though is you only heard about the Sox fans who were rooting against the Cubs.

They can search out and interview those Cub fans who are not rooting against the Sox, but my experience says that their are a very large number of Cub fans who are in fact rooting against the Sox.

That Cubune article was just an indirect slam on Sox fans and a way to say how "classy" Cub fans are in comparison.

Nellie_Fox
09-21-2005, 10:55 PM
During the game last night, my wife came downstairs and said that her brother, a huge Cubs fan, had called, and said that he was cheering for the Sox, and that he really didn't want to see the Sox blow it.

I thought about it for a moment, then said "well, I know for a fact that I wouldn't feel that way if the shoe were on the other foot."

miker
09-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Oh, but did you get the tone of the article? Nearly every single Cub fan of note quoted doesn't want the Sox to lose
BULL ****!:angry: