PDA

View Full Version : Random Pods question

DrummerGeorgefan
09-20-2005, 10:18 AM
I have watched many many games and am starting to come to a realization about #22. He is often 0-2 in a count from the start. He usually takes the first pitch and often doesnt swing until the 3rd pitch.

While this may be his general approach at the plate,and he has battled to 3-2 counts a bunch, beign down 0-2 will really handicap a hitter, especially one who needs to get on base.

Does anyone have stats on how often Pods has been down 0-2 in a count?

Frater Perdurabo
09-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Yes, Pods often seems to have it in his mind that taking a walk is the best possible way for him to get on base and only begins to swing at pitches when he has two strikes. This apparently has served him well so I'm not going to criticize him for it.

Not to hijack, but although Pods has been unable to steal bases and get into pitchers' heads the way he did during the first half, during the last seven games Pods is hitting .364 with a .417 OBP. He's clearly on a tear getting on base.

Where the Sox offense has faltered lately is with the 2 and 3-holes. If those spots could get hot, Pods would see even more good pitches to hit and the offense would start to make up for the less-than-stellar pitching. As long as Pods isn't as much of a threat to steal right now (because of his lingering injury that won't really get better until he can get many weeks of rest during the offseason), patience at the plate isn't necessarily what the Sox need in a #2 hitter at this particular moment.

Perhaps it might be time to move Rowand to #2. He seems to hit better higher in the lineup, did very well last year near the top and the 2002-2004 splits seem to demonstrate this as well. In 277 ABs in the #2 spot, Rowand hit .336 with a .502 SLG and an .877 OPS from 2002-2004. In 2005, in an admittedly small sample size, Rowand has hit a mammoth .625 with a herculean 1.000 SLG and a juggernaut 1.588!!! OPS in the #2 hole. Rowand also has good speed and could be a threat to steal if the Sox do decide to run against a pitcher with a particularly slow delivery.

With Rowand batting second, Iguchi could drop to a run-producing role as the #3 hitter, with Konerko hitting cleanup and Everett or Dye batting fifth.

SoxFan76
09-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Iguchi is a great idea in the 3 hole. Everett, great job on that clutch home run last night, but other than that he hasn't done anything lately. Iguchi is a middle of the order hitter in Japan, and I think it would be a great way for him to display his power more. I know he's done a great job in the 2 hole all year, but that's when Podsednik was guaranteed to make 2nd base and Iguchi could move him over. When Podsednik gets on base now, he isn't stealing. Rowand is a double machine, he hits a gapper, bam 2nd and 3rd no outs...possibly a man on 2nd and a 1-0 Sox lead.

mdep524
09-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Iguchi is a great idea in the 3 hole. Everett, great job on that clutch home run last night, but other than that he hasn't done anything lately. Iguchi is a middle of the order hitter in Japan, and I think it would be a great way for him to display his power more. I know he's done a great job in the 2 hole all year, but that's when Podsednik was guaranteed to make 2nd base and Iguchi could move him over. When Podsednik gets on base now, he isn't stealing. Rowand is a double machine, he hits a gapper, bam 2nd and 3rd no outs...possibly a man on 2nd and a 1-0 Sox lead. Great points by Frater and SoxFan. Tadahito was ideal for the number 2 hole when Pods was running and when advancing him was the number one priority. Since Scotty is not running effectively right now, there's no reason Aaron can't bat 2nd.

Podsednik
Rowand
Iguchi
Konerko
Everett
Dye
Pierzynski
Uribe
Crede

That line up looks stronger to me-especially in the middle-than what we've seen lately. Of course, offense hasn't been the main problem lately! If the starters (I'm looking at you, Buehrle and Freddy!) and relievers (Marte!!...but mostly Ozzie's decision-making) get the job done, the line up isn't really an issue at all.

Flight #24
09-20-2005, 12:37 PM
I've been somewhat surprised of late that they haven't hit & run Pods & Iguchi more frequently. You'd think with Tadahito's bat control, he'd be great at slapping the ball to the left sidein the area vacated as the SS moves to cover 2d.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-20-2005, 12:41 PM
I've been somewhat surprised of late that they haven't hit & run Pods & Iguchi more frequently. You'd think with Tadahito's bat control, he'd be great at slapping the ball to the left sidein the area vacated as the SS moves to cover 2d.

I gotta believe there's limited confidence on Pods from his groin pull. I like the idea of Rowand hitting # 2...it can't hurt.

SoxFan76
09-20-2005, 01:06 PM
I gotta believe there's limited confidence on Pods from his groin pull. I like the idea of Rowand hitting # 2...it can't hurt.

He's still got speed, it's his initial jump that has suffered from his groin injury. So yeah, they should be hitting and running(? that doesn't sound right) more often.

Paulwny
09-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Yes, Pods often seems to have it in his mind that taking a walk is the best possible way for him to get on base and only begins to swing at pitches when he has two strikes. This apparently has served him well so I'm not going to criticize him for it.

Pods needs to turn on a few of the "get me over" fast balls he's seeing. I realize his main job is to get on base, but when a pitcher knows a batter is looking to walk or not driving the ball he'll throw "get me over" fast balls early in the count.
Bubba Crosby made the orioles pay with a "get me over ' pitch last night.