PDA

View Full Version : Diana Taurasi on the White Sox: "Is that a team?"

cheeses_h_rice
09-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Giangreco just showed a clip of the aforementioned WNBA "star" from the Phoenix WNBA team on hand to introduce the new WNBA franchise to Chicago. She said about Chicago, "It's a great sports town...we got the Cubs, we got Illinois..." then she trailed off as if she couldn't think of any other sports teams in the area, and was greeted with shouts of "What about the White Sox?!?" To which she replied, cluelessly, "Is that a team?"

Seriously. The Bulls, the Bears AND the White Sox all eluded her?

I guess I can look forward to 2009 or so, when people can say, "The WNBA? Is that a league?"

samram
09-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Giangreco just showed a clip of the aforementioned WNBA "star" from the Phoenix WNBA team on hand to introduce the new WNBA franchise to Chicago. She said about Chicago, "It's a great sports town...we got the Cubs, we got Illinois..." then she trailed off as if she couldn't think of any other sports teams in the area, and was greeted with shouts of "What about the White Sox?!?" To which she replied, cluelessly, "Is that a team?"

I guess I can look forward to 2009 or so, when people can say, "The WNBA? Is that a league?"

2009? People say that now. Must have been checking brains at the door of the press conference or whatever they had.

maurice
09-20-2005, 06:38 PM

Why wait? I'll say that right now. In terms of popularity, the WNBA makes the post-strike NHL look like the NFL.

Seriously, how many people have ever heard of Diana Taurasi? I bet if I ask the next 100 people I see to tell me what Diana Taurasi does for a living, none of them will know.

Soxfanspcu11
09-20-2005, 06:39 PM
She is an idiot, plain and simple.

You think someone that looked like a horse would develop other social skills and perhaps know more about the third largest city in the country, but then again, maybe im old fashioned:rolleyes:

cheeses_h_rice
09-20-2005, 06:43 PM
I knew who she was; the New Yorker published a long profile on her a year or two ago.

The thing that seemed unbelievable to me is that a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE could be so clueless about other sports besides her own that she couldn't even name the 6-time champion Bulls (who play the same sport as her...but maybe WNBA players have been instructed not to talk about the NBA) or the freaking Bears. I mean, I can see if the White Sox's name eluded her, but then to not even know that they're a professional baseball team...sheesh.

maurice
09-20-2005, 06:46 PM
I knew who she was; the New Yorker published a long profile on her a year or two ago.

Articles like that explain why I don't subscribe to the New Yorker. :cool:

hsnterprize
09-20-2005, 06:51 PM

I can honestly say that if it weren't for the "N-B-A" in WNBA, that league would be another casualty in the world of women's pro sports.

And to think...all the players are required to have graduated college before being eligible to play in the league. I guess there's some smarts you can't get at UConn.

credefan24
09-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Who is Diana Turaisi? Seriously, who is she?

MarySwiss
09-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Giangreco just showed a clip of the aforementioned WNBA "star" from the Phoenix WNBA team on hand to introduce the new WNBA franchise to Chicago. She said about Chicago, "It's a great sports town...we got the Cubs, we got Illinois..." then she trailed off as if she couldn't think of any other sports teams in the area, and was greeted with shouts of "What about the White Sox?!?" To which she replied, cluelessly, "Is that a team?" Seriously. The Bulls, the Bears AND the White Sox all eluded her?

Clueless, eh? Maybe she's a Cub fan. :rolleyes:

santo=dorf
09-20-2005, 07:11 PM

She kinda looks like a T-Rex and talks with a deep voice.

:everett:
"I don't recall seeing Diana Turaisi in the Bible."

cheeses_h_rice
09-20-2005, 07:14 PM

She was a hot**** college b-ball player at UConn. I haven't heard anything about her since she graduated, lending further credence to the notion that the WNBA is a doomed idea.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2005, 07:28 PM
The Chicago franchise will be out of business in two years. There is a reason why Uncle Jerry wanted nothing to do with a WNBA franchise despite repeated pleas from David Stern and the WNBA folks.

This is a friggin' joke.

