PDA

View Full Version : Ever go to a game by yourself?

09-20-2005, 12:47 PM
I have never done this, but I got a strong desire to go tonight and I can't find any takers...My wife will be thrilled to get me out of the house to avoid any further door slamming!

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-20-2005, 12:49 PM
I have never done this, but I got a strong desire to go tonight and I can't find any takers...My wife will be thrilled to get me out of the house to avoid any further door slamming!

A few times...1998, my wife was very sick, my kids were still too little. It was my therapy...I went to about 10 games that year by myself. I had a good time too..cuz I turned everything else off and focused on baseball.

CHISOXFAN13
09-20-2005, 12:50 PM
I've done it several times. I find it to be very therapuetic most of the time.

skobabe8
09-20-2005, 12:54 PM
I've done it several times. I find it to be very therapuetic most of the time.

I've done it and also find it relaxing. You can really take in the sights and sounds of a game without having to talk to someone sitting next to you and missing those things. I like to sit where I want, eat what I want, and just shut up and watch a game for 3 hours sometimes.

anewman35
09-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Never have, although I do have 1 ticket for game 1 of the ALDS.

SaltyPretzel
09-20-2005, 01:02 PM

I've done it a few times and I don't mind it at all.

white sox bill
09-20-2005, 01:04 PM
I've done it a few times and I don't mind it at all.

Same hear, it was quite nice...Been to many Hawk games alone too!

tromcoe
09-20-2005, 01:05 PM
I have done it a couple of times also, and I find that I can concentrate on the game a little better. I would suggest taking a radio to listen along. Or, most of the time there are such great Sox fans around that if you do want someone to talk to you can ususally find someone willing.

Dick Allen
09-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I've done this many times, "going with all my friends".

JohnBasedowYoda
09-20-2005, 01:15 PM
i went once and it was ok. it wasn't a full house so it wasn't like i was surrounded by a bunch of people. though it did feel strange yelling at the sox by yourself.

Baby Fisk
09-20-2005, 01:15 PM
I've been to Skydome/Rogers Centre alone many times -- very tranquil experience. Plus it's so quiet I did my taxes in there once.

cleanwsox
09-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Haven't yet but went with some guys from work who left in the 3rd inning, where I stayed until the finish. I actually enjoyed the peacefulness of it. Still doesn't beat having a good buddy with just in case you need to rant about the game with.

mpshans
09-20-2005, 01:22 PM
My wife went to both playoff games against the M's a few years back by herself. I was out of town. She did not even have tickets for the second game just went and got some day of for face value. Not to remind you all of how that went. She had a real good time besides from the outcome.

nug0hs
09-20-2005, 01:23 PM
A few times...1998, my wife was very sick, my kids were still too little. It was my therapy...I went to about 10 games that year by myself. I had a good time too..cuz I turned everything else off and focused on baseball.

If you really want some therapy, go by yourself and keep score the whole game...that will REALLY clear your mind!

TomBradley72
09-20-2005, 01:24 PM
I've done it a few times...couldn't find others as obsessed with the Sox as I am...especially the last year of Old Comiskey...I wanted to soak up every inning I could. Another side benefit....when you're only looking for a single ticket....you can almost always get a great seat at face value.

Brian26
09-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Take a walkman to listen to John and Ed, and keep score. Lose yourself in the game. It's an incredible experience.

Sad
09-20-2005, 01:25 PM
yep

went to a few weekday SOX games back in April & May by myself after the guy I worked with could'nt make it & I already had tix in-hand...

Brian26
09-20-2005, 01:26 PM
If you really want some therapy, go by yourself and keep score the whole game...that will REALLY clear your mind!

Agreed 100%.

Sad
09-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Take a walkman to listen to John and Ed, and keep score. Lose yourself in the game. It's an incredible experience.

yeah I forgot to mention the radio part... although most games I have my headset even when with others, I just set the volume so I can hear both...

whitesoxwilkes
09-20-2005, 01:28 PM

I do that a few times a year. Just me, my Walkman, my scoremaster, a few beers and a polish. I call it "baseball therapy."

Cellview22
09-20-2005, 01:29 PM
I could use some therapy right now.. maybe I'll go alone tonight.

I had a single ticket for the '93 playoffs, so I went alone. I was bummed after the game, walked straight to the car, got in and waited for the other cars to move in front of me, and all of a sudden these loud frat boys walked by and decided to yank my white sock off my antenna, and it broke the antenna. I'm not sure if they were drunk, or trying to piss me off, but it made my lonely depressing day that much worse. :whiner:

kaufsox
09-20-2005, 01:34 PM
I make it a point to go to at least a couple of games a year by myself. I'm not a big talker and I hate the feeling like I have to talk even more. Also, two kids both under 2, a couple of "dad days" is usually just what the doctor ordered. My wife has Mario Trichochi I've got the Sox.

nebraskasox
09-20-2005, 01:34 PM
One of the best experiences I ever had was a game I attended by myself. It was that game in April 2000 when Jose hit for the cycle. As I was taking my seat near the front of the UD, I balked when I saw I was seated next to a guy about 80 yrs old with a radio plugged into his ear. I thought, "boy this is going to be dull, sitting next to this guy." I couldn't have been more wrong.

The guy was a lifelong Sox fan and was a storehouse of baseball and White Sox history and information. He talked about Luke Appling and other historic players he had seen at old Comiskey since his youth in the 20's and gave continuous insight to players and situations throughout the game rivaling the best baseball analysts I've heard.

He was there by himself too. He had bad eyesight, hence the need for the radio. One ear was going deaf too - we had to switch places during the game so he could hear me better as I became more interested in his comments.

Here was a true, diehard Sox fan. He navigated to the ballpark on public transportation with bad eyesight and hearing and talked about all the years of suffering yet he was optimistic that 2000 might be different. He thought that team might go far. As Jose came to the plate late in the game, I glanced at my scoresheet and noticed that he was a home run shy of the cycle. Then he lined a pitch into the right field stands and a perfect day was almost done.

The Sox crushed the Orioles that day and I've never forgotten that gentleman who made my day so much more enjoyable and meaningful. I wonder if he is still with us this year to share in the joy and agony of another roller coaster season?

So, go to the game. Here's hoping you see the game that got the 05 Sox back on track for a playoff run.

tacosalbarojas
09-20-2005, 01:45 PM
I've seen this type of thread before on here, and yeah, I think most of us do it from time to time. Definitely helps once in a while, if you just want to focus between the lines. I don't think anyone will make you feel like a freak if you're there by yourself, so don't hold back!

ChiSoxGirl
09-20-2005, 01:54 PM

Only 90% of the time! Go for it and just chat up the Sox fans around you. Enjoy, my friend! :smile:

jehosaphat
09-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Going to the game alone is just plain weird.

And yes, I've enjoyed it thoroughly.

MushMouth
09-20-2005, 02:20 PM
I do it a few times a year - it's fun. I generally hit the Bullpen Bar. My record when I'm alone is pretty good. Terrible when I go with other people.

SOXintheBURGH
09-20-2005, 02:30 PM
I've been to Skydome/Rogers Centre alone many times -- very tranquil experience. Plus it's so quiet I did my taxes in there once.

I thought Canadians didn't pay taxes?!

I went to a handful of Pirates games solo, as well as minor league games in Altoona and Williamsport, PA. State College is getting its own team soon too, I'm jealous I missed out on that one.

wdelaney72
09-20-2005, 02:31 PM
I've done it several times. I find it to be very
therapuetic most of the time.

ABSOLUTELY. I try and do this at least once a year.

mweflen
09-20-2005, 03:27 PM
i've done it once or twice. as mentioned above - it's relaxing. i find myself really chilling out and absorbing the game, kind of like meditating. sometimes you strike up a conversation with some random fan, but that's about it.

scope out a nice abandoned seat in the UD, and you can really just take it all in. not for everyone, but i have done it.

Pulaski
09-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Many times and have enjoyed each game with Beer, Peanuts and a polish!

MasQbellesa
09-20-2005, 03:39 PM
I go alone to watch Angel games all the time. I too take my walkman and list to the game. I've gone alone so many times this season, one of the ushers already knows me and moves me up to empty seats along the 1st baseline. He doesn't even mind that i show up to every Angel game with my SOX visor and bag. It's very enjoyable, and when i take friends/family, i almost miss the alone time. But I'm a SOX fan first, I drove alone to San Diego to watch 2 sox games this season. Dragged (litteraly) a friend to Chicago to watch a couple games in June for my birthday. I love this game! GO SOX!

kninchicago
09-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Back a few months after I moved to Chicago the first time around in 2002 I went to the Sox/Cubs game at Wrigley alone. I didn't even know which team to root for yet as I wasn't even from the Midwest area and knew very little about both! But I still had a great time being alone because you can really soak up the atmosphere, it was really cool being alone at one of the cross-town games to see people get all riled up! Now that I go with my friends I don't notice the ambience as much.

Shafe72
09-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Took in several games solo while working as a vendor during the summer of 2000.

Took in the huge Labor Day win at Fenway Park by myself. It was almost impossible to get tickets since it was a make up game and it was on a national holiday. Had to pay a scalper $60 for a standing room seat and go in an inning late.

It was worth every penny to see BMac baffle the "potent" Red Sox offense that day...

Foulke You
09-20-2005, 04:08 PM
I've done it at least 4 or 5 times. I did it this year for Game 1 against the Cubs at Wrigley. Enjoyed watching Freddy mow them down. I bring my little transistor radio and listen to John and Ed call the game. It is definitely a different experience to go by yourself, you immerse yourself more in the game it seems. Also, sometimes you make new aquaintances chatting with the people next to you.

DannyCaterFan
09-20-2005, 04:08 PM
I am going to tonight's game with my wife, but I wanted to go so bad last night, that I did go by myself. the biggest advantage was that I was able to get a very good seat behind home plate. I ended up sitting next to another "single" and enjoyed it tremendously.

Baby Fisk
09-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Took in several games solo while working as a vendor during the summer of 2000.

Took in the huge Labor Day win at Fenway Park by myself. It was almost impossible to get tickets since it was a make up game and it was on a national holiday. Had to pay a scalper $60 for a standing room seat and go in an inning late.

It was worth every penny to see BMac baffle the "potent" Red Sox offense that day...
Are you sure that's what happened? Because Rick Sutcliffe proclaimed that the Messiah Curt Schilling was BACK and he was UNSTOPPABLE, despite the ceaseless dribble of runs he kept giving up, and despite BMac mowing down Red Cubs like a machine. I mean, that's what ESPN was saying, so it must be true! :rolleyes:

chidonez
09-20-2005, 04:40 PM

All the time. What's better than hanging out on the outfield concourse chatting with strangers about baseball.

hsnterprize
09-20-2005, 06:48 PM
I've gone to games alone several times both as a fan and as a reporter. Obviously, you can't take anyone with you to the game if you're working it.

Being there by yourself is pretty nice...especially if you're normally lugging 3 small kids around. You can get up and move about as you please without a small child asking to go with you. I like taking my kids to the ballpark, but sometimes at their young age (3, 2, and 10 months), it can be a small strain on your ability to enjoy the game.

ode to veeck
09-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Usually I go with others, but there's about a third of the games that I go to that I am going by myself, as I can get much bettter photography done as well as ofton obtain better seats (singles)

pudge
09-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Only 90% of the time! Go for it and just chat up the Sox fans around you. Enjoy, my friend! :smile:

What the hell fellas, someone step up and get this girl a date!

Seriously though, the best part about going alone is that you can get a great seat at face value.

starboy0
09-20-2005, 07:06 PM
I get the 9 game package for a solo seat. I can't find many people who want to go to the park as much as I do. I teach and have the summers off so a lot of times people are just working. In addition to the 9 game plan I'll buy tickets for family, friends and myself.

I love getting there early and then after the game hanging out till I'm kicked out. Even by myself I just enjoy the the whole experience.

I always find people to talk baseball with.

soxjim
09-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Yes I have. In fact thats how I met my wife. We were on a bus trip to the game in 1993.

ChiSoxGirl
09-20-2005, 11:32 PM
What the hell fellas, someone step up and get this girl a date!

Seriously though, the best part about going alone is that you can get a great seat at face value.

Awww.... :redface:

TornLabrum
09-20-2005, 11:51 PM
I'll chime in late. I've gone to most of my games alone this year. If you can't enjoy yourself as company, who can you enjoy?

BTW, doing so last night didn't prevent me from being hoarse all day today...and watching on TV tonight isn't going to prevent that for tomorrow either.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2005, 12:39 AM
I've gone to a bunch of games by myself and haven't minded them. Sox fans are so great to be around that it's like you're with friends even if you do go by yourself...Gotta love Sox fans!

dugwood31
09-21-2005, 12:40 AM
I go to about 20 games a year. And seven or eight are by myself. I find I watch the game more closely when I don't have other people distracting me. I went to KC for the weekend series in April by myself too, that was a lot of fun (don't feel sorry for me, my wife was working overseas for a few months -- she left on opening day).

TDog
09-21-2005, 12:46 AM
Most of the games I've been to in my life, I've gone alone. I've taken girlfriends (one at a time) on road trips to Anaheim when I lived in Arizona, but I usually went alone. Occasionally there was a group thing to San Diego or BOB, where I've never seen a game alone. When I was in Wisconsin, though, I almost always went to the games alone. I never minded. Often I would meet people I knew.

In Wisconsin I went to some Brewers games with my boss and that wasn't good because he believed in always leaving early. And he was my boss, so there wasn't any debate. I think he only hired me so he could push me around.

