PDA

View Full Version : Barry: "Congress is wasting it time"

ode to veeck
09-21-2005, 02:17 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2167567

Hard to believe, except I saw exerpts from it on the late night sportsline

I'd say getta clue but I know what we're dealing with here. Meanwhile, nothing short of Tonya Harding' boyfriend or a liftime asterisk is gonna stop Barry, who has been tattering balls since his return.

Regardless of what a jerk you think he is, the man can just crush a baseball, as he did like no other has so far in the Nats stadium, well into the far reaches of the upper deck last night

Sox Blue 69-70
09-21-2005, 09:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2167567

Hard to believe, except I saw exerpts from it on the late night sportsline

I'd say getta clue but I know what we're dealing with here. Meanwhile, nothing short of Tonya Harding' boyfriend or a liftime asterisk is gonna stop Barry, who has been tattering balls since his return.

Regardless of what a jerk you think he is, the man can just crush a baseball, as he did like no other has so far in the Nats stadium, well into the far reaches of the upper deck last night

I've seen old footage and read that Frank Howard hit a few like that in RFK in his day, too. Can you imagine how far HE would've hit them had he been on the juice, too?

Further to the point, the non-stop use of superlatives and deification of this cheater/liar gets very annoying.

cheeses_h_rice
09-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Barry, hate to break it to you, but Congress can walk AND chew gum at the same time, you moonfaced, Easter-Island-idol-headed arrogant POS.

PennStater98r
09-21-2005, 10:22 AM
You know - if a pitcher were to just plunk him in the side of the head, maybe the pitch would knock some sense in to this moron.

His shushing of the crowd was ridiculous. I'd love to see him tested for steroids - come up positive and booted from the sport forever.

daveeym
09-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Barry, hate to break it to you, but Congress can walk AND chew gum at the same time, you moonfaced, Easter-Island-idol-headed arrogant POS. That was the best line I've read in a long time, made me just quiver in an-TICIPATION of him getting his. Reminded me of Capone in The Untouchables. Talking smack like he's innocent and the big bad feds are after him.

chaerulez
09-21-2005, 12:34 PM
With that logic we shouldn't be playing sports. Or at the very least, no teams in the region affected by the hurricane should be playing sports. Because they could be raising money and helping out. Bonds was also quick to get on everyone's case about how much they have donated to the cause. I'd like to know how much he's donated. 1 million dollars? I think it's safe to say he probably has at least 10-15 million in the bank, and probably triple that in total assets/investments.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-21-2005, 12:45 PM
That was the best line I've read in a long time, made me just quiver in an-TICIPATION of him getting his. Reminded me of Capone in The Untouchables. Talking smack like he's innocent and the big bad feds are after him.

I agree. MLB has treated Bonds with kid gloves so far, but if Congress starts putting pressure on Selig, WATCH OUT! Selig will fold like a cheap lawnchair. Fehr, too.

Congress has their ears up on this issue, thanks to Palmiero's finger-wagging denial last March. Congressmen do not like being made fools of. Barry Bonds would be well-served to keep his big mouth shut, especially as it relates to Congress.

The fact Bonds hasn't kept his mouth shut tells me he is still in HUGE denial about how serious his current situation truly is. The final episode has not been written about Barry and steroids.

He'll **** up. You can take that prediction to the bank. The only real question is how much will his **** up cost him. If it costs him the home run record, that's a mighty steep price to pay.

Couldn't happen to nicer guy, either.
:cool:

jerry myers
09-24-2005, 11:01 PM
bonds is a very good hitter, but his past, attitude, just him i have no interest, i dont think im alone at all. but if he breakes record , who cares i dont believe it .wont accept it ever.just tired of all the barry crap.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-24-2005, 11:37 PM
I have 30 comments on this:

http://www.morphosis.org/identity/images/asterisk/asteriskinterface2.gif

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2005, 12:37 AM
I agree. MLB has treated Bonds with kid gloves so far, but if Congress starts putting pressure on Selig, WATCH OUT! Selig will fold like a cheap lawnchair. Fehr, too.

