PDA

View Full Version : Poll: If the Sox lose tonight

cheeses_h_rice
09-20-2005, 01:14 PM
What will be your opinion on the Sox's chances if they lose tonight?

FRANK FORT
09-20-2005, 01:17 PM
That they still have a good chance at the Wild Card.

kobo
09-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Still going to win the division.

spiffie
09-20-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm waiting to see when the mods come in and set the poll results to 4000000 votes for the Sox are winning it all choice :)

crazyozzie02
09-20-2005, 01:30 PM
its gonna be tough. down to the wire

wdelaney72
09-20-2005, 01:30 PM
We need another choice for "still make the playoffs in some capacity but get swept in the first round."

cheeses_h_rice
09-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Looks like Kittle42's already voted...

:)

Infallible
09-20-2005, 01:34 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Our pitching staff alone will not get it done for us. Our hitting is absolutely attrocious compared to the other playoff bound hopefulls.

slobes
09-20-2005, 01:37 PM
I think if they will win the Wild Card, but if that happens, they will be so depleted from not winning the division that they will most likely be swept.

Stroker Ace
09-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Suicide

DaleJRFan
09-20-2005, 01:42 PM
What bothers me is when the pitching staff shows up, the offense can't score runs to save their lives. When the offense shows up the pitching staff can't hold a lead. Grr... it's so frustrating to watch the Sox sometimes.

Let's hope they put it all together tonight. A Buehrle gem and 7-10 runs from the position players.

PaulDrake
09-20-2005, 01:44 PM
I've bottomed out. I want to see them be the team they were in April, May and June. I think they want that too. Buerhle is very aware that people are now calling him "not an ace." Go inside tonight Mark, even if you hit a guy. I'm looking for a big performance tonight. I really think the season is on the line. Win these next two games and feel the team and all us fans begin to exhale.

Hangar18
09-20-2005, 02:17 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Our pitching staff alone will not get it done for us. Our hitting is absolutely attrocious compared to the other playoff bound hopefulls.

This team went from a Great Hitting, a bad bullpen, no table-setters,
to a team with good Pitching, bad hitting , and great table setters

Our offense shouldve been able to pick up our pitchers the last few weeks,
but the SOX made their bed, and now theyre lying in it.

Hangar18
09-20-2005, 02:21 PM
I've bottomed out. I want to see them be the team they were in April, May and June. I think they want that too. Buerhle is very aware that people are now calling him "not an ace." Go inside tonight Mark, even if you hit a guy. I'm looking for a big performance tonight. I really think the season is on the line. Win these next two games and feel the team and all us fans begin to exhale.

Aces dont give up 13 hits every outing.

BRDSR
09-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Suicide

Suicide

(That lacks teal because the very sarcasm in it is that it contrasts with Stroker's teal. Please don't send me any materials about my worth.)

Seriously though, this is as close to a must-win game as the White Sox have had all season. I'm cautiously optimistic about the game itself. Despite Buerhle's poor go of it the last few outings I'd rather have him on the bump than anyone else.

But if the White Sox lose tonight, Cleveland's momentum will be so strong that I don't think anything would derail them and they'll take the division. Win tonight and thats another story. Go Sox!

JohnBasedowYoda
09-20-2005, 02:43 PM
what happened to garcia being a big game pitcher? buerhle needs to shut them down tonight. we really need to crushem

HotelWhiteSox
09-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Where is the 'not gonna happen' option?

MarySwiss
09-20-2005, 02:46 PM
The Sox are winning the World Series, and I am collecting on my $100 bet. No teal.

TheOldRoman
09-20-2005, 02:48 PM

Our offense shouldve been able to pick up our pitchers the last few weeks,
but the SOX made their bed, and now theyre lying in it.
WE DIDNT HAVE GREAT HITTING LAST YEAR!

Im sure your mind is clouded with thoughts of all the homers Carlos and Mr. Ordonez put up, but our offense was far from great. You clearly dont remember all those games we lost because our offense completely fell asleep. Our offense the past couple of years was Paul Konerko x 9. When we scored, we scored A LOT. That skewed the stats. When we didn't get lots of homers, we had no chance of winning. Do you not remember losing so many close games? Jose striking out 3 times with RISP? Every batter trying to hit it out of the park instead of getting on base? Our hitters were extremely streaky, much moreso than this year.

I still believe that the Sox have a good mixture of hitting, but it can get better. If Rowand performed up to expectations, and AJ wasn't having the worst year of his career, our offense would look drastically different. Also consider Scotty's injury, and how it still hurts us today. We also planned on having Big Frank all year. We have won a lot more of the close games this year, and we arent even done with our offensive transformation. Kenny will look to replace offensive black holes and streaky hitters with more consistant contact hitters with similar power numbers(Mueller for Crede? Delgado for Konerko? Furcal for Uribe?). Next season we need more left handed hitters, and hitters with higher averages. You cant dump 20 of your players in an offseason, at least while picking up good alternatives. This transformation will take time. The Sox been extremely sucsessful in "the bed they made" considering they have already won more games than in the past 4 seasons.

Hangar, you strike me as the worst kind of dark cloud. "the SOX made their bed, and now theyre lying in it". You have been spewing this crap the past few weeks, and if looks like you are doing it to try to sound smarter. You are doing it so if the sox fail, you can say "I told you all along, the offense would do us in". Nobody will give you credit if that does happen. We have a very good team. We have one of the best teams in baseball. Our hitting picked up 5 runs yesterday, but our hitting let us down. We are 4th in the AL in homers. We are going to the playoffs, whether you like it or not, so dont throw stones at a 90+ win team just to make yourself look smarter.

dannycater
09-20-2005, 02:54 PM

The Sox teams of the last few years had great hitting, but it was wildly inconsistent, if I remember correctly...I remember one or two week stretches at a time where the offense would completely shut down...

the template of the team before this season that was drawn up by the organization had practically all the success of the team riding on pitching, to get away from the reliance on offense, not a bad idea....at any particular point though, whenever our pitching has faltered, it seems like we have a tough time winning a game at all, against anybody....

You have to figure that everything that has happened this year has pretty much had the organization befuddled....the incredibly fast start, then the incredibly mediocre finish...Frank Thomas going down again, then EL Duque reminding us of why the Yankees got rid of him...the ineffectiveness of Garcia, the ineffectiveness of Burhle, the hot start of Garland, the at times absolute inability to get key hits and leave runners on base....the errors, the bad baserunning....if you think about it, almost 80-90% of what has happened this year has the organization with it's collective head spinning...

speaking of spinning, if the Sox tank this whole thing, prepare for some massive media spinning by OZZie, KW, JR, etc....JR has already started by stating in the North interview yesterday that even the 1951 Brooklyn Dodger collapse didn't prevent the fans from coming out in 1952, nor the BoSox 1978 collapse prevent those fans from coming out in 1979....

If you look at spring training 2005, the Sox plan was to take a different approach...because the old approach hadn't won them jack squat....I really believe their idea was to try something different and see what happens...I remember an interview with JR at the beginning of the year,where he said he thought the Sox would be "competitive", nothing more, nothing less...so that's probably all they hoped for...

dannycater
09-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Hangar, you strike me as the worst kind of dark cloud. "the SOX made their bed, and now theyre lying in it". You have been spewing this crap the past few weeks, and if looks like you are doing it to try to sound smarter.

everybody is handling the current drama in a different way...there are some Sox fans that are taking this really, really hard..I seriously doubt that the great majority on this board want the Sox to lose, no matter what they say....

how about cutting the guy some slack??

DannyCaterFan
09-20-2005, 03:13 PM
I have said all along that the Sox need to win at least 2 of the 6 games against the Indians to still win the division. It sure would be nice if they pick up that first win tonight. If we take the next 2 games we are in complete control.

RowanDye
09-20-2005, 03:14 PM
I think if they will win the Wild Card, but if that happens, they will be so depleted from not winning the division that they will most likely be swept.