Lip

SOXfnNlansing
09-20-2005, 07:30 PM
I guess I can look forward to 2009 or so, when people can say, "The WNBA? Is that a league?" people have already been saying that for 10 years

Dick Allen
09-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Unfortunately, I know who she is because she was on UConn's title team. Because of the proximity, ESPN basically shoved her down our throats. Actually, she looks like one of the goons from the old Popeye cartoons.

RadioheadRocks
09-20-2005, 07:48 PM
http://www.sallad.net/blog/loser-thumb.jpg (http://www.sallad.net/blog/loser.jpg) This just about says it all!!!

MarySwiss
09-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Look, I don't care about the WNBA. And I don't care about Diana Taurasi. That was a dumb thing to say and hanging her out to dry for it is one thing. However, bashing the WNBA because of it is another.

The simple truth is, there are a lot of professional athletes who say dumb things. Although I am both an athlete and a sports fan, I've never been to a WNBA game because it just doesn't interest me; basketball is not one of my favorite sports. But I am not bothered by the very fact that the league exists. It has its small following, so why not just let it be what it is?

NardiWasHere
09-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Look, I don't care about the WNBA. And I don't care about Diana Taurasi. That was a dumb thing to say and hanging her out to dry for it is one thing. However, bashing the WNBA because of it is another.

The simple truth is, there are a lot of professional athletes who say dumb things. Although I am both an athlete and a sports fan, I've never been to a WNBA game because it just doesn't interest me; basketball is not one of my favorite sports. But I am not bothered by the very fact that the league exists. It has its small following, so why not just let it be what it is?

If the WNBA wants to be, i doubt anyone cares. But the reason I think people get so irratated with it is because NBA, NBC, and others try to force it down sportsfans throats. Besides, its horrible basketball.

buehrle4cy05
09-20-2005, 08:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/shingotime10/StewieWNBA.gif
"You see, this is why nobody respects the WNBA."

:redneck

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-20-2005, 09:51 PM
I guess I can look forward to 2009 or so, when people can say, "The WNBA? WAS that a league?"

Fixed your quote for you.

1951Campbell
09-20-2005, 10:17 PM
But I am not bothered by the very fact that the league exists. It has its small following, so why not just let it be what it is?

David Stern pushes that crappy league on everyone knowing that no one in a position of power at the networks will have the guts to say that no one wants to see women who can't dunk play 41-38 basketball games, no one wants to be sexist, etc. ESPN is showing the WNBA tonight when I, an out-of-market Sox fan, could be watching the Sox if ESPN had picked up the game. And that's why people hate the WNBA.

SOXintheBURGH
09-21-2005, 12:14 AM

That just made me spit beer across the room. :o:

MarySwiss
09-21-2005, 12:24 AM
David Stern pushes that crappy league on everyone knowing that no one in a position of power at the networks will have the guts to say that no one wants to see women who can't dunk play 41-38 basketball games, no one wants to be sexist, etc. ESPN is showing the WNBA tonight when I, an out-of-market Sox fan, could be watching the Sox if ESPN had picked up the game. And that's why people hate the WNBA.

And you, as an out-of-market Sox fan could do what I did, i.e., purchase the MLB package. Would you be as outraged if there was--oh, I don't know--a prize fight on instead of the Sox game? But there I go, making sexist assumptions again! Remind you of anyone?

Let me try this one more time: you are comparing apples and oranges. Women can't dunk? So what? Pay close attention here: women's sports and men's sports are different BECAUSE WOMEN AND MEN ARE DIFFERENT.

I am a competitive volleyball player, have played it since I was a kid. I play women's volleyball and co-rec volleyball. On my women's team, I am a hitter; on my co-rec team, I am a setter. Why? Higher net = two different games. But neither is more nor less important than the other. (BTW, my husband prefers to watch the women's game because it usually features longer rallies; men's game are mostly EAT MY SPIKE-type games. Lots of power, very little finesse.)

So what am I saying? I'm saying that sport is beautiful. And that there's a place in sport for everybody. And whether you like it or not, that includes women. Deal with it.

Rant over; Sox win! AND THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!

Lip Man 1
09-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Mary:

Having worked in Louisiana for 12 years among the teams I covered on a regular basis were the Lady Techsters of Louisiana Tech and their great coach Leon Barmore. I've covered the Women's Final Four, seen Pat Summitt with Tennessee, played one on one with Kim Mulkey and seen Cheryl Miller at her best.

