PDA

View Full Version : Role of Pitching Coach

Frankly Missing
09-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Last night it was pointed out that the Sox have lost 12 games when leading going into the 7th inning and later. I have no tdea how this stat matches up with any other contending team.

It appears many posters feel Ozzie doesnt manage the bull pen correctly and gives his starters too much rope.

I am no expert on this subject, but even the most casual of fan can't help but notice Ozzie will pull a reliever that is being effective for some fathom match up.

I have to believe that Ozzie MUST feel he has had more success than failure using a revolving door for his bull pen.

My question is this........how much input does the pitching coach have during the game? Do proven managers like Torre, La Russa, and Cox do their own thing or do they take input from their bench coaches.

Are pitching coaches "yes" men during the game or do they have more value than running out to the mound and saying "throw a strike"?

Footnote: I still believe!

Frater Perdurabo
09-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Well, I don't know about pitching coach, but I do know that my wife - who is not a baseball fan but has watched a handful of Sox games on WGN this year - is smart enough not to put Marte in the game in the first place.

If Cooper is recommending to Ozzie that he bring in Marte, then my wife is smarter than Cooper in that respect. If Ozzie is bringing in Marte despite Cooper's better advice to the contrary, then Ozzie is a stubborn fool.