Congress has their ears up on this issue, thanks to Palmiero's finger-wagging denial last March. Congressmen do not like being made fools of. Barry Bonds would be well-served to keep his big mouth shut, especially as it relates to Congress.

The fact Bonds hasn't kept his mouth shut tells me he is still in HUGE denial about how serious his current situation truly is. The final episode has not been written about Barry and steroids.

He'll **** up. You can take that prediction to the bank. The only real question is how much will his **** up cost him. If it costs him the home run record, that's a mighty steep price to pay.

Couldn't happen to nicer guy, either.
:cool:I wish I was that sure of it, but I think there's a better than even chance he'll skate.:angry: MLB is not going to start testing for all the stuff he's using - the MLBPA will see to that. Unless they can get him for lying to the grand jury, or unless someone starts singing, I don't see how he gets nailed.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-25-2005, 09:59 AM
I wish I was that sure of it, but I think there's a better than even chance he'll skate.:angry: MLB is not going to start testing for all the stuff he's using - the MLBPA will see to that. Unless they can get him for lying to the grand jury, or unless someone starts singing, I don't see how he gets nailed.

Buck up, No. 2. If Barry was keeping his mouth shut and otherwise hiding his steroid use like a certain Dominican ballplayer, I'm sure he would skate just like that Dominican likely will. Scammin' Shammy isn't provoking anyone and I'm sure everyone in MLB and Congress is happy to ignore the giant lump swept under the carpet, the Pink Elephant inside the room, and Sammy's enormous jawline. Let sleeping dogs lie...

:nandrolone
"Beisbol been de best to meh. See you in Japan next year!"

Barry is taking exactly the opposite tack. Not only is he claiming innocence after confessing to a grand jury, he is challenging reporters to prove he took steroids, and telling Congress to butt out. Barry doesn't think he'll get caught and that's why Barry WILL get caught. He's taking unnecessary chances.

Either somebody will rat him out or he'll be placed in a compromised position, like McGwire falling all over himself in front of Congress, to make his little house of cards to topple over like so many tubes of the Clear stacked ten-high by former mistresses buying "flaxseed oil" at Safeway.

Unlike any other major sport, baseball has a long history of tearing down its biggest idols. Barry Bonds will not be spared.

CallMeNuts
09-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Barry is right: Congress IS wasting its time.

Whenever a higher authority has to step in to do the job that a lower authority has chosen not to do, that higher authority is wasting its time. And the blame is on the lower authority. And Congress should be rightfully annoyed (with the lower authority) to be spending its time monitoring the actions of a GAME, when it certainly has better things to do with its time.

But when the lower authority (MLB Commissioner's office) won't do its job, higher authorities (the government) CAN step in. And since MLB accepts its anti-trust exemption from Congress, it subjects itself to greater Congressional oversight.

So you're right Barry. The cop on the beat should have busted you, instead of a Fed. But either way . . . you're busted!

ode to veeck
09-25-2005, 10:15 AM
PHG wrote: Not only is he claiming innocence after confessing to a grand jury, he is challenging reporters to prove he took steroids, and telling Congress to butt out. Barry doesn't think he'll get caught and that's why Barry WILL get caught. <...>
Unlike any other major sport, baseball has a long history of tearing down its biggest idols. Barry Bonds will not be spared.

Two big things here: (1) don't taunt/challenge Congress, they could make just about anything happen, directly or indirectly, and (2) at this point all bets based precedents and legal history are off, because at this level of observability/national consciousness it is reall about perception, and Barry's totally mismanaging that very critical aspect of the situation, which could bring him down in any number of ways ... some of which PHG pointed out

ode to veeck
09-25-2005, 10:16 AM
And since MLB accepts its anti-trust exemption from Congress, it subjects itself to greater Congressional oversight.

If the whole steroids issue would somehow lead to the ending of that ridiculaous situation, it would be a major step in the right direction for baseball

CallMeNuts
09-25-2005, 10:19 AM
If the whole steroids issue would somehow lead to the ending of that ridiculaous situation, it would be a major step in the right direction for baseball

Amen.

Daver
09-25-2005, 11:46 AM

Not really, MLB would be a complete mess without it.