I can tell you the WNBA is garbage compared to the top women's college teams. If you want to watch women's basketball that badly, that is where you should spend your money.

Lip

samram
09-21-2005, 12:43 AM
And you, as an out-of-market Sox fan could do what I did, i.e., purchase the MLB package. Would you be as outraged if there was--oh, I don't know--a prize fight on instead of the Sox game? But there I go, making sexist assumptions again! Remind you of anyone?

Let me try this one more time: you are comparing apples and oranges. Women can't dunk? So what? Pay close attention here: women's sports and men's sports are different BECAUSE WOMEN AND MEN ARE DIFFERENT.

I am a competitive volleyball player, have played it since I was a kid. I play women's volleyball and co-rec volleyball. On my women's team, I am a hitter; on my co-rec team, I am a setter. Why? Higher net = two different games. But neither is more nor less important than the other. (BTW, my husband prefers to watch the women's game because it usually features longer rallies; men's game are mostly EAT MY SPIKE-type games. Lots of power, very little finesse.)

So what am I saying? I'm saying that sport is beautiful. And that there's a place in sport for everybody. And whether you like it or not, that includes women. Deal with it.

Rant over; Sox win! AND THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!

Yes, there's a spot for everybody in sports. However, the argument isn't over whether the WNBA or women's basketball should exist. The problem is that Stern guilt-trips and strong-arms ESPN into showing a sport that draws very little interest. If it wasn't for those tactics, the WNBA would be where hockey is, and deservedly so.

MarySwiss
09-21-2005, 01:11 AM
Mary:

Having worked in Louisiana for 12 years among the teams I covered on a regular basis were the Lady Techsters of Louisiana Tech and their great coach Leon Barmore. I've covered the Women's Final Four, seen Pat Summitt with Tennessee, played one on one with Kim Mulkey and seen Cheryl Miller at her best.

I can tell you the WNBA is garbage compared to the top women's college teams. If you want to watch women's basketball that badly, that is where you should spend your money.

Lip

Lip,
Please re-read my earlier posts and stop twisting my words. Not only did I not say I wanted to watch women's basketball, I specifically said it's not an area of interest to me. My point was--and is--that those who have a problem with women in sport should just recognize that it is THEIR PROBLEM.

I know all about Pat Summitt and Cheryl Miller, and I admire them. But understand this: I am a woman athlete who was in high school in the '70s, who lettered in four sports (and was also a cheerleader), and who remembers the not-so-good old days when the boys got new unis every year (and we inherited their used basketballs and played in our gym suits), when we only got to use the gym when the boys weren't using it, when the school chartered buses to take the boys to games (and we rode the CTA at our own expense), and when the only reason I remained an athlete after high school was because my school had a coach--God bless her!--who set up scheduled matches with other schools ON HER OWN TIME, thus allowing "her girls" to be competitive. All hail Coach Anne Dapkus of Saint Gregory High; here's to you! :gulp:

Lip, you, being male--obviously have no idea what it is like to be a female jock. I love sports. And it bothers me when someone like Diana Taurasi says something dumb. It bothers me even more when a professional woman's tennis player (I'm not mentioning the name because I'm just too damn tired to verify the source) says she has no idea what "Title IX" is. HELLO! Title IX is what enabled you to have a career, you self-centered airhead.

Rant over. For now!

VA_GoGoSox
09-21-2005, 01:13 AM

:roflmao:

WNBA?

If I wanted to see that level of basketball, I could go to any high school during the winter months and see it. And i do--for about $5 a pop. I will not, however, pay for gas/parking/tix/concessions to watch the WNBA.

Professional sports are a commodity in that you are paying to see athletes perform at a level that is worth paying good money to see, and frankly, watching women play basketball does not live up to this standard.

I really don't care that the WNBA exists. Good for them if they are making money. Where I think the backlash comes from is people like me that turn on the TV to see a random out of market baseball/basketball/football/tiddlywinks game, and this garbage is being broadcast instead.

MarySwiss
09-21-2005, 01:20 AM
:roflmao:

WNBA?

If I wanted to see that level of basketball, I could go to any high school during the winter months and see it. And i do--for about $5 a pop. I will not, however, pay for gas/parking/tix/concessions to watch the WNBA.
Professional sports are a commodity in that you are paying to see athletes perform at a level that is worth paying good money to see, and frankly, watching women play basketball does not live up to this standard.
I really don't care that the WNBA exists. Good for them if they are making money. Where I think the backlash comes from is people like me that turn on the TV to see a random out of market baseball/basketball/football/tiddlywinks game, and this garbage is being broadcast instead.

Neanderthal man (you might want to look that word up). You don't think women playing basketball is worth your money? Well, goody for you! Meanwhile, as the boys might say, bite me!

Note to Lip: see what I'm dealing with here?

MUsoxfan
09-21-2005, 01:31 AM
I can tell you the WNBA is garbage compared to the top women's college teams.

Lip

The same can be said for the regular NBA. I can't stand the NBA, but I love college b-ball almost as much as baseball.

TDog
09-21-2005, 01:32 AM
I can't imagine a scenario in which I would want to learn how Diana Taurasi pronounces her name.

Or spell it. I had to cut and paste to get the name into this post.

By the way, I don't care about men's basketball, either.

MarySwiss
09-21-2005, 01:35 AM
TDogI can't imagine a scenario in which I would want to learn how Diana Taurasi pronounces her name.
Or spell it. I had to cut and paste to get the name into this post. By the way, I don't care about men's basketball, either.

PMMUsoxfanQuote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1

Lip
The same can be said for the regular NBA. I can't stand the NBA, but I love college b-ball almost as much as baseball.

Thank you both! College b-ball is a whole different game. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

TDog
09-21-2005, 02:50 AM
TDogI can't imagine a scenario in which I would want to learn how Diana Taurasi pronounces her name.
Or spell it. I had to cut and paste to get the name into this post. By the way, I don't care about men's basketball, either.

PMMUsoxfanQuote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Thank you both! College b-ball is a whole different game. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

I don't find any basketball watchable. If this woman played baseball or won a Nobel Prize in physics (apparently a long shot), I would love to figure out how to pronounce her name.

MarySwiss
09-21-2005, 03:06 AM
I don't find any basketball watchable. If this woman played baseball or won a Nobel Prize in physics (apparently a long shot), I would love to figure out how to pronounce her name.

And that works for me, TDog! My complaint is against those who single out women athletes--and women's sports--as unwatchable simply because the participants are women and as such--shorter, can't jump as high, less muscle mass--are somehow inferior. Women's sports are not inferior, just different. And anyone who can view them as such should be able to recognize them as different--and enjoy them. Vive la diffference!

Soxfanspcu11
09-21-2005, 04:32 AM
Why does every argument about this always have to come back to gender? It is the same tired argument regarding race in sports, it's utterly ridiculous. In the most broad and general term, women's sports are not boring. I remember watching the women's world cup in 1999 when the US team who were inprobable underdogs were able to win the title. I remember how happy I was for that team, it had nothing to do with them being women. They were extremely talented athletes who represtented the USA in a sport where this country is traditionally the underdog. And I know I wasnt the only male fan to enjoy it either. During the final game I distincly remember the stadium being PACKED with enough fans that was equal to an Ohio State football game and it's not like the place was all female. ABC covered the game and recieved tremendous ratings for it.

Basically, gender has nothing to do with this argument. The fact is that some sports are just boring to watch (bowling,golf,tennis,etc) and some sports are not necessarily boring to watch, but when the talent level is so low, enjoying it on a "fan" basis really is not possible. In this instance, watching the WNBA is equivalent to watching high-school or junior high basketball, both men and women's. Basketball games that have final scores in the area of 43-40 with stagnant and sloppy play, poor defense and the "highlight" of the game being a 3-pointer that actually goes in without hitting the rim do not qualify as quality competion performed by talented athletes.

As someone stated earlier, the reason to pay ticket prices, parking, gas, concessions, etc. is because the consumer is aware that they are seeing the best athletes in the world playing for a team that they love to death. A lot of this is simply deep-rooted in tradition. Men's sports have been around for centuries and many loyalties are associated with history. The fact of the matter is, 20 years ago the thought of a "WNBA" would be laughable and the thought of any of those games being televised would never have been discussesd.

