PDA

View Full Version : Jayson Stark on the Sox/Tribe

Domeshot17
09-21-2005, 02:49 AM
I am normally not a very big Stark Fan, I think he is one of the less bias writers, but still pretty bad. However, in summing up these first 2 games, He wrote this mini paragraph, and it struck me as one of the single greatest baseball qoutes I have ever read

"No other sport gives us anything remotely resembling the drama that White Sox-Indians has become -- and then drags those two teams out to the same intersection and makes them play each other three nights in a row. And after watching two sensational duels between these warriors in a row, we're now eternally grateful for that"

The rest of the article was very bland, same ole If the sox win they don't choke and have a great year and no one remembers how big the lead was because it does not matter, but if they lose it its a huge choke blah blah, but that one qoute, its so true, its why 26,000 people were on the feat, on the verge of a heart attack for 4 hours and a ton more at home.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2167688

spongyfungy
09-21-2005, 03:13 AM
By Jayson Stark
ESPN.com
Archive (http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://search.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=jayson_stark&name=SEARCH_storyArchive&srvc=sz)

CHICAGO -- A funny thing happened Tuesday night to the Collapse of the Century.

Hey...he was there. good for him. He even referenced Mariotti's title:

And that subplot could be summed up by some of the sympathetic headlines the White Sox awoke Tuesday morning to find splattered all over their local newspapers -- headlines, for instance, like this:

NOW PLAYING IN CHICAGO: CHOKE-JOB THEATER (Sun-Times)

Very touching.

patbooyah
09-21-2005, 03:25 AM
i didn't think it was a bland article, considering that he is writing for a national audience. nice ozzie quote, rowand kudos, etc, etc..

i liked the third page when he talked about how important joe's hit was in terms of the entire team's careers.

my favorite part, however, is that he made it seem like the skid is over. :cool:

Mr. White Sox
09-21-2005, 03:48 AM
Normally not a big fan of this guy, but this (neutral?) article really shows how much this series means to the Sox. Screw the BoSox/Yankees fight; this one has more pop.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2167688&num=0)

ChiSoxBobette
09-21-2005, 07:09 AM
I am normally not a very big Stark Fan, I think he is one of the less bias writers, but still pretty bad. However, in summing up these first 2 games, He wrote this mini paragraph, and it struck me as one of the single greatest baseball qoutes I have ever read

"No other sport gives us anything remotely resembling the drama that White Sox-Indians has become -- and then drags those two teams out to the same intersection and makes them play each other three nights in a row. And after watching two sensational duels between these warriors in a row, we're now eternally grateful for that"

The rest of the article was very bland, same ole If the sox win they don't choke and have a great year and no one remembers how big the lead was because it does not matter, but if they lose it its a huge choke blah blah, but that one qoute, its so true, its why 26,000 people were on the feat, on the verge of a heart attack for 4 hours and a ton more at home.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2167688

Jayson Stark and for that matter anyone who writes about baseball for espn

SUCKS!

mweflen
09-21-2005, 12:40 PM
I thought it was a fine article. But Stark is still a tool. He's been bad-mouthing the sox all year. Oh wait. Maybe that's Neyer. I can't keep these East-coast SPorts Network stooges straight.

daveeym
09-21-2005, 01:10 PM
I thought it was a fine article. But Stark is still a tool. He's been bad-mouthing the sox all year. Oh wait. Maybe that's Neyer. I can't keep these East-coast SPorts Network stooges straight. Totally agree with everything you said, I swear someone just posted an article from him yesterday tearing us a new one and then having 2 pages of numbers backing it.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2005, 01:44 PM
I thought it was outstanding putting everything into proper context.

Lip

kevingrt
09-21-2005, 02:01 PM
I like how Stark noticed that the Sun-Times is going crazy and Mariotti is a friggin IDIOT. I have always appreciated Starks reporting because he actually attends the games and doesn't have the same East Coast bias in all of his reporting. The article was a little bland but that quote was pretty damn good.

Iwritecode
09-21-2005, 02:15 PM
I like how Stark noticed that the Sun-Times is going crazy and Mariotti is a friggin IDIOT.

Yep. I think if he could've put the "touching" in teal, he would have. :D:

I also like this quote that pretty much sums up everything:

As long as they win this division, no one will ever remember how many games these White Sox used to lead by.

gobears1987
09-21-2005, 02:40 PM
I don't like Stark much or his prediction that the Twinkies would win it all, but on his prediction does prove something. He isn't centered only on the BlowSawx and Yankmes, he at least thinks there is good baseball in the Central and acknowledges it.

Mohoney
09-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Read the AJ quotes. Awesome stuff from a guy that might be on the verge of busting out offensively.

hawkjt
09-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Caught stark on espnnews doing a preview of tonites game and he reiterated how amazed he was at the negative press in this town. Said the suntimes and trib devout the bulk of coverage to cubs except when they can get negative about the sox.

Also said that the last two games were best of the season.

miker
09-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Caught stark on espnnews doing a preview of tonites game and he reiterated how amazed he was at the negative press in this town. Said the suntimes and trib devout the bulk of coverage to cubs except when they can get negative about the sox.

Also said that the last two games were best of the season.
J. Stark, welcome to the bandwagon, although not the most popular bandwagon in town!:rolleyes: