PDA

View Full Version : Next 9 Games are Huge

Hangar18
09-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Winning TONITE (wednesday) is obviously imperative, but for more than we think. An Indian win puts them back to 2.5 out, and with the luxury of playing TB & KC for the next 7 games. Its safe to say and assume they will go 7-0 against these Pittsburgh Pirate-esque patsies. We play a significantly tougher Twin & Tiger team, and its very hard to say we will win all 7 against them. That is why it was sooooo important to the Tribe that they win at least 1 game here, setting up that last weekend in Cleveland Showdown. I cannot emphasize how important tonite and the next 9 are for the SOX.
We cannot go to Jacobs Field with less than a 3 game lead ..............

akingamongstmen
09-21-2005, 09:13 AM
The Tigers are playing terrible baseball right now. We just need to take care of business.

mike squires
09-21-2005, 09:15 AM
With it being so close, you are right, all these games are huge. It may even come down to that Tiger series. If we can go into that last series against Cleveland 4 games up we go it made! I'll be pumped again toinght...

Cat Thief
09-21-2005, 09:20 AM
The Sox will have a better record that the Tribe for the remainder of the season.

Sox 8-4
Tribe 6-5

If we can go into that last series against Cleveland 4 games up we go it made!

Yeah that would probably get it done.

:drunken:

doublem23
09-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Bla bla bla... The Tigers are awful and the Twins just shut down Brad Radke and Shannon Stewart for the year.

If the Sox win tonight, wrap this one up and start printing t-shirts.

arbutron
09-21-2005, 09:36 AM
We win tonight & its over.

Bring Pappy to the Booth in '06!!!!!

Holy Schlitz! Papi's rant's today were claaasic....

"If theres anyone you can look at and just tell....Travis Haffner's got muscles bulgin' out his ears for cryin' out loud!"

"DJ is Mr. Stating the Obvious"

elrod
09-21-2005, 09:44 AM
The Tigers are the worst team in the American League right now. They are worse than the Royals or the Devil Rays. They completely gave up. Frankly, I think their performance down the stretch is much worse than the 2003 team that had no talent. Trammell should be fired for letting his team give up this way. Note that Buddy Bell hasn't let the Royals fold their tent yet. Nor Lou Pinniella in Tampa Bay.

The Twins were just eliminated from the division race for the first time since 2002. Not since 2000 will they be eliminated in the stretch run (they were close in 2001 as well). If not for Santana going on Thursday, the Sox could sweep that series.

Tonight's game is huge, though. If we win tonight, we have a great chance to beat Santana and roll right on through. If we lose, we are back to biting nails, churning stomachs and out-of-town scores.

34 Inch Stick
09-21-2005, 10:07 AM
I will be ready to call this thing over if we win tonight and tomorrow. However, that is a very tall order with Santana on Thursday (I have no doubt the Sox win tonight).

By the way, has anyone noticed that the two best pitching teams in the AL are giving up a lot of runs in the late innings? Is this an indication of a lack of experience in playoff atmoshphere baseball for both sides?

daveeym
09-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Quit padding your posting stats Hangar. master of the obvious. We have plenty of time after these nine games, they don't mean ****.

BeviBall!
09-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Tonight is so huge. Win and and relax... lose and it's pins & needles the rest of the way.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Tonight's pitching match-up HUGELY favors our Sox. I don't think our offense will have any problem with Elarton. Garland's in line for a win today...He STILL can get to 20, but must win out.

As long as Ozzie keeps a consistent lineup out there, I will have no worries.

Here's hoping that the last series against Cleveland will be meaningless.

Dan H
09-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Tuesday night was a great win, but some are already acting like the division is won. It isn't, though I am feeling much better. Fact is with the season winding down, every game is huge. I don't think we can assume that the Indians will win all the game against KC and TB. We Sox fans are already smart enough to know the Sox need to take care of their business without worrying about the scoreboard.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2005, 10:40 AM
I don't think we can assume that the Indians will win all the game against KC and TB.

Especially considering TB beat Boston, who's a far better team than Cleveland, and KC has been winning several games of late. Both teams aren't going to roll over for Cleveland. Playing KC at Kauffman isn't as easy as at the Jake, and Tampa can get up for a road game. I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland lost 2 or 3 of those games.

mike squires
09-21-2005, 10:44 AM
The Sox will have a better record that the Tribe for the remainder of the season.

Sox 8-4
Tribe 6-5

Yeah that would probably get it done.

:drunken:

Oops, yeah I guess we would hvae it wrapped up by then huh...:tongue:

White Sox Randy
09-21-2005, 10:51 AM
The Tigers are playing terrible baseball right now. We just need to take care of business.