The WNBA simply does not deserve to have "NBA" in it's name, it really is a joke and it has nothing to do with the participants being female. It has to do with the quality of play and competition being so poor that it is painful to watch. If you were to look at a box score of a 2005 WNBA game and compare it to a box score of a men's professional game in 1930, it would be hard to find much difference. The WNBA just does not hold up in this era and can not compete with other professional sports, regardless of gender.

BainesHOF
09-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Keep in mind that Taurasi was brought in for the press conference to promote the WNBA. Then she gets in front of a microphone and comes across as an insulting idiot. What an embarrassment.

The Chicago Sky, and I might add what a nonsensical name that is, already has a big strike against it to me as a Sox fan thanks to Taurasi's inane act.

chitownhawkfan
09-21-2005, 05:37 AM
Hold on a second while I set up my soap box,

The majority of womens sports just arent as good as mens, but there are exceptions. Most notably tennis and volleyball, where men are too powerful and it becomes a service game. The simple fact is men are bigger, faster, stronger and make for better atheletes.

I have no problem with the WNBA if you dont count the fact that they have the most ridiculous team names of any professional sports league, everything has to end in a "y" or "x" what was wrong with names like, Bulls, or Bears why does every WNBA team has to be some obscure adjective or non pluralized noun?

The argument about the WNBA being popular is hogwash, if it wasnt being subsidized by David Stern it would already be defunct. The only reason it has a TV deal is that the NBA forced ESPN to televise their games if they wanted to sign a contract with the league. So, get out of my city you horse faced dinosaur!

doublem23
09-21-2005, 05:44 AM
I thought the women's soccer team in the 1998 (I think) World Cup was one of the best teams in the world, and not just in retrospect, but they went into that tournament as one of the 2-3 teams favored to win, IIRC. Maybe they were underdogs to China in the final, but in terms of the entire thing, they were seeded very high.

chitownhawkfan
09-21-2005, 06:00 AM
I thought the women's soccer team in the 1998 (I think) World Cup was one of the best teams in the world, and not just in retrospect, but they went into that tournament as one of the 2-3 teams favored to win, IIRC. Maybe they were underdogs to China in the final, but in terms of the entire thing, they were seeded very high.

Yeah, in women's soccer it is almost always, China, the US and Norway as dominant teams.

jdm2662
09-21-2005, 09:53 AM

You'd be correct. The US and China are generally the two best teams.

Let me start out by saying I enjoy watching women's soccer as I am a big soccer fan. I also enjoy watching fast pitch softball. It's a great game to watch. Women's tennis is cool to watch, too. The WNBA is just not good to watch. It has nothing to do with women playing, it's just how it is. The college game is much better as already mentioned. The NBA can be hard to watch as well. The only reason why the WNBA even is still around is because David Stern has the money from the NBA to run it. It would've been folded a long time ago if it didn't have the resources from the NBA to fund the league. Of course, when the WNBA won't succeed in Chicago, men will be blamed for being sexist. While women are much more involved in sports as they are in the past, there is still a good amount of them that do not follow sports. This fact is always not looked at.

1951Campbell
09-21-2005, 09:57 AM

I would purchase the MLB Ticket, were I made of money. There are hundreds of games on the WNBA schedule, and very few prize fights. My point is that this is pennant race time, and I don't want baseball shunted aside by minor sports like the WNBA, boxing, or God-awful poker games.

Yes, men's and women's sports are qualitatively different. That can be pointed out until the cows come home. Are men or women's sports "better" than one another? Objectively, no. However, that doesn't change the fact that the majority of sports fans would rather watch men's sports, including myself. Yelling "Neanderthal" doesn't win any converts, though.

MUsoxfan
09-21-2005, 11:34 AM
I just saw in the Sun-Times that ticket prices for this new WNBA team cost $10-$100!!!!!!! That $100 seat better be all-inclusive otherwise this management has some real problems with their business model.

PatK
09-21-2005, 11:49 AM
She was a hot**** college b-ball player at UConn. I haven't heard anything about her since she graduated, lending further credence to the notion that the WNBA is a doomed idea.

Hot? Are you high? She looks like Freddy Garcia with breasts.

Iwritecode
09-21-2005, 12:01 PM

You missed the **** after the word hot.

In other words, he meant to say she was a "hotshot" basketball player...

spiffie
09-21-2005, 12:01 PM
I think the *'d out part was there to imply she was a top player at UConn, not that she was..."conventionally attractive".

