PDA

View Full Version : Great Article

DVG
12-05-2001, 12:04 AM
A great front-page article by Dan Helpingstine and a rather depressing one, I might add. He's correct when he states that
the Sox fan base is shrinking and that the team is not forging its
own identity. Of course, the White Sox have had scorn heaped
on them from the baseball world when they do manage to carve out a niche.
I remember the 1970's, when Harry Caray's 7th inning stretch
rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" was derided as being
part of the "circus atmosphere" of Comiskey Park. When Harry took his circus act up north, suddenly the purists looked around,
saw vines, sunshine and Harry singing and solemnly intoned that "this is what baseball is all about."
Dan also writes that the Sox are borrowing a page from the Cubs in putting foliage in center field. I recall an article in which
Jay Mariotti, heaping his usual abuse on the Sox, suggested that
they send royalty payments to the Cubs for it. Why, what a great
idea! I'm all for it. First, though, I suggest that the Cubs send roy-
alty payments to the White Sox for all of their "star-studded" cele-
brity renditions of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." The Sox not only started the tradition, they also introduced the concept of
"guest singers" for a short time after Harry took his Bud up north.
While they are at it, every time Sammy comes out of the dugout
to doff his cap at his fans following a home run, the Cubs could
send a royalty check to Richie Zisk and Oscar Gamble.
The only comfort I can take now (cold comfort, to be sure) is that the team has been down before and always bounced back. In 1969 the current owner of the Brewers Mr. Bud Selig almost
bought the Sox and made them the Brewers. In 1975 Walter Mitty himself, Danny Kaye, nearly bought the team and moved them to Seattle. Then there was the great stadium crisis of 1988.
The Sox survived every time. The future looks bleak with the curr-
ent stadium issue, declining attendance and scorn from the media.
All I can say right now is, hopefully history will repeat itself and the White Sox will survive, rise and thrive. Hopefully.

Soxboyrob
12-05-2001, 10:26 AM
What's really quite sad is that not only is the team not really securing a solid identity of its own, it's failing to provide even a glimmer of excitement for the actual avid fans of the team. In my 35 years of cheering for this club, I've never felt less excited about an approaching season than I currently am. It's clear that we have a number of talented a players and a "supposedly" talented, young pitching staff. But the Sox organization has made a point of coming out and letting us know not to be expecting any moves to improve the club in the offseason, other than the possible acquisition of a low tier backup like Brady Anderson or someone similar. This team has shown it is not currently world series material.

For some reason, this organization has shown a continual reluctance to move some of our young prospects for actual talent. It just appears that the Sox organization is happier having a young team w/ a bright future than actually winning something. I've become quite jaded and somewhat depressed w/ the path this club has taken and continues to take. Can anyone snap me out of this Sox malaise? I need something to be excited about. Right now in my world, the Sox glass is not only half empty. It's tipped over and spilled. Somebody help.

FarWestChicago
12-05-2001, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Can anyone snap me out of this Sox malaise? I need something to be excited about. Right now in my world, the Sox glass is not only half empty. It's tipped over and spilled. Somebody help. I'm thinking, Soxboy. I'll let you know when I come up with something. :(:

cheeses_h_rice
12-05-2001, 12:44 PM
*Love* the addendum to your .sig, FWC. A nice double entendre!

FarWestChicago
12-05-2001, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
*Love* the addendum to your .sig, FWC. A nice double entendre! Thanks, Cheeses. :smile:

Paulwny
12-05-2001, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

For some reason, this organization has shown a continual reluctance to move some of our young prospects for actual talent. It just appears that the Sox organization is happier having a young team w/ a bright future than actually winning something .

Young prospects for actual talent, the bottom line for JR, actual talent means a big $$, long term contract.
We've come a long way, JR was committed to winning when he first bought the sox. He acquired people like Fisk, Luzinski, Cruz and Kemp. He spent money to close holes in the team. For some reason the bottom line appears to be his only concern.
I guess he thinks the sox can go on a run similar to the young team of the early 90's.
Since we're in a weak division winning it with this team is possible, the play-offs are another story.