PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie: Good or Bad?

RMSoxFan
09-20-2005, 01:42 PM
I noticed in the thread about Marte that a lot of people disagree with some of Ozzies moves lately. I agree with them, but I'm unsure whether or not I think Ozzie is a bad manager. I think he is good at motivating the troops and bringing in energy, but I don't think he's a very good tactical manager. I think his influence is what got this team off to its great start in the first half. What I'm worried about is the possibility that all of that energy has gotten old with the players. The things he says to the media, his sometimes rash behavior, etc. might be starting to wear thin.

Thoughts? Is Ozzie a good or bad manager?

PaulDrake
09-20-2005, 01:48 PM
. I think he is good at motivating the troops and bringing in energy, but I don't think he's a very good tactical manager. I think his influence is what got this team off to its great start in the first half. What I'm worried about is the possibility that all of that energy has gotten old with the players. The things he says to the media, his sometimes rash behavior, etc. might be starting to wear thin.

Stop right there. That pretty much explains it, at least it does to me anyway.

tlebar318
09-20-2005, 01:50 PM
I think he has great baseball instincts that will improve over time.-- Keep in mind he is only a second year manager. I think the two things that stick out at me as weaknesses are his management of the pitching staff and the over-resting of the regular position players throughout the season. I truly think he will get better with time.....That said I think his energy is contagious and we can still do this! This year! Why not us? Go Sox!:D:

DaleJRFan
09-20-2005, 01:51 PM
What the hell is Ozzie supposed to do when the players aren't doing their jobs?? Guys aren't hitting with men in scoring position, pitchers are walking the lead-off man, the purported "best rotation" in baseball is huffing the ball over the heart of the plate...

BLAH! But on the topic of this thread, I am really starting to think that the Sox were over-managed and over-coached at the start of this season. They were playing over their heads, beyond anyone's expectations and they have started to come back to earth. So to answer your question, Ozzie rules. If the Sox can't get the job done, then we (anyone looking to blame someone) need to look to the players....

And what a whole hell of a lot of people (Media, non-Sox fans) are NOT talking about is that the Indians are reeeeeally good. I am really getting tired of listening to "The Sox are pulling off the choke job of the century" when the Indians are absolutely unconscious right now. We ALL need to give some CRED to the Indians for playing GREAT baseball.

getonbckthr
09-20-2005, 02:20 PM
hey were just a bunch of idiots!!!

Mohoney
09-20-2005, 02:41 PM
And what a whole hell of a lot of people (Media, non-Sox fans) are NOT talking about is that the Indians are reeeeeally good. I am really getting tired of listening to "The Sox are pulling off the choke job of the century" when the Indians are absolutely unconscious right now. We ALL need to give some CRED to the Indians for playing GREAT baseball.

You're absolutely right.

Look at Victor Martinez. The guy was hitting .209 with a .283 OBP on June 16. Now he's at .301 with a .372 OBP.

Jake Westbrook was 2-9 in his first 13 starts. He has followed that with a 13-4 record in his last 18 starts.

Kevin Millwood has to be the best 8-11 pitcher I've ever seen. He has been an absolute workhorse, logging 179 IP in 28 starts, and his ERA is a disgusting 2.97, good for #1 in the AL.

Bob Wickman is 44 for 49 in save opportunities, including a perfect 17 for 17 against the Twins, Royals, and Tigers. We're the only team in the division to get to this guy. In fact, both the Twins and Royals have failed to even score a run off him.

Perhaps the most disgusting of all: out of 30 starts, Cliff Lee has lost a grand total of 4 games, and NONE SINCE JULY 8TH! How does this guy not get mentioned in Cy Young talk?

akingamongstmen
09-20-2005, 03:32 PM
:hijacked:

In response to the topic: Ozzie is good, but not great. He does a lot of things well, but his shaky management of the bullpen can really hurt from time to time. He'll get better with time.

Argalarga
09-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Ozzie is in over his head. As much as I love his style and his attitude, he's over-managing and playing favorites with the wrong guys. The constant line-up changes and mismanagement of the bullpen have not made this team's life easier.

Paulwny
09-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Kevin Millwood has to be the best 8-11 pitcher I've ever seen. He has been an absolute workhorse, logging 179 IP in 28 starts, and his ERA is a disgusting 2.97, good for #1 in the AL.

I believe, its been over 100yrs since a pitcher who led the league in era had a losing record.

jerry myers
09-20-2005, 04:13 PM
I like ozzy i named my piranha after him. hes done great except for taking out relievers when their doing great, and putting in someone who blows it. (IF THEIR DOING WELL LEAVE THEM ALONE!).

DaleJRFan
09-20-2005, 04:15 PM
I like ozzy

Ozzy? as in Bark at the Moon, Crazy Train? Mr. Crowley? :cool:

i named my piranha after him.

Do you feed pigeons to it?? :D:

ode to veeck
09-20-2005, 04:34 PM
I like ozzy i named my piranha after him. hes done great except for taking out relievers when their doing great, and putting in someone who blows it. (IF THEIR DOING WELL LEAVE THEM ALONE!).

Yeah, what he said, except I don't have a pet pirhana, as one of our maine coon cats would probably eat Ozzie II