Jerko
09-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Maybe we can get Sue Bird to spank her. :o:

Iwritecode
09-21-2005, 12:09 PM
As far as women's sports go, I like to watch softball and volleyball. Every once in a while I'll watch women's bowling as well.

Mostly because those are my three favorite sports and I played them all the time growing up.

PatK
09-21-2005, 12:19 PM
I think the *'d out part was there to imply she was a top player at UConn, not that she was..."conventionally attractive".

Gotcha. I mis-interpreted the *'s.

chaerulez
09-21-2005, 12:24 PM
The Chicago franchise will be out of business in two years. There is a reason why Uncle Jerry wanted nothing to do with a WNBA franchise despite repeated pleas from David Stern and the WNBA folks.

This is a friggin' joke.

Lip

Won't this be the only WNBA team in a NBA city that isn't owned or once owned by the NBA owner.

Jjav829
09-21-2005, 12:33 PM
White Sox respond...

"What's a Diana Taurasi?"

Who cares what she says? Really, I think there are more posts in this thread than the average amount of fans at a WNBA game. It's not like she speaks for any significant group of people.

kittle42
09-21-2005, 12:35 PM
I think there are more posts in this thread than the average amount of fans at a WNBA game.

Attendance thread!

maurice
09-21-2005, 12:40 PM
The elephant in the room is sex appeal. Sports where attractive female athletes sprint around in skimpy clothes (e.g., tennis and volleyball) are far more popular than other women's sports. Promoters have caught onto this and began marketing Finch, Patrick, and female soccer players for their sex appeal. Even female poker players. I expect to see the same thing in golf, but it probably won't work for basketball or football (sorry, PH13).

mjmcend
09-21-2005, 02:02 PM
My friend from Seattle (who won the WNBA championship last year) asked me this question after the series to judge its popularity, would you rather have five dollars or have your home team win the WNBA championship?

Lip Man 1
09-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Chicago has had three other incarnations of 'professional' women's teams. All folded within three years due to lack of interest. One only lasted a half season.

Lip

LauraJ14
09-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Chicago has had three other incarnations of 'professional' women's teams. All folded within three years due to lack of interest. One only lasted a half season.

Lip

I will pay attention to the WNBA team in Chicago because I follow college basketball and want to see women have the opportunity to continue their careers after college. I think that its crazy to give men millions of dollars to sit on the bench and play basketball but women players make nothing.

Well lets hope that the Chicago Bandits softball team is one of the teams to build up a strong franchise here is Chicago.

chitownhawkfan
09-21-2005, 03:58 PM
I will pay attention to the WNBA team in Chicago because I follow college basketball and want to see women have the opportunity to continue their careers after college. I think that its crazy to give men millions of dollars to sit on the bench and play basketball but women players make nothing.

Well lets hope that the Chicago Bandits softball team is one of the teams to build up a strong franchise here is Chicago.

Its called Supply and Demand, nobody wants to watch WNBA basketball so they get paid accordingly, in fact they are overpaid, if not for NBA subsidies they would already be RIP. NBA bench players make millions because there are lots of people who care that the Bulls sixth man can come in and score. Personally I dont care if the Chicago WNBA whatever they are called wins the next 100 championships, I wont watch and I wont be buying tickets.

PatK
09-21-2005, 04:57 PM
The elephant in the room is sex appeal. Sports where attractive female athletes sprint around in skimpy clothes (e.g., tennis and volleyball) are far more popular than other women's sports. Promoters have caught onto this and began marketing Finch, Patrick, and female soccer players for their sex appeal. Even female poker players. I expect to see the same thing in golf, but it probably won't work for basketball or football (sorry, PH13).

Are you telling me these basketball chicks aren't sexy?

Don't tell me these hotties don't give you some tent pole action

http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/images/heather_owen.jpghttp://www.wnba.com/playerfile/images/franthea_price.jpghttp://www.wnba.com/playerfile/images/lisa_leslie.jpghttp://www.wnba.com/playerfile/images/marlies_askamp.jpg

buehrle4cy05
09-21-2005, 05:10 PM
"A Taurasi was a dinosaur, so therefore never existed."