"So depleted from not winning the division"??? You must mean emotionally depleted, because it is going to take a LACK of effort to blow this thing. Secondly, if they get the Wild Card they better have a chip on their shoulder and start taking names come October.

Paulwny
09-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Throughout the tribe's run they scored quite a few runs with 2 out, as per the tribe radio announcers last night.

This type of scoring won't continue. I still believe their bats will cool off.

TheOldRoman
09-20-2005, 03:30 PM
everybody is handling the current drama in a different way...there are some Sox fans that are taking this really, really hard..I seriously doubt that the great majority on this board want the Sox to lose, no matter what they say....

how about cutting the guy some slack??
Im not saying he wants the Sox to lose. Im just saying he wants to sound smart, so he says this "offense will kill us" crap or "they made the bed, they will lie in it". PHG discussed this last week I think, and he said that there are certain posters who just throw crap like this out there, almost hoping for the Sox to lose, just so they can claim to be baseball prodegies.

Argalarga
09-20-2005, 03:32 PM
If we lose tonight, we're in deep trouble. We'd be in a position where we'd have to take 3 out of the last 4 from the Tribe to rebuild a small margin of error, and as much as I want to believe the Sox can do it, the Tribe is playing all but perfect baseball right now. The collapse hasn't happened because the Sox have played awful. It's happened because the Sox have played mediocre and the Tribe has been unstoppable. We have to beat them tonight. It's that simple.

jerry myers
09-20-2005, 04:06 PM
their basically being made fun of, by my surrounding her in Iowa mostly cub fans ,rough day for me. wish their was something i could do! any suggestions

arbutron
09-20-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm waiting to see when the mods come in and set the poll results to 4000000 votes for the Sox are winning it all choice :)

is that what moderators do?

Lip Man 1
09-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Paulny:

This type of scoring won't continue. I still believe their bats will cool off.

Well they are running out of games to do it don't ya think?

Lip

Fuller_Schettman
09-20-2005, 04:20 PM
All we have to do is split these 6 games with Cleveland. If we do, we would have to lose 5 of 8 against Detroit and Minn to lose the division lead, assuming that Cleveland sweeps KC and Tampa.

So even if we get swept at home, we could still come back and sweep them on the road and win going away.

Baby Fisk
09-20-2005, 04:21 PM
is that what moderators do?
Mods can also control the movement of time, transfer their material persons to any point in the universe at will, make bottles of beer appear from thin air, and administer ass-whuppings on trolls for the villagers' amusement. Worship them; they do all of this for free. :thumbsup:

tstrike2000
09-20-2005, 04:22 PM
What bothers me is when the pitching staff shows up, the offense can't score runs to save their lives. When the offense shows up the pitching staff can't hold a lead.

That's pretty much been it since August 1st. Go Sox!!

ode to veeck
09-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Mods can also control the movement of time, transfer their material persons to any point in the universe at will, make bottles of beer appear from thin air, and administer ass-whuppings on trolls for the villagers' amusement. Worship them; they do all of this for free. :thumbsup:

... and today's poll is just begging for Modification

Lip Man 1
09-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Fuller:

Anything's possible however I'd hate to have the Sox in a position where they'd have to sweep all games in Cleveland to win this thing. Those are very, very, very long odds.

Lip

PaulDrake
09-20-2005, 07:27 PM

how about cutting the guy some slack?? I know I'm one of the oldest ones here and I still take it hard.

voodoochile
09-20-2005, 07:53 PM
We ain't ****ing losing tonight...

PAPChiSox729
09-20-2005, 08:24 PM
We ain't ****ing losing tonight...

I'll second that.

ode to veeck
09-20-2005, 08:56 PM
we still aint' ****ing losing tonight

Stoky44
09-20-2005, 11:09 PM
WELL.................WE ****ING WON!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

VC edit: Please don't evade the language filters, I edited your post, but next time you get a week. It would be a damned shame to ban someone for celebrating a huge win...

CLR01
09-20-2005, 11:15 PM
WELL.................WE ****ing WON!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

:rolleyes: Because the sox won I will give you a warning. Next time you get a vacation. Let the filters do their job.