Yeah, that will be easy - just like that terrible team they just played and whipped...the uh....Royals.

sorry should have used teal

Flight #24
09-21-2005, 10:51 AM
As noted, the D-Rays are playing some pretty decent ball these days. And if the Sox exit the series with only 2.5 game lead and go 5-3 v. Twins/Tigers (which is conservative given the Tigers suckinesss and the Twins basically playing their AAA team), anything LESS than 6-1 by the Indians would require them to sweep the last 3 to win the division. Possible - yes, but the pressure is all on them. And with the Yanks only .5 back of them, they also have a ton of pressure to just make the playoffs.

So far, they've been playing somewhat pressure-free and on a roll. All of a sudden, they were virtually anointed the favorites by the media to win the division (despite not actually leading it) - to go from that to possibly not making the postseason is a burden on them.

And if the Sox go 6-2 or 7-1, the division is over. And that's as likely as the Tribe going 6-1.

CHISOXFAN13
09-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Winning TONITE (wednesday) is obviously imperative, but for more than we think. An Indian win puts them back to 2.5 out, and with the luxury of playing TB & KC for the next 7 games. Its safe to say and assume they will go 7-0 against these Pittsburgh Pirate-esque patsies. We play a significantly tougher Twin & Tiger team, and its very hard to say we will win all 7 against them. That is why it was sooooo important to the Tribe that they win at least 1 game here, setting up that last weekend in Cleveland Showdown. I cannot emphasize how important tonite and the next 9 are for the SOX.
We cannot go to Jacobs Field with less than a 3 game lead ..............

KC is better than Detroit right now. And I believe Tampa will get at least one win at the Jake.

TDog
09-21-2005, 12:16 PM
KC has been beating up on Detroit this week. The Royals are showing they have some pride. I don't know if that will mean two or three wins against the Tribe, or even one. The hope is there. But it isn't the only hope for the Sox. The remaining games have to be played. The trick is not losing.

The White Sox have 59 losses. The Indians, Yankees and Red Sox all have 64. Angels have 65. A's have 67. If the Sox and Tribe finish tied with the fewest losses in the league, the White Sox win the division. But the list of ifs are long. If five or six teams finished with 67 losses, postseason be a mess for baseball (as well as a White Sox fan's nightmare), but I haven't figured out if that's even possible. As things now stand, the White Sox are the team that doesn't have to depend on teams losing in other cities to reach the postseason. Three more eight-game winning streaks would probably satisfy even the darkest cloud among us.

This is the most interesting AL race since 1967. And as most of us know, those American League doormats didn't just roll over and played dead the last week of the season.

TheOldRoman
09-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Winning TONITE (wednesday) is obviously imperative, but for more than we think. An Indian win puts them back to 2.5 out, and with the luxury of playing TB & KC for the next 7 games. Its safe to say and assume they will go 7-0 against these Pittsburgh Pirate-esque patsies.
Hangar, why wont you and Lip realize that Tampa is one of the best teams in baseball over the second half? They are playing good baseball. During Cleveland's "epic run" they lost 4 of 6 to the DEVIL RAYS. Tampa may not have anything to play for, but I am sure as hell glad we arent playing them now.

mweflen
09-21-2005, 12:43 PM
"Next Nine Games Are Huge."

Well, DUH.

What's next, a thread titled "Sox Need to win more than Cleveland?"

:tongue:

Correct me if I'm wrong - but if we go into CLE with more than a 3 game lead, we've already clinched.

Hangar18
09-21-2005, 12:47 PM
"Next Nine Games Are Huge."

Well, DUH.

What's next, a thread titled "Sox Need to win more than Cleveland?"

:tongue:

In other words, we cannot win this series, just to win 2 of our next 8 against
Minnesota and Detroit ........

mweflen
09-21-2005, 12:49 PM
In other words, we cannot win this series, just to win 2 of our next 8 against
Minnesota and Detroit ........

eh?:?:

voodoochile
09-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Actually, we possibly could go 2-6 or whatever against the Royals and Twinkies if we win tonight.

Win tonight the Magic number drops to 7.

Two more wins it drops to 5.

That means even if Cleveland wins every game between now and the final weekend (something they probably won't do), the Sox would merely have to win 3 of 4 in Ohio to clinch the division. Yes, it would be nice not to have to win the final series of the season to win the division, but it would still be doable.

Likely scenario is the Toons lose a couple over the next week too, so that would put the magic number at 3 over the final weekend and a split would seal the division.

That's before even talking about the NY/Bos schedule. Since they finish the season playing each other, the Sox can do NO worse than pick up 2 on the WC magic number and possibly as well as 3, so unless those teams also win out, the Sox are almost a shoe in for the WC if they merely win tonight. Of course it almost becomes moot if the Sox win tonight and then win 4 of the next 7. That pretty much ends ANY chance of them missing the playoffs. At the worst they would be guaranteed a one game playoff for the WC slot...

Lip Man 1
09-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Let's worry about winning today's game first. If the Sox can, then worry about Santana and his 0.81 ERA vs. the Sox in his last six starts against them Thursday.

One game at a time folks or next week won't matter.

By the way, Mays has replaced Radke in the rotation Saturday.

Lip