MarySwiss
09-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Its called Supply and Demand, nobody wants to watch WNBA basketball so they get paid accordingly, in fact they are overpaid, if not for NBA subsidies they would already be RIP. NBA bench players make millions because there are lots of people who care that the Bulls sixth man can come in and score. Personally I dont care if the Chicago WNBA whatever they are called wins the next 100 championships, I wont watch and I wont be buying tickets.

Well, good for you. Who said you have to? And as I said in an earlier post, I don't follow the WNBA or women's colege basketball either. But LauraJ14 does, and she enjoys it. She has that right. And you might want to reconsider the "nobody wants to watch" comment because she does. Absolutes are never correct.

My complaint is that something--admittedly not too bright--that Diana Taurasi said was twisted into a discussion of whether the WNBA should exist and several not-very-flattering comments about women's sports.

Someone else complained that these discussions always divide along gender lines. That's because someone introduces gender bias. As a general rule, that someone is rarely female.

It doesn't bother me that there is a WNBA, and I don't understand why some of the posters here find its very existence so distasteful. If it's inconsequential, why do you need to bash it?

On a related topic, where did you get the idea that the Bulls' sixth man can come in and score?

miker
09-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Well, good for you. Who said you have to? And as I said in an earlier post, I don't follow the WNBA or women's colege basketball either. But LauraJ14 does, and she enjoys it. She has that right. And you might want to reconsider the "nobody wants to watch" comment because she does. Absolutes are never correct.

My complaint is that something--admittedly not too bright--that Diana Taurasi said was twisted into a discussion of whether the WNBA should exist and several not-very-flattering comments about women's sports.

Someone else complained that these discussions always divide along gender lines. That's because someone introduces gender bias. As a general rule, that someone is rarely female.

It doesn't bother me that there is a WNBA, and I don't understand why some of the posters here find its very existence so distasteful. If it's inconsequential, why do you need to bash it?

On a related topic, where did you get the idea that the Bulls' sixth man can come in and score?
Thanks for some long overdue perspective in this thread MarySwiss. At the risk of putting my own gonads on the line, let me say that I'm sure many of the neanderthals making smart remarks about women's athletics turn their heads toward beach volleyball only because they're nearly naked.

ja1022
09-21-2005, 06:13 PM
Are you telling me these basketball chicks aren't sexy?

Don't tell me these hotties don't give you some tent pole action

http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/images/heather_owen.jpghttp://www.wnba.com/playerfile/images/franthea_price.jpghttp://www.wnba.com/playerfile/images/lisa_leslie.jpghttp://www.wnba.com/playerfile/images/marlies_askamp.jpg

Dude, that's cruel.

Okay, it is damn funny, but it's still cruel.

MarySwiss
09-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks for some long overdue perspective in this thread MarySwiss. At the risk of putting my own gonads on the line, let me say that I'm sure many of the neanderthals making smart remarks about women's athletics turn their heads toward beach volleyball only because they're nearly naked.

You're welcome, Miker. But I'd be careful about using the word "neanderthal." I got some crap tossed at me for using it earlier in the thread. I guess some of them are very sensitive souls. Must be all that poetry they are constantly reading. :rolleyes:

davenicholson
09-21-2005, 08:41 PM
You're welcome, Miker. But I'd be careful about using the word "neanderthal." I got some crap tossed at me for using it earlier in the thread. I guess some of them are very sensitive souls. Must be all that poetry they are constantly reading. :rolleyes:
Mary,
I didn't see any "crap" tossed at you for your usage of the word '"Neanderthal" in your ad hominem attack on 1951Campbell. All I saw in his response was that using that word won't win many converts to your side of the argument. From what I could tell, the only problem the posters in this thread have with the WNBA is that when broadcasting its games prevents them from seeing out-of-market MLB games during a pennant race. Hard to find fault with that. I went through and re-read the entire thread, and still fail to see what triggered the acrimony.

BTW--anyone who was around WSI for the bad old days of the PI discussions would tell you that Campbell is one of the true gentlemen on this site.