He's in Mankato now, but I live in an MLB free time zone.:(:

rdivaldi
09-21-2005, 01:06 AM
I usually don't go to games by myself, but I did attend one of the Sox/Dodgers games this year solo. Couldn't find anyone to go with because it was father's day, but I just couldn't let the tickets go to waste.

Frankfan4life
09-21-2005, 01:07 AM
I actually went to the White Sox/cubs game at Wrigley by myself this year. All I could get was one ticket. It felt a little funny at first, but I actually had a good time. It was a really cold day and the guy sitting next to me gave me a blanket. Oh, and the best part is, the Sox won.

chisoxmike
09-21-2005, 01:09 AM
There's nothing wrong with go to a game by yourself. I went to the game by myself on Monday (9/19) and numerous times this year and in years past. Its great, I just grab my hot dog and beer and enjoy a game.

mike squires
09-21-2005, 01:20 AM
I don't trust my city driving skills enough to go to a ballgame by myslef. I sure wish I did...I'd go more often.

MrRoboto83
09-21-2005, 01:24 AM
I watch most games by myself in my living room, so I have no problem going to the game by myself. I usually run into someone else that is doing the same thing and start up some nice Sox talk.

ThatGuyOnTheL
09-21-2005, 01:28 AM
I go to 95% of games alone, and tonight was no exception. I just pack 2 lunches on Monday/Tuesday mornings, get a $7 ticket, and have myself a picnic dinner instead of coming home and watching the Sox game on TV - any of you who were up on the fan deck Monday evening can attest to this :D:

Then again, I'm an only child, so doing stuff by myself seems 100% normal. Heck, I even played 1-person baseball as a kid.

Chips
09-21-2005, 01:35 AM
I have never been to a game by myself, I almost did yesterday (9/19) because The Dude had a test the next morning (where are his priorities) and his replacement took forever to get there, so I almost went alone, but he showed up just before game time. I have gone to the bar by myself before.

podsednikchick
09-21-2005, 02:29 AM
Yeah I go to probably around 90-95% of the games by myself too. Despite that I get tired of being asked, "Are you here by yourself? Why are you by yourself? You didn't come with anyone?" all of the time, I don't mind it at all. There aren't any distractions, I don't miss any of the game, and if I feel like talking to people, I always find other fans nearby to chat with. Besides it is much easier to get excellent "single" tickets.

Huisj
09-21-2005, 03:23 AM
I just went by myself for the first time tonight, and what a heck of a game to choose to go to that way. It was a total spur of the moment decision this afternooon to do it because I really don't have a very busy week at all at school so far. I kept score the whole game, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing (well the trip home took a little long with the traffic crap on 57 south). A guy sitting in front of me was there kind of in the same circumstance as me (minus the drive) and we had a great time exchanging high fives and chatting here and there about stuff going on in the game.

chitownhawkfan
09-21-2005, 05:56 AM
I cant do it all that often, but once in a while it is really nice to get a Scorecard and not be distracted of having to talk to anybody.

mccoydp
09-21-2005, 07:38 AM
I never went to a White Sox game by myself, but I go to Norfolk Tides games alone. I really enjoy being able to forget about everything and not be bothered by anyone else accompanying me.

Kuzman
09-21-2005, 08:01 AM
I went to my first game by myself this year. It was Aug. 17th against the Twins. Buehrle v. Santana

Got some vouchers from my work. (Motorola) and I got a 3rd row outfield seat.

Best thing about going to games by yourself is you can squeak up to those empty seats that are never occupied becuase theres only 1 seat left. :gulp:

mrs. hendu
09-21-2005, 08:58 AM
I've been to a game alone once and it was a winner. When you're alone, sometimes people will start talking to you anyway.

MeteorsSox4367
09-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Since I'm such a baseball and Sox nerd, I actually like going to games by myself. I can concentrate on the game while keeping score and not have to chit-chat with someone if I don't want to.

Plus, I can go in the gift shop and buy the 20th Sox t-shirt that I own and not have to listen to anyone ask me if I don't have enough t-shirts already.

This is STILL our year!! Go Sox!!

Chez
09-21-2005, 09:54 AM
I travel for work a lot and usually go to several games a year by myself to other parks -- always fun. I've been to a few Sox games by myself (usually when the weather is bad and can't find anyone to go with me) and always dread the possibility of running into someone I know and having them think, "what kind of a loser goes to a game by himself?"

XplodingScorbord
09-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Been to a game solo a few times. It's great! Especially if it's a WHITE SOX WINNER!

Soxfest
09-21-2005, 03:54 PM
I have a couple of times and had alot of fun