PDA

View Full Version : The Marte/Cotts situation

mdep524
09-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Why in the hell does Ozzie have so much confidence in Marte as his late-inning lefty? What has Marte done to earn that? What about Cotts? I believe his OBA is around .160. One-bloody-60! That means Cotts, unlike Marte, gets the damn job done when he's in there. This is an important topic, and probably deserves its own thread. What planet is Ozzie Guillen living on in which he thinks Damaso Marte is even close to Neal Cotts, let alone better?

There is simply no excuse for it anymore, and I don't think its hyperbole to say this situation rivals the Billy Koch/Tom Gordon '03 and Billy Koch/Shingo Takatsu '04 situations. Our manager insists on putting a horribly unreliably, formerly dominant pitcher on the mound in crucial situations seemingly some personal crusade just to prove a point.

I don't want to sit around wondering if we're going to get the aggressive, dominant Marte, or the 3-0 meatball Marte. We have other options- this is a good bullpen!! Cotts, Politte and Jenks can handle righties and lefties! Plus, how does a guy go from having a terrible week on the mound, ditching his team, screaming at his manager and being left for dead in Ozzie's doghouse... to immediately returning to the set up role? What's going on, Ozzie?

There's a guy getting the job done and one who isn't, just use the better frickin' pitcher!! There's no need to "prove" Marte is the man. Let Marte get his work in pitching to one batter in the 6th inning, and give Cotts a more prominent role in the 7th or 8th, sharing the set up role with Politte. Anything other than that is inexcusable right now.

:kmarte = :bkoch:

Frater Perdurabo
09-20-2005, 11:02 AM
AMEN!

akingamongstmen
09-20-2005, 12:24 PM
This whole situation is driving me nuts. It's so plain to see that Marte has been below-average this year, and yet he continues to pitch in critical situations. At this point, I would honestly rather see Viz in there. He's shown that he can get tough lefties out in the past. At the very least, he might avoid walking every other guy that he faces.

Baby Fisk
09-20-2005, 12:26 PM
For god's sake, there's not even a cadre of diehard Marte defenders here at WSI. THAT'S HOW HORRID HE IS! :o:

nodiggity59
09-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Is Politte hurt? I know he hasn't had his best fastball for a while....

BeviBall!
09-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Ozzie continues to show loyality to El Duque and Marte. It makes no sense... just gets him two more Xmas cards in the mail.

We discussed this ad nauseum in the post game thread. Cotts has done all he can but Ozzie doesn't seem interested. He was quicker to pull Herm from the closer role and hand it off to a kid who has been here all of 45 days... why Cotts can't supplant Marte is head-scratching and vomit-inducing.

Brian26
09-20-2005, 12:46 PM
I believe Cotts' ERA now, since the All-Star Break, is around 0.42. He's given up 1 earned run in his last 22 innings. Granted, those are situational appearances, mostly lefty vs. lefty, but you just can't overlook a stat like that. I have all the confidence in the world in Neal right now.

maurice
09-20-2005, 12:48 PM
It's not just Cotts, though he is the primary victim. Ozzie is obsessed with pulling an effective reliever after 1 or 2 batters under the nonsensical guise of "matchups," while leaving an ineffective pitcher in long enough to blow the game. It's total BS.

Last night, he used 6 pitchers in a span of 7 outs (2.1 IP). :angry:

PatK
09-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Maybe Ozzie is possessed by Jerry Manuel.

tlebar318
09-20-2005, 01:22 PM
yeah, last night was ridiculous--I am not sure why Cotts couldn't have stayed in a bit longer before Vizcaino and Marte came in and ruined all of our evenings...Cotts looks good right now and should get more opportunity--Marte scares the crap out of me every time he comes in....

mdep524
09-20-2005, 01:27 PM
It's never good to see a player fall from grace with a manager or get injured, but I actually felt RELIEVED when I heard Marte was out for the rest of the season. The when he came back, I became worried again. I knew Ozzie would misuse him. Very Billy Koch-esque.

PaulDrake
09-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Cotts has done all he can but Ozzie doesn't seem interested. He was quicker to pull Herm from the closer role and hand it off to a kid who has been here all of 45 days... why Cotts can't supplant Marte is head-scratching and vomit-inducing. I don't understand either. His comments in 04 lead me to believe he was high on Neal. Now he's pitching better than he ever did and Ozzie neglects him in favor of a guy who's coming apart at the seams. Please someone explain it to me.

Jaffar
09-20-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm glad somebody else started this thread. I was riding such a high with the Sox taking the lead and then shutting down the toons. As soon as I saw Marte I threw my hat across the room (which my dog chewed up because I forgot about it) and just walked into my kitchen, slammed a few cabinets then went back in and felt like I did the first 4 innings AND MARTE HADN"T EVEN THROWN A PITCH YET!

mmmmmbeeer
09-20-2005, 01:54 PM
It was set up perfectly. Tie ballgame, top of 7. Pulled Garcia, put in Cotts to face the lefty. Well done, Oz, you're setting up the ole 7th Cotts, 8th Politte, 9th Jenks deal which all but guarantees us a win. Neal quickly gets his two outs and goes to the dugout. Wait, Peralta is leading off the 8th....well, that's alright because either neal will stay in or, per the plan, Politte will be facing the tough righty, but with Hafner and Martinez on deck and in the hole, Neal may be a better choice to pitch the 8th. Commercial break. VIZCAINO?!?!?!?!? HUH?!?!?!? He's not part of the plan. Vizcaino manages to get Peralta, although Neal probably could have accomplished the same thing. So now what? Vizcaino against Hafner and VMart? nah. Must be planning on bringing in big bad bobby considering his splits against lefties. MARTE?!?!?!?! HUH?!?!? The guy that just quit the team a week ago, in a critical game!? The rest is history. The cleveland announcers were giddily shocked at the mismanagement of the bullpen by the great Oz. He used 4 pitchers to get 4 outs JUST because he didn't want Cotts, who dominates RH hitters, to face Peralta. HORRIBLE managing.

rm0824
09-20-2005, 02:16 PM
I believe Cotts' ERA now, since the All-Star Break, is around 0.42. He's given up 1 earned run in his last 22 innings. Granted, those are situational appearances, mostly lefty vs. lefty, but you just can't overlook a stat like that. I have all the confidence in the world in Neal right now.

Exactly. Plus, he used to be a starter. I'm pretty sure he can pitch more than 2/3 of an inning. It's not a sin for LHP to throw to a RH batter. These matchups that Ozzie does will be what does the Sox in.

HotelWhiteSox
09-20-2005, 02:18 PM
What I don't get about the Cotts situation is why he is only used for one batter, or two maximum! He can handle innings, he came up as a top prospect starter. This is an example where Ozzie claims he goes with his gut but wastes the best arms in the pen with his situational matchups

wdelaney72
09-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Marte sucks. Case closed.