RadioheadRocks
09-21-2005, 09:44 PM

Lip

Anyone remember THIS blast from the past???

http://www.wblmemories.com/images/chicag1.jpg

forrestg
09-22-2005, 12:15 AM
i worked at a prison once and one of the inmates made a comment that he'd enjoy women's basketball more if certain parts of their bodied jiggled more when they ran and jumped.. That's why he didn't watch it.:bandance:
'

MarySwiss
09-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Mary,
I didn't see any "crap" tossed at you for your usage of the word '"Neanderthal" in your ad hominem attack on 1951Campbell. All I saw in his response was that using that word won't win many converts to your side of the argument. From what I could tell, the only problem the posters in this thread have with the WNBA is that when broadcasting its games prevents them from seeing out-of-market MLB games during a pennant race. Hard to find fault with that. I went through and re-read the entire thread, and still fail to see what triggered the acrimony. BTW--anyone who was around WSI for the bad old days of the PI discussions would tell you that Campbell is one of the true gentlemen on this site.

Dave,
You said you re-read the entire thread. Perhaps you should re-read it again, because my use of the word "neanderthal" was not directed at 1951Campbell, although he was the poster who decided to react to it. But you're right about one thing; I should not have referred to any one personally as a "neanderthal." And my use of the word in this thread also could be considered inaccurate because it seems to imply a mentality that is in the past.

I must admit I find it interesting that "moron," "idiot," "jagbag," etc., are fine for use on this site, but "neanderthal" stirs ire. And I would hope that no one sincerely believes that my use of that word is the most objectionable aspect of the discussion on this thread.

And as far as 1951Campbell being a true gentleman, that's nice to know.

1951Campbell
09-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Dave,
You said you re-read the entire thread. Perhaps you should re-read it again, because my use of the word "neanderthal" was not directed at 1951Campbell, although he was the poster who decided to react to it. But you're right about one thing; I should not have referred to any one personally as a "neanderthal." And my use of the word in this thread also could be considered inaccurate because it seems to imply a mentality that is in the past.

I must admit I find it interesting that "moron," "idiot," "jagbag," etc., are fine for use on this site, but "neanderthal" stirs ire. And I would hope that no one sincerely believes that my use of that word is the most objectionable aspect of the discussion on this thread.

And as far as 1951Campbell being a true gentleman, that's nice to know.

I brought up using the word "Neanderthal"--directed at Va_GoGoSox, I believe--only to point out that while you apparently feel very strongly about this issue, you fail miserably by dragging that old war-horse of a word out if your aim is to persuade.

MarySwiss
09-22-2005, 03:59 PM
I brought up using the word "Neanderthal"--directed at Va_GoGoSox, I believe--only to point out that while you apparently feel very strongly about this issue, you fail miserably by dragging that old war-horse of a word out if your aim is to persuade.

Well, first off, I actually could not care less about persuading anyone about anything. When I post at this board, I am merely expressing my opinion. And for about the millionth time, I do not feel very strongly about the WNBA. I do, however, feel strongly about the various insinuations in this thread, subtle and not-so-subtle, that women do not belong in pro sports. And as the original topic was a remark made by Diana Taurasi, I objected to the fact that the topic was being twisted in this fashion. Also, just so you know, in one of my earlier posts--the one in which I said something to the effect that lots of athletes say stupid things, I was careful to AVOID referencing gender or providing specific examples of dumb things male athletes have said.

However, I feel constrained to add that I'm not real nuts about comments about women athletes' personal appearances, which--again IMO--is something that's completely irrelevant. And I know I'll probably get smoked for saying it. But I'm done with this thread anyway; I've already given it too much time and effort.

slavko
09-23-2005, 12:40 AM
Don't look at me, I like to watch basketball played without shooting or jumping.

maurice
09-23-2005, 05:09 PM
I do, however, feel strongly about the various insinuations in this thread, subtle and not-so-subtle, that women do not belong in pro sports.

IMHO, you're reading way too much into this thread. Women belong in pro sports to the extent that the league is economically viable. The ridicule in this thread would be essentially the same if the speaker where a male member of a soon-to-be-defunct sports league.

I'm not real nuts about comments about women athletes' personal appearances, which--again IMO--is something that's completely irrelevant.

As I noted earlier, it's certainly not irrelevant to the popularity of league. Many individual female athletes have no problem marketing themselves in ways that focus on personal appearances and not athleticism.

Dick Allen
09-23-2005, 11:32 PM
When the women start to look like men (but not play like them), then it becomes nauseating for me to watch. Sorry, Mary, that's just the way I feel.

Tadahito
09-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Haha Diana you play women's basketball...hahaha.